- July 19: Honda Finance Corp Fined $25 Million For Auto Loan Discrimination
- July 16: Honda Recalls 2016 Pilot To Fix Seat Belt Problems
- July 10: Hyundai Recalls Sonata Sedans To Fix Defective Seat Belt Buckles
- July 9: Exploding Airbags Cause Honda to Recall 4.5 Million Vehicles
- June 19: Death of Jewel Brangman Caused by Takata Airbag
2001 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 107,589 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 48 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- new or rebuilt transmission (17 reports)
- not sure (15 reports)
- get a new transmission from American Honda (ha ha) (12 reports)
- took to transmission shop (3 reports)
- when tranny acts up tow car home asap (1 reports)