- February 15: J.D. Power Study: Vehicle Problems on the Rise
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 4: Don't Slam the Door on the Honda Accord
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 3: The Worst Cars and Car Problems of 2013
- December 23: The Safest Cars to Drive in 2014
2004 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
Worst 2004 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- transmission problems237NHTSA complaints: 156
- interior accessories problems87NHTSA complaints: 32
- body / paint problems34NHTSA complaints: 13
- engine problems27NHTSA complaints: 74
- brakes problems16NHTSA complaints: 61
- windows / windshield problems14NHTSA complaints: 29
- AC / heater problems12NHTSA complaints: 1
- electrical problems10NHTSA complaints: 102
- seat belts / air bags problems5NHTSA complaints: 121
- steering problems5NHTSA complaints: 39
- exterior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 20
- miscellaneous problems3NHTSA complaints: 13
- clutch problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 2
- drivetrain problems2NHTSA complaints: 96
- wheels / hubs problems2NHTSA complaints: 19
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 27
- suspension problemsNHTSA: 14
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 2
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.