- November 23: Ford Recalls 452,000 Cars To Fix Gas Tank Leaks
- November 21: Ford Recalls E-350 and E-450 For Trailer Brake Problems
- October 28: Ford Recalls 131,000 Vehicles, Mostly SUVs For Fire Risk
- October 20: Ford F-150 Electric Brake Vacuum Pump Investigation Upgraded
- October 3: Investigation Expanded Into Ford Explorer Police Interceptors
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems1468NHTSA complaints: 983
- body / paint problems724NHTSA complaints: 465
- interior accessories problems361NHTSA complaints: 53
- wheels / hubs problems291NHTSA complaints: 109
- drivetrain problems277NHTSA complaints: 553
- windows / windshield problems209NHTSA complaints: 97
- engine problems143NHTSA complaints: 310
- suspension problems89NHTSA complaints: 451
- AC / heater problems88NHTSA complaints: 11
- electrical problems41NHTSA complaints: 125
- seat belts / air bags problems29NHTSA complaints: 176
- brakes problems28NHTSA complaints: 134
- exterior accessories problems20NHTSA complaints: 83
- fuel system problems17NHTSA complaints: 69
- lights problems17NHTSA complaints: 14
- miscellaneous problems11NHTSA complaints: 42
- steering problems10NHTSA complaints: 149
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 7
- clutch problems5NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems5NHTSA complaints: 26
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.