CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

1. replaced brakes (566 reports)
  2. have 2008 Honda brake system recalled (277 reports)
  4. replaced brakes and rotors (44 reports)
  5. repaired under warranty - sort of.. (25 reports)
  6. replacing rear OEM pads with ceramic pads (23 reports)
2008 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 55)

Mar 232011

Accord EX 2.4L I4

Rear brake pads wear prematurely - about 30k between changes. Front pads last twice as long. Without close monitoring, rotors will be damaged as well. Very annoying.

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 212010

Accord EX-L 2.4L

Honda did reimburse us $120 for the brakes but still very unacceptable for a company of their caliber.

- , Plano, TX, USA

Average 4,500 miles per year

- , Allison Park, PA, USA

Apr 092009

Accord V6

I had to replace the brakes at 60k miles twice and there was a recall and I never got reimbursed.

- , Salem, VA, USA

Apr 142015

Accord LX 2.4L

I bought a Honda because I thought they were reliable. So through two deployments to Iraq I saved enough money to buy one. Only to find out all that money I had saved up getting shot at being separated from my loved ones was a wasted on a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe that takes more oil than gas. Not only that, I go through rear brake pads about every six months if I am lucky.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 012015

I had all new front + rear pads and rotors replaced in July 2013. In Dec of 2013, I had to have the rear pads replaced and rear rotors resurfaced. In Feb 2015, I had the front pads replaced and front rotors resurfaced. In June of 2015, I had the rear pads and rotors replaced AGAIN. I've had about $1,800 in brake work done in the last 2 years.

- , Westminster, USA

Aug 152009

Accord EX 3.2L

Nothing but problems with the brakes on this car: 6/7/2008 both rear rotors replaced - manufacturer defect - no cost to us 8/23/2008 both front rotors replaced - manufacturer defect - no cost to us 8/10/2009 brake pads on rear tires - $105.44 12/5/2011 rear brakes changed by Brian - $45.00 6/2/2014 rear brakes changed by Brian - $37.09 6/2/2015 front rotors - $66.76

Continuing to have front brake problems. Need to replace the calipers. This is crazy!

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jun 012015

Accord LX 3.2L

This is the 5th time in 6 years that I had to fix the brakes. Really costly.

- , Johnstown, PA, USA

Aug 162014

Accord LX 2.4L 177 Hp I4

This is my wife's car. We use it only to go back and forth to work and shopping. Then, noise came out of the brakes every time we applied them. We went to the Honda dealership. They said the brakes and rotors were in despair, and they had to be replaced pronto. The rear rotors had several cracks in them, and the rear brakes had only 15% life left! The front brakes were fine, though. It cost over $350 to fix! After we fixed them, me and my wife decided to sell this car for a more reliable car. So, we traded it in for a 2014 Altima!

HONDA! You should recall your braking systems! And, as a matter of fact, your faulty transmissions in your 2000 - 2004 Accords! I am outraged! I thought Honda made good quality, not cupcake quality!

- , West Berlin, NJ, NJ, USA

Mar 052015

Accord LX

Took the car to the shop due to noise upon applying the brakes. The rear pads AND rotors had to be replaced. The front brakes still had 80% life remaining. After research found that there was a class-action lawsuit for this issue but the claim has to be filed within 3 years of purchasing the vehicle (and you still only get a portion of the repair cost). This is the second issue with my vehicle where a class action lawsuit was filed instead of a recall. After the first issue I had to file for reimbursement after the repairs were made and only received a percentage of the total repair cost. It seems Honda is very good at dodging recalls by 'someone' filing these class action lawsuits instead.

- , Vancouver, WA, USA

Feb 172015

Accord LX 2.4L

Huge problem, sometimes the rotors would get warped as well as the brakes, which had significant cracks. This needs to be resolved quickly without the idea that buying a new car is the only real solution to the problem.

- , Round Lake, IL, USA

Feb 012009

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6

Wish I had never traded my 2005 Accord Coupe in for the 2008. So.many.problems.

- , Cary, NC, USA

May 282014

Accord LX V6

May 2014 was the third fix for the brakes. It included replacing rear caliper assembly and resurfacing front rotors. During a routine oil change in Dec 2014 it was discovered that I need new pads for all brakes and new brake rotors. They were first repaired in 2010. Then, again in 2012.

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Nov 122012

Accord EX V4

Annoying to Fix the Brake pads every 2 years.

When I mentioned this to the Honda Dealer, they are not giving me this reason. It is more and more frustrating to deal with Honda because of this Brake Pad Issue

- , Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Nov 032014

Accord LX-P 4 cyl

Very frequent brake jobs: both rotor and pad replacements.

- , Eatontown, NJ, USA

Aug 022014

Accord EX 3.2L

I have had the brakes fixed too many times to count and It's not my driving. I've spoken to other 2008 Honda owners who have had the same experience. There should be a recall on the whole brake system.

- , Clinton, MD, USA

Oct 222008

Accord EX 3.2L

Rear brakes went out during warranty and after warranty. Honda refused to address the matter after the 3rd brake and rotor job. I traded it in for a 4 runner so I don't have the vin anymore. Also the a/c went out during warranty and after, Honda of midland refused to address this issue as well after the 2nd repair........also, the drivers side visor would not stay up. No more Hondas for me

- , Midland, TX, USA

Mar 032008

Accord EX 4 cyl

Honda designed the rear brakes poorly. I will not buy another 1 year design of any car. Allow tha bugs to be worked out before you buy a new car.

- , Murrieta, CA, USA

Sep 272014

Accord LX 2.4L

I changed the brake pads about 6 months ago and now these are worn out. I can also smell metal burning when I apply the brakes.

- , Lexington, NC, USA

Feb 022014

This is the 3rd time I have replaced the rear brakes, pads on a car that was purchased new in November 2007. The car at this point had 102,000 km/63,000 miles on it.

The previous repairs were done at roughly 25,000 and 53,000 km.

This repair was by far the worst and, unlike the first 2 repairs, this time Honda would have nothing to do with it. My callipers had seized placing the brakes in a partially engaged position. Not only did I have to replace the pads and rotors but I had to replace both callipers as well. A very expensive repair.

- , Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada