- July 19: Takata Has Been Lying (To Everyone) Since At Least 2000 news | 7 days ago
- July 16: Patricia Mincey Takata Airbag Lawsuit Settled news | 10 days ago
- July 7: Honda and Acura Vehicles Recalled to Replace Gas Tanks recalls | 19 days ago
- July 2: Acura HandsFreeLink Problems Cause Battery Drain Lawsuit news | 24 days ago
- July 1: NHTSA Has Urgent Message For Honda and Acura Owners news | 25 days ago
2001 Honda Accord
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.
Worst 2001 Accord Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems356NHTSA complaints: 131
- seat belts / air bags problems63NHTSA complaints: 388
- engine problems57NHTSA complaints: 85
- body / paint problems50NHTSA complaints: 27
- interior accessories problems13NHTSA complaints: 42
- brakes problems6NHTSA complaints: 60
- AC / heater problems5NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems4NHTSA complaints: 10
- exterior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems3NHTSA complaints: 5
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 17
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- electrical problems2NHTSA complaints: 60
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 8
- steering problems2NHTSA complaints: 18
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 71
- suspension problems1NHTSA complaints: 25
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 27
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 10
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.