- April 24: Ford Recalls 390,000 Cars After 658 Door Latch Complaints
- April 13: Ford Ordered to Pay $3 Million in Crash of 2001 Ford Ranger
- April 7: Government Petitioned To Investigate Ford SUV Recall
- April 5: Do Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis Headlights Fail?
- March 29: Ford Freestyle Engine Surge Lawsuit Not Dead Yet
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems1445NHTSA complaints: 627
- body / paint problems717NHTSA complaints: 373
- interior accessories problems357NHTSA complaints: 33
- wheels / hubs problems291NHTSA complaints: 66
- drivetrain problems275NHTSA complaints: 343
- windows / windshield problems205NHTSA complaints: 71
- engine problems139NHTSA complaints: 189
- suspension problems88NHTSA complaints: 326
- AC / heater problems87NHTSA complaints: 11
- electrical problems38NHTSA complaints: 77
- brakes problems28NHTSA complaints: 112
- seat belts / air bags problems28NHTSA complaints: 125
- exterior accessories problems20NHTSA complaints: 62
- fuel system problems17NHTSA complaints: 40
- lights problems17NHTSA complaints: 10
- miscellaneous problems10NHTSA complaints: 18
- steering problems8NHTSA complaints: 72
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 6
- exhaust system problems5NHTSA complaints: 24
- clutch problems4NHTSA complaints: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.