CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.6

1. replaced brakes (560 reports)
  2. have 2008 Honda brake system recalled (275 reports)
  4. replaced brakes and rotors (39 reports)
  5. repaired under warranty - sort of.. (25 reports)
  6. replacing rear OEM pads with ceramic pads (22 reports)
2008 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 54)

Feb 022014

Accord

This is the 3rd time I have replaced the rear brakes, pads on a car that was purchased new in November 2007. The car at this point had 102,000 km/63,000 miles on it.

The previous repairs were done at roughly 25,000 and 53,000 km.

This repair was by far the worst and, unlike the first 2 repairs, this time Honda would have nothing to do with it. My callipers had seized placing the brakes in a partially engaged position. Not only did I have to replace the pads and rotors but I had to replace both callipers as well. A very expensive repair.

- , Vancouver, B.C, Canada

Jan 142011

Accord

This represents the second time the rear brakes failed since the car was purchased in November 2007. rear brakes replaced twice in 3 years on a new car with a total of 53,000 km/ 33,000 miles.

When they first went at 25,000 km I had to fight tooth and nail to get it fixed under warranty. By the time this repair occurred there was a secret recall, although according to the notice from Honda Canada it had come to their attention that "certain driving habits or conditions in Canada may cause premature brake pad wear."

- , Vancouver, B.C, Canada

Aug 132014

Accord EX V4

This is second time I have to replace the rear brake pad. The first replacement happened at 2010 when mile age was only 25000 miles. The cost has been covered by Honda. After 50000 miles, I can hear the noise from rear brake again and dealer said I have to replace the pads. I have asked the service guy if it is something related with the brake position which causes rear brake pad wear off faster than front pad. He said it is possible.

I have not heard anyone around me needs to replace the rear pad twice within 75000miles. I was wondering if this is a defect and Honda needs to fix this.

- , Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jun 012012

Accord LX V6

I can't believe I needed to change the brakes and rotors already. I wouldn't have needed to replace the rotors if the damned brakes had held up. Its so expensive to replace these things. Just because the company is too cheap to install decent brakes... This is absurd!

- , Cranbury, NJ, USA

Nov 132008

Accord EX-L 4

This is my last Honda, had 3 previous cars. Seats failed (vinyl on a leather seat) at about the same time as the brakes.

- , Meriden, CT, USA

Apr 012014

Accord EX-L

Despite the class action lawsuit, Honda still refuses to fix the problem with the premature wearing out of the rear brake pads. This forces owners into replacing their rear brakes very often. With such little forewarning, I have had to replace the rear rotors as well. This means that despite only having my car for 91,000 miles, I will have replaced the rear brakes thrice and the rear rotors twice. Clearly, Honda places corporate greed above the safety of their customers. This is a documented issue that they refuse to rectify. They should be utterly ashamed of themselves!!!

Update from Apr 22, 2014: I just called Honda's corporate office. They stated that the class action lawsuit was settled, the brakes are now a matter of legal record and they therefore cannot touch offering customers any further assistance with the brakes. They will not acknowledge that there is an issue with the rear brakes. They only state that my car's warranty has expired, brakes & rotors are wear & tear items and they have gone above & beyond the class action lawsuit to satisfy their customers. So, I now have to pay $500 to have my rear brakes and rotors replaced AGAIN!!! The dealership did give me a $30 coupon so I guess that I should be somewhat grateful. I cannot wait until I can afford to get rid of this car. I will never EVER purchase another Honda vehicle again!!!

- , Boston, MA, USA

Jan 172014

Accord LX 4 cyl

I have a 2008 Accord and the rear brakes are needing to be replaced again, with only 17,000 miles on the second set. I had left a message for the service manager to call me, which he has not done. I am a certified brake,engine and transmission mechanic and I can tell you that the real problems lies in the Brake Distribution Valve, It's located at the right front of engine compartment. It is allowing too much pressure to be put on the rear brake first before the front pads are applied and also not releasing as soon as the front. In the newer 2010 models they replaced that very valve. I am going to go back to the dealer and insist that they replace it along with the new Ceramic Pads.

- , Palm Coast, FL, USA

Aug 132013

Accord LX 4 cyl

They told me it was the rear springs were not strong enough to reset the rear brake pads to their set position. I told them I was a brake mechanic and did not believe it.

- , Palm Coast, FL, USA

Oct 102009

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6

Rear brake pads prematurely wore down at around 11k miles. Had to get them replaced.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 252009

Accord EX 4 cyl

After my Accord rear brake pads needed change at 19500 miles I started investigating and came across a video where it explain that the caliper pins in the rear brakes were installed incorrectly. That if there was premature wear it meant they needed to be switched. I spent about $10 in the grease and did the job myself, once done I haven't have to change the pad since then and the car has 80,000 miles now.

- , Fairfield, CT, USA

Nov 092013

Accord LX 2.4L

I have had to replace the front and rear pads along with the front left rotor and rear right rotor within the last 10 months. I am purchasing near top of the line pads but because of what I perceive as a structural problem of the Accord, I am replacing the pads as twice the rate of my wife's car even though we drive the same distances for work.

- , Laurel, MD, USA

May 102013

Accord LX V6

After putting 260,000 miles on a 2004 Civic with no problems I decided to stick with Honda and buy a used Accord. The second month I had it I had to replace the rear brakes. I have also had trouble with the spark plugs. So far I've had over $500 in repairs for a car that has less than 60,000 miles on it. I'm really disappointed.

- , Deer Lodge, MT, USA

Oct 022013

Accord LX

Had brakes replaced 30,000 miles ago, two years ago!

- , Highland, MI, USA

Sep 082013

Accord EX 4 cyl

WE HAD THE CAR SINCE NEW, I'M A SELF REPAIR/MAINTENCE MAN AND FIX EVERYTHING, BUT THIS IS BID MUCH. IN 5 YEARS I'VE REPLACED THE LEFT REAR BRAKE PAD 5 TIMES AND THE ROTOR TWICE.I HAVE YET TO REWORK ANY OF THE OTHER BRAKE PARTS IN 89K MILES.

- , Gloucester, MA, USA

Apr 102012

Accord EXL 3.2L

I have owned Honda/Acura products since 1986. Now I have to replace the rear pads, and rotors after only 26K miles on my 2008 Accord EXL.

- , Wildwood, MO, USA

Jun 082008

Accord LX 2.5L

we call honda about the brakes they said it was recall on them but we miss it.

- , Bonaire, GA, USA

Aug 102009

Accord EX-L Navi 4

Rear brakes wear out quick on this car. Obvious design flaw as the rear brakes are much to small. Pain but easy fix with new pads, did it myself and my neighbor got me the pads at cost

- , Acworth, GA, USA

Jul 072013

Accord EX 2.4L

I buy Honda because of quality, reliability and reputation. For some reason, the clowns in the engineering department at Honda decided to change the way the brakes work in the rear of the 2008 Accord. They were just fine before. Now they wear prematurely. They wear out before the front brake pads are half way worn through! THIS IS UNHEARD OF as the front brakes do roughly 70% of a car's braking. Not now! Thanks to the clowns in the engineering department with nothing better to do, the rear brakes wear out about 4 times as fast.

Nice FAILURE Honda on your Electronic Braking Distribution System (EBD)! a.k.a. now as Engineered Brakes by Dumbasses.

- , New Brighton, PA, USA

Jul 302013

Accord EX 4 cyl

This is the third set of brakes on my 2008 Accord! Ridiculous! I just replaced the brake pads and rotors at 45,000k miles (about 18 months ago) and now I need another set of brakes. I can't do this every year to year and a half. I love the car, but am seriously considering dumping it because of the constant problems with the brakes. If you bought your car used, like I did, you're pretty much screwed on getting any reimbursement from the class action law suit. There are no options except to sell the damn thing or fix it at your own expense every year or so. You would think that Honda would do something knowing that the problem is documented all over the web......tons of people having the same issue is NOT a coincidence! Wake up! It's a machine and although it typically has a great reputation for quality, when something goes wrong, step up to the plate and fix the damn issue! That's called customer service. I think the majority of people out there would be okay with it if Honda would just recall the car and fix the problem instead of looking the other way. That's what loses you repeat business! If I wanted a piece of crap, I'd have bought a Ford!

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Jan 012009

Accord LX 4

I've had my brakes worked on 3 times, front and back. The first time I took it in to Pat Peck Honda they had it in the back for about 30 minutes, gave me no paperwork, just said they adjusted them and I was good to go. The last time I took it in, a few months ago, the mgr said it is out of warranty and it would cost me $400 to fix them and stated that she had a car like that and got rid of it a long time ago! Gee, I wonder why!!! I told her I am a single grandmother and she said I am too. Well I don't give a flying fig! I am the customer, not you stupid. Honda Corporation should make this right. But they refuse to do the right thing. And, no, I do not ride my brakes. In fact this is the only vehicle I have ever had to have the brakes worked on. EVER. They should not be able to get away with this. There has to be more that they have done this to. I work full time and do not have time to deal with this kind of unnecessary crap. It seems noone can or will take responsibility for their actions. It's always someone else's fault. Shame on YOU honda corporation. Never Ever will I buy a Honda and will state my dealings with Honda corporation and dealerships everywhere I go.Before I left the dealership, the manager said, It's not your brakes making that noise. She is a very dishonest, sleazy person, no character. What goes around, you witch.

- , Ocean Springs, MS, USA