- October 24: Takata Exploding Air Bags Allegedly Linked to 4 Deaths
- October 24: Takata Air Bag Lawsuit On The Way Over Exploding Inflators
- September 27: Honda Agrees to Settle CR-V Door Lock Actuator Lawsuit
- September 21: Honda Fit Recalled After Wrong A-Pillar Cover Was Installed
- August 22: Honda Upgrades 2015 Honda Fit Front Bumpers To Pass Crash Test
1999 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.
Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Worst 1999 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems111NHTSA complaints: 206
- engine problems109NHTSA complaints: 175
- body / paint problems44NHTSA complaints: 34
- electrical problems19NHTSA complaints: 345
- interior accessories problems18NHTSA complaints: 49
- AC / heater problems5NHTSA complaints: 1
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 70
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 18
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 19
- wheels / hubs problems3NHTSA complaints: 17
- brakes problems2NHTSA complaints: 54
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 30
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 12
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 18
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 28
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 18
- windows / windshield problems1NHTSA complaints: 14
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 24
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 1999 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.