- January 26: Ford Recalls Ranger Trucks After Driver Killed by Airbag recalls | 14 days ago
- January 22: Ford Ranger Driver Killed by Takata Airbag in South Carolina news | 18 days ago
- January 19: Ford Focus Door Latch Problems Earn Investigation investigations | 21 days ago
- January 10: Investigation Closed Into Ford Edge 22-Inch Alloy Wheels investigations | 30 days ago
- December 29: Ford Recalls 10,000 Vehicles For Engine Problems and Fire Risk recalls | 42 days ago
2005 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 73,686 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 51 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (21 reports)
- remanufactured transmission (11 reports)
- replace solenoid valve body, reprogram PCM & add additive (9 reports)
- get a "new remanufactured transmission" or fix o/d band (5 reports)
- let it warm up before driving (2 reports)
- hesitation when accelerating (1 reports)