2.6

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

Nov 012016

Avalanche

Nothing seriious has happened yet, but I now have a crack in my dashboard and am concerned about the airbag deploying properly. There have been many GM car owners with the same complaint and GM is doing nothing about it.

- Harleysville, PA, USA

May 272016

Avalanche

Takata recall... it is irresponsible for a recall with this high level of danger and liability to stay unresolved with no date to resolve the problem. I am appalled that a recall is identified May 2016 and still sits with no resolution. I have not received anything stating GM's coverage of liability should an accident occur with these inflators. This is a huge risk in my opinion to my husband and myself as users of this vehicle. I expect an expedited repair. I don't feel it's fair to the risk of our lives. We are long time GM product purchasers and hoped to purchase GM for the next vehicle. This is the first time we experience any disregard to correcting a potential major problem.

- Pierre Part, LA, USA

Jul 132016

Avalanche

Dashboard cracks around passenger airbag if airbag is deployed broken dash will become dangerous debris.

- Stonewall, LA, USA

Aug 032016

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Jul 272016

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced independent deceleration and stalled while driving 75 mph. The stabilitrak warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the accelerator pedal assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The senior adviser informed the contact that GMC was planning to rescind the recall for the takata air bags. The failure mileage was approximately 65,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jan 012011

Avalanche

Dash has cracked around air bag. Engineering design flaw is likely to result in injury or death when air bag deploys.

- Oxford, AL, USA

Oct 132015

Avalanche

My truck has 2 major cracks on the dash that just appeared within the last 6 months. I have owned the vehicle since July 2013. One is right in front of the drivers seat on the dash and cracks from my display behind my steering wheel all the way to the windshield. The second crack in the dash is in front of the passengers seat and runs into the airbag. All GM model SUV/trucks from 2007-2013 are having the same problem! I do not understand why GM will not recall this issue. If either of my air bags have to deploy, we could get killed by the sharp cracked shards busting out of the dash and stabbing us. I bought this specific vehicle when my first born son was 1 month old because I was driving a little Honda civic and wanted something safer for my child. Now he is 2 1/2 and I also have a second son now that just turned 6 months. I'm disappointed in Chevy for not fixing this problem when its going to cause a death! it would be really unfortunate if my children or one of their parents get killed because of this dash issue. GM will do nothing to fix the problem and wants to charge $1300 to fix it!!

- Madeira Beach, FL, USA

Aug 192015

Avalanche

Cracks in dash cover around air bag and over instrument cluster. No hard road hits, no junk on the dash. Heard a rattle, looked up there and found the cracks. Thousands of incidents across internet. Seat tracks rough sliding and motor failure. Outside mirror motor failure. I am the only driver and dont move seats much. Lack of use kills motors? rear window leaking water due to plastic frame shrinking, cracking and leaving a gap. Only took the window out once before finding it leaking 2 years later due to the plastic frame shrink and crack. Door handles paint falling off in flakes. Fronts replaced by dealer at 17K. 38K rear handles started doing it. Dealers unwilling to do anything after 36K. 78K on truck now, making last $575 payment this month and truck needs thousands in repairs. I would have thought buying a 45K truck and using it as a family traveler it would be the last one I would have to buy since it is well cared for. These trucks are now know for problems and less appealing. Selling it isn't easy because of these continual issues GM failed to address. The truck was discontinued in 2013 most likely due to mfg defects and complaint ratios. All GM trucks have these issues from 07 through 2013.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jan 252013

Avalanche

Cracked, broken dashboard. Cracked in 2 corners of the passenger air bag. Crack goes all the way across to the drivers side. A section around the speaker has completely broke off. Cruise control no longer workers. Some speakers work sometimes, other times other ones work. Makes horrible rattling sound. Dealership says won't cover it and a new dash is over $800 for parts.

- Jackson, LA, USA

Jan 032016

Avalanche

Dashboard cracked and keeps cracking one right by passenger airbag and it started while driving.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 072015

Avalanche

I have the same safety concern many other owners are having. My dashboard is cracked in multiple spots, mainly around the airbag and instrument cluster. I believe this would affect the airbag from deploying properly or send sharp pieces of the dashboard into the cabin if impacted. I have contacted GM several times with zero assistance or concern on their part.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Aug 012015

Avalanche

Dashboard cracked around the airbag area. Concerned of flying debris in case of an incident that involves airbag deployment.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jun 012015

Avalanche

Instrument panel "airbag" warning light (red continuously on) illuminated. After first incident initial engine ignition start bit (built in test) clears airbag fault for no more than 1 minute every start sequence at which time it triggers a "red dash warning icon light." I took vehicle to dealer who claimed necessary fix is owners responsibility and expense. They also declared they had "no knowledge of Chevy Avalanche or Silverado airbag recalls or issues." I called GM customer service help line and lodged a complaint. Case number with GM is 71-148283766. GM stated that they did not feel responsible for the issue. Both the 2007-08 Chevy Silverado's' as well as the 2011 plus Chevy Avalanche are all under dot takata airbag recalls. The 2009 Chevy Avalanche is a growth product of the Chevy 2008 Silverado!!! I believe I am one of the takata airbag customers!!

- Marysville, Wa, WA, USA

Aug 202014

Avalanche

The dashboard cracked in 2 places. One crack is over the instrument cluster on the drivers side and the other is on the passenger side next to the air bag. I was told that the replacement part has been modified to correct this issue, but GM will not pay to replace the dash. Will the dash shatter if the air bags are deployed?

- Manson, IA, USA

Aug 012014

Avalanche 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact stated that the dashboard cracked on the passenger's side, which could expose the air bag. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the dashboard needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 56,605. Updated 12/9/14 updated 06/1/2015

- Saraland, AL, USA

Aug 012013

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

The dash on my 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche has cracked in two places. One over the gauge cluster and one crack over the passenger air bag. This problem has affected more 2007 + Silverado, Tahoe, Avalanche, escalades and more. If the passenger air bag deploys with the broken dash, it will send plastic shards flying through the cabin.GM should recall the defective dash and replace them.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA