- March 24: Ford Edge Door Ajar Light Recall Not Necessary, Say Feds investigations | 1 days ago
- March 22: Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Lawsuit Says Cars Overheat news | 3 days ago
- March 20: Ford Explorer Police Vehicles Get Carbon Monoxide Detectors news | 5 days ago
- March 15: Ford Recalls 2017 Mustangs to Repair Door Handles recalls | 10 days ago
- March 5: Ford Dual-Clutch Transmission Lawsuit Filed in Texas news | 20 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems1507NHTSA complaints: 983
- body / paint problems747NHTSA complaints: 478
- interior accessories problems332NHTSA complaints: 55
- wheels / hubs problems292NHTSA complaints: 112
- drivetrain problems279NHTSA complaints: 584
- windows / windshield problems214NHTSA complaints: 100
- engine problems149NHTSA complaints: 324
- AC / heater problems89NHTSA complaints: 11
- suspension problems89NHTSA complaints: 458
- exterior accessories problems48NHTSA complaints: 86
- electrical problems42NHTSA complaints: 136
- seat belts / air bags problems30NHTSA complaints: 187
- brakes problems28NHTSA complaints: 137
- fuel system problems18NHTSA complaints: 71
- lights problems17NHTSA complaints: 15
- miscellaneous problems11NHTSA complaints: 41
- steering problems11NHTSA complaints: 154
- cooling system problems8NHTSA complaints: 7
- exhaust system problems6NHTSA complaints: 26
- clutch problems5NHTSA complaints: 4
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.