- September 15: Toyota Recalls Prius to Fix Spasmatic Airbags recalls | 14 days ago
- September 13: Toyota Sticky Dashboard Lawsuit Says Warranty Program is Useless news | 16 days ago
- September 4: Lexus Owner Sues Toyota For Not Fixing Takata Airbag news | 25 days ago
- August 18: Road Debris Causes 50,000 Crashes and 125 Deaths Annually news | 42 days ago
- August 14: Toyota Recalls RAV4 and Lexus HS 250h For 3rd Time recalls | 46 days ago
2003 Toyota RAV4
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
Worst 2003 RAV4 transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- delays in shifting, lurches foward, engine races53
- transmission and ecm failed18
- transmission jerks18
- problem with ecm15
- transmission failure3
- loss of power1
- transmission slipping1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission106
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota RAV4 Model Years
Curious how the 2003 RAV4 compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota RAV4 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the RAV4.