- November 18: Ford Fusions Recalled So They Don't Roll Away
- November 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Fumes Lawsuit Still Breathing
- November 4: Ford Recalls 202,000 Vehicles For Numerous Defects
- October 30: Ford Recalls 205,000 SUVs That Can Catch Fire
- October 17: Ford Recalls 2015 Mustang to Fix Seat Belt Buckle Assembly
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems1419NHTSA complaints: 980
- body / paint problems680NHTSA complaints: 451
- interior accessories problems364NHTSA complaints: 51
- wheels / hubs problems288NHTSA complaints: 106
- drivetrain problems270NHTSA complaints: 522
- windows / windshield problems209NHTSA complaints: 96
- engine problems135NHTSA complaints: 295
- AC / heater problems85NHTSA complaints: 11
- suspension problems83NHTSA complaints: 449
- electrical problems35NHTSA complaints: 120
- seat belts / air bags problems28NHTSA complaints: 165
- brakes problems27NHTSA complaints: 130
- fuel system problems17NHTSA complaints: 65
- lights problems17NHTSA complaints: 14
- exterior accessories problems10NHTSA complaints: 81
- miscellaneous problems10NHTSA complaints: 35
- steering problems10NHTSA complaints: 143
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 7
- exhaust system problems5NHTSA complaints: 26
- clutch problems4NHTSA complaints: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.