2. restart car (1 reports)
1997 Chevrolet Cavalier AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier:

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Mar 212001

Cavalier 4 cyl

The air conditioning has not worked due to a problem with the lines (that the freon runs through) in BOTH '97 Cavaliers I have owned. It's pretty upsetting when you are sitting in traffic in 90 degree weather. It pisses me off pretty consistently. I just wish I had a clue as to why the lines went bad in both those little pieces of junk. I have had the exact same problems with the two '97 Cavaliers and the '95 Cavalier. I wouldn't love it so much if it weren't so freakin awesome on gas mileage.

- , Carrollton, KY, USA

Jun 292008

Cavalier 2.2L

Driving around and it was really hot out. My AC is always really cold, so I decided to get it going. I put it on Max settings on all the knobs. When I turned the knob that controls where the AC goes to (everywhere, just feet, just face...etc.) it made a sound like it was releasing air, a short burst (poof), like how it usually sounds when I shut off the AC. The green light that you press in for AC turned off also at that time. Then I realized my music wasn't playing either (I had a friend with me and we were talking so I hadn't noticed that it never came on). I pressed the power button for the music and nothing. Now this really pissed me off because this happed after I'd been trying to fix my horn (which I still haven't fixed). I immediately pulled over and shut the car off. Like I said, I had been working on the horn, and that day had taken the plastic cover off of the steering column to inspect the wiring, and I had forgotten to reinstall the 3 screws holding in on. So I removed it and had a look. I wiggled some wires while I swore, and finally replaced the cover. I started the car and the AC and music came on like they're supposed to!

- , Plainfield, CT, USA