6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 31)

Oct 012008

Explorer Limited V8

The entire rear panel below the window is cracked or cracking, including the portion of the panel that you have to squeeze to open the rear hatch. Virtually every Explorer we have seen has this problem.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 152010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Too common of a problem to not be a manufacturer defect. Ford needs to acknowledge the design flaw and fix it.

- , Duluth, GA, USA

Sep 012015

Explorer XLT 4.0L

cracked panel below the rear window

My firs problem was when the vehicle was 2 years old the front hub assembly was replaced It cost me around $700 dollars. Not covered by my extended warranty.

Also had to replaced the fuel pump with only 30,000 miles another unnecessary expense MY 1989 Toyota Corolla still has the original fuel pump.

replaced the lift supports hood and rear door like 3 times with original parts from the dealer,

I gave up on fixing the 3rd seat ac, the actuators were replaced twice and still don't work they seem to work for 2 couple of years only.

Now the lift gate has a lot of cracks, out of curiosity where ever i go and see an explorer like mine I see they all have that problem some have vertical cracks and some have horizontal cracks so far I haven't been able to see one with a good rear panel. except one that had a primer one not matching the original paint.

- , Culver City, CA, USA

Apr 102012

Explorer LX 3.2L

This vertical crack on the tail gate panel has occurred twice. Once the dealer repaired it and it cost me $200.00 and it broke one year later. I had it repaired again. This time the tail gate repair cost me $250.00. The only reason I still own the truck because I paid it off. I am pondering trading it in for another reliable truck with far less problems.

- , Jurupa Valley, CA, USA

Feb 102016

Explorer XLS 4.0L

We had a number of problems when we bought our 02 Explorer with 19000 miles on it. We purchased the extended warranty and glad we did. After a number of trips to the dealership where we bought it, our issues where fixed. Now this, if Ford don't fix it, I'll be going with another brand. I've been buying Ford's all my life, I guess it's time for a change.

- , Billings, MO, USA

Feb 142016

Explorer XLS V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

Got a car wash earlier in the day... Car was kept overnight in my garage... bitter cold temperatures that night (-2 degrees)... next day noticed the crack.. couldn't believe it!

Not covered under my comprehensive insurance coverage... no recall with Ford (that I'm aware of)...was told today (2/16/16) by auto body shop owner & Insurance claims adjuster that it was a defect!!!

Now I'm stuck with a car with body damage on it... I'm not going to pay out of pocket to get this fixed... it will cost too much money!

- , Valley Cottage, NY, USA

Jan 062016

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

We bought this 2002 Explorer new for vacation long haul driving in the hope of comfort and reliability. It has evolved in the biggest piece of poor engineering, aggravation, and in general disappointment of any car or truck that I have ever owned.

This compliant of the tailgate crack is only the latest of the list of unrelenting defects that started on day one and never subsided to this day. Ford was consist at every turn, they danced around every issue or used the shell game approach just to get you out of service department until the warranty was out all the while never fixing anything and charging you for not doing it.

I am not talking about petty little nit picking things, I am talking hazardous issues with the motor, transmission, brakes, lights, doors, windows, defrosting system and God only knows how many electronic issues because I'm certain that FMC didn't keep track of them. The money spent on the extended warranty should have been spent on toilet paper for it would served me better in the end!!!

In the end we call corporate countless times on countless issues to no avail, tried to lemon law the piece of junk and that proved fruitless, and we still have it sitting in the garage because it has a resale value of next to nothing. The final side note on it is that this car sat in a heated garage its whole live and after ten years of ownership it had less than 30,000 miles and most of those were back and forth to the service department, but the best of all is along the way I tried to trade it in on a new truck and they didn't want it. Seriously!!!!!

- , Coshocton, OH, USA

Feb 052012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

This seems to be just a minor problem compared with the rest of the things wrong with this model year. I am really not sure what Ford were thinking in 2002. I don't like fords anyway but this model year takes the cake.

- , Findlay, OH, USA

Nov 022009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

The plastic panel under rear lift-gate window is cracked...been this way since I purchased the vehicle. When I go through a carwash part of it comes off. Tried glue to repair but overtime it comes off again.

- , High Point, NC, USA

Feb 012014

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

This could lead to bigger issues.The window wiper could stop working or the back windshield could crack.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 012011

Explorer ES V6

- , Oneida, KY, USA

Jun 012004

Explorer XLT 4.0L

We thought someone had backed into our vehicle. There was a truck parked behind us at the store with a ladder hanging out the back & we thought he must have backed into it & left. We had it fix because it wasn't that much above the deductible. About 6-8 months later the same crack was there again. After checking with other owners & watching the passing vehicles a pattern formed - DUH!!! Contacted several dealers but "it's not our problem". Ford says its not their problem, dealers say its not their problem! Guess owners are screwed!

Unfortunately, the Explorer is NOT the only victim to this design flaw; the Expedition is also a victim. The wife refuses to part with the vehicle and Ford doesn't want to fix the problem. After almost 4000 complaints just on the Explorer you would think Ford would realize they have a problem.....oh excuse me - how silly of me to actually think a car company would actually do "the right thing" by their customers without a court order. Until a judge from our overpaid court officials gets fed up with this problem, I guess us little-people are screwed AGAIN!

- , Cumming, GA, USA

Oct 162013

Explorer XLS 4.0L

This is soooo bad a company, should stand behind its engineering dept. and not keep hiding behind the panels of excuses. Man up ford, yes I spelled it with a small f because use there is a large problem. When we drive around in a vehicle you like, everything behind that company should be backed up by its name. Come on ford, stand behind your product please. Thank you

- , Maplewood, USA

Apr 182015

Explorer LImited

Th rear window shuttered into 100 pieces and Cracked Rear Panel. Need help, advise, if the FORD is reliable for repairs?

- , Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jul 142014

Explorer XLT

It is cracked and I've noticed another crack starting. I would like Ford to fix it.

- , Stafford, TX, USA

Sep 012006

Explorer XLT V6

Ford should pay for it, since it was a body problem and it has happened to so many people. I called Ford about it and they told me they didn't have a plan or reimbursement in place. This is something that appeared out of nowhere!

- , Westfield, MA, USA

Nov 202009

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

Dealership said a lot of these Ford Explorers had this problem and that I should wait because Ford will likely having a recall to correct. Waited year after year and still nothing was done. Ended up just sealing it with a silicone caulk. The back window latch also failed to secure and SUV would not pass inspection. I sealed the window with silicone caulk in order to pass inspection. 50% of the Ford Explorers I see have this same panel cracking problem.

- , Export, PA, USA

Jan 082008

Explorer LX 3.2L V6

cracked panel below the rear window

I have a folder of pictures of Explorers with the same defect. Ford should provide a remedy.

- , Lake St. Louis, MO, USA

Feb 192015

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

I have not seen an Explorer with an UN-CRACKED panel yet..

- , Branchville, NJ, USA

Apr 242003

Explorer Limited 4.0L V6

click to see larger images

The first time in 03 was a pain, the second time in 08 was a real pain, and the 3rd time 2011 was a triple pain in the a€£¥', and I'm finally going to fix it again, after it has been cracked for 4 or 5 years and listening to my wife gripe forever! It seems like everything is plastic, the plastic valve cover cracked in 05 and oil burned and smoked off of the header for ever! The plastic thermostat housing has cracked a couple of times and also the intake manifold! This will be my last Ford for sure!

- , Highland, UT, USA