- June 19: Ford Wins Lincoln Town Car Airbag Lawsuit news | 9 days ago
- June 3: Ford PowerShift Transmission Lawsuit Includes Fiesta and Focus news | 25 days ago
- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 31 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 34 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls Trucks With Aftermarket Door Handle Covers recalls | 34 days ago
2003 Ford Explorer
body / paint Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2003 Explorer body / paint Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- cracked panel below the rear window545
- paint is peeling37
- black plastic panels between windows fade and crack33
- corrosion of aluminum hood16
- hatch back would not close, light always on2
- hinges don't hold doors open2
- faded exterior window and door trim1
- wood trim breaks off1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body130
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate90
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate: Hinge And ...54
- NHTSA: Structure44
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Tailgate 13
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door 6
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Tailgate: Hinge And Attachments6
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hood5
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate: Support Device 4
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members4
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Trunk Lid 2
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door: Hinge And Attachments1
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members: Underbody Shields1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.