- February 24: Ford Recalls F-250 and F-350 Trucks With Replacement Steering Gears
- February 8: Ford Explorer Leaking Brake Hose Investigation Closed
- February 3: Ford Lawsuit Alleges Engine Problems in 2004-2008 Models
- February 1: Ford Recalls 221,000 Vehicles To Repair Door Handles and Seat Belts
- January 25: Ford Fiesta and Focus Transmission Lawsuit Filed After Complaints
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems1437NHTSA complaints: 627
- body / paint problems709NHTSA complaints: 373
- interior accessories problems356NHTSA complaints: 33
- wheels / hubs problems291NHTSA complaints: 66
- drivetrain problems274NHTSA complaints: 343
- windows / windshield problems204NHTSA complaints: 71
- engine problems137NHTSA complaints: 189
- suspension problems88NHTSA complaints: 326
- AC / heater problems87NHTSA complaints: 11
- electrical problems38NHTSA complaints: 77
- brakes problems28NHTSA complaints: 112
- seat belts / air bags problems28NHTSA complaints: 125
- exterior accessories problems20NHTSA complaints: 62
- fuel system problems17NHTSA complaints: 40
- lights problems17NHTSA complaints: 10
- miscellaneous problems10NHTSA complaints: 18
- steering problems8NHTSA complaints: 72
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 6
- exhaust system problems5NHTSA complaints: 24
- clutch problems4NHTSA complaints: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.