- February 15: J.D. Power Study: Vehicle Problems on the Rise
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 4: Don't Slam the Door on the Honda Accord
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 3: The Worst Cars and Car Problems of 2013
- December 23: The Safest Cars to Drive in 2014
1999 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.
Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Worst 1999 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- transmission problems113NHTSA complaints: 206
- engine problems74NHTSA complaints: 172
- electrical problems56NHTSA complaints: 338
- body / paint problems41NHTSA complaints: 29
- interior accessories problems7NHTSA complaints: 49
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 70
- AC / heater problems3NHTSA complaints: 1
- cooling system problems3NHTSA complaints: 1
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 17
- brakes problems2NHTSA complaints: 54
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 30
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 18
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 12
- wheels / hubs problems2NHTSA complaints: 17
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 18
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 26
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 18
- windows / windshield problems1NHTSA complaints: 14
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 24
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 1999 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.