- February 10: Scion FR-S Recalled to Fix Rollaway Threat recalls | 1 days ago
- February 2: Toyota Recalls Older Vehicles With Airbags That Spontaneously Deploy recalls | 9 days ago
- January 26: Takata Recalls 5 Million Airbags Affecting 10 Automakers recalls | 16 days ago
- January 4: Toyota Yaris Crash Kills 5 in California news | 38 days ago
- December 28: 2016 Top Safety Pick+ Award Winners news | 45 days ago
2003 Toyota RAV4
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
Worst 2003 RAV4 transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- delays in shifting, lurches foward, engine races51
- transmission jerks16
- problem with ecm14
- transmission and ecm failed13
- loss of power1
- transmission failure1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission106
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota RAV4 Model Years
Curious how the 2003 RAV4 compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota RAV4 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the RAV4.