- June 18: Takata and Honda Get Some Airbag Claims Dismissed news | 4 days ago
- June 2: Takata Says It Didn't Make Airbag Named in Lawsuit news | 20 days ago
- May 30: Honda Starter Problems Cause Class-Action Lawsuit news | 23 days ago
- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 25 days ago
- May 18: Honda Recalls CR-V Engines With the Wrong Pistons recalls | 35 days ago
2003 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially was replacing the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
Worst 2003 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems962NHTSA complaints: 588
- interior accessories problems239NHTSA complaints: 91
- body / paint problems112NHTSA complaints: 67
- engine problems102NHTSA complaints: 174
- AC / heater problems63NHTSA complaints: 12
- brakes problems55NHTSA complaints: 195
- electrical problems36NHTSA complaints: 124
- windows / windshield problems27NHTSA complaints: 49
- steering problems23NHTSA complaints: 73
- lights problems10NHTSA complaints: 30
- seat belts / air bags problems9NHTSA complaints: 251
- suspension problems7NHTSA complaints: 31
- exterior accessories problems6NHTSA complaints: 43
- exhaust system problems3NHTSA complaints: 33
- clutch problems2NHTSA complaints: 2
- drivetrain problems2NHTSA complaints: 312
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 12
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 4
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 32
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 24
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.