2009 Chevrolet Aveo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Aveo:

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 172016

Aveo

Less than 30,000 miles. Persistent problem (since 2012): Engine shuts off by itself. No warning lights on dashboard before each occurrence. Car has been taken to the dealer multiple times. On 08/17/2016 around 11:45 a.M. car shut off by itself while driving on the middle of a multi-lane (6+) highway. I was able to roll down the automatic window (it worked ) on the driver side, I pressed the warning light (it worked). After multiple attempts car started, and I drove away. The car worked well for a while, took side roads(35mph speed limit). Car shut off by itself a second time. I was able to restarted and made it to a safe location. I have reported this last situation to Chevrolet and they told me to go to a different dealer, and only after pressuring they provided a $100 dollar coupon to get the car checked. Chevrolet claims they had no information on my car's record of shutting down by itself, that they dealer only reports the repairs. However, one of the dealer invoices from 2012 reads: "vehicle stalled", " another invoice reads "car died once", etc. And on the notes it includes "unable to replicate clients concerns". just because the dealer cannot replicate the failure, it does not mean the car is safe to drive. The car is not safe. The car shut down on us and we were left in the middle of a multi-lane highway with cars going 65+mph. The sudden complete shut off of the car in the middle of any road is a great danger not only to the occupants of the car but to other drivers as well. Other problems: Clock/time gets restarted each time I start the car (and it is never right). In multiple occasions, during the morning, the car would not start (but radio and windows work), the car would take several minutes to get started.

- Luling, LA, USA

Jul 282016

Aveo

I am writing to you with regards to my Chevy Aveo 2009 lt, with automatic transmission. My wife usually drives this car and last week, suddenly my car wouldn't stop running. She was at her work place and she took off the keys but later realized the car was still running, so she returned back and couldn't shut off the engine.. so I had to leave my work and take the car to a Chevy dealership to find out it was a problem with a faulty ignition switch, but said it was not part of the recent GM ignition switch recall. But my question is: A. why would the switch fail all of a sudden, and what if my wife left the car running all day and if it would've taken off by itself. B. I have been hearing a lot of news about Chevy recall of faulty ignition switches, does this not fall in that category" else, is there anything you could find with the faulty switch as this might be a hindrance if the car doesn't stop at all. Hope you can provide me with a proper guidance or if this fell under the recall itself"

- Sussex, WI, USA

Jul 062016

Aveo

Dash board lights began to flicker while driving on the interstate.dash board indicator lights would come on and then go out without cause while driving.then vehicle would not shift into automatic overdrive while driving on the interstate. Air conditioner then would stop cooling both on interstate and in town. Cruise control ceased to operate while engaged. Condition ruined battery, causing vehicle to not start. Vehicle currently in auto repair shop......updated 07/26/16

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Jan 082016

Aveo

Had to replace suspension tie rods, PO171 struts, tires 3 times and now a vacuum leak. Bought car in 2010. Car hesitates when driving and take off.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Oct 152015

Aveo

My dashboard light suddenly went out, at the same time the right tailgate light and the front right light went off. I checked online and a number of people having the exact same problem. It is a wiring issue

- Pullman, WA, USA

Sep 152014

Aveo

Air bag light remain on and brinks, also the electrical system has went out it effects doors and panel.

- Austell, GA, USA

Oct 052015

Aveo

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that while parked and removing the key out the ignition, the vehicle continued to operate. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure.the VIN was not provided. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Sabula, IA, USA

Sep 012015

Aveo

Since I got my aveo5 ls in 2013. I have been problems since the air bag light on thinking my air bags don't work at all. The clock doesn't keep set. The flex tube needs be replaced every month. My headlights and brake lights need to replace two times a month or more. Then to find out I almost had a fire with my headlight plug is melted crispy black, now my headlight don't work as well. The module behind passenger side back always need to replace especially in winter. I had my car for 3 years and my paint has been coming off due to factory paint problem. Now I can not keep engine light off since I got my car, I think I put more money in buying parts then I paid for the car. GM did a very poor design for this model

- Oneida, NY, USA

Mar 012011

Aveo 4-cyl

S10 appropriate handling- letter to the secretary from constituent re copy of a letter to the U.S. attorney general regarding a complaint against General Motors. The consumer stated in March 2011, the vehicle began to loose power steering and the engine would shut off by itself. The consumer went to the dealer, where they claimed the problem was fixed. However, the problem continued. The problem continued into 2012. In May 2014, due to the existing problem, the consumer was involved in an accident and the vehicle was totaled. Also, the air bag did not deploy, even though the impact was severe enough to warrant air bag deployment. Updated 10/05/15.

- Vadnais Heights, MN, USA

May 062015

Aveo

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to disengage from the ignition without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the ignition key failed to move from the on position into the off position without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the housing cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,087.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 262014

Aveo

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the ignition switch turned to the accessory position. The vehicle was restarted and was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 022013

Aveo

Lets start from the beginning when I first bought the car my air bag light and clock light will go in and out over bumps more the air bag light. Now and still the air bag light on dash is on and passenger air bag light above the clock says off when someone is sitting in the seat. 2nd my tail lights I go threw them like water. 3rd the thing in the passenger side back right next to the tire every winter I have a problem with wires or the whole thing braking. 3rd its says good gas mileage ya right. The gas gauge doesn't work proper ran outta gas a few times. I have replace battery and spark plugs now I having engine problems with engine light on the engine is riding rough my whole car is shaking I can not go to speed even when the gas petal is to the floor. I see a recall and now its closed the recall says degraded connection between ignition coil spark plug boots and spark plugs. Pretty sure that's the cause. My body paint is coming off. It started coming off not even 2 months after I bought it. Sometimes the radio and clock with air passenger light shuts off and will not come back on until I shut the car off and back on. The onstar stop working all together. The defrost doesn't work to well unless high. My overall of this car is a money hog to keep fixing parts.

- Oneida, NY, USA

Jul 132010

Aveo 4-cyl

1st incident: Was on interstate during rush hour in St. Paul, mn w/ 2 toddlers in the back seat. The car suddenly started bucking and then shut off. I was in the 2nd left lane on 4 lane so I had to coast to the right hand shoulder w/ no power steering and no acceleration almost getting hit by multiple vehicles. Took four hours for tow truck.. 3 weeks for the fuel pump to be manufactured and shipped as the car was brand new w/ less than 3000 miles on it and they didn't have spare parts for it. Also, discovered that the onstar wasn't connected even though I was supposed to receive a free year. It wouldn't even come on. They fixed that at the same time as the fuel pump but then when I got it back I noticed my clock wouldn't keep time and the onstar wasn't showing the free year which never got resolved. The dealer said they wasn't sure what was wrong with the clock but the replaced some fuses, etc. To this day it still doesn't work. 2nd incident which is still ongoing: Dash and radio fuses randomly blow, car eats coil packs and spark plugs every 3-4 months. At red lights/extended stops it will start idling roughly and usually will shut off. Car will sometimes not accelerate and other times it will shoot off like a rocket w/ a mild press of gas pedal. Gas mileage is a joke, I'm lucky to get 20/mpg. I have taken this car to 3 Chevy dealer mechanics and 2 independents and no one can tell me what is wrong other than 'electrical' saying I could replace the computer and wiring harness but that is not a guaranteed fix and at almost $2500 not worth it at this point. I will just be so glad to have this thing paid off in a few months (bought it brand new w/ 43 miles on it) so I can sell or trade it in though every dealer I've approached about trading it in tells me they do not accept them B/C of 'known' problems in the auto community. 2 wrecks, airbags never deployed, front & rear.

- Burgaw, NC, USA

Jan 032014

Aveo 4-cyl

I have been having quite a bit of trouble with my Aveo in the last year. The battery will be dead after sitting in the garage for 12 hours with no explanation. The first time it happened in January, we blamed it on the very cold winter we were having and a new battery was purchased. I did not have any issues for a few months but then as of the spring until now, the battery has been dead a dozen more times. I took it into a garage which checked everything to make sure that the car was not draining the battery somehow, but they came up with no solutions but to give me another new battery. But since then, it has still occurred numerous times. For years, my clock has been wrong. I will set it to the correct time, but once the car is shut off and started again, it will be a completely different time each time. I have tried to have someone look at it but no one can seem to explain that either. So I am led to believe that there is some sort of faulty electrical situation that is causing all this stress. The wrong time, I can deal with. My car not starting for no reason is a much greater dilemma. I am 7 months pregnant and have been reading a lot of other people's reviews online stating that things like this and much worse things have been happening to them with their 2009 Chevy Aveos. I would hope that with this many incidences, there would be a recall or some sort of explanation by now, at least. I am very concerned to own this car with a newborn on the way. He is due in January and if I go to leave a location with him in the dead of winter and my car won't start or worse, I will be one very upset mother. Please consider the fact that there may be some very serious issues with this electrical system. Thank you for your time.

- Kittanning, PA, USA

Oct 022014

Aveo 4-cyl

I notice that my left head light when out. I replace the bulb with a high price bulb but headlight was very dim. I then notice that my headlights went out all together and no high beams, but my high beam light indicator on my dashboard is on. Also I my radio display will go in and out sometimes.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Sep 172014

Aveo

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that both headlights and high beams failed to illuminate. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the module or the wires needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Sep 262014

Aveo

Will not shut off, even with key removed.

- Humboldt, IA, USA

Sep 042014

Aveo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated while driving approximately 50 mph, the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 12000. Updated 09/30/14

- Windsor, NY, USA

Jun 302014

Aveo 4-cyl

Had driven my car earlier that day with no problems. Mid-afternoon I got in my car to go run errands and it wouldn't start. When I would turn the key nothing would happen, no lights came on, no attempt for engine to turn over. Nothing. Quick check confirmed battery was charged, fuses good, and power getting to fuses. Had it towed to dealer. Inspection by GM technician found the instrument module had overheated and been damaged, which disabled the ignition and wouldn't allow car to start. Issue sounds similar to the recent recalls on the 2004-2008 Aveo's, where "the problem concerns the daytime running light module in the instrument panel. It could overheat, melt and cause a fire." GM technician noted that he could tell the instrument module was melted cause he could smell the burning when he open up the dash.

- Gresham, OR, USA

Apr 212014

Aveo 4-cyl

Just wanted to let someone know sometimes when I take my key out of the ignition it is very hot to the touch and I have never had any other car do this it does not do it every time but on several occasions this has happened and was wondering if there has been others complain about this I just don't want a fire to start or something happen while I am driving it.

- Spring Lake, NC, USA