- November 28: Ford Tosses Takata, Toyota Recalls Takata Airbags
- November 23: Ford Recalls 452,000 Cars To Fix Gas Tank Leaks
- November 21: Ford Recalls E-350 and E-450 For Trailer Brake Problems
- October 28: Ford Recalls 131,000 Vehicles, Mostly SUVs For Fire Risk
- October 20: Ford F-150 Electric Brake Vacuum Pump Investigation Upgraded
2005 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2005 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems296NHTSA complaints: 139
- transmission problems146NHTSA complaints: 41
- interior accessories problems84NHTSA complaints: 8
- engine problems50NHTSA complaints: 74
- wheels / hubs problems39NHTSA complaints: 22
- AC / heater problems35NHTSA complaints: 2
- fuel system problems23NHTSA complaints: 62
- drivetrain problems19NHTSA complaints: 41
- windows / windshield problems17NHTSA complaints: 20
- electrical problems9NHTSA complaints: 25
- exterior accessories problems7NHTSA complaints: 14
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 13
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 13
- brakes problems3NHTSA complaints: 14
- exhaust system problems3NHTSA complaints: 1
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- steering problemsNHTSA: 10
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 6
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.