- August 18: Ford Recalls 26,400 Ford F-650 and F-750 Trucks
- August 15: Ford Headlights Not Working? Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis Investigated
- August 8: Ford F-150 Aluminum-Body Crash Test Results
- August 4: Lincoln MKT Livery SUVs Recalled For Wrong Placard
- July 30: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Gets Green Light
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems1456NHTSA complaints: 983
- body / paint problems721NHTSA complaints: 465
- interior accessories problems358NHTSA complaints: 53
- wheels / hubs problems291NHTSA complaints: 109
- drivetrain problems275NHTSA complaints: 553
- windows / windshield problems207NHTSA complaints: 97
- engine problems143NHTSA complaints: 310
- suspension problems88NHTSA complaints: 451
- AC / heater problems87NHTSA complaints: 11
- electrical problems39NHTSA complaints: 125
- brakes problems28NHTSA complaints: 134
- seat belts / air bags problems28NHTSA complaints: 176
- exterior accessories problems20NHTSA complaints: 83
- fuel system problems17NHTSA complaints: 69
- lights problems17NHTSA complaints: 14
- miscellaneous problems11NHTSA complaints: 42
- steering problems9NHTSA complaints: 149
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 7
- exhaust system problems5NHTSA complaints: 26
- clutch problems4NHTSA complaints: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.