- August 17: Ford Recalls 160,000 Escape and Focus ST Vehicles For Erratic Engines
- August 14: Ford Recalls 83,000 Vehicles Because of One Small C-Clip
- August 8: Ford Recalls Vans and SUVs for Leaking Brake Fluid and Bubbly Windshields
- July 17: Ford Lawsuit Claims Steering Defects in Ford Fusion and Focus Cars
- July 12: Investigation Looks at Steering Problems in 500,000 Ford Cars
2003 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2003 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems547NHTSA complaints: 333
- transmission problems430NHTSA complaints: 161
- wheels / hubs problems163NHTSA complaints: 63
- drivetrain problems86NHTSA complaints: 157
- AC / heater problems79NHTSA complaints: 5
- electrical problems62NHTSA complaints: 39
- engine problems61NHTSA complaints: 100
- interior accessories problems51NHTSA complaints: 19
- windows / windshield problems47NHTSA complaints: 37
- brakes problems24NHTSA complaints: 43
- suspension problems13NHTSA complaints: 63
- exterior accessories problems8NHTSA complaints: 35
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 46
- cooling system problems4NHTSA complaints: 5
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 13
- lights problems3NHTSA complaints: 6
- steering problems3NHTSA complaints: 22
- miscellaneous problems2NHTSA complaints: 23
- clutch problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.