- April 13: Ford Ordered to Pay $3 Million in Crash of 2001 Ford Ranger
- April 7: Government Petitioned To Investigate Ford SUV Recall
- April 5: Do Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis Headlights Fail?
- March 29: Ford Freestyle Engine Surge Lawsuit Not Dead Yet
- March 25: Ford Recalls 221,000 Vehicles in Three Recalls
2003 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2003 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems604NHTSA complaints: 185
- transmission problems447NHTSA complaints: 84
- wheels / hubs problems172NHTSA complaints: 29
- interior accessories problems107NHTSA complaints: 15
- drivetrain problems90NHTSA complaints: 86
- AC / heater problems88NHTSA complaints: 4
- engine problems73NHTSA complaints: 65
- windows / windshield problems61NHTSA complaints: 24
- brakes problems24NHTSA complaints: 33
- suspension problems16NHTSA complaints: 39
- electrical problems13NHTSA complaints: 28
- seat belts / air bags problems10NHTSA complaints: 35
- exterior accessories problems8NHTSA complaints: 23
- lights problems5NHTSA complaints: 4
- steering problems5NHTSA complaints: 13
- cooling system problems4NHTSA complaints: 3
- clutch problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 7
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 14
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.