CarComplaints.com Notes: It didn't take long for the cladding to fade, discolor, and in some cases crack. Cladding is the protective plastic piece that runs along the outside of vehicles, and exposure to both heat and UV rays give the Avalanche's cladding a chalky, faded appearance.

Owners have said the problem is especially bad on the panels near the cargo bed. Eventually, GM agreed to a one-time treatment of ArmorDillo, a protective treatment similar to what you find in any auto shop. Unfortunately, that would only help for 6 months (on average).

Eventually, GM offered another coating solution for owners within the 3 year / 36,000 mile original warranty under TSB:04-08-111-001C.

1.6

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

Dec 172016

Avalanche

I was driving to work 12/17/16, 5:40am. I was traveling to work and I lost all pressure in my pedal. Which led me to nearly hit a telephone pole. The master cylinder and a flex brake line going from the master cylinder to the brake booster(module) were replaced. But this did not fix the problem. I have bench bled the master cylinder, and all brake lines around the truck. I still have no brakes unless you push them to the floor. I have done some research, and found were other people with the same model and year truck have had the same problem. After reading all those blogs and post, I discovered that the model and year of Avalanche that I have was recalled for the ABS system for failure.

- Urbana, OH, USA

Dec 072015

Avalanche

The fuel lines rubbing together causing fuel to dump every where right next to the cat on the driver side of the truck N this is not a recall. Then I say its attepmed murder charge agaisnt Chevy....

- Lyndhurst, NJ, USA

Nov 162015

Avalanche

The instrument panel cluster does not light up. Cannot tell what gear I am shifting in and out of. The dic buttons on my steering wheel do not light up, cannot tell if I have a malfunction when driving during the dark. I did check for a recall on this and saw that there was an older one issued in 2005 and that it closed in 2011. I was not aware of any recalls but none the less I feel that with both components failing and not working properly can cause a potential problem when in operation (driving)

- Kempner, TX, USA

Jul 252015

Avalanche

The blower stopped working on my auto temp control and now won't shut off.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Oct 022012

Avalanche 8-cyl

At approx 47000 mi traveling at 65mph a heavy thud in the engine compartment that sounded like the whole engine block had dropped out, was able to coast off road to a vacant lot. Transmission toast with damage to ring and pinion gears, never towed anything, city driving to work and home mostly.(47K) miles. Really? 3500$ repair. Next speedometer failure at about 53K miles, im either going 0mph or 120mph. Also have lost alot of backlighting on my dashboard instrumentation along with cd player. Seems the cd player cannot eject a non existent cd, just makes clicking noise and says check disc. Now at 59K miles im experiencing the popping front end sound when turning sharply in reverse, possibly suspension or A-arm related have not looked into yet.

- Port Hueneme, CA, USA

Nov 242008

Avalanche

The speedometer in my '05 Avalanche stays at zero while driving or reads anywhere form 20-40 mph slower than I am going. I was doing about 50 mph on the freeway passing everyone (according to my speedometer) and passing everyone in sight. It felt a little fast so I turned on my gps and realized I was going about 80 mph. This is a major problem and GM needs to recall the vehicle.

- Thornton, CO, USA