1. replace oil filter manifold gasket (2 reports)
2004 Cadillac CTS engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Cadillac CTS:

2004 Cadillac CTS Owner Comments

Jun 132012

CTS 3.6L

I bought this car used & it started leaking shortly afterwards. The leak got worse & worse until I couldn't put it off anymore. Read online that it was most likely the oil filter manifold gasket so I went and bought a new gasket for about $10. Also read it takes about 6 hours to get it put on. After buying the gasket & seeing the obvious quality of it's design & getting about 2 hours into the replacement process, I got to where I could finally get a wrench on all five bolts & simply tightened them down. Problem solved. I've been driving it for almost a year since with no reocurrence.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 012010

CTS Sport 3.6L

Huge oil leak showed up at 100,000 km, 1 liter of oil A DAY!! Took it to a mechanic and he told me had to REPLACE THE ENGINE, WTF!! Took it to Cadillac, quoted 25 hours labour plus parts!! They said they were going to have to pull the engine. Very hard to see. Pouring out above air conditioner pump. Ended up taking driver side wheel off and crawled up and found the leak. $10.30 gasket on the oil filter manifold. Took me 6 hours to fix. You have to remove air cleaner assy, power steering pump, air conditioning pump, belt tensioner. 5 bolts hold the oil filter manifold on. Bolts must be tightened in right sequence and to 17 ft/lbs torque.

This problem could easily destroy an engine if it showed up while you were driving on the highway. My old Grand Marquis would tell me if I was down 1 liter of oil. This car only turns on the idiot light and that is when it is down 4 liters! Scared the sh&# out of me the first time it happened. Love the car but HATE the Cadillac Dealers.

- , Calgary, Alberta, Canada