7.7

2. see t-sb -0094-11 google it (11 reports)
  3. replace pistons and seals (8 reports)
2008 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota RAV4:

2008 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 072015

RAV4 Limited 2.4L Inline 4

I bought this Toyota "certified" used Rav4 for my 17 year old daughter to drive to college. She has been driving this vehicle for a year now. She has to add a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles. I took it to the Toyota dealer, and put it through the "Oil Consumption Test". The dealer said it didn't meet the excessive oil consumption parameters. I was not allowed to witness the check, and they insisted on adding oil before we left the dealer. Now if the car wasn't consuming oil, why did they add oil before we left? They said I could try it again if I feel the test wasn't accurate. Yes, I will be trying it again, but not at that dealer, and I WILL witness the oil before and after the test is administered.

- , Mt. Juliet, TN, USA

Sep 012016

RAV4 2.4L

It uses about 1/2 liter to 1 liter of oil per 1000km

- , Altona, MB, Canada

Jul 152014

RAV4

A couple years ago I started smelling burning oil and my gas mileage dropped by three miles per gallon. My mechanic said I was using one and one-half quarts of oil between oil changes (every 5,000 miles). All service has always been done on my vehicle per the maintenance manual. The dealer did a test and said it was only using 1/8 to 1/4 quart of oil per 1,200 miles and does not qualify for a fix (Toyota extended the warrantee for damage from oil consumption until January 1, 2017).

I took my Rav 4 in for an oil change at the dealer and when I had the next oil change I asked that the technician measure the oil consumption from the previous oil change but it was not done. At the next oil change I again requested the technician measure the oil consumption from the previous oil change and again it was not done. The dealer did a measure after I drove my car 1,200 and the oil was down 1/3 of a quart. I still smell burning oil and my gas mileage is still down by three miles per gallon. According to the dealer, Toyota won't fix the problem unless the car uses one quart of oil every 1,000 miles. I was told to add five quarts of oil over the 5,000 miles between oil changes so I am supposed to pay for five quarts of oil and lose three miles per gallon of gas.

I have had numerous recalls and lots of mechanical problems that required a loner car and having to wait for parts. The Rav 4 rates high on safety but I rate it low on quality and the local dealer even lower.

- , Juneau, AK, USA

Apr 282016

RAV4 4-C 2.4L

I have been very pleased with my 2008 Rav 4...as a matter of fact I love it!! Since earlier this year I have noticed that my oil was being used at what I thought to be an excessive rate. I have kept the maintenance up on this vehicle & taken a lot of pride in the up keep of it. Within a month and a half of my previous full service I noted that my oil light was on. As I live out of town and was visiting my daughter I had my son in-law check it for me. It was extremely low. We immediately added oil. Since then I have had two additional full service sessions. Each with the same result. My most recent service was today 8/11/2016. I asked the service tech why my dip stick keeps showing no reading when I come in as scheduled he informed me of the issue of EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. Upon further investigation I saw that there is not a recall on this issue. I love my Rav4 and was hoping to keep it for many years to come and am very disappointed at the lack of customer service from Toyota regarding this issue.

- , Salem, WV, USA

Jun 012016

RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4 cyl

It is downright awful that toyota won't cover this as a recall. Their engine is chewing itself up at a rate that would make any self respecting car manufacturer shudder. I remember when toyota was the most reliable auto brand. Not any more. This is the last toyota I will EVER own. I have and will continue to steer everyone I know, away from toyota.

- , Jefferson, WI, USA

Nov 012014

RAV4 Sports 2.4L

The problem started some 2 years back when I noticed that the engine oil was just disappearing. I started to top it up after sometime then it became the routine so I thought there might be some problem with the engine. I took it to the dealer and I still remember the person's face he said you have to replace the engine (at your own cost) for around CAD $8,000 or live by it or replace your car. We do not have any solution to this problem. I took to another dealer close to my work place and they confirmed that "YES" its a genuine problem at Toyota's end and wait for the letter from Toyota for next steps.

I received a letter from Toyota, that I have to contact the dealer and they will run some tests on it to make sure I have oil disappearing problem. After quite number of test the dealer confirmed that my Toyota RAV4 has engine problem and Toyota will fix it for you at "free of charge" just wait for another letter.

This year in Feb. I received a call from the Oakville, ON dealer to book an appointment to fix my problem I was so happy to hear that but just a week before my appointment I received another call from the dealer that we have to cancel the appointment since part are not ready yet.

Since then I am going back and forth with the dealer(s) and Toyota Head Office in Canada and every time I receive the same answer "Parts are not ready yet" my car has 220,000 KM now and image how much oil i have burnt already and paid the cost to buy the oil, since its not cheap to put oil after every 2000 KM. I have no where to go now. Very frustrating situation and on top of that Toyota has no timeline to fix this issue. NEVER A TOYOTA again. I would not recommend to buy another Toyota to anyone. I trusted Toyota so much and result is just a very unsatisfied after service.

- , Surrey, BC, Canada

Aug 012015

RAV4

The Rav4 is burning oil. We have had tested by Toyota dealers. But the car is not burning "enough" oil to qualify for being fixed

- , Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Sep 052016

RAV4 Limited 2.4L V4

When I first received the notice from Toyota I called the dealer inquiring about the process and cost. They LIED! I didn't have it checked and didn't think about it again. Then I noticed the oil light was coming on, didn't think much about it because it near mileage for an oil change. I checked it and it was VERY low, almost empty. After some research I found that I could have my mechanic do an oil change and they could test it AT NO COST to me. I didn't have to drive 45 minutes to wait and not even get a car to go grab a bite to eat. This dealership has several different auto companies and I ran from them with horrible service on my Subbie. So I purchased a Toyota on their reliability and value. Not sure where that is now.

- , Angelica, NY, USA

Nov 022015

RAV4

I had the oil consumption test and failed. However, this was after many months of running low on oil and replacing it myself (or at my mechanics shop). I found out about the test by surfing the internet and by chance, and was never notified. Now after having the repairs completed, I have bearings on the balance shaft that have disintegrated and it will cost 6000+ to drop the lower block to remedy the situation. I am working at having this covered as a defect due to the issue with the lack of oil that Toyota was aware of but never notified the public. I am fairly certain this failure was brought on by the lack of oil at times in the engire.

- , Waynesboro, PA, USA

Nov 012014

RAV4 2.4L

I get regular oil changes from the Toyota dealership where I purchased my vehicle, and between on time scheduled oil changes I started having to add additional oil. At first I thought maybe the dealership was not putting enough oil in my engine during my routine oil changes. However the problem presisted. I would check my dip stick and fill it after noticing it being low on oil. I told John at the dealership and he ran two different oil consumption test at two diffeerent periods due to the problem not going away after the first text, both test were ran however the dealership gave me some diagnosis that was not the actual issue fix. I can look it up at dealership if I need to and get specifics. The problem lingered on and I began noticing it was not a leak under my parked car at home, that is when I started trying to figur out why the amount of oil I was having to add was increasing while there was no evident leak of oil escaping. My car is burning oil! a lot! I have to had about half a quart every two weeks or less. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how much I drive. I am not the only one out their experiencing the frustrating problem that seems to be a money pit because a mechanic is not going to know this is a Toyota manufactures problem and out of their hands. I am outraged, I am in nursing school and do not have out of pocket money for a ridiculous expense that Toyota is not claiming ownership of! I am hoping a recall occurs very soon and am happy to file this complaint over and over again, because for months my wheels have been turning in my head. I have gotten so stressed over a car payment for a non reliable car fuel system!

- , Hermitage, TN, USA

Aug 082016

RAV4 LX 2.4L 4 cyl

Unbelievable. 2008 RAV4 with just over 100,000 miles and its eating up the oil. Doesn't smoke, doesn't drip oil just consumes it. Buyer beware, if you thought Toyota was trustworthy think again.

- , Kona, HI, USA

Jun 202014

RAV4

First noticed the oil light come on after having it serviced, when oil checked it was dry! Just added 4 quartz of oil, until the next time I checked the oil to see how low it was. Then I took into dealer they said would run an oil consumption test, which came back under their guidelines. So again drove for a while again until oil light came on. again needed 4 quartz of oil at that point. I called Toyota again, did another oil consumption test, they said it was still within Toyota's guidelines. I then asked what's normal, they said it's normal to burn a quart of oil every 6 hundred miles and 2 for every 1,000 miles. I talked with other mechanics they said I did not have a leak, but definitely burning somewhere and they can take the engine apart to see why it's burning, At every gas fill up I am adding a court of oil. I feel the car run differently when the oil is low and Toyota refuses to fix this issue despite the warranty enhancement which expires October 2016 as the oil that is being burned is within their guidelines.

- , Agoura HIlls, CA, USA

Feb 092016

RAV4 ES 4

I bring my RAV4 in for the regular oil change. However I experienced an oil light during a holiday trip only a few hundred KM after the oil change and found that there was very little oil. I topped it off. I brought it in for the scheduled oil change and told them about the problem. They said the next oil change they would put a tamper proof system on the oil to test it.

When I brought it back for that oil change appointment the manager of the service department tried to convince me that likely the excessive oil consumption is "normal" and that I should be always topping off my oil regularly. I detected a ring of untruth and insincerity in his comment....as I never ever have had to do that before with any of my other older cars in the past!

I am bound by the "testing" of the oil and need to return inconveniently every 900-1000 km to get it checked....still no resolution to this and waiting to see what they have to say...it can not be normal.

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

May 182016

1. Received a Warranty Enhancement Notification from Toyota

2. Took to dealership (DeLuca Toyota in Ocala, FL)

3. Oil consumption test revealed that car used seven tenths of a quart of oil in 1,200 miles. It would need to use an entire quart to qualify for extended warranty, and therefore, repair to the problem.

4. I feel that having to add a quart every 1500 miles or so due to faulty pistons installed by Toyota is still justification for them to do the repairs. I've had Toyota for 30 years and unfailing perform the routine maintenance. As you can see from the mileage, I hold onto them.

- , Lady Lake, FL, USA

Mar 012016

RAV4 K/LS 3.2L

I received a notice in the mail about the excessive oil consumption on my 2008 Rav 4. I brought the car in, and was told they changed the oil and bring it back in after 1300 miles. When I returned the car it was 30 miles before the 1300 miles.

I asked about what they do to fix the issue, and was given a big long explanation about replacing pistons, and the gaskets and taking a day or two to fix. Also, they said the parts were not coming in for at least 5 weeks!.....But here's the rub, they said that they are adding a quart of oil first, and then checking the oil level. If it shows low at that point, they claim this is excessive!

However, I said to the service guy, you mean I have to add a quart of oil every 1300 miles?? Come on, you have to be kidding right? How does Toyota get away with doing this? If the car is losing a quart of oil after less than 1300 miles, they are saying they won't fix the problem?

I think a class action suit is in order against Toyota for this.....you cannot add a quart of oil, and then check to see if it's low. This is deception by Toyota, and something needs to be done about it!!!!!!

Update from Aug 7, 2016: Went out today to go to the Staten Island, and my car had an oil change only 1300 miles ago. When I was going home, I heard a humming noise in the engine, so I pulled over on the highway and check the oil

After only 1300 miles, my oil level was below the 1st circle, which is extremely low. After only 1300 miles, this is a problem that I will have to deal with now and will continue to have to keep my mind on this problem as long as I keep the car. Unfortunately, if I blow the engine, due to a lack of oil, Toyota will not take any responsibility for this problem. This is not right, and I will be filling out the forms to join the class action lawsuit.

- , Somerset, NJ, USA

Jan 012014

RAV4

Had this problem for years and Toyota finally did a recall, oil consumption test which I took 2x, failed and it took the 6 months to finally fix it. They replaced pistons and rings

- , Dorothy, NJ, USA

Aug 132014

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

The vehicle exhibits the typical excessive oil consumption issue for the four cylinder engine. Requires frequent addition of oil, practically over 1 quart every 1,000km .The issue was acknowledged by Toyota Canada service center after running 2 test programs , to prove the excessive oil use, however no action has been taken on their part and no solution has been offered.

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Nov 302015

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

I took my vehicle to the dealership for an oil consumption test. My vehicle where the oil goes into was sealed.I was told to return 1100-1300 miles later.

I returned to the dealership within the time frame and my vehicle was checked. I was told my vehicle test showed I did not have an oil consumption problem.

Still my vehicle has to have oil added less than 1,000 miles.

- , Reisterstown, MD, USA

May 012015

RAV4 4 cyl

Toyota sent me a letter saying to go in and get an oil consumption test. Letter stated that the warranty has been extended to cover this common problem.

They say they can't do the test because I have oil leaks in oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket. They want me to pay almost $1000 to correct these issues before they can do the test.

I park my car in garage in the same spot every day, no sings of oil leaks on the floor. If gaskets are leaking, it would be minimum. I am consuming one quart of oil every 1000 miles yet not a drop on the floor.

I did not agree to leave the car for the gasket job. They will not do the oil consumption test. Is the dealer using excuses to make money? Don't they have to replace these gaskets when they fix the oil consumption problem, especially the oil pan gasket which is the most expensive one to replace?

- , Odessa, FL, USA

Jan 042016

RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4 cyl

Toyota knows about this problem. There is a recall/rebuild of the motor if yours fails their bullshit test. Engine holds 4.5 quarts with filter. I change all my cars oil/filter every 5000 miles. Did it in January and got 3 spoonfuls of oil when I pulled the drain plug. Take it to Toyota, they top off engine oil, put red tape on drain plug, filter, dipstick. Tell you to bring it back between 1100 & 1300 miles. They test oil level. If you burn 1 quart + they will rebuild motor. Here's the bullshit part. Assuming you burn 4.5 quarts in 5000 miles, you'll burn less than 1 quart in 1100 miles. This way they do not have to rebuild motor. We put in almost 1 quart every 15 days. God help them if they do not fail my car next month.

Update from May 25, 2016: Taking it in next week for the 2nd test, 10,000 miles after they claimed it "passed" the first time. Will update you all.

- , Ridgefield, USA