CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.6

1. replaced brakes (560 reports)
  2. have 2008 Honda brake system recalled (275 reports)
  4. replaced brakes and rotors (36 reports)
  5. repaired under warranty - sort of.. (23 reports)
  6. replacing rear OEM pads with ceramic pads (22 reports)
2008 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 54)

Oct 102009

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6

Rear brake pads prematurely wore down at around 11k miles. Had to get them replaced.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 252009

Accord EX 4 cyl

After my Accord rear brake pads needed change at 19500 miles I started investigating and came across a video where it explain that the caliper pins in the rear brakes were installed incorrectly. That if there was premature wear it meant they needed to be switched. I spent about $10 in the grease and did the job myself, once done I haven't have to change the pad since then and the car has 80,000 miles now.

- , Fairfield, CT, USA

Nov 092013

Accord LX 2.4L

I have had to replace the front and rear pads along with the front left rotor and rear right rotor within the last 10 months. I am purchasing near top of the line pads but because of what I perceive as a structural problem of the Accord, I am replacing the pads as twice the rate of my wife's car even though we drive the same distances for work.

- , Laurel, MD, USA

May 102013

Accord LX V6

After putting 260,000 miles on a 2004 Civic with no problems I decided to stick with Honda and buy a used Accord. The second month I had it I had to replace the rear brakes. I have also had trouble with the spark plugs. So far I've had over $500 in repairs for a car that has less than 60,000 miles on it. I'm really disappointed.

- , Deer Lodge, MT, USA

Oct 022013

Accord LX

Had brakes replaced 30,000 miles ago, two years ago!

- , Highland, MI, USA

Sep 082013

Accord EX 4 cyl

WE HAD THE CAR SINCE NEW, I'M A SELF REPAIR/MAINTENCE MAN AND FIX EVERYTHING, BUT THIS IS BID MUCH. IN 5 YEARS I'VE REPLACED THE LEFT REAR BRAKE PAD 5 TIMES AND THE ROTOR TWICE.I HAVE YET TO REWORK ANY OF THE OTHER BRAKE PARTS IN 89K MILES.

- , Gloucester, MA, USA

Apr 102012

Accord EXL 3.2L

I have owned Honda/Acura products since 1986. Now I have to replace the rear pads, and rotors after only 26K miles on my 2008 Accord EXL.

- , Wildwood, MO, USA

Jun 082008

Accord LX 2.5L

we call honda about the brakes they said it was recall on them but we miss it.

- , Bonaire, GA, USA

Aug 102009

Accord EX-L Navi 4

Rear brakes wear out quick on this car. Obvious design flaw as the rear brakes are much to small. Pain but easy fix with new pads, did it myself and my neighbor got me the pads at cost

- , Acworth, Georgia, USA

Jul 072013

Accord EX 2.4L

I buy Honda because of quality, reliability and reputation. For some reason, the clowns in the engineering department at Honda decided to change the way the brakes work in the rear of the 2008 Accord. They were just fine before. Now they wear prematurely. They wear out before the front brake pads are half way worn through! THIS IS UNHEARD OF as the front brakes do roughly 70% of a car's braking. Not now! Thanks to the clowns in the engineering department with nothing better to do, the rear brakes wear out about 4 times as fast.

Nice FAILURE Honda on your Electronic Braking Distribution System (EBD)! a.k.a. now as Engineered Brakes by Dumbasses.

- , New Brighton, PA, USA

Jul 302013

Accord EX 4 cyl

This is the third set of brakes on my 2008 Accord! Ridiculous! I just replaced the brake pads and rotors at 45,000k miles (about 18 months ago) and now I need another set of brakes. I can't do this every year to year and a half. I love the car, but am seriously considering dumping it because of the constant problems with the brakes. If you bought your car used, like I did, you're pretty much screwed on getting any reimbursement from the class action law suit. There are no options except to sell the damn thing or fix it at your own expense every year or so. You would think that Honda would do something knowing that the problem is documented all over the web......tons of people having the same issue is NOT a coincidence! Wake up! It's a machine and although it typically has a great reputation for quality, when something goes wrong, step up to the plate and fix the damn issue! That's called customer service. I think the majority of people out there would be okay with it if Honda would just recall the car and fix the problem instead of looking the other way. That's what loses you repeat business! If I wanted a piece of crap, I'd have bought a Ford!

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Jan 012009

Accord LX 4

I've had my brakes worked on 3 times, front and back. The first time I took it in to Pat Peck Honda they had it in the back for about 30 minutes, gave me no paperwork, just said they adjusted them and I was good to go. The last time I took it in, a few months ago, the mgr said it is out of warranty and it would cost me $400 to fix them and stated that she had a car like that and got rid of it a long time ago! Gee, I wonder why!!! I told her I am a single grandmother and she said I am too. Well I don't give a flying fig! I am the customer, not you stupid. Honda Corporation should make this right. But they refuse to do the right thing. And, no, I do not ride my brakes. In fact this is the only vehicle I have ever had to have the brakes worked on. EVER. They should not be able to get away with this. There has to be more that they have done this to. I work full time and do not have time to deal with this kind of unnecessary crap. It seems noone can or will take responsibility for their actions. It's always someone else's fault. Shame on YOU honda corporation. Never Ever will I buy a Honda and will state my dealings with Honda corporation and dealerships everywhere I go.Before I left the dealership, the manager said, It's not your brakes making that noise. She is a very dishonest, sleazy person, no character. What goes around, you witch.

- , Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Jan 142009

Accord EXL 2.4L

replacing rear break pads every year....piston gets stuck on brake caliper causing uneven pad wear...since 2008 i have repaired 1-8 break jobs including front breaks...This is highly unacceptable and American Honda Corporation should reimburse myself and others for this cheap craftsmanship....this car has cost a small fortune in maintenace and now repairs ....Honda needs to be accountable and acknowledge these issues and do the right thing for their namesake.

- , Fall River, MA, USA

Oct 132012

Accord LX V6

I heard the dreaded metallic scraping noise from the rear of the car, indicating worn brake pads on 13 Oct 2012. I pulled the wheel and checked...the rear pads were worn out!! At 16700 miles!!! I ran down to O'Reilly's and bought a set of ceramic pads and installed them. I am a qualified, experienced mechanic, and I can tell you this is NOT normal. This is the second Accord I have owned, and the first one (2003) never had this problem. It is a snap to change the pads, remove two bolts, pull the pads install new ones, push the brake piston back in, and reassemble. It took me about half an hour to do both sides, but I have all the tools and knowledge to do this. That's not the point....I shouldn't have to do this on such a low mileage vehicle. We don't use it every day...probably a good thing!

I didn't contact Winter Honda, the selling dealer in Pittsburg, Ca. since it was a week-end, and it was easy for me to fix, but after reading other owner's comments, I am disappointed in Honda's handlng of customer's complaints. Come on Honda..Fess-up, and do right. Things like this will count when I make a decision on what my next car will be.

Mark S.

Oakley, Ca.

- , Oakley, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Accord EXL V6 3.5L

I'm a Honda owner since 1990 ,owned 6 Honda Cars and Van in family. never had to change rear brake till cars get to 80000 miles or more before. but this 2008 V6 EXL we hardly drive, only short trip twice a week , 20 mile or so and no stop light. but rear brakes fail this soon , and make horrible noise that scares me. took to Honda dealer in town ,they seem to know the problem right away , and charged me 169 + tax to replaced. very disappointed with this Accord . Just bought a new Honda CRV a month ago , hope this CRV don't have this type of problem.

- , Temecula, CA, USA

Jan 282013

Accord LX

I had my brakes fixed under the class action suit approx 2 years ago. This week they had to be replaced again!

- , Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Aug 312009

Accord EX 4 cyl

Very bad design of brake pad for the car. They need to be recalled and replaced with an entirely new and better brake system.

- , Murrieta, CA, USA

Apr 152013

Accord EX-L

When applying the brakes - there is a really bad vibration/pulsing in the steering wheel and brake pedal.

The car is a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L with 19,000 miles.

Dealer wants to replace rotors .......... car is out of warranty !!!!!

Looks like a known problem online for the 2008-2010 Honda Accord . Class action law suit was settled for millions of dollars. But the dealer said they were not aware of any problems or complaints for brakes ....

I am going to replace pads and rotors on front and back .... with top shelf parts not cheap ass Honda parts !!!!

- , Hatfield, PA, USA

Aug 152012

Accord V6

The brake rotors were warped twice. First time it happened when the car had 30K miles. At that time, Honda machine the surface of rotors to make it flat, which is not a solution. Honda paid for me to fix ONLY front brake rotors. I had to pay for back rotors. Then after 10k miles, brake rotors were warped again. So, I had to replace rotors and pads for all of them. Now the car has 50k miles or so but no problem with brake rotors.

I will not buy honda again!

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Jan 162009

Accord EX-L V6

rear brakes wore out a total of 3 times while I owned the car. each time was a trip to autozone to buy a new set. Luckily autozone warrantied there brakes even though it was honda's fault for premature wear on the rears

- , Siloam Springs, AR, USA