CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

8.2

$2,799.00

1. repaint entire car (62 reports)
  3. Honda should fix/repaint or reimburse owners for lost value (12 reports)
  4. to keep me as a honda owner i want re-embursement (5 reports)
  5. Honda paid to repaint the entire car (4 reports)
  6. repaint only roof and hood (2 reports)
1998 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Honda Accord:

1998 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jan 012006

Accord EX V6

click to see larger images

This paint thing is not exclusive to this car. I had a 1994 black Accord with the same issue. Are the cars supposed to just stay out of the sun? I see other cars of that vintage that don't have this issue--plus, I live in western New York, what sun?

It's ridiculous if this isn't considered a manufacturing defect.

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 012013

Accord

WELL, ITS REALLY ANNOYING THAT THE PAINT IS COMING OFF. IT LOOKS REALLY AWFUL. YOU CAN SEE BIG SPOTS WHERE THE CAR HAS NO MORE PAINT . MY HOOD HAS A BIG HOLE THAT DOESN'T HAVE PAINT. IT USED TO BE WITH PAINT THERE BUT IT KEEPS FALLING APART .. SOON THE CAR IS NOT GONNA HAVE ANY PAINT LEFT.. I CANT BELIEVE HONDA WOULD USE CHEAP PAINT TO PAINT A CAR.. IF THEIRE NOT GIVING AWAY A CAR FOR FREE, THEIR SELLING IT................ REALLY UPSET MY CARS PAINT IS HORRIBLE ..HAVE YOU EVER SEE A SNAIL IN WATER ? WELL THAT'S WHATS HAPPENING TO THIS CAR IS AXIDED..OXIDADO......... QUE ASCO DE PINTURA QUE SOLO SE ESTA CALLENDO .. Y MI POBRE CARRO SE VE COMO SI SE ESTUVIERA PUDRIENDO...

- , Hacienda Hights, CA, USA

Nov 012007

Accord LX

Car runs well looks like hell. Looks like someone poured white acid on the roof, hood, and below the windows on the doors. I had a bra on the front and that paint looks original. I should have put one on the whole car. Who would have thought it would looks like that. We had other Honda's and none look this crappy and I have a 1993 Civic White in color and the paint is still good. So I guess if you get one get a white one. I could not believe it will cost me $1600.00 to get it painted.

- , Jersey Shore, PA, USA

Jul 012008

Accord

This issue with peeling clear coat was a major surprise given that the car in question is a Honda Accord! Did not know what it was for the longest time and could not understand what exactly was going on. The car color is dark green and as a matter of fact, it has been really well-maintained. In fact, my other car is a Toyota Camry SE - 1993 that has been maintained in a similar fashion and except for a few dents and scratches still looks fabulous.

This issue with the clear coat peeling, as some of the blogs go, cannot be attributed to poor waxing jobs, excessive washing, or sun damage. In my opinion, Honda needs to own up to this and fix the problem. As a professional person, it is embarrassing to drive this car.

Guess, this can be one reason why the winter weather and snowfall is a good thing!!!! In conclusion, I have owned many cars and many makes and have always taken particular care to maintain them - have never been exposed to this type of issue that makes your car look like crap.

Hope you can get HONDA to own up to this and fix the problem.

- , Mystic, Connecticut, USA

Aug 182010

Accord LX I4

click to see larger images

This paint job on this car was beautiful when I purchased it, then after several hand washes in the driveway, I noticed a small white patch on the trunk, which was nothing at the time, two years later and never taking it through a car wash, the paint is gone to the core now, and is spreading fast, from the trunk, to the roof, and down the doors.

- , Vacaville, CA, USA

May 182013

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl

click to see larger images

clear coat is peeling from hood, roof, and/or trunk clear coat is peeling from hood, roof, and/or trunk clear coat is peeling from hood, roof, and/or trunk clear coat is peeling from hood, roof, and/or trunk clear coat is peeling from hood, roof, and/or trunk clear coat is peeling from hood, roof, and/or trunk

This is the first time I have bought a Honda, I have a 1997 Toyota Camry LE, with 117,000 miles and the paint it's in excellent condition. I have been a Toyota person since 1966, until I took a chance and bought the 1998 Honda Accord

This is a 1998 Honda Accord LX with 160,678 miles and the paint and clear coat are deplorable (peeling off), this discourages anyone from buying Honda's in the future and for sure. I would not feel good to recommend anyone or friends on buying Honda's, because we don't know what to expect from them.

Honda, knew that here was a problem on their paint/clear coat and have not come forward to correct it.

My car would need to be paint totally.

- , Spring, TX, USA

May 012012

Accord EX 4 cyl

I have a Honda Accord EX that I bought brand new. This is the second Accord that I bought brand new. It had the clearcoat and rust-proofing done by the manufacturer. I had been thinking about handing this one down to my daughter and purchasing a new one, but the car looks AWFUL! In the past year the clearcoat has been peeling off and it looks like it's been subjected to 20 years in the Sahara Desert. Our previous Honda Accord NEVER had this problem and it had more mileage and was older than this one. I've looked around and noticed the same year body style and it looks like this problem is pretty widespread. Since I had re-located from St Louis up to Indiana a few years ago, it is definitely a manufacturer problem as my car was purchased from a different dealership several hundred miles away. This is a black-eye for Honda. Hondas have always been reliable cars, but they're slipping. I feel that Honda should stand behind their products and if their short-cuts come back to haunt them, then make it right in order to retain a loyal customer. As of right now, my daughter is disappointed to be given this car for her first car as it looks like it's a beater when it's a very reliable car otherwise. Resale is even worthless when a buyer drives up and is immediately turned off by the outside aesthetics and most likely won't get past the paint defects to hear about the new clutch, brakes, ball joints, timing belt, etc that would otherwise make this car well-maintained.

- , Fishers, IN, USA

May 022011

Accord EX Beige 4 Cyl Vtech

I take care of my vehicles, all 5 used to get compliments on the hondas appearance. People thought I had it repainted but I just keep my vehicles clean inside and out. Now that the clear coat is peeling from the car like a cancer has attacked it nobody even gives it a second look. It is definitely a honda issue with the clear coat application or product. I see so many 1998 green honda accords with the same problem. If it was acid rain it would affect all my cars since none are garaged, but only the accord has the cancerous clear coat. Honda needs to step up and correct the problem instead of ducking the real issue. Its a shame to have a car that runs so good but looks so bad.

- , Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jan 012011

Accord EX 2.4L V4

The paint looked good on the car when I bought it used in 2010(it is a 1998 so I expected some blemishes) but after having the car for about a year I started to notice the clear coat peeling on the hood first,then the roof and trunk.I also own a 1999 Mazda 626 and the paint is holding up much better than the paint on my Honda. I went with the Honda because of the reputation of reliability but after replacing a heater temp nob, heater fan and the paint issue(none of which have had to be replaced in the Mazda) I am beginning to rethink my opinion of Honda.

- , Hanson, MA, USA

Jan 012008

Accord

The paint job on this car stinks. I've owned 4 Hondas and have never seen the likes of this. Although it has been a huge problem over the past few years, it started with small spots sometime in 2006. It's bad enough that I have made my mind up that I am finished with Honda. The car runs great but is a total embarrassment to drive. I am in the market for a new car now and will consider a Hundai or Kia.

- , St Augustine, FL, USA

May 062012

Accord EX 3.2L

I love my Honda and I expect Honda to assist with the repainting of my car!

- , Milledgeville, GA, USA

Aug 302010

Accord

The date I listed was the date I took it to a body shop for repair. The roof, trunk, L panel R & L lens & housing, Rear bumper were repainted/repaired. It started before that particular date. It began with white spots that started peeling and it spread like wildfire. Could not afford a new car and since the mileage was low and I need a car I decided to have it repaired. It runs good, but looked TERRIBLE!! The money I spent was an EXTREME burden on me. I am on a fixed low income. I read here that in '98 they changed the painting process.

NOW LESS THAN A YEAR LATER: There are white spots showing through where it was not painted, R front and rear panel!!!!! Honda should, AT THE VERY LEAST reimburse for what I spent and fix the current problem at no charge. When I mentioned it to Honda they just said they didn't do that type of work. At the time I was not aware (but they probably were) that this is a widespread known problem!! My brother has a '99 Ford, not garage kept and has NO paint problems. He is also on his 4th Honda but was lucky enough to trade them in before there were any problems as I see it is not Just the 1998. So Honda made money on the trade ins and the customer got stuck with the problem. That is total misrepresentation. They should be sued!!! My brother has a '99 Ford, not garage kept and has NO painting issues. He and myself always recommended Honda as we both have many contacts. If I get no results through my complaints with various places me and the MANY people I've told about this will also no longer be Honda Customer's. Was it the paint guarantee on the paint? Need to check that. Anyway, HONDA SHOULD BE SUED! I have notified TV stations, etc., etc., etc. I've already had people thank me for telling them about this saying they won't buy a Honda!!

- , Roselle, IL, USA

Jan 012003

Accord LX

My car looks super ghetto. I'm torn between buying a new car (NOT A HONDA!!) and getting mine painted. It currently has 187000 miles and runs pretty well. Ive had to replace the transmission but the worst thing is the paint. I get funny looks from passers-by, I am embarrassed to park my car in the parking lot at work because of it. Is there something LEGALLY that can be done like the gal who sued Honda in small claims court because her hybrid didn't get the mileage that they had advertised it would get? I would love for Honda to own up and just do a darn recall. I'm sorely disappointed in them and they have lost all credibility in my eyes. I didn't do anything about because I had hoped that they would get on the ball but evidently they just SUCK! My car is a rolling NEGATIVE advertisement for Honda.

- , Torrance, CA, USA

Sep 192003

Accord EX

The clear coat started to bubble on the roof above the driver side. It continued to bubble, crack, and peel on the roof and hood. It looked horrible!

- , Summerville, SC, USA

Oct 172010

Accord LX 4 cyl

I used to wax my car twice a year until this problem with the paint surfaced. I thought I could rub out the area on the roof that was the first to appear but that was a wasted effort. Then over time it started to spread to the hood and trunk. Now it is a full blown epidemic. I have never approached the dealer where the car was purchased because he is out of state and I don't think I could maintain my cool if he started throwing out the company line about it being my fault or I drove the car in extreme conditions, etc. Honda Corporation is really dropping the ball on this one.

I will never buy another vehicle that is in any way associated with Honda. I'm sure their policy is to deny there is any problem at all. They figure this will go away in time but they are sadly mistaken. Once their brand is associated with all these paint issues from all over the country they will take a hit and I hope it is a sizeable one. None of the state agencies will take a look at this because it's not a safety issue. One can only hope to jump on board a class action lawsuit that mite appear in the near future. That way everyone that has been cheated can have their day in court.

- , Roseville, CA, USA

Jul 172011

Accord EX 2.3L

I have a 98 Honda Accord EX 4 door champagne silver and my roof and hood look really ugly they are peeling and look real dry.. I have not contacted Honda yet about this problem but I sure hope they will do something about it. My car runs great has had lots of maint. done but it looks so bad I don't like to show it off to say the least..I have seen lots of 98's like this so it must be a known issue.Love Honda's always purchase them as well as my family and they are normaly awesome with there service so will see!!

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jul 242006

Accord EX V6

Looking into painting my '98 Accord when i came across this site, and many others with owners complaining of this problem. Didn't know it was so widespread and that the fading paint and clear coat is a HONDA PROBLEM. Car has been great, but knowing now that Honda is not doing anything about it will prevent me from buying another Honda! Paint and clear coat peeling from hood, roof and trunk.

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

Apr 012010

Accord LX V4

I have had several hondas and would continue to keep buying them since they are a great car; however, with the paint problem, my car looks like I am either cheap or bankrupt and can't drive a decent looking car. I am very disappointed in this paint job and with fairly low mileage for a Honda, will have to drive it a few more years. I am very embarrassed for anyone to see my car. I am definitely disappointed and think Honda should repaint and take care of the problem. I could be a PROUD Honda owner again and feel like I am driving a nice car. Until the paint is taken care of I will feel sad and bad about my car. The hood, roof and trunk are all a terrible looking mess!

- , Dayton, OH, USA

Sep 102010

Accord LX 4 cyl

please can honda do something about it? i cant be paying for something which is not my fault.

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jan 012006

Accord LX

Clear coat began peeling years ago. At first it appears as small problem...now has infiltrated the entire car. Car looks like crap. Of course I have noticed how many other dark accords have same problem. Have two friends with same car...dark color...same problem. Obviously, Honda is at fault here. It is not bird poop, or acid rain --but simply a cheap clear coat during manufacture. Honda should sent out a recall and get this fixed.

- , Santa Cruz, CA, USA