- November 4: Study: Pickup Truck Headlights Leave Drivers in the Dark news | 28 days ago
- November 2: Automakers Must Pay For Airbag Repairs if Takata Goes Bankrupt news | 30 days ago
- October 21: Honda Civic Driver Killed by Exploding Takata Airbag news | 42 days ago
- October 13: Honda Recalls 350,000 Civics to Fix Parking Brakes recalls | 50 days ago
- October 3: Honda 'Disappointed and Troubled' by Takata's Behavior news | 60 days ago
2004 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
Worst 2004 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems294NHTSA complaints: 157
- interior accessories problems94NHTSA complaints: 42
- body / paint problems83NHTSA complaints: 32
- engine problems35NHTSA complaints: 97
- windows / windshield problems19NHTSA complaints: 29
- AC / heater problems17NHTSA complaints: 1
- brakes problems17NHTSA complaints: 70
- electrical problems11NHTSA complaints: 128
- seat belts / air bags problems7NHTSA complaints: 214
- steering problems6NHTSA complaints: 55
- lights problems3NHTSA complaints: 34
- clutch problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 16
- wheels / hubs problems2NHTSA complaints: 19
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 157
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 10
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 22
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 18
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.