7.6

2. see t-sb -0094-11 google it (11 reports)
  3. replace pistons and seals (5 reports)
2008 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota RAV4:

2008 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 012014

RAV4 2.4L

I get regular oil changes from the Toyota dealership where I purchased my vehicle, and between on time scheduled oil changes I started having to add additional oil. At first I thought maybe the dealership was not putting enough oil in my engine during my routine oil changes. However the problem presisted. I would check my dip stick and fill it after noticing it being low on oil. I told John at the dealership and he ran two different oil consumption test at two diffeerent periods due to the problem not going away after the first text, both test were ran however the dealership gave me some diagnosis that was not the actual issue fix. I can look it up at dealership if I need to and get specifics. The problem lingered on and I began noticing it was not a leak under my parked car at home, that is when I started trying to figur out why the amount of oil I was having to add was increasing while there was no evident leak of oil escaping. My car is burning oil! a lot! I have to had about half a quart every two weeks or less. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how much I drive. I am not the only one out their experiencing the frustrating problem that seems to be a money pit because a mechanic is not going to know this is a Toyota manufactures problem and out of their hands. I am outraged, I am in nursing school and do not have out of pocket money for a ridiculous expense that Toyota is not claiming ownership of! I am hoping a recall occurs very soon and am happy to file this complaint over and over again, because for months my wheels have been turning in my head. I have gotten so stressed over a car payment for a non reliable car fuel system!

- , Hermitage, TN, USA

Aug 082016

RAV4 LX 2.4L 4 cyl

Unbelievable. 2008 RAV4 with just over 100,000 miles and its eating up the oil. Doesn't smoke, doesn't drip oil just consumes it. Buyer beware, if you thought Toyota was trustworthy think again.

- , Kona, HI, USA

Jun 202014

RAV4

First noticed the oil light come on after having it serviced, when oil checked it was dry! Just added 4 quartz of oil, until the next time I checked the oil to see how low it was. Then I took into dealer they said would run an oil consumption test, which came back under their guidelines. So again drove for a while again until oil light came on. again needed 4 quartz of oil at that point. I called Toyota again, did another oil consumption test, they said it was still within Toyota's guidelines. I then asked what's normal, they said it's normal to burn a quart of oil every 6 hundred miles and 2 for every 1,000 miles. I talked with other mechanics they said I did not have a leak, but definitely burning somewhere and they can take the engine apart to see why it's burning, At every gas fill up I am adding a court of oil. I feel the car run differently when the oil is low and Toyota refuses to fix this issue despite the warranty enhancement which expires October 2016 as the oil that is being burned is within their guidelines.

- , Agoura HIlls, CA, USA

Feb 092016

RAV4 ES 4

I bring my RAV4 in for the regular oil change. However I experienced an oil light during a holiday trip only a few hundred KM after the oil change and found that there was very little oil. I topped it off. I brought it in for the scheduled oil change and told them about the problem. They said the next oil change they would put a tamper proof system on the oil to test it.

When I brought it back for that oil change appointment the manager of the service department tried to convince me that likely the excessive oil consumption is "normal" and that I should be always topping off my oil regularly. I detected a ring of untruth and insincerity in his comment....as I never ever have had to do that before with any of my other older cars in the past!

I am bound by the "testing" of the oil and need to return inconveniently every 900-1000 km to get it checked....still no resolution to this and waiting to see what they have to say...it can not be normal.

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

May 182016

1. Received a Warranty Enhancement Notification from Toyota

2. Took to dealership (DeLuca Toyota in Ocala, FL)

3. Oil consumption test revealed that car used seven tenths of a quart of oil in 1,200 miles. It would need to use an entire quart to qualify for extended warranty, and therefore, repair to the problem.

4. I feel that having to add a quart every 1500 miles or so due to faulty pistons installed by Toyota is still justification for them to do the repairs. I've had Toyota for 30 years and unfailing perform the routine maintenance. As you can see from the mileage, I hold onto them.

- , Lady Lake, FL, USA

Mar 012016

RAV4 K/LS 3.2L

I received a notice in the mail about the excessive oil consumption on my 2008 Rav 4. I brought the car in, and was told they changed the oil and bring it back in after 1300 miles. When I returned the car it was 30 miles before the 1300 miles.

I asked about what they do to fix the issue, and was given a big long explanation about replacing pistons, and the gaskets and taking a day or two to fix. Also, they said the parts were not coming in for at least 5 weeks!.....But here's the rub, they said that they are adding a quart of oil first, and then checking the oil level. If it shows low at that point, they claim this is excessive!

However, I said to the service guy, you mean I have to add a quart of oil every 1300 miles?? Come on, you have to be kidding right? How does Toyota get away with doing this? If the car is losing a quart of oil after less than 1300 miles, they are saying they won't fix the problem?

I think a class action suit is in order against Toyota for this.....you cannot add a quart of oil, and then check to see if it's low. This is deception by Toyota, and something needs to be done about it!!!!!!

Update from Aug 7, 2016: Went out today to go to the Staten Island, and my car had an oil change only 1300 miles ago. When I was going home, I heard a humming noise in the engine, so I pulled over on the highway and check the oil

After only 1300 miles, my oil level was below the 1st circle, which is extremely low. After only 1300 miles, this is a problem that I will have to deal with now and will continue to have to keep my mind on this problem as long as I keep the car. Unfortunately, if I blow the engine, due to a lack of oil, Toyota will not take any responsibility for this problem. This is not right, and I will be filling out the forms to join the class action lawsuit.

- , Somerset, NJ, USA

Jan 012014

RAV4

Had this problem for years and Toyota finally did a recall, oil consumption test which I took 2x, failed and it took the 6 months to finally fix it. They replaced pistons and rings

- , Dorothy, NJ, USA

Aug 132014

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

The vehicle exhibits the typical excessive oil consumption issue for the four cylinder engine. Requires frequent addition of oil, practically over 1 quart every 1,000km .The issue was acknowledged by Toyota Canada service center after running 2 test programs , to prove the excessive oil use, however no action has been taken on their part and no solution has been offered.

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Nov 302015

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

I took my vehicle to the dealership for an oil consumption test. My vehicle where the oil goes into was sealed.I was told to return 1100-1300 miles later.

I returned to the dealership within the time frame and my vehicle was checked. I was told my vehicle test showed I did not have an oil consumption problem.

Still my vehicle has to have oil added less than 1,000 miles.

- , Reisterstown, MD, USA

May 012015

RAV4 4 cyl

Toyota sent me a letter saying to go in and get an oil consumption test. Letter stated that the warranty has been extended to cover this common problem.

They say they can't do the test because I have oil leaks in oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket. They want me to pay almost $1000 to correct these issues before they can do the test.

I park my car in garage in the same spot every day, no sings of oil leaks on the floor. If gaskets are leaking, it would be minimum. I am consuming one quart of oil every 1000 miles yet not a drop on the floor.

I did not agree to leave the car for the gasket job. They will not do the oil consumption test. Is the dealer using excuses to make money? Don't they have to replace these gaskets when they fix the oil consumption problem, especially the oil pan gasket which is the most expensive one to replace?

- , Odessa, FL, USA

Jan 042016

RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4 cyl

Toyota knows about this problem. There is a recall/rebuild of the motor if yours fails their bullshit test. Engine holds 4.5 quarts with filter. I change all my cars oil/filter every 5000 miles. Did it in January and got 3 spoonfuls of oil when I pulled the drain plug. Take it to Toyota, they top off engine oil, put red tape on drain plug, filter, dipstick. Tell you to bring it back between 1100 & 1300 miles. They test oil level. If you burn 1 quart + they will rebuild motor. Here's the bullshit part. Assuming you burn 4.5 quarts in 5000 miles, you'll burn less than 1 quart in 1100 miles. This way they do not have to rebuild motor. We put in almost 1 quart every 15 days. God help them if they do not fail my car next month.

Update from May 25, 2016: Taking it in next week for the 2nd test, 10,000 miles after they claimed it "passed" the first time. Will update you all.

- , Ridgefield, USA

Jan 012013

RAV4 2.4L 4

I purchased my 2008 Rav4 in 2012 with 63000 miles on it, from a retired college professor who maintained it at the dealership by the book. It used about 1 quart to 3000 miles at the time. I had it changed every 3 to 4000 miles. It slowly began using more and more oil. I started changing my own oil about 1 year ago, using mobile 1 with a premium filter every 5000 miles. Now it uses 1 quart the first 1800 miles after the oil change and then uses

2 1/2 quarts more before hitting 5000 miles. The rav has 126000 miles currently. My 1998 GMC pickup has 206000 miles and uses half a quart between changes. Wow, Toyota! You really blew it. Will be going to the dealer this summer to do the oil consumption test, but past experience does not give me much confidence.

To me, if a car uses more than a quart between changes, it is excessive!!! If I do not get satisfaction, it will be my last Toyota, and believe me when I say, word of mouth matters!!!!!

- , Hudsonville, MI, USA

Aug 052015

RAV4

My mechanic tells me that this is a well known issue by Toyota and that the piston rings are too small causing the engine to consume more oil. I have yet to find out if Toyota was aware of this issue when I bought my Toyota Rav4 from the Ventura dealership in 2008. I will continue to pursue this. I have always loved my Toyota Rav4 and felt very confident in recommending it to others. Not anymore. I don't know how much the repair is going to cost yet, but I've been told it's very expensive to pull apart the engine. Toyota will not assume responsibility because I am outside of the warranty.

Update from Feb 11, 2016: Toyota has agreed to put my car through an oil consumption test and that my car should be covered under warranty. I am lucky my mechanic took the time to call Toyota two times getting a different answer each time.

- , Ojai, USA

Sep 162015

RAV4

Expected more out of a Toyota than to have oil consumption issues at this mileage.

- , Toney, AL, USA

Aug 202012

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

I add a quart of oil every 6 days or 400 miles, whichever earlier!

- , Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Oct 012014

RAV4

I'm posting on behalf of my father-in-law...he has a 2008 Toyota Rav4 which he bought brand new. For more than a year now he has had to add 3-4 quarts of oil to his vehicle in between oil changes. He has the oil changed according to the manufacturer recommendation of 5,000 miles. After receiving the notice from Toyota regarding the excessive oil consumption, he made an appointment at his local dealership to have the oil consumption test performed. Of course, the dealership said that his vehicle passed the test and was not using more oil than what is considered "normal." He waited the required 6 months/6,000 miles and then made an appointment to have the test performed again at my local dealership. We went together and the service employee explained to us, as he was preparing the paperwork, that Toyota states that adding 1 quart of oil every 1,200 miles or so is normal and not considered excessive. The test was performed and, again, they said his vehicle passed and was not using an excessive amount of oil. I contacted Toyota corporate and they said that there was nothing they could do. My father-in-law can have the test performed a third time as long as he waits the required 6 months/6,000 miles. However, he will have to pay to have the test performed a third time.

I own a 2008 Toyota Rav4, as does my father. Of the 3 vehicles, only my father-in-law's vehicle is using an excessive amount of oil. I find it to be ridiculous that Toyota won't admit that this is a problem and address it accordingly. At this rate, they are going to lose 3 customers over this issue, but they sure don't seem to care!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 262013

RAV4 4

My car has been going through oil quickly. My mechanic sent me to Burdick Toyota for oil consumption test. After my 1200 miles I was told my vehicle was fine. Fourteen days later my engine was making funny noise I let it set over night on Saturday morning I opened the hood to check my oil and all the red tape that was used on my dipstick and oil reservoir was still in place and my vehicle was down 3/4 of a quart of oil. I drove to my mechanic who documented miles since"passing" the test to the day when we checked amount of oil. I called the dealership and had to go in one week later to redo the test. Brought it back waited 1300 miles was treated like I did something wrong. The dealership lied to me about performing the first test I have zero trust in what they tell me now. THERE IS A RECALL ON THIS VEHICLE TOYOTA KNOWS THERE'S A PROBLEM I KNOW THERE'S A PROBLEM JUST FIX IT OR BUY IT BACK I AM TIRED OF THE NONSENSE

Update from Jul 28, 2015: scheduled for oil consumption test number three tomorrow. When will it just get fixed? So tired of fooling around with these Dealers who don't even know what they're doing?? All of this is documented,with paper work. They are ripping us off until something happens and I pay myself out of pocket. PLEASE let's expedite this issue so we can go on to the issues with the steering before I end up off the road into a tree or another vehicle. This Toyota is NOT SAFE. I don't feel safe driving on the interstates I don't feel comfortable driving it with kids in the back seat. What's it going to take to get this thing safe?? They should either fix it replace it or pay me so I can look for another vehicle. Thank you for the sounding board

- , Punta Gorda, FL, USA

May 132015

RAV4 Sport 2.4L 4 cyl

Vehicle is using approx. 3 1/2 to 4qts in 5000 mile oil change. Had two consumption oil tests by Toyota dealer and told this was normal. So I guess the only positive result is that I won't have to change oil every 5000 miles anymore as the oil will have already been replaced.

- , Waldorf, MD, USA

Sep 052014

RAV4 Sport

My wifes 2008 Toyota Rav4 have always had oil changed every 3000 miles. The car has never been driven hard. The car was purchased from an older lady who purchased it new. It had only 014937 miles when I purchased it.

It now consumes more than a quart of oil between regular(3K mi) oil change. I received the recall from Toyota about 4-5 months ago. I followed instructions and took Rav4 to Toyota Dealership. They topped off oil, sealed all oil accesses and had us drive it until next oil change. That's when the dealership responded that it is within tolerance and nothing would be done, but we would have to check oil more frequently. The oil light never comes on. but the oil can go quart + low.

Great little car. really upset and agitated with Toyota.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Jan 312011

RAV4 WG 2.4L

Since we have owned the Rav, in 2011, we noticed excessive oil consumption. When we had the oil changed at the dealer, we were assured "some' oil consumption was normal. Never were we told what amount is "some". In between oil changes, it's been necessary to add 2-3 quarts.

When we received the warranty enhancement notification earlier this year, I was optimistic for a solution. I had the dealer perform the oil change, and returned in between the 1100 -1300 miles specified. We were told the oil level was within normal limits. ( My husband checked, and the oil level was full after the dealer inspected the Rav) this isn't the norm. At 2400 miles after the "check", it was down a quart. at 4500 miles since the dealer oil change and first consumption test, I have added another 1.5 quarts of oil.

Under the terms of the notification, we are entitled to 1 more oil consumption test as part of this program. calling Toyota has been fruitless, as they aren't able to answer the question of what is normal. I have been referred back to the dealer, as a technician would have to answer my questions. The Rav now has 100,100 miles on it. I will have the second consumption test performed, and have them check at different mileages, more in line with where I see the issue.

Prior to this, we had been satisfied with our Toyota.Truthfully, this may not be a cheap fix, and my feeling is we're being placated.I hope for an honest resolution after the second test. We're truly burning money.

- , Hartford, WI, USA