- June 10: U.S. Virgin Islands Sues Honda and Takata news | 14 days ago
- May 13: Hawaii Sues Honda and Takata Over Explosive Airbags news | 42 days ago
- May 8: Honda To Recall 21 Million Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 47 days ago
- May 5: Two More Malaysian Deaths Possibly Caused by Takata Airbags news | 50 days ago
- April 13: Patricia Mincey: Possibly the 11th U.S. Takata Airbag Death news | 72 days ago
1998 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
Worst 1998 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems181NHTSA complaints: 239
- body / paint problems145NHTSA complaints: 63
- engine problems49NHTSA complaints: 169
- interior accessories problems17NHTSA complaints: 63
- fuel system problems4NHTSA complaints: 80
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 86
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 60
- wheels / hubs problems4NHTSA complaints: 30
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 21
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 8
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 44
- AC / heater problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- electrical problems1NHTSA complaints: 289
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 28
- windows / windshield problems1NHTSA complaints: 15
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 54
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 43
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 27
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 12
- lights problemsNHTSA: 7
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 1998 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.