- June 19: Death of Jewel Brangman Caused by Takata Airbag
- June 12: Honda Civic Owner Kylan Langlinais Killed By Airbag
- June 8: Why Do Owners of Older Cars Ignore Recalls Half the Time?
- June 8: Lawsuit: Takata Airbag Killed Law Suk Leh and Unborn Daughter
- June 1: 2015 Honda CR-V Vibration Lawsuit Filed
1999 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.
Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Worst 1999 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems115NHTSA complaints: 195
- engine problems111NHTSA complaints: 135
- body / paint problems48NHTSA complaints: 14
- electrical problems20NHTSA complaints: 213
- interior accessories problems18NHTSA complaints: 42
- AC / heater problems6NHTSA complaints: 1
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 63
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 15
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 11
- wheels / hubs problems3NHTSA complaints: 17
- brakes problems2NHTSA complaints: 48
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 29
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 10
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 17
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 10
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 11
- windows / windshield problems1NHTSA complaints: 14
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 22
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 1999 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.