- July 17: Ford Lawsuit Claims Steering Defects in Ford Fusion and Focus Cars
- July 12: Investigation Looks at Steering Problems in 500,000 Ford Cars
- July 9: Ford Recalls Cars and SUVs for Flying Roof Glass and Roll Away Danger
- June 29: Ford Dealers Told How to Fix Rough Idle and Rattle Noise
- June 25: Ford Recalls F-150 Over Steering Problems, Tells Owners to Park Trucks
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems1397NHTSA complaints: 980
- body / paint problems641NHTSA complaints: 451
- interior accessories problems363NHTSA complaints: 51
- wheels / hubs problems279NHTSA complaints: 106
- drivetrain problems262NHTSA complaints: 522
- windows / windshield problems201NHTSA complaints: 96
- engine problems128NHTSA complaints: 295
- suspension problems82NHTSA complaints: 449
- AC / heater problems78NHTSA complaints: 11
- electrical problems33NHTSA complaints: 120
- brakes problems28NHTSA complaints: 130
- seat belts / air bags problems28NHTSA complaints: 165
- lights problems18NHTSA complaints: 14
- fuel system problems16NHTSA complaints: 65
- miscellaneous problems9NHTSA complaints: 35
- exhaust system problems8NHTSA complaints: 26
- steering problems8NHTSA complaints: 143
- exterior accessories problems7NHTSA complaints: 81
- cooling system problems6NHTSA complaints: 7
- clutch problems4NHTSA complaints: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.