- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 19: Ford Recalls Vehicles for Steering and Windshield Problems
- January 15: Ford Recalls Edge (Again): Gas Leak Could Cause Fire
- January 14: Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Over MyFord Touch Complaints
- January 3: The Worst Cars and Car Problems of 2013
- December 30: Ford Recalls Lincoln MKZ Hybrid For Roll Away Risk
- December 23: The Safest Cars to Drive in 2014
2003 Ford Taurus
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.
The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.
Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.
The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...
Worst 2003 Taurus Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- transmission problems355NHTSA complaints: 145
- engine problems26NHTSA complaints: 125
- electrical problems24NHTSA complaints: 82
- suspension problems22NHTSA complaints: 309
- AC / heater problems19NHTSA complaints: 22
- windows / windshield problems9NHTSA complaints: 83
- body / paint problems4NHTSA complaints: 102
- fuel system problems4NHTSA complaints: 16
- interior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 11
- exhaust system problems3NHTSA complaints: 2
- drivetrain problems2NHTSA complaints: 110
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 28
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 14
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 26
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 124
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 40
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 23
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 15
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Taurus Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Taurus compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Taurus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Taurus.