- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 1 days ago
- May 18: Honda Recalls CR-V Engines With the Wrong Pistons recalls | 11 days ago
- May 18: Honda CR-V and Acura RDX Recalled For Invisible Ink recalls | 11 days ago
- May 17: Lawsuit Says 2015-2017 Honda CR-V SUVs Have Fuel Odor Problems news | 12 days ago
- May 3: Honda and Takata Sued Over Malaysian Death Caused by Airbag news | 26 days ago
2001 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.
Worst 2001 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems361NHTSA complaints: 131
- seat belts / air bags problems63NHTSA complaints: 401
- engine problems58NHTSA complaints: 85
- body / paint problems52NHTSA complaints: 29
- interior accessories problems13NHTSA complaints: 44
- AC / heater problems6NHTSA complaints: 3
- brakes problems6NHTSA complaints: 60
- windows / windshield problems4NHTSA complaints: 10
- exterior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems3NHTSA complaints: 5
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 17
- steering problems3NHTSA complaints: 19
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- electrical problems2NHTSA complaints: 61
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 9
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 73
- suspension problems1NHTSA complaints: 26
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 27
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 11
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.