Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1. change door hinge design (1 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

May 312007

Explorer V6

lost hinge screws on one side of the hatch door. Stuck inside door panel.

- , Muskegon, MI, USA

Mar 132003

Explorer Sport

My new 2003 Explorer Sport which cost alot of money has faulty door hinges. When you open the door it won't catch & hold. If on the very slightest incline the door will slam on you. This is a very important safety issue for me as I have small grandchildren that ride in my vehicle & I find this dangerous not to mention inconvenient. When I drive my daughter & grandchildren anywhere I have to hold the door open while she puts one child in the back & she holds the door while I put the other child in the back in their carseats. The car dealership service dept stated all the other 2 door Explorers have the same hinge & they can do nothing to fix it. I'm sure mini-van manufacturers said the same thing when sliding doors slammed on people. Does anyone else have this problem or care about it?

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA