- May 17: Heavy, Pricey Vehicles Really Are Safer To Occupants
- May 15: Honda CR-V Door Lock Lawsuit Finally Approved
- April 10: Exploding Takata Airbags Inflict Injuries to Honda Drivers
- March 18: Honda Recalls Accord, Civic and Pilot To Replace Takata Airbag Inflators
- March 9: Honda Recalls Accord and CR-V to Replace Engine Short Blocks
1998 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
Worst 1998 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems177NHTSA complaints: 231
- body / paint problems140NHTSA complaints: 27
- engine problems49NHTSA complaints: 142
- interior accessories problems17NHTSA complaints: 61
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 83
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 34
- wheels / hubs problems4NHTSA complaints: 26
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 66
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 18
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 7
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 42
- AC / heater problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 17
- windows / windshield problems1NHTSA complaints: 15
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 195
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 50
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 35
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 16
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 12
- lights problemsNHTSA: 7
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 1998 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.