- May 17: Heavy, Pricey Vehicles Really Are Safer To Occupants
- May 15: Honda CR-V Door Lock Lawsuit Finally Approved
- April 10: Exploding Takata Airbags Inflict Injuries to Honda Drivers
- March 18: Honda Recalls Accord, Civic and Pilot To Replace Takata Airbag Inflators
- March 9: Honda Recalls Accord and CR-V to Replace Engine Short Blocks
1998 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 4)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 120,018 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 73 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- pay to have the transmission replaced (35 reports)
- replace transmission (19 reports)
- not sure (11 reports)
- replace the car w/different year (5 reports)
- prayer (3 reports)