7.8

2. replace pistons and seals (13 reports)
  3. see t-sb -0094-11 google it (12 reports)
2008 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota RAV4:

2008 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 012016

RAV4 4 cyl

Took to dealer at 149,000 would not fix. oil usage

- , Pueblo, CO, US

Mar 212017

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

"Check the gas and fill it up with oil." This is ridiculous... On top of excess expense for oil ($25/ 5 quarts) every month, I now have to rent a car ($150) to go any long distance.

Consuming at least a quart every 1,000 miles. My oil light flickered and I've had to add three+ quarts in under 3,000 miles.

I've owned multiple Toyotas in my years of driving: Corona, Corolla, Celica, Matrix, and now RAV4 since 2008.

Next time I go to the dealer, I'll ask how much it is to replace rings, etc., to fix the "manufacturer's defect." Unless they use this information to blackball this vehicle.

Unless Toyota acknowledges or class action is created, I guess the only solution is to trade it in on a different car brand and avoid Toyota's blind eye now and in the future.

- , Temecula, US

Jan 012014

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

Our 2008 RAV-4 has some engine problem. It not only burns Oil - i have to check it daily if on a long trip, often adding 1/3 quart per day. Or, if just putting around town, i need to check it every week, to make sure it is not low. It has been making a rattling sound for a number of years now, but most recently it has become extremely noisy. It sounds like it has a valve problem. I think this issue is not very good for Toyota's reputation.

- , White Rock, BC, Canada

Sep 142012

RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4-cyl

I purchased this RAV4 new in 2007. I've always had it serviced at the Toyota dealer whenever it was due. At about 50,000 miles the engine started using oil at the rate of a quart of oil every 800 miles or so. I mentioned this to the Toyota service personnel several times and was always told that it was normal oil consumption for this engine. I recently discovered that this is a widespread problem, and apparently Toyota does not seem to want to take responsibility for the engine defect. Obviously, the service techs are instructed to tell the customer that this oil consumption is normal. Toyota should do the right thing and make good on this problem.

- , Yardley, US

Aug 302014

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

Noticed the oil light on, before my 5000km mark was up. Shortly after, Toyota released a recall identifying higher than normal oil consumption on 2008 Rav4. Took the "Oil Consumption Test" numerous times, finally resulting in an affirmative high oil consumption. Was told that I will be contacted by Toyota to remedy the issue... they have never called or contacted meā€”that was a year ago. I called last January, and they told me that they have not determined the proper fix for this problem. Meanwhile, my vehicle eats over 2L of oil every 2000km. I will never by another Toyota again. Recall after recall. This thing is a piece of junk.

- , Sudbury, ON, Canada

Jul 062015

RAV4 4 cyl

Toyota diagnosed the problem previous to July of 2015.They said in writing that the necessary parts were on

order. Not being satisfied with broken promises and outright lies I contacted the corporate offices and got more helpings of the same old, same old. The internet provided names of attorneys pursuing class action suits that were no longer participating or just did not respond. I would like to join a class action suit. the dealerships involved were/are Ashland Toyota in Ashland WI and Cumberland Toyota in Cookville TN. We moved to TN in October of

2015 which is why the dealership change. The situation has deteriorated to the point where I must add oil every 500

miles.

I can't, in good conscience, sell the vehicle and am at a loss as to how to proceed. I have written info from the original dealer attesting to the diagnosis.

- , Jamestown, US

Sep 052016

RAV4 3.2L

Toyota needs to address this excessive oil consumption problem. Unfortunately, my vehicle was out of the warranty period when this problem started. If they do not fix this problem, I WILL NEVER buy another Toyota. We need a class action suit here!

- , New Richmond, OH, US

Feb 032017

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

2008 RAV 4 106,000 miles and have excessive oil consumption. I would not trust this vehicle on a long trip of 500 miles.

- , St. Charles, MO, USA

Sep 012014

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

Oil consumption now at 1 qt. plus per 1000 miles. Toyota dealer tested and said it only used one qt. in 1180 miles so it passed. Hell the vehicle now has 119000 miles and it uses about one qt.every 800 miles.

- , Front Royal, VA, USA

Jan 022015

RAV4 4

I WAS ALWAYS TOLD THAT TOYOTA IS THE BEST, BUT HONESTLY I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY SEE THAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT IT. I DON'T HAVE THE KIND OF MONEY TO JUST THROW AWAY TO BUYING OIL AND BECAUSE THERE APPARENTLY ISN'T A RECALL TOYOTA ISN'T RESPONSIBLE. I HAVE READ ONLINE THAT IS HAS TO DO WITH THE PISTONS AND IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM. WISH I STILL HAD MY CHEVY EQUINOX. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A TOYOTA.

- , Stafford Springs, CT, US

Jan 162016

RAV4

I was not aware of the fact that my model Rav 4 had an oil consumption problem until after the extended warranty had expired. However I realized that the problem started before the warranty period expired. The dealership has been very cooperative but I am not getting much cooperation from Toyota so far. Any suggestions would be welcome!

- , Young Harris, GA, USA

Jun 052013

RAV4 2az

I PURCHASED THIS TOYOTA FOR LONGEVITY AND NOW FIND THAT IT BURNS EXCESSIVE OIL...WHICH IS A PROBLEM THE MANUFACTURER KNOWS ABOUT BUT DID NOT RECALL IT. HOW CAN THESE PEOPLE CONTINUE TO DO BUSINESSLIKE THIS? I WANT TO GET RID OF THE CAR BUT WHO WILL BUY IT KNOWING IT HAS THIS PROBLEM!

- , Kailua, HI, USA

Sep 122016

RAV4 Limited

I have a Toyota rav4 limited and that all its doing is burning oil. bring it to dealer and they do oil consumption test and tell me its ok, just had it checked and had to put 3 quarts of oil in it just had it done 2 months ago, whats going on with Toyota , I thought it was suppoe to be a good vehicle

- , Buffalo, NY, USA

Jan 012008

RAV4 2.4L

2008 Rav 4 has known oil consumption problems the manufacture is aware of and chooses not to remedy.

- , Leicester, MA, USA

Aug 072015

RAV4 Limited 2.4L Inline 4

I bought this Toyota "certified" used Rav4 for my 17 year old daughter to drive to college. She has been driving this vehicle for a year now. She has to add a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles. I took it to the Toyota dealer, and put it through the "Oil Consumption Test". The dealer said it didn't meet the excessive oil consumption parameters. I was not allowed to witness the check, and they insisted on adding oil before we left the dealer. Now if the car wasn't consuming oil, why did they add oil before we left? They said I could try it again if I feel the test wasn't accurate. Yes, I will be trying it again, but not at that dealer, and I WILL witness the oil before and after the test is administered.

- , Mt. Juliet, TN, USA

Sep 012016

RAV4 2.4L

It uses about 1/2 liter to 1 liter of oil per 1000km

- , Altona, MB, Canada

Jul 152014

RAV4

A couple years ago I started smelling burning oil and my gas mileage dropped by three miles per gallon. My mechanic said I was using one and one-half quarts of oil between oil changes (every 5,000 miles). All service has always been done on my vehicle per the maintenance manual. The dealer did a test and said it was only using 1/8 to 1/4 quart of oil per 1,200 miles and does not qualify for a fix (Toyota extended the warrantee for damage from oil consumption until January 1, 2017).

I took my Rav 4 in for an oil change at the dealer and when I had the next oil change I asked that the technician measure the oil consumption from the previous oil change but it was not done. At the next oil change I again requested the technician measure the oil consumption from the previous oil change and again it was not done. The dealer did a measure after I drove my car 1,200 and the oil was down 1/3 of a quart. I still smell burning oil and my gas mileage is still down by three miles per gallon. According to the dealer, Toyota won't fix the problem unless the car uses one quart of oil every 1,000 miles. I was told to add five quarts of oil over the 5,000 miles between oil changes so I am supposed to pay for five quarts of oil and lose three miles per gallon of gas.

I have had numerous recalls and lots of mechanical problems that required a loner car and having to wait for parts. The Rav 4 rates high on safety but I rate it low on quality and the local dealer even lower.

- , Juneau, AK, USA

Apr 282016

RAV4 4-C 2.4L

I have been very pleased with my 2008 Rav 4...as a matter of fact I love it!! Since earlier this year I have noticed that my oil was being used at what I thought to be an excessive rate. I have kept the maintenance up on this vehicle & taken a lot of pride in the up keep of it. Within a month and a half of my previous full service I noted that my oil light was on. As I live out of town and was visiting my daughter I had my son in-law check it for me. It was extremely low. We immediately added oil. Since then I have had two additional full service sessions. Each with the same result. My most recent service was today 8/11/2016. I asked the service tech why my dip stick keeps showing no reading when I come in as scheduled he informed me of the issue of EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. Upon further investigation I saw that there is not a recall on this issue. I love my Rav4 and was hoping to keep it for many years to come and am very disappointed at the lack of customer service from Toyota regarding this issue.

- , Salem, WV, USA

Jun 012016

RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4 cyl

It is downright awful that toyota won't cover this as a recall. Their engine is chewing itself up at a rate that would make any self respecting car manufacturer shudder. I remember when toyota was the most reliable auto brand. Not any more. This is the last toyota I will EVER own. I have and will continue to steer everyone I know, away from toyota.

- , Jefferson, WI, USA

Nov 012014

RAV4 Sports 2.4L

The problem started some 2 years back when I noticed that the engine oil was just disappearing. I started to top it up after sometime then it became the routine so I thought there might be some problem with the engine. I took it to the dealer and I still remember the person's face he said you have to replace the engine (at your own cost) for around CAD $8,000 or live by it or replace your car. We do not have any solution to this problem. I took to another dealer close to my work place and they confirmed that "YES" its a genuine problem at Toyota's end and wait for the letter from Toyota for next steps.

I received a letter from Toyota, that I have to contact the dealer and they will run some tests on it to make sure I have oil disappearing problem. After quite number of test the dealer confirmed that my Toyota RAV4 has engine problem and Toyota will fix it for you at "free of charge" just wait for another letter.

This year in Feb. I received a call from the Oakville, ON dealer to book an appointment to fix my problem I was so happy to hear that but just a week before my appointment I received another call from the dealer that we have to cancel the appointment since part are not ready yet.

Since then I am going back and forth with the dealer(s) and Toyota Head Office in Canada and every time I receive the same answer "Parts are not ready yet" my car has 220,000 KM now and image how much oil i have burnt already and paid the cost to buy the oil, since its not cheap to put oil after every 2000 KM. I have no where to go now. Very frustrating situation and on top of that Toyota has no timeline to fix this issue. NEVER A TOYOTA again. I would not recommend to buy another Toyota to anyone. I trusted Toyota so much and result is just a very unsatisfied after service.

- , Surrey, BC, Canada