- September 26: Jury Rules Ford Escape Airbag Caused Man to Kill Himself news | 3 days ago
- September 22: Ford Shattering Sunroofs Cause Class-Action Lawsuit news | 7 days ago
- September 8: Ford Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles Over Door Latches recalls | 21 days ago
- August 28: Ford Explorer Exhaust Lawsuit Settled by Parties news | 32 days ago
- August 25: Ford Recalls 113,000 Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 35 days ago
2005 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 73,577 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 52 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (22 reports)
- remanufactured transmission (11 reports)
- replace solenoid valve body, reprogram PCM & add additive (9 reports)
- get a "new remanufactured transmission" or fix o/d band (5 reports)
- let it warm up before driving (2 reports)
- hesitation when accelerating (1 reports)