2005 Buick LaCrosse lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Buick LaCrosse:

2005 Buick LaCrosse Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jun 012015

For months prior at night my low beams would dim and get brighter periodically. Then as I was driving one morning I began to smell an electrical burning smell. Luckily I was on my way home which was less than a half mile away. When I got home I opened the hood and saw smoke coming from the fuse box. I immediately disconnected the negative battery cable and proceeded to investigate what happened. Upon further investigation the hdm module had failed and was melted right into the fuse block. If I had driven any longer than I did I feel like my car would have certainly caught fire. Luckily I got home safe and prevented any further damage from my car.

- Little Falls, NY, USA

Aug 242015

When driving home from a meeting about 30 miles from home my headlights went out. I tried to switch to manual control of the headlights it didn't work. The only light that I could use my the temporary bright lights when there were no other cars were coming in the opposite direction. The following day I went to gusweiler GM center to find out what happened. They said it was the headlamp driver module relay. I had them make the repair at a cost of $160.29.

- Washington Court House, OH, USA

Jul 162015

My vehicle started flashing, chiming, giving service ABS, service tc, service brakes messages, air bag indicator lit up, and turn signals started having longer and longer pauses between clicks at random times during a two week period. I took the vehicle for a computer diagnostic. I was notified everything indicated the instrument panel is the problem: The computer is not connecting to the various parts of the vehicle.

- Arcadia, FL, USA

Jun 152013

The contact owns a 2005 Buick Lacrosse. While driving 65 mph, the low beam head lamps failed to function. The contact independently replaced the head lamp bulbs; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the head lamp bulbs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Jun 202013

The 2005 Buick Lacrosse exhibits exactly the same hdm relay failure as described in NHTSA campaign number: 14V755000. The hdm module can overheat and fail which causes the headlights or daytime running lights to fail to light. In the overheating situation the hdm relay seems to shunt the battery current which causes enough heat to melt the fuse panel, and killing the battery. I have replaced the fuse panel, and relay and with new equipment and the lights worked again. The hdm module has since failed again at 69000 miles, although I caught it before the fuse panel was melted. Expand NHTSA campaign number: 14V755000 to include 2005 Buick Lacrosse vehicles as well.

- Plano, TX, USA

Sep 092013

LaCrosse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Buick Lacrosse. While driving at night, the headlights turned off independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000. Updated 04/13/15 the consumer stated each time the lights went out, it would be for a few minutes before they came back on. Updated 6/29/2015

- Roann, IN, USA

Sep 192014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Driving down the road lost low beam headlights as well as day time lights, smelled small burning odor and discovered the headlight control in the fuse panel to be over heating and beginning to burn a hole in the fuse panel under the hood. Have read of this happening to several of these cars with the fuse panel being the direct source due to wires shorting out internally, why is this car not included in the recent recall?

- Belmont, NH, USA

Oct 152011

The contact owns a 2005 Buick Lacrosse. While driving 30 mph, the low beam headlights shut off intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 212014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

This has happened multiple times, when driving at night, the headlamps will go off. There are other times that during the day, the message center display, radio and HVAC displays will go extremely dim. Is this a fault with the daylight sensor? regardless, I do not appreciate having a car go down the road where the headlamps go out. I couldn't see. I was able to turn on the high beams and could see again. Next time I started the car, everything was fine. I am entering this information for my mother.

- Novi, MI, USA

Nov 102011

The contact owns a 2005 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the headlights shut off without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the body control module needed to be replaced. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Orland Hills, IL, USA

Mar 122014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

While driving at night low beams stop working. High beams work. Numerous complaints are located on various websites of same issue. Dealers cant fix.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Dec 112012

LaCrosse 6-cyl

My daughter has a 2005 Buick Lacrosse that the electrical system shuts off different items that can be dangerous at night. The headlights (dims) will shut off, the radio will turn off or the lights for it will dim or shut off, the dash lights dim or turn off completely, then take quite a while to come back on. Sometimes it affects only different parts of those listed above. The issue is we have had it into a repair shop at least twice for it and they have replace some parts they thought could cause it, but it hasn't stopped it from happening. It is only noticeable in the evenings when the lights are needed but it happens at any time but when you want to duplicate the problem. No one seems to know what the problem is because when we get it to the shop, the problems are no longer showing up. It has done this for her at least 6 times.

- Mason City, IA, USA

Apr 292013

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Driving along road and lights automatically shuts off on low beam and when you switch to high beams they will stay on automatic day run lights will shut off. Replaced relay #35 and lights worked for a couple of months and they went out again and now 05/04/2014 they are still shutting off.

- Montezuma, GA, USA

Sep 162013

The contact own a 2005 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the headlights would flicker on and off independently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 114,500 and the current mileage was 115,001.

- Pawnee Rock, KS, USA

Jul 272013

The contact owns a 2005 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that was driving approximately 3 mph and activated the headlights however, the driver's side head lamp illumination was extremely dim. In addition, whenever the high beam headlights were engaged, the driver's side head lamp would not illuminate. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 107,175.

- South Point , OH, USA

Feb 122012

LaCrosse 6-cyl

I was driving out interstate taking my daughter and grandkids home it was dark and all the sudden my headlights went off, had to try and get pulled over to shoulder I was scared I would wreck because I could not see where I was going, got pulled over and after turning car off and on several times finally after about 30 mins or so my headlights came back on. I never know when this is vgoing to happen and it frightens me to think I could have a serious accident with my 8yr old child in the car with me. The dealer I purchased from will not work with me to get this properly fixed.

- Waynesville, MO, USA

Mar 172013

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Low beam headlight stop working (both).

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Dec 142012

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Low beam head lights went out while driving. I pull to the shoulder changed the switch setting from auto to on. This did not help. I drove home on high beams. As I entered the driveway the low beams came back on. This is the second time the lights have gone out only to come back on after a few minutes.

- Vidor, TX, USA

Jul 012011

This has happened numerous times. Our headlights will go out at night or anytime. We were almost in an accident on March 24,2012 with myself and my 2 children because of this there was oncoming traffic and I dimmed my light and then everything went black I couldn't see the road and the other car just missed from hitting my vehicle. Please help it is very scary. There has been a time that this happened and then for 3 days afterwards I still didn't have any lights dim or bright.

- Ladysmith, WI, USA

Mar 012008

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Low beams intermittently fail at night, then self-restore within a few minutes. High beams work. Already changed the signal arm switch, the headlamp in-dash switch, the relay in the fusebox, both headlamp assemblies. Homestead Chevrolet/Cadillac dealer and various "smart" mechanic shops seem to be outwitted by this one.

- Homestead, FL, USA