- March 29: Ford Freestyle Engine Surge Lawsuit Not Dead Yet
- March 25: Ford Recalls 221,000 Vehicles in Three Recalls
- March 23: Ford Focus and Fusion Power Steering Lawsuit Dismissed
- March 18: Ford Unintended Acceleration Lawsuit Filed in Louisiana
- March 12: Massive Car Hacking Lawsuit Filed Against Ford, GM and Toyota
2005 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2005 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems281NHTSA complaints: 4
- transmission problems136NHTSA complaints: 14
- interior accessories problems81NHTSA complaints: 5
- engine problems50NHTSA complaints: 35
- wheels / hubs problems35NHTSA complaints: 4
- AC / heater problems34
- fuel system problems21NHTSA complaints: 23
- drivetrain problems19NHTSA complaints: 8
- windows / windshield problems15NHTSA complaints: 5
- electrical problems9NHTSA complaints: 11
- exterior accessories problems6NHTSA complaints: 8
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 7
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 6
- brakes problems3NHTSA complaints: 5
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- cooling system problems1
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- steering problemsNHTSA: 2
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.