CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,332.00

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (150 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 34)

Aug 152016

Civic 4 cyl

Dear Honda - Why in the world didn't you own up to the transmission problems with this car? You ought to be ASHAMED of the quality you produced and the pain you caused all the people who thought - "Hey, I'll buy a honda! All you have to do is change the oil regularly and it will run like a top!". You have COMPLETELY lost my business because of how you handled this vehicle. I will never, ever buy a Honda again. And, oh, by the way in case you are wondering, here's how you spell quality....T-O-Y-O-T-A. Pissed beyond belief, Former Honda Lover

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Sep 012016

Civic EX Six

I had stopped at a red light of a major street. Thank goodness that there was a car stopped behind me. When the light turned green for me to pull off, the car did not move when I tried to accelerate. Some people jumped out and helped me to get the vehicle out of the major intersection onto a Jack in the Box parking lot.

Then the Check Engine Light came on. I then had to call a wrecker to haul the vehicle to my house. A mechanic came and checked the vehicle and said the transmission had failed. I contacted Honda and they said that my transmission was not a recall item based on my vin number. And that they would not do a "goodwill repair." But when I asked them, What model transmission was in my vehicle? Their answer was 4 speed automatic. I also asked them "What Stamp Number was on the Transmission? The dealer said the only thing they had was 4 speed automatic.

The Dealer wants $4,704.18 for the transmission. And $1,000.00 plus was what they said for labor.

When I question about Warranty Policies, they would not look it up. And said that policies do not transfer to new owners. So if the owner bought a 3 year policy and sold the car after 6 months, than they should refund 2 years and 6 months of premiums to the original owner. "Smells like theft to me."

- , Beaumont, TX, USA

Jul 062015

Civic

i have read that all 2001 Honda Civic transmission were one of the biggest problems. Beware i cant afford to fix mine.

- , Phoenix, AR, USA

Apr 172016

Civic LX 1.7L, In-Line4

I was driving on the highway when I noticed the car hesitating when I hit the gas. It worsened as I pulled off the highway and the check engine light came on. The car felt like it was barely going to make it to the next stop light. The car had to be towed to the Auto Center where I always take the car. I talked with the mechanic, and he told me the cost for a new transmission would be $3500.

I am the original owner of this car so I know the maintenance has been handled well. Regular oil changes, maintenance, transmission flush, etc. After this happened, that's when I researched and saw that this is a problem that has affected many Honda owners. That's pretty disturbing that no recalls were issued for this. When I think of what could have happened when I was on a highway, it makes my blood run cold. I only have approximately 63,570 miles on the car and the transmission should not have gone at this time.

I called the Honda Customer Service number and they were no help at all.

I'd like to know why Honda is only extending the transmission warranty for some of their models and not this one? Is it perhaps because they're not so many of the other ones they'd have to extend the warranties for but there are so many 2001 Civics out there, and it would simply cost them too much?

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 042016

Civic

My boyfriend and I just got our first car together a few weeks ago, because we are moving and will need the car to go to and from work. We bought it second-hand , and the car was working perfect. i was on my way home from a dr appointment and when i turned onto the back-road(thankfully i was off the highway) the car revved like i was in neutral and wouldnt go into gear. I pulled over, put er in park and then tried going again. she was working again fine for about a km, then started doing the revving thing. We were able to get it to my fathers, and he said ill need to replace the whole transmission !!!! IM MOVING IN 3 WEEKS!!! thankfully i have a friend who is a mechanic so he's doing it for me for a pretty cheap price since he knows my situtation.

But seriously, i had the car a friggin week! since ive read all the complaints on here i really wish we wouldnt have gotten the darn thing.

- , Moncton, NB, Canada

May 012013

Civic EX

Just got the car as a gift from my grandparents. They bought me the car and did a timing belt and water pump for good measure. The damn transmission completely failed the second time I drove it

- , New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Jan 292016

Civic LX 1.7L

I guess things could always be worse, but the timing of this just floored me. I had no warning that this issue existed or was upcoming. I was driving one day and noticed this strange revving if I lightly touched the gas, and by the next day when I was literally on my way to the mechanic to get it checked, the revving sensation worsened and the check engine light came on. The car felt like it was barely going to make it to the shop. I am the original owner of this car so I know the maintenance was handled well. Regular oil changes, maintenance, transmission flush, etc. After this happened, that's when I researched and saw that this is a problem that has affected many Honda owners. That's pretty disturbing that no recalls were issued for this. When I think of what could have happened if I was on a highway, it makes my blood run cold. I know I might be considered one of the lucky ones, because I have a lot of highway miles, but I purchased this car thinking that it would pretty much last a very long time if I took care of it. My cousin's Honda lasted up through $300k miles. I wasn't thinking that I would have this issue unless I simply just didn't take care of the car. I'm pretty sure this remanufactured transmission costs more than the value of the car, but it's either that or literally have no vehicle because I don't have the finances at this moment to purchase or finance another car. And the used transmission is no better because 1) you don't know if you're literally purchasing the exact same problem, and 2) the price for some of the used are virtually almost the same as the remanufactured ones...so what's the point of that?? Definitely eye-opening...and considering I was already feeling some type of way about Honda after needing a new engine 2 years after I bought this car brand new, I think this issue has sealed their fate with me. I WILL NOT be buying another Honda if this is how they treat their customers nor will I recommend anyone else to purchase a Honda. They can't hide issues, then not recall the cars or offer any other resolution when issues occur that they were aware of...just simply not good business.

- , Hyattsville, MD, USA

Nov 122015

Civic EX

I've only had this car 3 months and I've taken good care of it. I was without a car (in Michigan) for a year while I saved money. I talked to a number of people before I bought it and they all said this would be a reliable car that should last a while. I saw a couple of the complaints said 'get Honda to fix it'. Has anyone actually contacted Honda? If this happens to every 2001 Civic they should do something about it. No more Hondas for me.

- , Grand Rapids, USA

Oct 172014

Civic LX 1.7L

click to see larger images

transmission failure

Mr. Hiroshima Honda would never built a transmission like this one that failed at 150k (RIP). Known problem area and I am about to replace it again. Design error and will fail again. Never buying an automatic again. Top dollar for Mazda with stick shift. These new dual clutch transmissions are going to make cars disposable. CVT good luck. 2002-2006 Accord and Acura V6 transmissions RIP as well. Learn to shift and save a lot of money.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Dec 242014

Civic DX 1.7L V4

Honda 2001..171,000 kms or 103,000 miles and transmission gone. This happened when 600 km away from home. On time oil changes, transmission flush , and regular maintenance didn't save the transmission because it was freaking meant to fail at that mileage. Honda lost my trust completely. This is a Japanese manufacturer and people think American manufacturers are bad! They should have done a recall on it but never did. The car just came to a full stop and it was freaking in December. The solution was to change the whole transmission which would have costed $3000. Also, the heating vent on the passenger side was gone as well at a much lower mileage. I am not buying Honda again!

- , EDMONTON, AB, Canada

Jun 012015

Civic LX

2001 Honda Civics are notorious for having bad transmissions and this one is no exception. I have been running a p0740 code for since 120,000 miles. So it was a matter of when it was going to go instead a matter of if. Luckily I was on a back road and was able to get to the side of the road after which I was in Tysons Corner with a lot of traffic. Honda should be embarrassed from this production and this many complaints. Estimated cost for the repair ranged from $1500-5000. The car is already beat up from 15 years of being on the road. Although it had a good run, transmission failure after 163,000 miles with regular changes is absolutely pathetic. Luckily I had a guy to give me $1000 for the car and I took it and ran. Too bad, it was a fun car to drive.

- , Reston, VA, USA

Apr 282015

Civic EX

Adding another transmission failure to the list. Knew about this problem and this site several years ago and tried to be proactive in fluid changes (NOT flushes) to prevent trans failure. What good that did... I did 3 drain and fills over 50k miles and slipping started about 2 weeks before last drain and fill, which ultimately ended up killing the transmission. It seems 130K is longer than most get out of this trans, but still stressful and annoying. Good thing it didn't die on the beltway here in DC or I probably would have had bigger problems. Going to try and get Honda to subsidize the replacement but don't expect anything miraculous.

- , Wasington, DC, USA

Jan 052015

Civic LX 1.7L

Although I've had my car since March of 2001, (I'm the original owner), I neither drive it very much nor very far and I'm probably the most conservative driver on the road (second only to my 85 year old mother)! Thus, and at less than 90,000 miles on a 15 year old car (which equates to approximately 737 miles a month/6,000 miles a year..... but more like less than 5,000 A YEAR for the last few years!), I simply couldn't fathom it's transmission going out already, and when I say going out, I MEAN IT WENT OUT IN A FLASH WITH NO WARNING WHATSOEVER! I was lucky enough to have been within a block of home so I was able to basically coast the rest of the way. Oh, and BTW, I've always kept the car well maintained!

So why is it that Honda is only extending the transmission warranty for some of their models and not this one? Is it perhaps because they're not so many of the other ones they'd have to extend the warranties for but there's a TON of 2001 Civics out there and it would simply cost them too much?

I'd like to know if there's anyone out there who could give me some advice as to how I could get Honda to repair, or better yet REPLACE MY TRANSMISSION? I'm on social security and most of that fixed income goes to over-priced medication that I can't live without (but that's a whole other complaint for a different website... LOL!)

PLEASE!!! IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME I WOULD BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL!

Thank you and God bless you! Michele

Lotsokittycats@gmail.com

- , Orange, CA, USA

Feb 262015

Civic LX 1.7L 4-cyl

I am the original owner and did all the usual maintenance. Transmission failed. I'm completely disappointed by Honda. We also own a 2010 CRV and I'm thinking of getting rid of both cars and never buying a Honda again.

- , Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Feb 222015

Civic LX

Loved this little car but didn't know the transmission was going to go out no warning nothing. Just a clunk and gone. Fluids and all where great, just decided to stop working one afternoon, grrrrr. Now that I have read all the complaints I wish I hadn't bought the car.

- , Sugar Grove, VA, USA

Feb 212015

Civic EX 1.7L Vtec

While driving at 35 mph on a local road, the car lost power (the engine was fine, but was no longer getting power to the wheels). I had to have the car towed to a nearby shop. They determined that the transmission needed to be completely replaced. Because the car was otherwise in great mechanical and cosmetic condition and had such low mileage on it, I decided to have a rebuilt transmission installed (sourced from Jasper Engines and Transmissions). The cost was quite high, but I was told it was only about $500 more than using a junk yard transmission that would only have a 90 day warranty.

As if my luck wasn't bad enough by having the transmission fail, 4 days and 72 miles after having the rebuilt transmission installed, the car was rear-ended at 30 MPH while stopped at a red traffic signal. The at-fault driver's insurance company declared the car a total loss and paid me less than the transmission cost.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 112015

Civic LX

Not worth of fixing this old junk!

No Honda anymore.

- , Randolph, NJ, USA

Nov 012014

Civic EX

I am so upset to see so many people experiencing the same problem I have with my car. I love my Honda--I live in the country and it can stand up to the weather and the terrain. It has always been good to me without hardly any problems--until now.

Out of the blue, the transmission went. It just stopped working--no warning, no light, nothing. My husband looked into purchasing a new or refurbished one and we can't afford it. We looked into replacing it with another 2001 Honda Civic EX transmission but my transmission is Canadian-made. The other Honda's has an American transmission.

We don't want to fork out $600 for a car that needs more work than my car, but we're also wondering what the difference is between the two transmissions? If anyone knows, that would be great---problem solved. I haven't called the dealer I bought my Honda from because I doubt they will do anything about it. I bought it in 2005, and the warranty is up. It's just a shame we'll have to scrap a car that is great condition save the transmission.

- , Brogue, PA, USA

Dec 062014

Civic DX 1.7L V4

While driving on the highway my vehicle abruptly stopped responding to the gas pedal. I was able to exit the highway, call a tow truck and be towed to an auto body local to where the incident occurred but 45 miles from my home. Upon review,they determined the car would need a new transmission, much to their surprise as, overall, the car was in "great condition". I've now found out this repair will total over $1800 for a car that I have maintained and as the auto body verified, kept in great shape.

- , Cambridge, MA, USA

Nov 182014

Civic EX

I was driving on a bitter cold day, and soon after I left it did not seem to be shifting correctly and the RPMs were not responding appropriately. However, it soon "normalized", and I figured it was due to the cold, which had happened before. Not but a few miles into my drive, while driving up a hill in a school zone, my car suddenly stopped accelerating/moving. The engine revved as if it was in neutral, and I could not engage into any gear - not even reverse - so I was stuck on the middle of this hill. I turned on my 4-way flashers and had to coast backwards down a hill, with oncoming traffic, and maneuvered my car into exit of elementary school, while buses were trying to leave. Thank goodness there were no kids using the crosswalk.

There was no warning, no indication lights, no way to prepare for this scary event. On the coldest day ever recorded in history, I had to wait over an hour for it to be towed to my mechanic. He said the transmission had completely failed on me and it would cost $2500 for the transmission to be rebuilt. He also said that the timing belt, oil valve cover and water pump should be replaced too. Now looking at $3000+. He has access to the "best of the best" in transmission rebuild companies in the city, but in his opinion, was not worth the money to pour into this car and was time to "throw in the towel".

My parents were the ones who googled "Honda Civic 2001 transmission problems" and came across this site. The first line said it all about the problematic 2001 Honda Civic, notorious for defective transmissions, and apparently the most recalled car. I am the sole owner of this car, and purchased it after college with the hopes of having the reliable Honda stay with me for the long haul. I am in no position to get this thing fixed, and also in no financial position to get purchase a different car.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA