- July 2: Ford Recalls C-MAX, Escape and Focus For Non-Stop Engines
- June 26: Investigation Into Vacuum Assist Pumps in Ford F-150 Trucks
- June 24: Ford Recalls 203,000 Escape SUVs and Transit Connect Vans
- June 23: Ford 5.4 Liter Spark Plug Lawsuit
- June 7: Ford Fusion Hybrid MPG Lawsuit Says Advertised MPG Is Wrong
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems1450NHTSA complaints: 627
- body / paint problems720NHTSA complaints: 373
- interior accessories problems357NHTSA complaints: 33
- wheels / hubs problems291NHTSA complaints: 66
- drivetrain problems275NHTSA complaints: 343
- windows / windshield problems206NHTSA complaints: 71
- engine problems140NHTSA complaints: 189
- suspension problems88NHTSA complaints: 326
- AC / heater problems87NHTSA complaints: 11
- electrical problems38NHTSA complaints: 77
- brakes problems28NHTSA complaints: 112
- seat belts / air bags problems28NHTSA complaints: 125
- exterior accessories problems20NHTSA complaints: 62
- fuel system problems17NHTSA complaints: 40
- lights problems17NHTSA complaints: 10
- miscellaneous problems10NHTSA complaints: 18
- steering problems9NHTSA complaints: 72
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 6
- exhaust system problems5NHTSA complaints: 24
- clutch problems4NHTSA complaints: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.