- November 3: Honda Recalls 344,000 Minivans For Violent Braking
- October 31: Honda Settles Class-Action Lawsuit Over Oil Burning Claims
- September 20: Honda Recalls 374,000 Vehicles With Air Bags That Deploy When They Shouldn't
2003 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially was replacing the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
Worst 2003 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- transmission problems888NHTSA complaints: 584
- interior accessories problems155NHTSA complaints: 84
- electrical problems72NHTSA complaints: 105
- engine problems72NHTSA complaints: 142
- body / paint problems66NHTSA complaints: 52
- AC / heater problems56NHTSA complaints: 12
- brakes problems54NHTSA complaints: 190
- windows / windshield problems22NHTSA complaints: 48
- steering problems17NHTSA complaints: 57
- lights problems8NHTSA complaints: 27
- seat belts / air bags problems6NHTSA complaints: 154
- suspension problems6NHTSA complaints: 27
- exterior accessories problems5NHTSA complaints: 32
- drivetrain problems4NHTSA complaints: 217
- exhaust system problems4NHTSA complaints: 33
- fuel system problems4NHTSA complaints: 13
- clutch problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 26
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 22
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.