- October 3: Investigation Expanded Into Ford Explorer Police Interceptors
- September 30: Ford Recalls 380,000 Vehicles in 6 Recalls
- September 15: Ford Mustang Hood Corrosion Lawsuit Tossed Out
- September 7: Ford Explorer Cracked Rear Panel Lawsuit Seeks Class Certification
- August 18: Ford Recalls 26,400 Ford F-650 and F-750 Trucks
2005 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2005 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems293NHTSA complaints: 139
- transmission problems144NHTSA complaints: 41
- interior accessories problems84NHTSA complaints: 8
- engine problems50NHTSA complaints: 74
- wheels / hubs problems38NHTSA complaints: 22
- AC / heater problems35NHTSA complaints: 2
- fuel system problems23NHTSA complaints: 62
- drivetrain problems19NHTSA complaints: 41
- windows / windshield problems16NHTSA complaints: 20
- electrical problems9NHTSA complaints: 25
- exterior accessories problems7NHTSA complaints: 14
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 13
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 13
- brakes problems3NHTSA complaints: 14
- exhaust system problems3NHTSA complaints: 1
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- steering problemsNHTSA: 10
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 6
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.