- July 4: Toyota Fuel-Cell Car Faces Government Hurdles
- June 11: Over 1 Million Cars Might Have Explosive Takata Air Bag Inflators
- June 10: Toyota Cars Still Have Explosive Air Bags
- May 22: Toyota Recalls 510,000 Minivans and Sedans
- May 1: Two Midsize SUVs Do Well in Small Overlap Crash Test
2003 Toyota RAV4
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
Worst 2003 RAV4 Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems78NHTSA complaints: 109
- engine problems10NHTSA complaints: 60
- interior accessories problems3
- drivetrain problems2NHTSA complaints: 52
- electrical problems2NHTSA complaints: 32
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 13
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 8
- body / paint problemsNHTSA: 4
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 3
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 3
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 3
- windows / windshield problemsNHTSA: 3
- steering problemsNHTSA: 3
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 1
- suspension problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota RAV4 Model Years
Curious how the 2003 RAV4 compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota RAV4 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the RAV4.