- August 22: Honda Upgrades 2015 Honda Fit Front Bumpers To Pass Crash Test
- August 3: Honda Accord Air Bags Inflate When People Close the Doors
- July 9: Acura Recalls Cars With Fiery Halogen Headlights
- June 23: Honda Recalls 2 Million Cars With Defective Air Bags
- June 11: Over 1 Million Cars Might Have Explosive Takata Air Bag Inflators
1998 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
Worst 1998 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems180NHTSA complaints: 239
- body / paint problems134NHTSA complaints: 44
- engine problems42NHTSA complaints: 161
- electrical problems15NHTSA complaints: 265
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 84
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 48
- wheels / hubs problems4NHTSA complaints: 28
- interior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 63
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 77
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 21
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 8
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 44
- AC / heater problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 52
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 39
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 20
- windows / windshield problems1NHTSA complaints: 15
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 25
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 12
- lights problemsNHTSA: 7
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 1998 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.