- May 25: Ford Recalls 271,000 F-150 Trucks For Leaking Master Cylinders recalls | 1 days ago
- May 17: Ford Spark Plugs Breaking? Ford Settles Class-Action Lawsuit news | 9 days ago
- May 16: Recalled Axle Repair May Not Meet U.S. Safety Agency's Own Rules news | 10 days ago
- May 3: No Recall For Ford F-150 Brake Pedal Problems investigations | 23 days ago
- April 27: Ford Recalls 285,000 Cars and SUVs in 5 Recalls recalls | 29 days ago
2005 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 73,577 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 52 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (22 reports)
- remanufactured transmission (11 reports)
- replace solenoid valve body, reprogram PCM & add additive (9 reports)
- get a "new remanufactured transmission" or fix o/d band (5 reports)
- let it warm up before driving (2 reports)
- hesitation when accelerating (1 reports)