7.5

2. see t-sb -0094-11 google it (11 reports)
  3. replace pistons and seals (1 reports)
2008 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota RAV4:

2008 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 262013

RAV4 4

My car has been going through oil quickly. My mechanic sent me to Burdick Toyota for oil consumption test. After my 1200 miles I was told my vehicle was fine. Fourteen days later my engine was making funny noise I let it set over night on Saturday morning I opened the hood to check my oil and all the red tape that was used on my dipstick and oil reservoir was still in place and my vehicle was down 3/4 of a quart of oil. I drove to my mechanic who documented miles since"passing" the test to the day when we checked amount of oil. I called the dealership and had to go in one week later to redo the test. Brought it back waited 1300 miles was treated like I did something wrong. The dealership lied to me about performing the first test I have zero trust in what they tell me now. THERE IS A RECALL ON THIS VEHICLE TOYOTA KNOWS THERE'S A PROBLEM I KNOW THERE'S A PROBLEM JUST FIX IT OR BUY IT BACK I AM TIRED OF THE NONSENSE

Update from Jul 28, 2015: scheduled for oil consumption test number three tomorrow. When will it just get fixed? So tired of fooling around with these Dealers who don't even know what they're doing?? All of this is documented,with paper work. They are ripping us off until something happens and I pay myself out of pocket. PLEASE let's expedite this issue so we can go on to the issues with the steering before I end up off the road into a tree or another vehicle. This Toyota is NOT SAFE. I don't feel safe driving on the interstates I don't feel comfortable driving it with kids in the back seat. What's it going to take to get this thing safe?? They should either fix it replace it or pay me so I can look for another vehicle. Thank you for the sounding board

- , Punta Gorda, FL, USA

May 132015

RAV4 Sport 2.4L 4 cyl

Vehicle is using approx. 3 1/2 to 4qts in 5000 mile oil change. Had two consumption oil tests by Toyota dealer and told this was normal. So I guess the only positive result is that I won't have to change oil every 5000 miles anymore as the oil will have already been replaced.

- , Waldorf, MD, USA

Sep 052014

RAV4 Sport

My wifes 2008 Toyota Rav4 have always had oil changed every 3000 miles. The car has never been driven hard. The car was purchased from an older lady who purchased it new. It had only 014937 miles when I purchased it.

It now consumes more than a quart of oil between regular(3K mi) oil change. I received the recall from Toyota about 4-5 months ago. I followed instructions and took Rav4 to Toyota Dealership. They topped off oil, sealed all oil accesses and had us drive it until next oil change. That's when the dealership responded that it is within tolerance and nothing would be done, but we would have to check oil more frequently. The oil light never comes on. but the oil can go quart + low.

Great little car. really upset and agitated with Toyota.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Jan 312011

RAV4 WG 2.4L

Since we have owned the Rav, in 2011, we noticed excessive oil consumption. When we had the oil changed at the dealer, we were assured "some' oil consumption was normal. Never were we told what amount is "some". In between oil changes, it's been necessary to add 2-3 quarts.

When we received the warranty enhancement notification earlier this year, I was optimistic for a solution. I had the dealer perform the oil change, and returned in between the 1100 -1300 miles specified. We were told the oil level was within normal limits. ( My husband checked, and the oil level was full after the dealer inspected the Rav) this isn't the norm. At 2400 miles after the "check", it was down a quart. at 4500 miles since the dealer oil change and first consumption test, I have added another 1.5 quarts of oil.

Under the terms of the notification, we are entitled to 1 more oil consumption test as part of this program. calling Toyota has been fruitless, as they aren't able to answer the question of what is normal. I have been referred back to the dealer, as a technician would have to answer my questions. The Rav now has 100,100 miles on it. I will have the second consumption test performed, and have them check at different mileages, more in line with where I see the issue.

Prior to this, we had been satisfied with our Toyota.Truthfully, this may not be a cheap fix, and my feeling is we're being placated.I hope for an honest resolution after the second test. We're truly burning money.

- , Hartford, WI, USA

Apr 152014

RAV4 Sport

I love my RAV4 but it has been using oil for over 1year. there has been a recall but when I call the dealer they say I am on a waiting list. I called three weeks ago and they said the parts came but they ran out. I have to put in a quart of oil every two weeks.

- , Theodore, AL, USA

Jun 012012

RAV4

I encountered excessive oil consumption (low oil indicator lit up on the dash board about 3 year ago). Went to Toyota service department and was told it is a minor problem (and to take a hike.) Called several times again but was given the same response. In April 2015 I received a letter from Toyota stating that a "warranty enhancement Program has been instituted to address the excessive oil consumption problem".

I was instructed to take the car into a service dealer to confirm the problem. Toyota sealed the dip stick and the cover of the engine block (I guess to prevent tampering of the test). I was instructed to bring the car back after being driven 1100 to 1300 miles.

I returned the car after it was driven for 1100 to 1300 miles. I was told that the test was invalid since there may be other sources of leaks. They offer to investigate for a price of $250. I declined. I took my car to another service station. The service people reported they could not find any significant leaks and my oil tank was 1 and half quart low.

I am rescheduled to retest the excessive oil consumption test by Toyota at a later date.

I am asking the Rava4 owners of their experiences with the warranty enhancement program. Because of my past experience, my current feeling is Toyota is giving me the run-around again.

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Jul 152014

RAV4

Suddenly my Rav 4 started consuming oil like crazy and started pinging when going up hills. Since then, I've had the oil changed twice (Since July 2014 which is 9 months) and have had to add almost 4 quarts of oil while driving probably 5,000 miles. I am now doing the "oil consumption test" and the dealership said Toyota considers using about 1 quart per 1,000 driving miles as NORMAL. REALLY? I've never had to add oil in between oil changes to any other vehicle I've ever owned.

So, we'll see how this oil consumption test works.

I'm not sure if this is related or not....I had the fuel pump go out and it cost $800 to repair.

- , Lacey, USA

May 182013

RAV4 2.4L 4-cyl Dohc (Mfi)

138.7K miles, 3/4 qt/1200 mile usage, we just 'passed' the Toyota oil consumption test.

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Feb 052009

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

We bought our 2008 Rav 4 in November of 2008. I change the oil/filter religiously every 3,000 miles.

In February 2009 I changed the oil and noticed that I only got two quarts back out of the car. Called Toyota and they said it's normal. I know cars and that's bullshit! I have a 67 Camaro that doesn't burn that much oil. I took it in twice to Toyota for oil consumption tests, each time to hear it's OK, there's nothing wrong. Fast forward to present day, the car now is burning two full quarts in under 1,000 miles! So now finally Toyota is fessing up and doing a recall.

It's a crime that a car company can fix a known defect in their products by simply printing in the owners manual that it's normal! I think they knew it all along before these cars hit the street. So pissed. This should be considered a lemon. I want a new car! I will probably never buy a Toyota again. I got a few places Toyota can go!

- , Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Nov 102013

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

REALLY sad. I bought this vehicle for my wife. It started out fine, but now these issues. MY son owns a 1997 Honda Odyssey over 250,000 miles hardly uses any oil, still running strong. We expected more from Toyota.

- , Erie, PA, USA

Apr 112011

RAV4

RECEIVED A WARRANTY ENHANCEMENT NOTIFICATION (EXTENDED WARRANTY) FOR THE EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. FREE FIX. WHAT A JOKE. THEY TELL YOU TO COME IN FOR THE TEST, FILL YOUR OIL TO FULL AND TELL YOU TO COME BACK IN 1200 MILES. TWELVE HUNDRED MILES LATER YOU GO BACK YOUR CAR IS AT LOW/ADD LEVEL, THEY ADD 1 QT OIL AND STATE AND I QUOTE "FOUND THAT VEHICLE BURNED 1QT OF OIL IN 1,241 MILES. THAT IS OK TO TOYOTA STANDARDS".

THAT LAST LINE TELLS IT ALL. IF YOU DO THE MATH, AT 5000 MILES, WHICH THEY TELL YOU TO COME IN FOR AN OIL CHANGE, THERE WOULD BE NO OIL LEFT TO CHANGE WITH A 4.8QT ENGINE OIL LIMIT. I COULDN'T BELIEVE TOYOTA HAS SUCH LOW STANDARDS. WE HAVE ALL TOYOTAS IN MY HOUSEHOLD. WITH THE WE DON'T CARE ATTITUDE BY TOYOTA, WE WILL BECOME A HONDA HOUSEHOLD. I EXPECTED BETTER, TOYOTA STANDARDS HAVE REALLY DETERIORATED. DON'T BUY TOYOTA.COM IS AVAILABLE. JUST MAY BUY IT TO WARN POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS.

- , Camarillo, CA, USA

Dec 242012

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

Toyota is trying everything they can to screw up with consumers. They want you to test the oil consumption even if you already tested three times before. They are not answering your phones. Audi already lost their case. Toyota will be the same. This is the first Toyota and also be the last one.

- , sewickley, PA, USA

Oct 022014

Need fixed now!

- , french creek, Wv, USA

Nov 012013

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

At 80,000 miles 2.4 motor started burning 1.5 quarts per 5000 miles using mobile 1 10-30 full synthetic. At 95000 started changing oil at 3500 miles and we have excessive engine sludge. Will be getting rid of soon.

- , Hunstville, AL, USA

Oct 102012

RAV4 2.4L 4 cyl

I will not purchase a Toyota car ever again, they lost my respect for a nice build car. They should own their failures. Just like they take our money when we purchase the car. They should respect their customers by recognizing their mistakes.

- , Arvin, CA, USA

Jul 012012

RAV4 2.4L

Our Toyota RAV4 is the 2008 model with the 2.4 ltr, automatic trans. It started using 1 quart of oil in between DEALERSHIP ONLY oil changes around 2012. Four years after we bought the RAV new. The dealer is the only one who has ever touched this car. They still are the only ones we let touch it as I'm afraid now that if I let any other place work on it, Toyota will try to say, well, the reason your car is now using a quart of oil every 600 miles is because some other shop touched it. So, I'm stuck with the stealership and I want any refund for ALL THE DANG OIL I have to buy ALL THE FREAKIN time to prevent this 2.4 ltr from running bone dry and seizing up.

We have it changed every 5k miles as the dealership instructs to. This car has no oil leaks. None on or around the engine, none on the driveway. Where is all this oil going? Does anybody know? And now I'm scared it's being consumed by the engines head gaskets being defective as another post has described that's where their oil is going, they were told. The RAV doesn't smoke. Doesn't leak. It's strange, AND worrisome. It's very expensive to put a quart in every week or two. Oh yea, the oil light doesn't come on mine either.

- , Lexington, SC, USA

Sep 152014

RAV4

THIS IS MY THIRD TOYOTA (2 COROLLAS PRIOR TO THE RAV4). BOTH MADE 165K WITHOUT ANY MAJOR ISSUES. I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE 1 MORE YEAR TO PAY ON THE VEHICLE AND IT IS BURNING 1 QUART OF OIL EVERY 2 WEEKS!

- , White Haven, PA, USA

Apr 232014

RAV4 V6

Hi, ever since I bought the car I hear a little rattling. I thought it was just me. I bought the car with 50,000 miles, I had an oil change at 53,000 miles thinking that was the problem. It went away for a little while, now the rattling is back. And now I think it has problems with the suspension cause I caught a flat and replaced it with a new tire and now every time I hit even a little bump I feel like the car is gonna fall apart. I'm spending to much money in payments for this car and money don't fall off trees. I need help.

- , New Haven, CT - Connecticut, USA

Aug 082013

RAV4 Limited 3.2L

My Rav 4 began to burn oil when it only had 70,000 miles on it. I am going on my 2nd oil consumption test from Toyota. I have been loosing less than 1/2 a quart at 1,000 miles. Toyota told me that this want enough oil consumption to take action. I have had my oil light come on and did not read any oil on the dipstick at 4,000 mile oil change. My rav 4 is running rough now and feel an expensive vehicle like this should not be burning oil at 70,00 miles. Toyota is not what it use to be. I have had so many problems with my rav 4 and thank goodness I had an extended warranty. My extended warranty is going to run out soon and I'm afraid that my motor is going to go.

- , Cumberland, RI, USA

Nov 112013

RAV4 Sport 2.4L 4 cyl

I have an appointment with Toyota to do an oil consumption test. It started around 68,000 -70,000. I am currently at 81,000 consumption is down to below a quart every 1200-1500 miles. Right off the bat the service guy told me my warranty expired and this is not covered but he knows the problem and right or wrong it is not covered. Told him well there are a lot of people reporting the issue he told me I would have to take it up with Toyota management. Will update after my appointment.

- , Phoenixville, PA, USA