- January 26: Ford Recalls Ranger Trucks After Driver Killed by Airbag recalls | 16 days ago
- January 22: Ford Ranger Driver Killed by Takata Airbag in South Carolina news | 20 days ago
- January 19: Ford Focus Door Latch Problems Earn Investigation investigations | 23 days ago
- January 10: Investigation Closed Into Ford Edge 22-Inch Alloy Wheels investigations | 32 days ago
- December 29: Ford Recalls 10,000 Vehicles For Engine Problems and Fire Risk recalls | 44 days ago
2003 Ford Taurus (Page 1 of 17)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.
The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.
Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.
The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 93,352 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 323 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace transmission (149 reports)
- not sure (79 reports)
- replace torque converter (36 reports)
- sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (31 reports)
- rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (17 reports)
- scrap it! (5 reports)