2012 Buick Verano engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Buick Verano:

2012 Buick Verano Owner Comments

Aug 112016

I was at a stop sign and when it was my turn to go I started to drive and realized my car was not accelerating, I had the gas peddle all the way to the floor as a tractor trailer was fastly approaching my rear bumper, luckly I was able to coast to median. Took to dealer and they said there was a switch that needed to be replaced. My entire dashboard lights and radio went out, which dealership had to replace twice. My car shut off while pulling into a parking spot, it was raining and defrost was not working, took to dealership which they stated it was my battery, paid $200 for a new battery. My car jerks and stalls when I am going from a complete stop and begin to pick up speed. I was backing out a parking spot today and my car shut off and the check engine light came on, I restarted my car which the check engine light remains on and the stalling and jerking continues. These issues can cause a major accident and if severe enought can be life threatening. If I am required to hold up my end of the bargain by paying my car note the manufacturers need to be held accountable for their end of the bargain which is providing their buyers with a secure and reliable vehicles for families.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 172016

Husband was driving car home on a 6 hour road trip. The check engine light came on. Everytime he would slow down to a stop or near stop the car would shut off. Engine sounds like it is missing. I had onstar run their diagnostic and they said issue with timing system, error code P0010. What if he would have been killed on highway because of this. Reading other complaints it looks like we are not the only ones who had this issue.

- Gallitzin, PA, USA

May 122016

The contact owns a 2012 Buick Verano. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 112,000.

- Wewoka, OK, USA

Oct 262015

10/26/15 - car wouldn't start; recv'd jump, replaced battery ($169.40). 11/6/15 - came out of restaurant, car wouldn't start. Got jump took to dealer. Dealer replaced starter and issue resolved. 11/12-11/21: Car stalled 8-10 more documented times both when backing out of parking spot in reverse and at vehicle speeds varying from 35mph to 67mph on 5 lane interstate during rush hour. Took to dealer and called GM. Replaced two solenoids and some hose, keeping car so tech can drive for 2 days to see if problem can be replicated. I can't determine a cause or pattern and don't get any prior warning, so hoping it does occur in their possession during testing. This vehicle is unreliable and very dangerous. I almost caused a multiple vehicle accident on the interstate and risk injury or death by operating this vehicle. My family is at risk, myself and other motorists. GM says there is no problem but after seeing the numerous complaints on as well as several other online forums, it is clear that GM is trying to avoid another issue with their vehicles. I have owned GM products since turning 16 and this is completely unacceptable. I have been provided with a dealership loaner and will refuse to take my Verano back as I do not feel safe driving or owning this vehicle. Currently have open complaint with GM but do not have resolution at the time of this complaint.

- Pacific, MO, USA

Nov 142015

Today I was driving my 2012 Buick Verano and without any advanced notice (ie.. lights illuminated on dashboard) my vehicle lost power and just started to creep to a full stop. The dashboard was black nothing to tell me what the problem was. Thank god they have created a large pull off on the highway or I would have been really hurt. I tried several time to restart my vehicle the restarting process was not the problem it was putting the car in gear every time I tried to put the vehicle in gear it would shut off and the engine light is now on.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 062014

The contact owns a 2012 Buick Verano. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled intermittently several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. However, the technician was not able to replicate or diagnose the failure. The vehicle was to be taken back to an authorized dealer for further inspection and diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 122013

Verano 4-cyl

From the time I leased the car in August of 2012, the car always stalled from time to time. I took it in 2 months after I purchased it for the stalling, but they didn't find anything wrong with it. Once in March of 2014 I turned my car on and went to put the car in drive and it wouldn't shift. I tried multiples times, but it wouldn't shift. I turned the car off and back on and then the gear moved to drive. On July 12, 2014, the car actually turned off while I was driving it. I was leaving work and as I proceeded to exit my jobs parking lot, the car turned off and I noticed the malfunction light was on. I immediately called Buick/onstar to report the problem. I drove the car home because I didn't want to be stranded at work because I work for a school and it was closed for the day. Anyway, the car was attempting to turn off the entire drive home which is about a 25 minute drive. The Buick/onstar representative stayed on the phone with me to make sure I was safe and when I arrived home a tow truck arrived shortly after to tow my car to the Buick dealer that I purchased the car from. I received the car back 2 weeks later and they informed me that the cables connected to the battery were loose and that they had fixed it. I drove the car for another 2 weeks and one day I went to drive it and it wouldn't start. So, I called Buick again, they towed it again and it has now been back at the Buick dealer for a little over 2 weeks now. I have one of their loaner cars in my possession now. I do not want this car back because I can't be sure that the car won't cut off on me while I'm driving on the expressway or anywhere which could result in an accident. They need to recall this model because I've read other comments where people have had the same issues. A car randomly cutting off while you're driving it is just not safe!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 042014

Verano 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Buick Verano. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted and operated normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,594. Updated 9/12/14 updated 1/26/15

- Garden Valley , CA, USA

Oct 142013

Verano 4-cyl

The vehicle is unreliable, unpredictable and dangerous to drive, since you do not have any warning or know when and where the engine will die. The engine died while driving 60 mph on a two lane highway, leaving only a few seconds to steer onto the shoulder. The car would not restart. This was following an earlier electrical system problem four weeks before in which multiple warning lights stayed on after starting the engine and the transmission would not go into gear (we were told this was caused by the battery being installed over a portion of the wiring harness and eventually cutting the wires). This was repaired by replacing several computer modules and portions of the wring harness. The earlier repair, was double checked by another Buick dealership and we were assured that the vehicle was fully repaired and safe to drive. The 60 mph failure was attributed to a chafed wire shorting out and blowing a fuse. The day following the latest repair the engine died again, while driving 45 mph. The car would not restart. Before beginning the next repair, the electrical system drained the battery overnight. We were told two days ago, that a new main computer and four coils were replaced. We have been told since then, that the car was ready to be picked up in the morning and then called the next day and was told more test were required. It is now 7 days later, and GM engineers and the dealer are still trying to diagnose the root cause and find a solution. We have been told repeatedly that this is the first auto of its kind, with this problem for a Buick Verano. Day 28/18, dealer called this morning and told us they have now found a ground fault in the wiring harness. The service manager told us he would want his wife to drive this car. We don't drive it either...updated 12/17/13

- Ferandina Beach, FL, USA

Oct 142013

Verano 4-cyl

This Buick Verano has cascading electrical system problems. While driving at highway speed the engine stopped and would not restart. This left my wife with only a few seconds to steer the car to the shoulder. It was a dangerous situation just past the crest of a bridge. The car was towed to the dealer and we were informed that a frayed wire had shorted out and blew a fuse. Two days later the car was "repaired" and died in a similar fashion. After a week's consultation with GM we were informed the car was "fixed". the service manager stated he would not want his wife to drive this car. So we won't either. This followed a repair a month before which was caused by the battery being installed over a portion of the wiring harness. These problems started at 11 months and 11,237 miles. Still unresolved.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Oct 182012

Verano 4-cyl

While driving at 65 mph in the right lane of a 4-lane divided highway, my engine quit, and all gauges went dark. I had steering, brakes, turn signal and hazard lights, and telephone. I was losing speed, and was unable to accelerate. However, I was able to coast to the shoulder of the highway. I was not able to restart the car. I put on the hazard lights and used my cell phone to call the dealer. After 10 - 15 minutes of waiting, I was able to restart the car. A representative from the dealer had just arrived and followed me to the dealership. They kept the car overnight. They could not duplicate the episode, so they reset the computer. I am suspicious that the computer activated the engine immobilizer feature. The engine stall was preceded by several instances of the intellilink screen going dark, as though the light bulb had burned out.

- West Burlington, IA, USA

Jul 042012

The contact owns a 2012 Buick Verano. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 7,000 and the current mileage was 7,700.

- Riverdale , UT, USA