CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

9.2

$4,265.00

1. replace transmission and radiator (48 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission and replace radiator (16 reports)
  4. replace radiator and transmission (4 reports)
  5. radiator and transmission cooler replaced (1 reports)
2006 Nissan Pathfinder transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 162013

Pathfinder SE 4.0L V6

Nissan Knows of this issue it has resulted in a class action lawsuit The only positive thing I can say is my mechanic caught this before my transmission was destroyed. The repairs on this vehicle have been staggering I would advise anyone DO NOT BUY A NISSAN PRODUCT. Between 90 and 110 thousand miles I replaced (14 months) *U Joints *Transfer case *All four wheel bearings *Front Struts *complete radiator and heater core + transmission flush *U joints for 4WD drive shaft *front end steering components. Not to mention normal maintenance Tires brakes oil changes etc. *Currently the Fuel sending unit and fuel gauge sensor are not working. Another major issue involving a recall but only at 90K miles or less Estimate for repair $600+ DO NOT BUY A NISSAN PRODUCT Google any Nissan and the complaints problems and recalls and class action lawsuits are overwhelming

- , Berwick, ME, USA

Mar 012014

Pathfinder LX

Passed 125,000 miles the other day and I have noticed that my transmission has been slight slipping from a complete stop. Sure enough, the cross contamination of the fluids made a new radiator and transmission necessary. The cost is $6000. I will never buy a Nissan again. Building a piece of sh*t is one thing, but not standing behind the product is another.

- , Honey, Brook, USA

Mar 062014

Pathfinder

This transmission thing just happened to me last Thursday. Been without a car for almost a week. Had the car 2 months so far. My complaint is that I bought the extended warranty that covers transmission problems and 10 days worth a rental car. The warranty peoples response: A radiator is not covered in your warranty and since that caused the problem your S.O.L. Any help out there?

- , Valencia, ca, USA

Feb 262014

Pathfinder V6

LOVE THE COMPANY Nissan but upset about the issue with my Pathfinder. The cost of the money that needs to be paid is not fair and as a Female stuck with a truck is upsetting when you have children.

- , Brooklyn, New York, USA

Feb 032014

Pathfinder Sport Wg 6.0L

NISSAN HAS KNOWN ABOUT THIS PROBLEM DONE NOTHING ABOUT IT.I BOUGHT THIS 2 YEARS AGO NOT KNOWING THE PROBLEM NISSAN TRANSMISSION WERE HAVING.2006 WITH 100000 MILES.TRANSMISSION BREAKS DOWN TWO HUNDRED MILES FROM HOME HAD TO BORROW A VEHICLE TO GET HOME. I AM 63 YEARS YOUNG I WORK AND JUST MAKE ENDS MEET.I DONT HAVE 5000 DOLLARS TO PAY FOR TRANSMISSION AND RADIATOR. I HAVE CONTACTED NISSAN THEY SAID THEY WOULD SEE WHAT THEY COULD DO AND CALL ME BACK THAT WAS FOUR DAYS AGO.THAT MAY NOT SEEM LONG BUT I AM WITH OUT A VEHICLE HAVING TO BORROW,AND ASK FOR A RIDE TO WORK WHILE I WAIT ON ANSWERS. ITS NISSAN'S SCREW UP NOT MINE THIS IS A SHAME THAT PEOPLE LIKE ME AND MANY MORE SHOULD HAVE TO GO THRU THIS .THEY SET BACK DRAGGING IN THE MONEY.NOT CARING ABOUT THE CONSUMER.AND WHEN THEY LOSE MONEY THE TAX PAYER WILL HELP BAIL THEM OUT! WHATS RIGHT ABOUT THAT?IF I DO NOT GET HELP PAYING FOR [there mistake] I WILL NEVER BUY A NISSAN AGAIN AND MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS WILL NEVER BUY NISSAN.AND THIS NISSAN I HAVE WILL HAVE TO SET IN MY YARD UNTIL IT ROTS DOWN. I CANT PAY FOR IT TO BE FIXED.I STILL OWE ON IT. WHAT A DAMN SHAME !

- , Henderson, Arkansas, USA

Feb 032014

Pathfinder V6

WAS TOLD TODAY THAT THE COOLANT LEAKED INTO THE TRANSMISSION AND THE ONLY THING THEY CAN DO IS REPLACE IT AT THE COST OF $7,800. THEY SAID IT'S A COMMON PROBLEM WITH PATHFINDERS BUT NO RECALL YET. WARRANTY IS DONE SO GOTTA PAY OUT OF POCKET AND EVEN IF I DID THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM COMPLETELY THEY SAID SINCE THE MILEAGE IS HIGH.

I CAN'T AFFORD TO FIX THIS NOR AFFORD TO GET A NEW LOAN FOR ANOTHER CAR. I DRIVE 50 MILES A DAY AND TRAVEL AT LEAST 2 HOURS A DAY TO AND FROM WORK. CATCHING THE BUS WILL BE A REALLY BIG ISSUE FROM WHERE I LIVE AND WHERE I WORK AS WELL AS AFFECT MY DAILY COMMITMENTS...THIS IS AWFUL AND PAINFUL...

- , Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Jan 202014

Pathfinder SE V6

Bought the vehicle 4 years ago, 2 months after purchasing the fuel pump went put 4 times, which they finally realized all the wiring for the pump was bad. 1 year after that the drive shaft went bad. Now the vehicle is currently parked because the transmission and radiator have to be replaced at the tune of $4,800.' I've tried contacting Nissan via email and telephone no luck yet. I'm extremely surprised s company like this does not stand behind their products. I also own a Chevy cobalt and Chevy pickup and I've never had an issue with either I will never buy a Nissan again!!!

- , Mount Vernon, IL, USA

Jan 172014

Pathfinder ES 4.0L

I'm just putting in my "2 cents" worth and just agreeing with the rest of the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder owners who found out at around the 95,000 mile marker, of the transmission starting to slip, and then taking in to the dealer and having them basically say sorry for your luck but if you want your car fixed, it's gonna cost ya, even though its Nissan's design failure.

When I took my Pathfinder to the dealer, of course, the dealer said nothing about the class action lawsuit. They implied that Nissan on their own, decided to extend the warranty for the transmission and that I was getting a "good deal" that with their warranty on my Pathfinder having 97,000 miles that it was only going to cost me $3,000, because if it was out of warranty it would be around $5K.

I went home to do some research and found out about (a) the class action lawsuit and (b) through internet forum that getting the transmission and radiator replaced, doesn't guarantee that the problem is fixed, as so many Pathfinder owners had to have their transmission replaced a year later!!!. So I didn't get my Pathfinder fixed, but instead went out the next day and bought a Toyota 4 runner. And I was amazed, as the very next day, as I was running errands, I didn't realize that the engine was getting hot, and I barely got it home as at every intersection when I stop, it wouldn't go into gear unless I pushed on the gas pedal and held it there.

VERY disappointed in Nissan for not facing up to this problem and not providing a recall. I was a very loyal Nissan customer but not anymore!!!! I'm going to be telling everyone I know that if they know anyone with a pathfinder to get rid of it NOW before the transmission goes out on them!!!!

- , Huber Heights, OH, USA

Oct 102013

Pathfinder S V6

We had friends tell us they had the same transmission problem with their Nissan's. After looking up some info on the internet I couldn't believe this issue has been out there and Nissan has known about it but never did any recalls. I think thats really crappy and extremely bad customer service. Instead of thinking of their customers safety, Nissan was more than happy to just let it happen to folks so they'd have to deal with it on their own.

- , Manchester, CT, USA

Sep 012013

Pathfinder SE 3.2L V6

I found out about this problem from my dealer after I started to experience bad vibrations at 35-50 mph. Apparently, this issue is very wide-spread and a class action has been settled. I was never informed by Nissan of the issue.

Nissan should have gotten out in front of this thing and issued a radiator recall so as to save everyone the costs of new transmissions. I have always had Nissan or Infinity vehicles for the past 18 years. I will not have another.

- , Bardstown, KY, USA

Aug 312013

Pathfinder

I called Nissan Consumer number on 9/2/13 and they stated because it has 142,000 that it was over the milege to fix the problem. The recall warranty they quoted me was up to 80,000 miles and you had until 11/28/2014 to fix, and, 80,000-100,000 you had until 11/28/2015 to fix it. It's hard for me to believe that there isn't any other complaints past the 100,000.

Regular maintenance has been done on the pathfinder. It's funny that the truck was just service three weeks prior to them telling my father he needs to get a new transmission because of coolant leaking in there. When asked if everyone received a recall notice, they stated yes. This can't not be true. According to Nissan they just reached a settlement on the recall in 10/2010. It is now 9/2013 and you can't tell me that there are several other complaints with mileage close to what I documented. The truck is only 7years old and the complaint is only three.

- , Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jun 032013

Pathfinder LE

Radiator and transmission replaced. It isnt a recall so I paid out of pocket. Hoping it turns into recall to try and get my money back. Never received any letter about an extended warranty on this problem. Extented warranty was up to 100,000 mine had 98,000. I just made it. No notice about anything being wrong. Truck just started to have noticeable symptons in the last 3 weeks. I guess I got lucky if you can even say that. Paid 5600, 3000 was for the radiator and transmission replacement the rest was for timing tension belt and 5 sensors and labor of course. I think all these other issues were from the defect and might not have been an issue. I better get a brand new truck back that runs for ever now.

- , Richfield, MN, USA

Aug 062013

Pathfinder

This problem should be a recall!!! Clearly they realize that this is a known problem due to the fact that Nissan extended the warranty from 60,000 miles to 80,000 miles. The letter did not mention what the problem was or what to look for. If my uncle didn't tell me the problems they had with their Nissan then I would have never known. It's ridiculous what we paid for this car used we couldn't make it to 100,000 miles without a major repair (almost 10,00 for this repair). This happened while I was traveling out of town so I had to leave my car 200 miles from my home to get repaired, rent a car for 10 days and now have to take additional time off to go and get my vehicle when it is done. Even worse than that I have to shell out 2500.00 to have it fixed because my car is at 83,000 miles and the "extended warranty" was only good until 80,000. Knowing this I will never own another Nissan! They have lost my business by not doing the proper thing and making this a recall!

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Aug 092013

Pathfinder ES V6

NISSAN SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR KNOWING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM WITH THE RADIATOR GOING BAD WHICH MAKES THE TRANSMISSION BAD. THE REASON IS COOLANT LEAKS FROM INSIDE THE RADIATOR TO YOUR COOLER LINES THAT KEEP YOUR TRANSMISSION FLUID COOL. COOLANT GOES INSIDE YOUR TRANSMISSION AND MIXES WITH TRANSMISSION FLUID CAUSING TRANSMISSION SLIPPAGE. NOW YOU NEED TO REPLACE YOUR RADIATOR AND YOUR TRANSMISSION. $4,000.00 LATER. ALL NISSAN HAD TO DO IS SEND EVERYBODY A LETTER SAYING WE KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE RADIATOR WHICH WILL LEAD TO A TRANSMISSION FAILURE. PLEASE REPLACE YOUR RADIATOR BEFORE YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR TRANSMISSION. ITS THAT EASY BUT NO WE ARE STUCK PAYING FOR A NEW RADIATOR AND A REBUILD TRANSMISSION. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I SAW WE SHOULD DO ANOTHER CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!

- , Montgomery, AL, USA

Mar 122012

Pathfinder S 4.0L V6

Is Nissan aware that they will be losing thousands of customers if they don't make right this radiator / transmission problem on 2006 Nissan Pathfinders? With their 80,000 mileage extension, they are basically saying that their product is only good for 80,000 miles. I should have just purchase a Kia vehicle with 100,000 miles power train warranty. When I purchase another vehicle, I will definitely not choose Nissan because they don't stand behind their product. Nissan has just lost a customer.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 152013

Pathfinder SE 4L V6

I bought a used 2006 Pathfinder on 5/24/13 which is the only vehicle for me and my family. as soon as we bought it we drove over 400 miles from Illinois to Tennessee to visit family. We had to trouble with the suv and I actually love it. I rode really great, it has plenty of room, and is just a nice vehicle all around. well the week after we got back home which was the third week we had the suv I took my daughter to the park. as I was leaving I had an older gentleman come up to me asking if I had any transmission trouble. I told him that I just bought it but no problems so far that I knew of. He went into details of what was causing the problems and that almost everyone he had came across with the pathfinder had the transmission go out because of the defective part that Nissan was aware of. He told me to have my husband check it out and look up the details on the internet. So when I got home I told my husband and at first he didn't check into it because the truck was doing fine. well over the next few weeks I kept bring up he issue so finally yesterday he looked at the details and all the complaints online and went outside to check out things out. Come to find there was transmission fluid mixed in our coolant. He checked the transmission fluid and it looked fine just a little. It has shifted a little hard in to gear and it seemed not to have much power going up hills. So I'm sure that we will have to replace the transmission. We have only made ONE payment on this truck and I am just so disgusted that this is such a common complaint with Nissans and they know it but will not do anything to fix the problem for there customers. the complaints about this problem is all over the internet from 2005- 2010 and I have seen a couple of 2012 and 2013 models with the same problem occurring. So if Nissan has known of this defective part that causes this damage that cost a lot of money to fix why after all these years have they not fixed the problem. If I have to get a new transmission it's going to cost $5,000 that I do not have. I am lucky enough to have bought my Pathfinder from a good business man that is going to do what he can to help me and my family out, even thought Nissan should be the one to have the problem fixed. they have already extended the warranty from 60,000 to 80,000 miles due to a class action suit but for most of the Pathfinder owners this problem occurred after 80,000 miles which is has no help.There has only been a few accounts that this problem occurred under the warranty and those customers still complain of transmission trouble. I just hope and pray that there is some justice soon!!

- , East Peoria, Illinois, USA

Jun 212013

Pathfinder LS V6

click to see larger images

coolant leaked into transmission

My 2006 Nissan Pathfinder experienced sudden, catastrophic transmission failure. Complete loss of motive power and needed to be towed 75 miles for repairs. Mechanic diagnosed the problem as a failed transmission fluid cooler located in the radiator assembly that allowed coolant to mix with and contaminate the automatic transmission fluid, resulting in damaged internal transmission components and a damaged internal transmission computer.as well as the entire radiator core ad systems No warning signs leading up to or just prior to the failures. After numerous phone calls to various Nissan divisions, including the claims administrator, I was told by Nissan that they would not cover any repairs. Really deplorable customer service and several frustrating hours of calls. 3 weeks without my car and I am out $6,300 in repairs. My mechanic said he had never seen anything like it before and spent nearly 30 hours flushing sludge out of the cooling system. I considered trading it in and getting another brand. The trade in price was a joke. No dealer will touch a Pathfinder.

Outrageous that Nissan takes no responsibility for a factory defect that creates a safety hazard and costs loyal owners thousands of dollars. Sadly, this is my third and last Pathfinder.

- , Marbletown, NY, USA

May 052012

Pathfinder V6

I am very upset with Nissan. I have now purchased two Nissan's brand new and I have the Radiator /Transmission coolant issue which caused my 2006 to break down in the middle of the street. I have the same issue everyone else has. I was told that it would cost me $8000.00 from the dealer. I was referred to a mechanic that rebuilt my transmission, replaced the radiator and rerouted the hoses, placed a transmission cooler and had several flushes.

I really thought Nissan would value true customers but it wasn't the case at all. I have always done all of my services for 6 years but in this case it didn't matter at all. I have even had to replace two Catalytic Converters.

I definitely will be filing a lawsuit for the inconvenience, pain and suffering and repairs.

- , Visalia, CA, USA

Jul 022013

Pathfinder SE 4.0L V6

I purchased the vehicle at 89,400 miles assuming all service was up to date. My mistake. The next service was at 96,000 with no issues. Then at 103,000 the tranny gave out. My extended warranty that I had purchased would not cover it because I had missed the 90,000 major service. Just 600 miles after the purchase. Now I have come to find out that this is a serious problem with this design. So my only choice is to continue to pay for a vehicle that does not work or spend $5750.00 in hopes that it will be fixed so that I can at least drive it. I am a fan of Nissan but very shocked at this. I am shopping around maybe I can get someone to do it for less.

- , Lakewood, CA, USA

Jun 062013

Pathfinder SE 4.0L V6

Radiator failed letting coolant into transmission which has caused it to fail. I will have to replace both the radiator and the transmission at a cost of around $3,500.00. I really like this Pathfinder but it is useless to me now and I believe that Nissan should have to recall and repair all of them regardless of mileage. I had recieved the letter saying that they have extended the warranty (kind of) but the cut off was 80,000 miles, I believe, and it would cost me full price to have them fix it still yet even when it is Nissans fault this has happened. I was at 65,000 miles when I recieved the letter and had it checked and there was no problem at that time until now, and I have been keeping a close eye on it to make sure. Just my luck that it happended now and not then but it is still Nissan's fault.

- , Chaffee, Missouri, USA