2007 Chevrolet Avalanche accessories - interior problems: cracked dashboard

Cracked Dashboard

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

7.2

$2,000.00

1. the dash needs to be replaced as the defect may affect passe (17 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (12 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche:

ERROR -- [ CarComplaints.com ]

There's been an error - Database connection not made: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Please click your browser's Back button to try again.

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 052014

Avalanche LT 5.3L V8

The cracked dash is a MAJOR safety hazard!!!!! It could easily block or stop the airbag deployment!!!

- , Shiloh, IL, USA

Feb 242012

Avalanche LT 5.3L

At first, I thought it was just bad luck having my dashboard cracked but after hearing about all those owners with the same issue it really annoyed me. I started investigating and several models of 2007 have the same issue, including but not limited to Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche, Silverado.

I really thing this should start an investigation by Chevrolet and really determine if this was a massive defect on their models. If in fact this is a factory defect, Chevrolet should issue a recall or at least cover partial cost of the replacement.

I still have faith Chevrolet will do the right thing and if not, well, they will have a lot of unhappy faithful customers.

- , El Centro, California, USA

Jan 012014

Avalanche LT

One day a crack appeared right next to the passenger side airbag. Very frustrating because I keep my vehicles in excellent shape. I always worry about dings on the outside, turns out I need to worry about the flaws on the inside.

- , Loveland, Ohio, USA

Sep 292014

Avalanche L.X 5.3L

IT HAPPENED ALL OF A SUDDEN, THE RIGHT SIDE CRACKED FIRST THEN THE LEFT. IT LOOKS LIKE UNEVEN DASH. IF IT IS A RECALL CAN SOMEONE TELL ME, OR WHERE TO GO.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 132010

Avalanche LTZ V8

My dash is cracked in 3 different places. It's crazy, it takes away from the beauty of the vehicle. I'm tired of looking at the cracks.

- , Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Aug 112014

Avalanche Leather 5.7L

I have 2007 Chev Avalanche and at 40,000 the dash cracked right above the right side air bag. I took in to the dealer and it was replaced, no problem, and now it has cracked again and GM says no to replacing it.

I have worked in the auto industry for 40 years and I feel that this could be a very serious problem safety wise. Maybe the deployment of the air bag could function improperly causing possible death, or maybe the dash could break apart and cause serious injury. I guess that it will come down to death or injury for GM to take responsibly for this defect. I have taken further action and filed a people's claim against GM. Let's hope GM will step and take action

- , Fresno, California, USA

Jan 012012

Avalanche LT1 5.3L

The dash, just for no reason, cracked at the airbag on the passenger side and dash started a constant rattle.

- , Batesburg, South Carolina, USA

Apr 012014

Avalanche LT 5.3L V8

I have the same issue with the cracked dashboard directly above the passenger side air bag that hundreds of other Avalanche owners have. pointed out to dealer where I bought it and they claimed ignorance of this issue even tho I showed them the 100's of complaints in the net. Was told that GM not recognizing the issue to recall so dealer unwilling to correct unless I pay for it - I told them no way.

Last time I'll purchase GM if this is case as I've had numerous issues with this since I purchased new in 07 - numerous returns because of the infamous "wiring harness from hell" issues, numerous module replacements (fuel, airbag, bcm, and tire module sensors) and now this dashboard issue (which hopefully becomes a class action). Their product QA is terrible and worse is their customer care...

Update from Jul 23, 2014: Asked dealer to get GM local dealer involved and they did. GM rep not willing to ok dashboard replacement. I am very concerned about possible air bag deployment malfunction ( and potential GM liability)

- , Pittsburgh, PA - Pennsylvania, USA

Jul 012011

Avalanche LT

This is a bad problem and I waited too long to have it fixed and now it's really bad. The estimate for fixing the dash is almost $1500.00. This is a big problem on these trucks and there should really be a recall!!!!

- , Evans, GA, USA

Mar 282014

Avalanche

The Dash board cracked just from slamming door by grandson. Crack is above speedometer

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 302012

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L V8

I think there should be a recall on all 2007 and 2008 Chevrolet trucks,SUV's and Avalanche. Because we have invested too much money in our vehicles to have the dash just crack . GM should pay for all replacements caused and maybe a free oil change or two.

- , Prairieville, LA, USA

Mar 222013

Avalanche LTZ 5.6L V8

Apparently this is comon to 2007 Avalanches. A search on the net will find many complaints. GM has not agreed to address this. So, the buyer of the vehicle will either have to live with it or fix it. The crack is on the passenger side, extending fron the top left corner of the airbag to the next seam. From reports I am reading there will be others. Poor enginerring design.

- , Huron, TN, USA

Feb 042013

Avalanche LT 5.3L

Love the Avalanche for the ride and versatility - but it comes with "chevy squeaks" and issues - never in 40 yrs of driving have i ever had a dashboard crack without persuasion - and the rear window trim/seal cracked as well! Puddles in my car! ...great.

I do not care to spend hundreds to repair the dash - but it is an eyesore and will effect resale value...considered a 2013 Avalanche - but....

- , Fort Mill, SC, USA

Mar 022012

Avalanche LT 5,3

The Avalanche was a great truck until it started using oil and then the dash cracked.

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Mar 152012

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L V8

The Avalanche we purchased has been an outstanding vehicle in many ways and we painstakenly take care to preserve the looks and mechanics of the vehicle, BUT, when out of the blue the dash cracks for no apparent reason in two different places, it makes me wonder if they skimped any where else on the vehicle. I have been putting off having it repaired after learning from several other avalanche owners they have encountered the same problem in almost the exact locations as the cracks my dash. I've driven in other older vehicles (Ford & Ram) that haven't had near the care as my vehicle and alot more abuse by they're employees , and these dashboards seem to hold up very well and are still intact. What happen to the GM quality that we've been used to these past 30 or so years?

- , Florence, KY, USA

Jun 012012

Avalanche LX 5.2L V8

Just wanted to advice...at least I'm not the only one. But I do take care of my vehicle especially from the sun.

- , Falfurrias, TX, USA

Sep 122012

Avalanche

Not only did this happen to my Avalanche, but I'm also a service manager at a GM dealership. I see many complaints of this on this site and dash cracking is a known issue with GM C/K body vehicles 07 and up, however GM DOES stand behind the product. GM has given ALL dealers practically unlimited empowerment to aid customers in out-of-warranty situations. There are common-sense guidelines, such as salvaged vehicles, condition, etc, but ground-level GM dealerships ABSOLUTELY have the power to help. Many years ago GM needed to authorize all assistance, but not any longer. They've allowed us the power to SOLVE issues because they understand that jumping through hoops to get an issue resolved will NOT entice you to purchase GM again,even if the issue is handled. We can handle it immediately, in-house, without the complications. From what I read here, it appears that most are having a DEALER problem. There's still a lot of old-time dealership managers that aren't comfortable making those decisions, mainly because of the "old school" mentality of GM. You need to find you a dealer that will work WITH you.

Also, most people don't understand that GM pays the dealership for repairs performed under warranty or out-of-waranty assistance just as any other customer - we DON"T do it for free. It's a win-win for both of us to help all of our guests - you're happy, we make money, and everyone is happy, but MOST IMPORTANTLY we're allowed to take care of our guests in a manner that is SECOND TO NONE. There is NO other manufacturer that gives that kind of power and authority to their dealers, nor will help as much as GM. Unfortunately some dealers appear to remain old-school, but PLEASE don't let that change your perception of GM. If you can't get it resolved at the dealer level, please call GM customer assistance and they will definitely direct you to the appropriate place for resolution. Also remember, for those of you that scream Toyota, Honda, etc, that ALL dealerships have a service department attached to them for a reason, and if you visit those places you'll see just as many of their owners upset with their vehicle. All brands have issues, but it's how they're resolved that makes the difference.

- , Madison, TN, USA

Jul 202012

Avalanche LS 5.7L

I've have read all the numerous complaints about this issue! Believe me I was just as peeved about my cracked dash on my 2007 Avalanche as well and can feel everyone's pain! But the service I received from Power Chevy in Peoria, AZ is always top notch! My Avalanche has almost 60000 miles on it and out of warranty! My service adviser had the factory rep at the shop with him and his boss yesterday when I called to ask what could be done. Letting him know also of all the complaints I had read! Well my Avalanche is in the shop today having the dash replaced for a very good deal of $100. So I guess I'm a lucky dog! I think the problem really sucks for most but having a reputable dealer is a plus! Or Chevy has seen the problem as a real deal and maybe they have started doing something about it!

- , Avondale, AZ, USA

Apr 042011

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L

From what I've read already....this is some b*s* indeed.....u have this $32000 truck that was just purchased GM Certified, and don't have it a month, when the damn dashboard just made a loud pop, and you look to find a 6 inch crack at the corner of the passenger airbag cover...WTF!!!...i raised the front dash panel thinking there was a screw that may have been overtightened at the factory or something, and behold...NOTHING!!!....just a damn crack that just burns my "S"..beyond all means....here i am gonna show off this beauty of truck until someone gets inside and asks what happened!!......talk about eye sore, and not knowing really what to do about it..just a bad reminder every time i get in and go somewhere....RRRRRRRR!!!!

- , Leachville, AR, USA

Jul 072012

Avalanche Z71

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I bought my 2007 Avalanche new. I absolutely love my truck, and it has been very well taken care of. The first weekend of July, we noticed that the dash was cracked by the passenger side airbag and above the operator control panel. I started doing a little research to see if I was the only one having this problem, and to my surprise, I see pictures that look identical to mine! Has anyone been able to have their dash replaced by Chevrolet at the dealers expense? I believe that Chevrolet should recall these vehicles!!!

- , Kentwood, LA, USA