- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 19: Ford Recalls Vehicles for Steering and Windshield Problems
- January 15: Ford Recalls Edge (Again): Gas Leak Could Cause Fire
- January 14: Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Over MyFord Touch Complaints
- January 3: The Worst Cars and Car Problems of 2013
- December 30: Ford Recalls Lincoln MKZ Hybrid For Roll Away Risk
- December 23: The Safest Cars to Drive in 2014
2005 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2005 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- body / paint problems228NHTSA complaints: 103
- transmission problems121NHTSA complaints: 41
- interior accessories problems55NHTSA complaints: 7
- electrical problems39NHTSA complaints: 19
- engine problems27NHTSA complaints: 63
- AC / heater problems24NHTSA complaints: 2
- wheels / hubs problems23NHTSA complaints: 17
- drivetrain problems19NHTSA complaints: 36
- fuel system problems16NHTSA complaints: 51
- windows / windshield problems15NHTSA complaints: 19
- brakes problems4NHTSA complaints: 10
- exhaust system problems3NHTSA complaints: 1
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 12
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 12
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 14
- steering problems2NHTSA complaints: 8
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 7
- lights problemsNHTSA: 2
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.