CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

8.8

$3,400.00

1. replace with a rebuilt transmission (55 reports)
  3. replace with new transmission (30 reports)
  4. replace/rebuild transmission (7 reports)
  5. dealer fixed under 109k mile warranty extension / goodwill repair (3 reports)
  6. replace with aftermarket transmission (1 reports)
2001 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jun 012013

Accord Sedan Ex Vtec I4

Transmission began slipping and would jolt, breaking the axle seals, and my Accord would constantly leak transmission fluid. The d4 light would often flash as well.

- , Bellevue, NE, USA

Oct 082013

Accord

Until the car started to have some shifting problems a few months ago and I did a little research, I didn't know that Honda had, in the mid-2000's, begged-off a recall and only extended the warranty for 7 years or 109k miles. We never received a notice advising the warranty extension or an explanation of potential problems. Of course the vehicle has been beyond the warranty for several years now. The cost to repair, even with a rebuilt at an independent repair shop, is beyond my budget. Thanks Honda! I have always been a Honda ambassador - recommending their vehicles to friends and family. Due to Honda's handling of this known problem, I'll now caution people against investing in a new or used Honda.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 132012

Accord Limited 3.0L V6

I am shocked that Honda expects their customers to replace a transmission that is clearly faulty from the getgo. On top of that, I have been told by my mechanic that a rebuilt transmission from Honda comes with a 1 YEAR WARRANTY ONLY. From the clearly documented track record of Honda transmission problems (including recalls and class action law suits) I fully expect that a rebuilt transmission with a warranty of only 1 year will behave the same way as the old one...

What to do? Anyone have a success story out of this mess?

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 052011

Accord EX V6 3.0L

Transmission went in for Extended Warranty repair after failing. Not sure how the repair was performed using new, or refurbished parts (they would not tell me).

About 6,500 miles later after the transmission started to "slip" and it failed again. Now technically "out of warranty", Honda would not do anything about what I consider to be a faulty warranty repair. It cost me over $6,000 to for my local dealer put in a "refurbished" transmission! It has been about 25,000 miles, and guess what, it's beginning to "slip", make noise and shift hard once again. So let's see this is my THIRD transmission. Shame on you Honda! At least help out a little with the repair cost. There is something obviously wrong with the quality or design of the automatic transmissions for the V6 Accord.

I must say I love this car. The V6 Accord EX 2-door was very comfortable and fun to drive. The V6 engine has been great all these years. It's such a shame, because now I'm looking at other car manufactures, where I have had Honda's for the past 25 years.

- , Sherborn, MA, USA

Jul 222013

Accord ES-L V4

I have taken very good care of this car, which was hyped over and over as a reliable car that if regularly maintained would last a long time over many miles. For many years there were times I put less than 5000 miles/year. I live in a very mild climate and the car has generally been nothing but reliable. When the transmission went at just 75K miles, I was disappointed. I was surprised to see that this was a well known issue for 2001 Honda Accords. In the many years of service at a Honda dealership, I was not told that this was something to keep extra eyes on due to the class action lawsuit. Many sites mention that Honda will honor a goodwill repair gesture even if you are beyond some of the lawsuit terms. My father had his own 2001 Acura TL transmission covered under a goodwill gesture at close to 75% and he was facing simliar issues. Since my miles are low, I was disappointed to hear the initial reaction to offer absolutely nothing, especially when there are cases where Honda has chosen to offer this to customers. Anyone have suggestions on how Honda can own up to their product? Had I driven with more frequency over the years, I guess I would have hit this problem within the 7 year 9 month window and had it fully covered. Seems there should be something they could offer.

I have driven only Hondas and Acuras since 1988, largely due to their reputation as fully reliable. It looks like it is time to let go of that notion.

- , Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Oct 042012

Accord LX

After a recall, our transmission was supposedly "fixed." After some time,the torque converter has failed. Kaput.

We bought Honda because of their renowned quality and longevity. In retrospect, I realize I made a mistake. We have only one additional Honda, and pray it, too, does not have catastrophic failure.

Cost of replacement, even remanf is more than 40% of Accord's value.

We bought this Accord brand new, & it has been superbly maintained.

Sign me, unhappy, confused and worse than broke. sniff

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 072013

Accord LX V6

Honda is known for it's strong customer service and reliable vehicles. Our extended family have been strong Honda supporters and consumers. Unfortunately, this was not supported in this situation. My in-laws are more elderly and don't put significant mileage on their two vehicles. Honda apparently recognized a design defect in the transmission design on this Accord and issued an extension on the normal warranty to address it. My in-laws experienced the problem, but Honda refused to support their issue in anyway with even a partial offset to the high expensive repair for this design flaw, based on their experiencing the defect too late. It's disappointing that based on this, we have lost credibility with promoting Honda as the car maker of choice. This will clearly influence our buying decisions and influence on all others in the future.

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Feb 142013

Accord

My car only has 52,000 miles on it and the transmission needs to be rebuilt. It is a 2001 HONDA ACCORD. THE MECHANIC WANTS $2500 to rebuild it. I never received any notices over the years from Honda that there was a problem with the transmission. I bought the car new in 2001. Do I have any recourse with Honda?

- , Venice, CA, USA

Feb 152012

Accord LX 4 cyl

I needed a car and found a used dealership that had a 2001 Honda Accord with 139k miles on it. I only purchased it because the car came with a 3 month 3k mile warranty. I will never buy something "as is" that costs more than $500 even if its built by Honda or any other import brand. A car is a machine with thousands of moving parts. Long story short, 2 weeks after purchase the tranny fails while I'm getting off the highway with no warning. The D4 light was flashing and I had it towed back to the dealership which honored the 3 month 3k warranty. Had it rebuilt and I hope it lasts at least 100k or so. The car is very solid, no squeaks or rattles. Its just the transmission that gives issues.

- , Douglasville, GA, USA

Sep 282012

Accord LX

The transmission was a bad scare. The shifting started slipping and when I took it to the dealer not only did they tell me it was not covered but that they would charge me 4,000 for the fix. Completely unfair since it is well known that the transmission is a defect of the build of the car and not the customer.

- , Union City, New Jersey, USA

Nov 202012

Accord EX

I cannot believe this car has 162000 miles and no transmission! I have taken excellent care of this car. There are so many complaints about this car's transmission that I believe it inexcusable that Honda refuses to help me. They said due to the mileage and year of the car there is nothing they can do. I have never had a car with a bad transmission but at 162000 miles it is ridiculous. There are so many complaints of the same problem and I even found a couple websites that said do not buy the Honda Accord EX 2001 model used. "Stay away from it like the plague" This is my 3rd Honda and unless someone from Honda contacts me to let me know that they will do something for me, and I don't mean where I pay thousands of $, it will be my last Honda and I will get to every website, twitter and facebook and make sure as many people as possible know that Honda is no better than any other car out there. I am so disappointed, and now carless

- , Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jun 302012

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl

Purchased a 2001 Honda Accord from dealership. I received Honda┬┤s extended warranty for the transmission. In October of 2007 while on the highway transmission started rattling and the car was jerking, transmission D4 light started to blink, the best I could I drove the car to the side of the road and had towed to my mechanic. The mechanic told me that the car needed a new transmission and recommended I contact Honda. The car had 68800 miles. The Honda dealership which I already knew were nothing but a bunch of rip-off artists, charged me $1,464.55 to change the transmission and gave me a useless extended warranty.

This car was used by my wife 95% of the time. In late June, 2012 the transmission started with the same problems at 109900 miles, the new diagnostic is that the car needs a new transmission about 41000 miles later.

My first feeling is that even after having that car for 10 days in 2007 the Honda dealership never changed the transmission, they only repaired the old transmission and sent me on my way.

- , Rosedale, New York, USA

Dec 162009

Accord ES 3.2L V6

Honda repaired while traveling a leaky seal on the tranny at about 65K. We should have known as the problems escalated within the V6 auto tranny Accords, ours was always just over the allowed mileage. This is our third and very probably last Honda sue to the poor quality of the 2001 Accord. Only a free replacement will be an acceptable resolution - especially with all the newer reports of a known defective design with the more powerful V6.

- , Auburn, AL, USA

Sep 202012

Accord EX Coupe V4

click to see larger images

transmission failure

Yesterday (September 20, 2012), my 2001 Honda Accord EX Coupe experienced complete transmission failure. I was driving along when the D4 indicator on the instrument panel began to flash. Within a minute my transmission started growling and racing through gears without engaging. I was able to limp it about 2 miles to a parking lot and get it safely off the road. It would drive in reverse, but not in any forward gear. This morning I had it towed to my local dealership where I purchased it 11 years ago. After a few hours of waiting, my service advisor called to give me the bad news. The transmission would need to be replaced at an out-of-pocket cost of more than $3,800.

Here's the funny part. In 2006, with around 77,000 miles on my car, I had the same issue with my transmission. When I took it to the dealership, they replaced the transmission at no cost to me because a higher than normal number of automatic transmissions in the 2001 Accord had problems due to defects in material and workmanship. In the six years since the last transmission was installed, my car was in storage for two years. I have just over 115,000 miles on it now. That's less than 40,000 miles since the last time I had to get a new transmission. That seems fishy to me.

I called Honda Customer Service today and explained my plight to a nice man named Eric. I asked if I was eligible for one of those "Goodwill Repairs" I've heard so much about. He put me on hold for a while so he could speak to his "manager". When he came back he told me that I was ineligible for any financial reparations because the first replacement transmission was considered my Goodwill Repair. This leaves me in a position where I owe nearly $4000 to repair a part that Honda has admitted was defective.

I have attached a letter issued by Honda's Automobile Division in the Winter of 2002, titled "Automatic Transmission Warranty Extension". It extends the vehicle's 3-year, 36,000-mile limited warranty out to 7-years or 100,000-miles. The letter details the very symptoms I experienced with my car in the moments before it stopped driving, both in 2006 and 2012.

I'm aware that I've exceeded 7 years and 100,000 miles with the vehicle itself. However, neither of the transmissions made it close to that far. The first went 5 years/77,000 miles and the second went 6 years/40,000 miles.

- , Madison, WI, USA

Sep 132012

Accord EX 3.2L V6

Transission failed again today on my 2001 Accord V6(under 160,000 miles). Would not even drive . I missed a half day of work , was stuck on a busy street for 45minutes waiting for a tow truck finally got it to the dealer to hear more bad news.Over the years Honda has taken care of the cost the last FOUR times i have brought it in for transmission problems Last time being in 2008 but now I'm being told its going to cost over$4300.00 to fix it. Does this fall under the 2001 lemon law? I take my car in for scheduled maintenance . Drive it properly nothing i could have done to avoid this. I love my car my , my Honda advisor is great and know he is only doing his job but i don't feel i don't have to pay $4300 for a car that is worth just a couple thousand more than the repair cost of a transmission. I cant afford to fix it and cant afford a new car. I just want my car fixed at a fair price. Is there anything i can do ? I got the number for Honda corporation. And heard of something called Good Will repair.What steps do i have to do to get Honda to help?

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jul 232012

Accord LX

The 2001 Honda Accord LX that I own has died! The transmission that I had rebuilt is now on its second year. I expected it to happen eventually but the timing is terribly inconvenient. I am not sure if there is any help that I can receive from Honda customer service.I always see these cars on the road and I need to fin out if it is worth anything in its current state.

- , Union City, GA, USA

Jun 062010

Accord LX

I purchased a 2001 Honda Accord LX 2007. Three years later, the transmission began slipping. It was clear that it would need to be replaced or rebuilt. As I bought the cars as is without any warranty. I had it rebuilt and the total cost was $1,889.00. Of course, only warranty I got was for a year or 12,000 miles.

- , Union City, GA, USA

Mar 082012

Accord EX 3.2L

We had the torque conve4rter replaced after hondas 2006 class action. for free. and now the trans is going again...albeit 150k miles later, the car has 248k on it as i speak. i wont shift into 3rd or overdrive. I'll be going with toyota from now on. Im just glad we only initially spent 10k on the car used, private sale, and got honda to do the first fix. Like most corporations, they are out to please themselves first. Dont you just love living in the Corporate States of America !

- , Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Mar 192012

Accord EX V6

Unsure if this is a verifiable complaint as the last time i remember having a transmission issue on a car was a 1977 monte carlo after about 15K miles. Also, i owned a 1991 Mercedes 300se with a little over 220K miles and it needed transmission repair/rebuild.

What i can say is that this is a 2001 and driven by a woman that is not happy unless she is going mach 5 with her hair on fire. Given that and the fact that the accord is a little car with a monster Vtec 6 engine, i feel lucky that it lasted 188K miles.

Is it annoying that the transmission needs repair? yes.

I look at it this way, i had a chevy with tranny issues after 15K miles and i have had a 1989 accord with over 350K miles (when we donated it in 2001) and no tranny or engine issues (looking back with my 20/20 vision, i should have kept that car).

- , Spring Grove, IL, USA

Oct 192010

Accord EX V6

BOY DId I get taken retired And broke with a junk car ! HONDA TRANIE MY son was given my ford focus he just laughs He has no problems.

- , Howell, MI, USA