- May 27: Ford Recalls 443,000 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Cars
- May 26: Ford Edge Investigated After 22-Inch Alloy Wheel Breaks
- May 13: Ford Recalls 2015 Ford F-150 Trucks To Fix Loss of Steering
- May 4: Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Brake Hose Failures Investigated
- May 1: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Problems Turn Into Huge Recall
2003 Ford Taurus
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.
The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.
Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.
The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...
Worst 2003 Taurus Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems365NHTSA complaints: 31
- engine problems37NHTSA complaints: 49
- suspension problems24NHTSA complaints: 98
- AC / heater problems20NHTSA complaints: 17
- interior accessories problems19NHTSA complaints: 8
- electrical problems17NHTSA complaints: 55
- windows / windshield problems9NHTSA complaints: 55
- body / paint problems4NHTSA complaints: 73
- lights problems4NHTSA complaints: 12
- exhaust system problems3NHTSA complaints: 2
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 13
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 20
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 10
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 108
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 34
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 14
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 7
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Taurus Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Taurus compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Taurus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Taurus.