- April 19: Woman Punctured in the Throat by Exploding Takata Airbag news | 11 days ago
- April 8: Honda Pilots Recalled to Replace Gas Tanks recalls | 22 days ago
- April 7: Honda Recalls 2003 Accord to Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 23 days ago
2003 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially was replacing the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
Worst 2003 Accord suspension Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- suspension is insufficient, rides roughly3
- extreme vibration while driving2
- pulls/ won't stay aligned1
- torn front compliance bushings1
- NHTSA: Suspension20
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front8
- NHTSA: Suspension: Automatic Stability Control (Asc)1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Macpherson Strut1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Wheel Bearing 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.