- February 5: Takata Airbags Cause Honda to Recall 2.2 Million Vehicles recalls | 4 days ago
- February 4: Honda Accord Recalled After Airbag Defects Cause Injuries recalls | 5 days ago
- February 4: Honda Civic Recall On The Way To Fix Engines recalls | 5 days ago
- February 4: Continental Automotive Systems Recalls 5 Million Airbags recalls | 5 days ago
- January 30: Lawsuit: Rabbits Chew Honda Soy Wiring to Shreds news | 10 days ago
2001 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.
Worst 2001 Accord transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission failure139
- shifting roughly48
- transmission slipping48
- jerks when shifting from park to drive38
- d4 light flashing24
- transmission fluid leaking15
- reverse gear is slipping13
- slipping and banging12
- bad product/bad customer service9
- locks into park, have to use shiftlock switch3
- loud noise when put in reverse2
- high shift points1
- reverse and forward gears engaging at same time1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission125
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Cooling ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Park/Neutral ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission: Lubricant1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.