CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

9.1

$1,918.00

1. replace transmission (152 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (37 reports)
  4. sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (31 reports)
  5. rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (18 reports)
  6. scrap it! (5 reports)
2003 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 17)

Sep 142016

Taurus SES 3.2L V6

THE TRANSMISSION JUST WENT OUT ON OUR 2003 FORD TARUS. SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE TO MAKE THEM REPLACE IT. IT SEEMS THIS IS HAPPENING TO EVERYONE WHO HAS BOUGHT THIS YEAR CAR. WHY, WITH ALL THE COMPLAINTS, THERE HASNT BEEN ANYTHING DONE. FORD, YOU SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBALITY FOR THIS. DO YOUR CUSTOMERS RIGHT.

- , Chillicothe, MO, USA

Jul 262016

Taurus SE 6 Cal

Warning. Dangerous Situation. Avoid! 2003 Taurus sedan with 55,000 original miles. Transmission failed in the middle of an intersection while making a left-hand turn. Transmission would not move in any gear. On-coming traffic could have collided with us. Towed to "Auto-Club" recommended dealer, who stated that this is a Known Problem by FORD with Taurus transmissions $2800 replacement cost. No way to fix without complete replacement. Called Ford corporate customer service and they said "nothing could be done and No reimbursement

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 162011

Taurus SES V6-182

Was leaving work one night, got to red light and stop. Light change ,gave gas and vechile did not move. Check gear to see if was in drive. Gave gas vechile did not move. Had to call and get a tow. Next day found out tramission was bad. Had to pay $1123.50 to get vechile repaired. Should I get my money back or some kind of refund. This is a common problem with the ford Taurus.

- , Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Jun 032016

Taurus LX 3.0L

Came out of the highway was able to turn, and then could not move anymore. The car turns on and accelerates but would not move when you put it in drive or reverse. After looking up problems with 2003 Ford Taurus Transmissions, to my surprise found out I was not alone.

Did not know there were so many similar problems with that same year car. I guess the Ford Motor Co. did not care about fixing the obvious problem. Anywhere I call is going to be costly, $1800.00 - $2000.00 or more. the vehicle has 108,000 miles is not worth for me to put that much money into it. will probably junk it. One thing for sure I'm not buying anymore Ford Vehicles.

- , Shorewood, IL, USA

Apr 082016

Taurus SES 3.0L

No warnings! Went to get my son from work, got to bottom of hill, let traffic go by, went to continue, and nothing! No, drive, no reverse, nothing! Had to have it towed home. I have been without a car for months, and looks like I'm there again! What the hell? I looked at paperwork that came with the car, and the transmission was serviced one year ago today! I only had car one week! I can't afford to replace it right now, and I can't afford to be without a car.

My question is if Ford knew about this car doing this, why the hell didn't they fix it?!

- , Troy, NH, USA

Mar 102016

Taurus SE

My son was driving down a 50 mph highway and the car just stopped switching gears. Luckily he was able to pull into a parking lot. The car only has 69,000 miles and we had to replace the torque converter for $1200.

- , Clinton Twp, USA

Feb 232016

Taurus SES 3.0L

Drove to work and parked car with no problems with transmission. There was no slipping or noises of any kind. I went to leave work that afternoon and the car started and ran fine but It would not go into any gear. Had it towed and got the call today that it needs a new transmission.

Update from Mar 8, 2016: I had a used transmission installed by someone that didn't charge an arm and a leg. The only problem with this is it a used transmission so the warranty is not very long but it was the cheapest route and that's the way I had to go. It cost me right at $700 total. Just saying a prayer that it will not happen again.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 032014

Taurus SES 3L V6-182 Ohv

For about a month, the transmission acted strange in that at highway speed, it would act as if it were in neutral for a little bit, then resume behaving normally. Of course, when we would take it to a mechanic, it would behave, so problems weren't easily found.

Eventually, we went to put the car back in the garage. Upon engaging drive, the transmission made a horrible grinding noise (much like shoving a manual into gear without bothering with the clutch), and left a large puddle of ATF in the driveway.

It moved far enough to get back into the garage and went into park.

At this point, it refused to disengage from park at all, and had to be dragged out on sleds to get it onto the back of a tow truck and head off for repair.

Here it is, ~2 years and ~15k miles later, and the reman is starting to act a bit funny again. Here's to hoping it either lives, or dies while still inside of the warranty...

- , West Allis, WI, USA

Nov 122015

Taurus

Transmission failed when my daughter was driving the car, and had to be replaced at a cost of $2000.

- , Perrysburg, OH, USA

Dec 012015

Taurus LS 3.0L V6

Like a lot of you, I was driving along in my Taurus and there was a pop and dead transmission. I have seen transmissions have problems before, but was honestly surprised when it just died out of the blue. I found out later that it is a defect in the transmission at the point of the drive shaft. Ford decided to go with an inexpensive part that, over time, will wear down and eventually break so that it effectively cuts the transmission from the engine. This was a design flaw that has caused a lot of people serious trouble with their cars down the road. If you are thinking about buying one of these cars be careful. These seem like nice cars, but the problems with the transmission gives zero warning leading up to the failure. Once it fails its either replace the transmission or replace the car - no third choice. And these days a new transmission is worth more than the car will be.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Oct 102015

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

This issue is totally uncalled for! This is most definitely an issue that Ford could have prevented! This car was purchased for my grandmother to have something reliable and it is anything but reliable. She is an older woman and only drove it to get groceries in the small town we live in and the car has been very well cared for and kept in a garage. It has never even been driven over 55mph and the transmission failed at only 80,000 miles!!!! This is heartbreaking because she is on a fixed income and Ford builds crap like this when there customers trust them!!!!! SHAME ON YOU FORD!!!!!! Your junk your selling to your customers could have left an old woman stranded!! All because of your greed!! Now she's stuck with a pile of worthless junk because you don't fix a problem you are well aware of!! I mean seriously you have over 10,000 complaints on this exact transmission and you've done nothing to make it right!!! Your customers will eventually figure you out and then what?? Do you really think your company is above this! You are only as big as your customers you idiots are going to take the whole company down with you and your greedy little selves!!!

- , Cordova, AL, USA

Sep 132015

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

Wife was supposed to leave in a couple of hours to help with sick grandson in Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and Trans just quit ... no prior symptoms or warning ... no gears forward or reverse ... like a lot of others have reported. Towed home for $125 and now sitting in the driveway. I'm reading internet posts trying to figure it out. Could be this problem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIQt4w70hYU - seems to explain it pretty well.

I had thought Ford resolved these Taurus trans problems from the earlier models ... guess I thought wrong ... seems they just kicked it down the road and then stopped producing the car 3 years later hoping they'd all crash or die and all go away. I had been thinking positive thoughts about Ford since they didn't take government money to bail them out of their financial difficulties like GM did. Or did they get some special "under the table deal" and kept their mouth shut in exchange for the gov't hammering GM and selling Chrysler to Fiat.

Might be time to re-teach the wife to drive a stick again like we used to when we were young ... never had a manual fail other than normal clutch replacements. Working a clutch is just a bit more difficult now that I'm partly disabled. Well, I'm just glad it happened a few miles from home rather than some obscure part of the PA Turnpike.

Update from Oct 25, 2015: Just as suspected it was the torque converter. The splines in the disc welded to the back of the case were stripped. This stops the pump shaft from turning. No pump = no fluid pressure = no gears. Replaced the torque converter and the car runs like new again. Only thing done to the transmission was fluid and filter change. It's just a lot of labor getting it out and back in. As one trans parts supplier told me, the AX4N trans is pretty bullet proof up about 200,000 miles. The torque converters are junk. Rebuilt converters by DAACO have splines twice as thick as original and so do TRANS STAR which now owns DAACO. So if you plan on keeping the car for awhile, insist on one of those or risk the same problem again. Make sure you change your fluid and filter regularly to protect the trans from unnecessary wear. Ford Engineers should be called to task for this stupid design decision.

- , Milford, MI, USA

Aug 052015

Taurus ES 3.2L

One evening after work I went out to get in my car and drive home. I started my car which was fine and shifted it into reverse. It never moved. I could not get it to go forward or backward. A friend pushed it hoping that it would catch but it did not. I ended up calling my partner to come and get me. I work an hour from home and this occurred at work so I later had to have it towed to a mechanic who could not look at for weeks. In the interim I had to use my partners car leaving her without transportation. She finally went out and bought another vehicle. I was told it will cost $2400 to fix because it needs a new transmission. I had no warning whatsoever that I had any problems with this transmission until it just quit. To say I am mad is an understatement. Who has $2400 laying around that would want to put it in a 13 year old car?

- , Oskaloosa, IA, USA

Sep 242015

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

Driving along, everything fine. Then like a Bolt from the Blue, Transmission stopped working. Engine runs fine. All I have is PARK!

- , N, NC, USA

Jul 252015

Taurus SE 3.2L V6

I was driving up the hill late at night as I was on a narrow road, and the car suddenly stopped. I had to let the car slide backwards on its own to a flatter spot. The car starts and runs, but it won't move on any gear. I spent over $2,000 fixing everything else in the car. Now I don't know what to do. The towing service told me it looks like I need a new transmission.

Ford did not make this car well. They did not warn people of sudden transmission failure.

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Oct 102014

Taurus SES V6

Simply driving along the highway, and accelerated slightly when the car acted as if it was in neutral. I coasted off of the road, thankfully I was able to do that safely. I heard many diagnoses for the problem, including the torque converter or transmission fluid being bad, but of course it was the most expensive issue: the transmission was shot. If the car wasn't worth as much as it is, I would've just bought another car. Maybe a '92 Toyota that seems to have a fraction of the problems of this 12 year old crap car.

- , Huntington, IN, USA

Jul 182015

Taurus LS V6

I was not certain that it was the transmission until I read all of the complaints on this website. Every example of what happened to others was what I experienced. I was going down the interstate at 70 mph, had just passed a car and all of a sudden I started loosing speed as if the car slipped in neutral. When I tried pressing the gas the RPMs just revved up. The car I passed, passed me and I managed to coast over the right lane off the side of the road. It was in the middle of the afternoon, 100 degrees out, and I was pissed. I put the car park, went back to drive and pressed the gas and again nothing just RPMs.

I popped the hood, and looked to see if I saw anything that looked weird (belt broke etc). Nothing, it sounded normal. Called boyfriend he came and got me 30mins later, called roadside assistance and they had it towed to a friend's shop. He's not a transmission guy so he called around to other mechanics and lo and behold the diagnoses was the transmission. He checked the fluid and it had that overflow in it, and that pretty much was the tale tell. I bought this car brand new in 2003, have almost 150,000 miles on it. I really cannot complain as besides normal wear & tear I have only had to replace the starter and now the transmission. BUT from what I hear it's going to be expensive!

- , Valley, AL, USA

Jul 192015

Taurus

Certainly never expected such a major problem with my Ford Taurus. There are so many similar cars on the road but have been told that this is a common problem with these cars. Unbelievable. I am single and living on very limited income. At this point I do not have the money to invest in a new or rebuilt transmission so am dependent on others to get me to appointments, etc. Doesn't seem fair that a major company like Ford can manufacture a car that has such a defect and not do anything about it.

- , Morenci, MI, USA

Aug 092015

Taurus SE 3.0

While driving down I-95 to have a Brown University visit my son was turning off the Expressway and transmission failed leaving him stranded nearly a hundred miles away from my house this car has been running great ever since we got it a year ago Ford refuses to do anything about these transmissions they are a bunch of idiots with a $0.02 washer in the torque converter that could easily have been beefed up and this problem would never a car needless to say I'm going to have to spend between $1800 and $2000 to have it fixed please be aware of this transmission issue as I see there are a ton of complaints about it I am calling Ford tomorrow to complain don't buy a 2003 Ford Taurus

- , Tewksbury, Mass , USA

May 072015

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

I was departing from parking lot and the car suddenly had some noise in the hood then lost all the power. After starting engine again, I can shift the gear into D or R, engine works OK but the car won't move at all. Before it happened, the transmission works fine, no delayed engagement, no slips or jolts...the transmission just stopped without any warning signs at all.

The car is regularly and well maintained. No check engine light on when it happened.

Later it turned out to be the stripped torque converter splines. The splines are only 0.16" thick by Ford's obvious defective designs, which can be easily stripped.

TAURUS 2003 SHOULD REALLY BE RECALLED BY FORD.

- , Milpitas, CA, USA