- October 17: Ford Recalls 2015 Mustang to Fix Seat Belt Buckle Assembly
- October 13: Ford Cracked Tailgate Class-Action Lawsuit Ongoing
- October 6: Ford Recalls Cars, Trucks and SUVs To Fix Fuel System Failures
- October 6: Feds Investigate Power Steering Problems In Ford, Mercury and Lincoln Cars
- September 26: Ford Recalls 850,000 Vehicles For Short Circuit That Disables Air Bags
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems1407NHTSA complaints: 980
- body / paint problems645NHTSA complaints: 451
- interior accessories problems364NHTSA complaints: 51
- wheels / hubs problems280NHTSA complaints: 106
- drivetrain problems266NHTSA complaints: 522
- windows / windshield problems207NHTSA complaints: 96
- engine problems130NHTSA complaints: 295
- suspension problems83NHTSA complaints: 449
- AC / heater problems80NHTSA complaints: 11
- electrical problems34NHTSA complaints: 120
- brakes problems28NHTSA complaints: 130
- seat belts / air bags problems28NHTSA complaints: 165
- lights problems18NHTSA complaints: 14
- fuel system problems16NHTSA complaints: 65
- miscellaneous problems10NHTSA complaints: 35
- steering problems10NHTSA complaints: 143
- exhaust system problems8NHTSA complaints: 26
- exterior accessories problems7NHTSA complaints: 81
- cooling system problems6NHTSA complaints: 7
- clutch problems4NHTSA complaints: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.