- December 18: Ford Recalls 500,000 Mustangs To Fix Exploding Airbags
- December 4: Ford Recalls Mustang Sports Cars and Transit Connect Cargo Vans
- November 25: Ford Cleared in Steering Defect Investigation of 500,000 Cars
- November 18: Ford Fusions Recalled So They Don't Roll Away
- November 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Fumes Lawsuit Still Breathing
2003 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2003 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems588NHTSA complaints: 343
- transmission problems436NHTSA complaints: 161
- wheels / hubs problems170NHTSA complaints: 66
- interior accessories problems105NHTSA complaints: 19
- drivetrain problems88NHTSA complaints: 172
- AC / heater problems86NHTSA complaints: 5
- engine problems71NHTSA complaints: 108
- windows / windshield problems58NHTSA complaints: 37
- brakes problems24NHTSA complaints: 45
- suspension problems16NHTSA complaints: 66
- electrical problems12NHTSA complaints: 45
- seat belts / air bags problems8NHTSA complaints: 48
- exterior accessories problems6NHTSA complaints: 36
- lights problems5NHTSA complaints: 6
- cooling system problems4NHTSA complaints: 5
- steering problems4NHTSA complaints: 24
- clutch problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 13
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 27
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.