2004 Chevrolet Cavalier
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: Widespread instrument panel failure is a common and frustrating reality for many 2004-2005 Chevy Cavalier owners. They're often left in the dark when it comes to knowing how fast they're going, what their engine temperature is, or even how much fuel they have left in the tank.
The likely culprit is a series of bad "stepper motors" which control the gauges and are no longer covered under warranty. Think not being able to see your speed is a safety issue and should be recalled for all owners? We'd agree. Trouble is, apparently the NHTSA does not.
Worst 2004 Cavalier Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- interior accessories problems127NHTSA complaints: 81
- windows / windshield problems40NHTSA complaints: 18
- engine problems18NHTSA complaints: 37
- AC / heater problems17NHTSA complaints: 1
- body / paint problems9NHTSA complaints: 11
- fuel system problems9NHTSA complaints: 12
- electrical problems8NHTSA complaints: 97
- lights problems7NHTSA complaints: 5
- clutch problems6NHTSA complaints: 6
- suspension problems6NHTSA complaints: 3
- transmission problems3NHTSA complaints: 12
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 10
- brakes problems2NHTSA complaints: 16
- cooling system problems2
- steering problems2NHTSA complaints: 7
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 12
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 10
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 3
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Chevrolet Cavalier Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Cavalier compares to other years?
Check out our Chevrolet Cavalier overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Cavalier.