- August 18: Ford Recalls 26,400 Ford F-650 and F-750 Trucks
- August 15: Ford Headlights Not Working? Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis Investigated
- August 8: Ford F-150 Aluminum-Body Crash Test Results
- August 4: Lincoln MKT Livery SUVs Recalled For Wrong Placard
- July 30: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Gets Green Light
2005 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2005 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems290NHTSA complaints: 139
- transmission problems141NHTSA complaints: 41
- interior accessories problems84NHTSA complaints: 8
- engine problems50NHTSA complaints: 74
- wheels / hubs problems37NHTSA complaints: 22
- AC / heater problems34NHTSA complaints: 2
- fuel system problems22NHTSA complaints: 62
- drivetrain problems19NHTSA complaints: 41
- windows / windshield problems15NHTSA complaints: 20
- electrical problems9NHTSA complaints: 25
- exterior accessories problems7NHTSA complaints: 14
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 13
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 13
- brakes problems3NHTSA complaints: 14
- exhaust system problems3NHTSA complaints: 1
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- steering problemsNHTSA: 10
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 6
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.