- December 18: Ford Recalls 500,000 Mustangs To Fix Exploding Airbags
- December 4: Ford Recalls Mustang Sports Cars and Transit Connect Cargo Vans
- November 25: Ford Cleared in Steering Defect Investigation of 500,000 Cars
- November 18: Ford Fusions Recalled So They Don't Roll Away
- November 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Fumes Lawsuit Still Breathing
2005 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2005 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems269NHTSA complaints: 129
- transmission problems131NHTSA complaints: 41
- interior accessories problems79NHTSA complaints: 8
- engine problems48NHTSA complaints: 72
- AC / heater problems34NHTSA complaints: 2
- wheels / hubs problems34NHTSA complaints: 22
- fuel system problems21NHTSA complaints: 55
- drivetrain problems18NHTSA complaints: 40
- windows / windshield problems15NHTSA complaints: 20
- electrical problems9NHTSA complaints: 25
- exterior accessories problems5NHTSA complaints: 14
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 12
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 13
- brakes problems3NHTSA complaints: 13
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- steering problemsNHTSA: 10
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 5
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.