- November 26: Ford Recalls 150,000 Escapes That Could Go Up in Flames
- November 23: Ford Recalls Focus Electric Car For Transmission Software Problems
- October 27: Ford Recalls Cars With Silent Door Chimes
- September 30: Drive a Ford F-250? Better Lock the Doors
- September 11: Ford Focus Electric Cars Target of Federal Investigation
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- transmission problems1405NHTSA complaints: 980
- body / paint problems627NHTSA complaints: 444
- wheels / hubs problems274NHTSA complaints: 105
- interior accessories problems220NHTSA complaints: 50
- drivetrain problems218NHTSA complaints: 502
- windows / windshield problems192NHTSA complaints: 96
- electrical problems146NHTSA complaints: 118
- engine problems135NHTSA complaints: 285
- suspension problems91NHTSA complaints: 447
- AC / heater problems76NHTSA complaints: 11
- brakes problems34NHTSA complaints: 127
- seat belts / air bags problems26NHTSA complaints: 162
- exterior accessories problems21NHTSA complaints: 81
- fuel system problems16NHTSA complaints: 65
- steering problems14NHTSA complaints: 139
- miscellaneous problems12NHTSA complaints: 33
- lights problems10NHTSA complaints: 13
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 7
- exhaust system problems7NHTSA complaints: 26
- clutch problems5NHTSA complaints: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.