CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

7.4

$1,994.00

1. new or rebuilt transmission (14 reports)
  3. get a new transmission from American Honda (ha ha) (12 reports)
  4. took to transmission shop (3 reports)
  5. when tranny acts up tow car home asap (1 reports)
2001 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 262012

Accord ES 4 cylndr

Extremely disappointed especially since my husband convinced me that Hondas were dependable cars...after all; he owned several Preludes which didn't give him a bit of trouble. I decided to get rid of my Pontiac Grand Am due to a faulty head gasket.

I had my eye set on a certain body style of Accord. I got my 2001 in the silver color I had wanted. what a sharp car (especially after I had the spoiler added). When I saw the fluid on the pavement in the parking lot at work I was in denial; "not my car, it;s too new, must have been the car that parked there before me"! I once dated a guy who turned the mileage over three times on his 1974 Pontiac Firebird before the"tranny" blew. I can't even make it to one hundred thousand miles.

I haven't decided what to do yet, my car is still running but our mechanic advised us to get rid of it.Too bad they don't make Pontiacs anymore.

- , Johnstown, PA, USA

Jan 182012

Accord LX 3.2L

The transmission shifted roughly frequently and sometimes caused shaking

- , Princeton, NJ, USA

Aug 252006

Accord EX 4 cyl

In 2006 Honda issued an extended warranty on the transmission due to the many complaints/failures. Shortly thereafter we started experiencing slipping/missing gears and took it to Klein Honda in Everett where we purchased it. They ran the diagnostic and told us that it wasn't bad enough to warrant a replacement. Since then it has slowly gotten worse to the point where it is becoming a safety issue because we never really know if it is going to catch and actually go or when it will just decide to stall. Now of course it is past the extended warranty and the dealer refuses to fix it.

- , Snohomish, Washington, USA

Jul 072012

Accord LX 3.0L V6

This 2001 Honda accord with 4spd automatic transmission shifts hard (lurches ahead or decelerates rapidly) when shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to first. The problem varies in severity depending on driving conditions. Didn't catch it on a short test drive. However after an afternoon of city driving, I had several instances of severely hard up and down shifts. One of the biggest problems is that for some reason Honda has been able to keep chronic transmission problems from showing up on KBB and MSN consumer web sites. I did some research on the car before I bought it and it wasn't until I found a honda forum that I had any knowledge that there were any issues with honda transmissions. I wouldn't have bought the car if I had known. Estimate from Honda was up to $4000 to replace with a new transmission (75% of the cars value).

- , Monument, CO, USA

Jan 102012

Accord EX 4 cyl

when this problem with the transmission started it was not too bad, now it is so annoying that I'm afraid that the transmission will go any day even though I only use it to go back and forth to a part time job which is only about fifteen minutes from home. I went to two transmission repair shops and both gave me estimates around $1,800 dollars. I also went to my local Honda dealership which told me that Honda terminated the transmission program about almost three years ago, which was for transmissions which had l00,000 or less. My transmission only has at this time 82,000 miles. I'm sure that their are many more owners with the same problem, and I can't believe Honda wont stand by the cars.

- , Delray Beach, Florida, USA

Mar 022010

Accord LX Vtec

My Accord's transmission jerks at about 20-30 mph - basically when shifting gears. OK, this is what my mechanic said about the problem - it is common with the Accord - the original model was designed for stick, if you treat it like you are driving a stick - ie back off the gas when it is about ready to shift - you will have less problems with jerking. My wife doesn't like this idea and wants it fixed. She took it to the dealer. They want more than I want to pay. Online repair costs average $2500.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 092012

Accord LX 1.8L 4 cyl

When downshifting, the car jerks really bad. Also when you first start the car after it warms up, it shifts really hard.

- , Mills River, NC, USA

Mar 122010

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I bought the car in 2010 and took it to the Bommarito Honda Dealer in Mo. they said it just shifts hard not a problem so now 2 years later same problem but now the check engine light is on and now after a 99 dollar diagnostic tells me its a shift solenoid they say I need another transmission I am pissed but not gonna get their 5000 transmission gonna get a rebuilt or different transmission

- , Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

Oct 012011

Accord V6

HELP!

When accelerating from a stop light, stop sign, etc. my car is shifting hard. It was time to have the transmission fluid flushed anyways, so I did. $150 later, my car is still acting the same (it did nothing except empty my wallet some).

It is $110 alone for Honda to run the diagnostic test. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions as to what it may be? Is it serious and does it need taken care of now before something more costly happens?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!

- , Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Dec 052011

Accord LX

Don't buy any Honda Accords. This is my third transmission for this Honda Accord. Honda's response is it's out of warranty. It sure is, but if they put in their maintenance schedule you would have to replace the transmission every 50-60k miles they wouldn't sell any of these. Avoid Honda like the plague.

- , Joplin, MO, USA

May 092003

Accord LX

First transmission failure at 34k - i should have known then to get rid of it as fast as I could. Unfortunately I had heard that Honda's were reliable. I guess I need to get my hearing checked because the one I got has been terrible.

- , Joplin, MO, USA

Dec 012011

Accord EX 4.3L

Will never buy a Honda again. Went to the dealer today for a quote to fix a transmission which Honda knows is a defective design. The quoted repair cost was $4,050.00 of which Honda would pay $1,000.00 as a goodwill gesture. I told the dealer I was insulted. The car only has 96,000 miles. I am going with a rebuilt unit from a company that has addressed the problems and incorporated these improvements into the re-manufactured units. Honda should have done the same. I will tell everyone I know NOT to buy Honda. I even have a Honda mower which is a piece of junk too.

- , Litchfield, CT, USA

May 012011

Accord V4

I bought the Accord for its reliability and it has been great up until this problem which is a big one. Honda should back up the quality of their products and recall other Accord years.

- , Darien, IL, USA

Jun 012011

Accord EX V6

Bought the car used in EXCELLENT condition from an OCD woman who had all recommended service done to the car and then some, which, btw, was garaged and driven sparingly. It looks brand spanking new. But, all that sparkles is not gold. After my family mechanic inspected the car on the lift and through a test drive, Carfax gave the thumbs up, etc, I went ahead and bought the car with utmost confidence in the probability that I wouldn't have to worry about much nor spend much because, hey, it's a HONDA. Nope. After driving it for a while, especially after cold starts, I began to notice that the car shifted hard from first to second and acted nothing like a V6 should. On hills it would jerk like an epileptic and struggle to gain speed. I looked up the symptoms and turned up a cache of info online that was like a neon sign pointing straight to hell. The 01 Accord V6s are prone to transmission failure and what I was experiencing was a warning sign. I took it to the dealership, they did a diagnostic, and said I'd need a new transmission. The service manager put in a call to Honda for a Goodwill repair because of the car's excellent condition and service record. Now it's a waiting game. I'm not holding my breath but I'm not going to freak either because it is JUST a car, after all, but I'm only 27 years old and I can't afford this with my measly freelancer's income. So much for grad school. Anyone who can help me, please reach out. Thanks!

- , Oyster Bay, NY, USA

Feb 012010

Accord EXL 4 cyl

I bought this Honda Accord 2001 in November of 2000 thinking I was getting a car that would last me a long time. I'm forgetting to mention this was my 4th Honda, my 3rd bought new ! Last year my engine light came on and the transmission started jerking from 1st to 2nd gear, then I started noticing a spot of fluid on garage floor. I took it to my local mechanic and he replaced the axle seals and reset the computer. This fix only lasted 2 months and it was back, engine light on and the jerking. Once the car warmed up it stopped but I didn't drive it much. I had to have both of my hips replaced so I parked the car. Now I have been released to drive and I need To get a permanent fix. I don't know what to do. Called my local dealership and they said it was past the extended warranty but would love to get their expensive hands on it. I have to go in for the air bag replacement so I will talk face to face, but I'm just a number long forgot on someone's sale sheet in 2000. I'm very disappointed in Honda and to think i thought they were the best. I would appreciate any advice and/or help to get this fixed without having to take out a loan to fix my car and find a job. Good Luck to everyone out there.

- , Bel Aire, Kansas, USA

Feb 152011

Accord LX 4 cyl

Having the same problem as many have listed for this year and make. Have owned 4 Honda's, have never had an issue with one until now. Sounds like Honda is sweeping this one under the rug. I called a Honda dealer to get his opinion. He said to nurse it, don't change the tranny oil, and if you have to, only drain and refill. He knew exactly what the problem was and said it would be $4500 to fix. I don't think the car is would be worth that to sell outright, if it didn't have the problem, and it is in good shape! Well, Honda, it looks like this is the last one I will be buying! I would love to build an Electric Vehicle, maybe this one would be a good candidate.

- , Aurora, IL, USA

Jan 212011

Accord LX V6

Bought the car used from the original owner.The transmission did not "act up" when I test drove the car and the owner told me he knew of no problems. SHAME on me for not taking it to a good mechanic to have evaluated before I bought it. Wonderful car otherwise.

- , Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA

Jul 012010

Accord LX 3.0L V6

This is a real problem shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I can't be sure when it will give out entirely, therefore, I only use the car for short commuter trips and to/from nursing school.

- , Hampton, VA, USA

Sep 012010

Accord ES 3.0L V6

Bought this from a used car dealership. Supposedly they did an inspections and so forth. Just frustrating that a year later the transmission is now going to cause problems.

- , Bozeman, MT, USA

Jan 012006

Accord EX-V6 V6

Rough shifting noted at 60,000 miles. Dealership in Arizona could find nothing wrong after several years and many complaints. Had car checked again prior to moving from Arizona to Oregon, THEN they said the bands were slipping and I needed a new transmission for several thousand dollars. I did not have the money so I drove to Oregon with the bad transmission. Saving money now to probably get a new transmission. Current odometer reading is 85,500 miles. This was my first Honda and almost certainly my last!

Update from Apr 11, 2011: Arizona dealership went to bat for me requesting a minimal charge transmission repair. I received a call from California (Honda customer relations) advising me my car was out of warranty and they could do no more for me. I have finally given up and plan to sell the vehicle in the near future. My next car will NOT be a Honda.

- , Forest Grove, Oregon, USA