CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

9.2

$4,177.00

1. replace transmission and radiator (63 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission and replace radiator (17 reports)
  4. replace radiator and transmission (7 reports)
  5. radiator and transmission cooler replaced (1 reports)
2006 Nissan Pathfinder transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jul 172014

Pathfinder V6

At first sign of a problem it was too late...transmission fried. Extended Warranty set to 80K I'm at 88,128. This will cost me $2500 out of pocket...I'm reading on the site that average mileage of the problem is over 100K so they set an 80,000 mile mark to cost the owner $2500 which is probably less than it costs them to fix it being they are the dealer.

I almost got killed because it chose to slip and stop the vehicle in an intersection when the light changed and cars were baring down on me at 50 mph. People thought I was a nut stopping in the intersection as I tried to limp my way out of harms way.

Thanking God my family was not with me...

Can't afford this with awful economy but have no choice.

I'm pretty screwed!!!

Nissan has totally let me down...

- , La Quinta, California, USA

Apr 272014

Pathfinder SE V6

We took it to a mechanic. He said the radiator was cracked and replaced the thermostat because it all of a sudden started running hot. About 2 weeks, later, we took it to another mechanic and he said that we need to replace the radiator and he needed to drain the transmission due to the mixture or coolant and tranny fluid. My wife bought the radiator, and took it to him to fix.

After about 2 weeks, the check engine light came on. Now, I'm in Afghanistan this whole time as a Paratrooper, she'd doing this on her own with 3 children and little to no money. Once the light came on, she took it to Auto Zone to get the code read. They said it had something to do with the cat converter. When she found that out, she took it to Nissan of Sanford, NC. The service dept ran a diagnostic test and told my wife that it need about $8,000 worth of work. It needed a new CAT Converter, a new transmission and new cooling system. Keep in mind, we have already paid more than $1000 putting a "band aid" on a more intense problem.

The service man at Nissan told my wife it is a ticking time bomb and that needed to get rid of that vehicle while it was still drivable.

Little did we know about the class action lawsuit for this vehicle. The Nissan Radiator Defect Class Action Lawsuit Settlement case is In re: Nissan Radiator/Transmission Cooler Litigation, Case No. 10-cv-07493, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

Now after reading all the disgruntled owners talking about "What about the owners over 100K". This is blatant disregard for loyal customers who apparentlt, HAD THE MISFORTUNE of their vehicle"MAKING" it past the 100K mark.

This is a skid mark on the underpants of an owner. Shame on you. Now, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place...either try to fix the issue and spend 8K, or have my wife trade out while Im in Afghanistan, deployed, sacrificing my time, my life for asses like Nissan to just crap on us. I can't believe this is happening.

- , Cameron, NC, USA

May 152014

Pathfinder 3.5L

PURCHASED FROM A GMC DEALER WITH 90,000 MILES IN NOV 20 2013 WITH 3 MONTHS WARRANTY, BROKE AFTER 6 MONTHS AND 5,000 MILES OF USE. NISSAN DEALER ASKED FOR $3,000

TO REPAIR.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 012013

Pathfinder

I have heard that several people are having problems with their transmission fluid getting radiator fluid in it. The classic signs and symptoms that have started with my 2006 Nissan pathfinder are: 1. horrendous shuddering when pressing on the gas to increase my speed, 2. occasional banging when my automatic car shifts into gear, 3. delay in speed when I attempt to pass. since all of this had started right after 100,000 miles a new transmission is not covered. I am a single mom who is a hospice nurse, I drive all day, having a reliable car puts food on the table for my kids. I don't have $3,000 to fix this problem. I could cry, I don't know what I am going to do. right now I just keep driving it knowing it is going to break down any day. I was informed by so many people that Nissan was a great company and manufactured a great vehicle when I decided to by this pathfinder. I am soooo disappointed!!! I will never buy another Nissan vehicle, I'm sorry, for the amount that I originally paid for this vehicle, it should not start falling apart at 108,000 miles.

- , Browns Mills, NJ, USA

Apr 092014

Pathfinder LS 3.0L V6

having problems with bucking/hesitating took to mechanic was told radiator was cracked and ruined transmission much to my surprise this was not the first car he had in for same problem.looked on web site found several others.wish they would have notified owners of pathfinders if they knew there was an issue.if they had this repair would have cost me nothing if i knew about it 30-days prior since I'm only 700 miles over 80,000 miles

- , Ocean View, New Jersey, USA

Apr 252014

Pathfinder LE V6

On the Nissan website it stated that beginning in October 2012 they were going to start notifying owners of pathfinders from years 2005-2010 via mail about the changes in warranty and the extension of the warranty due to the defective radiator. I never received any sort of notification. Furthermore, the defect is not occurring until the vehicles are reaching 80,000 plus miles. extending the warranty to include up to 80,000 miles does NOT affect or help the MAJORITY of owners. Most vehicles made in the years affected are just now starting to reach this level of mileage. I would expect there to continue to be issues with the defective radiator as all of these models continue to "age" and the mileage increases. This isn't going away!

This is a Nissan manufacturing issue; we should not have to pay a dime for the repairs. I'm a teacher and I work very hard to pay for my 2006 pathfinder, which is ironically close to being paid off. It's not fair to have to incur these very, very expensive additional costs just to maintain a car I have taken very good care of over the years. Dear Nissan, take responsibility for your mistakes. Make it right!

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

May 252014

Pathfinder V6

I noticed a shudder when the car was shifting, My mechanic test drove it and sent me to the transmission shop. The gentleman there told me that it was a transmission problem. He also said that this was a common problem with this year Pathfinder. He thought that since this was a common problem that Nissan had extended the warranty. I later found that the warranty had been extended but not enough to include my truck. Very disappointed in Nissan, I have owned 4 Pathfinders and several other cars made by Nissan. I thought they would take better care of loyal customers.

- , Coventry, RI, canada

Jun 232014

Pathfinder LE 4.0L V6

My frustration is there is no manufacturer recall created after the issue was brought to their attention in 2012. The appropriate course of action by Nissan would have been to issue a recall. Instead, those of us that were never alerted to the issue are now covering the bill. Everyone is up in arms about GM. However, what about the companies, like Nissan, that fail to do anything? At least GM was able to swallow their pride and take care of their customers. I would assume that most people will feel the pinch when they have to spring thousands of dollars to fix a vehicle, with an issue that cannot be ignored.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 162014

Pathfinder SE

I have lost all faith in Nissan due to this issue. Corporate giants like Nissan will never take the fall for their obvious mistakes.

- , SAN FRANCISCO, California, USA

Jun 062014

Pathfinder LE 4.0L V6

Had my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE serviced at the dealership on March 2014 and had the transmission fluid changed because the service managed said that it looked bad. My Pathfinder was making a noise similar to running over the rumble strip on the side of the road. It stopped after have the fluid changed for a while. The noise returned and I started to read on line about the radiator problems and checked my radiator and found a milky reddish color in it. I now have to put out $2500 to have radiator and transmission replaced because of a know defect in the radiators which Nissan did not recall!!!! If it is a know defective part & Nissan knows about it they should be responsible for paying for the cost of the repairs. What a crock of sh*t. I owned Nissans for the last 20 years because they were very reliable. Not pissed of about the problem, I am pissed off about Nissans no owning up to the problem and making things right. PURCHASED MY LAST NISSAN !!!! A word to everyone out ther is Nissan does no give a SH*T about its customers!!

- , Hummelstown, PA, USA

Jun 062014

- , Hummelstown, PA, USA

Mar 212014

Pathfinder

Everyone needs to get together and file a class action lawsuit against Nissan. Maybe if enough people get in on it they will have to do something. The National transportation and Safety department has been working on this for a couple of years but said they didn't have enough people to complain. SO people, let's get on it. There was a class action lawsuit against them last year but of course no one bothered to let me know. Apparently none of you knew about it either. I say blast them on CNN and every other news station that we can get it on.

- , Marion, VA, USA

Jun 072014

Pathfinder LE 4.0L V6

Well, unfortunately we fell victim to the infamous coolant/transmission cross contamination. We purchased the 2006 Pathfinder in 2009 from Nissan dealership with approx 46,000 miles on it. This was a certified used vehicle and until this problem we haven't had any. What makes this so bad is we still like the Pathfinder, very comfortable nice vehicle. But like so many others we are UNHAPPY with the way Nissan has handled this problem.

We had the transmission and radiator replaced and so far so good, drives and runs like new. But it shouldn't have cost us a dime! Nissan knew about this problem and should have been proactive and recalled before a Class Action Suit was taken out against them! I'm very disappointed in them for that. My family have owned several Nissan's and they have always been dependable vehicles but I would have a hard time recommending anyone buy a Nissan now. And seeing the problems of the new design Pathfinder with the CVT I def. wouldn't have one. I hope and pray that there is enough complaints that they reimburse the "copay" $2500 to us for having to replace radiator and transmission with only 88,000 miles!

- , Rome, GA, USA

Jun 012014

Pathfinder SE

• CVT transmission

Within last 3 weeks - had fuel sensor/catalytic converter replaced, then rad replaced and transmission flushed 3X - did not fix and now transmission shot. Total cost to date = $3000 (CDN). Another $3500 ++ to replace the transmission. Plus, enormous hassle of having vehicle towed 100 KMs to dealership 3 separate times. Nissan Canada will not do anything.

I was surprised to learn that extended warranty is VIN specific although as vehicle has 165,000 KMs (100,000 miles), I would not have qualified for the extended warranty. I would have expected at least 250,000 KMs before needing to sink huge repair dollars. Suffice to say, I would not ever buy or recommend a Nissan product. Conversely, I have had 3 Mazdas as a second vehicle and have been delighted.

- , McDonalds Corners, ON, canada

May 272014

Pathfinder LS 4.0L

Same issue as all others, drive a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder and was happy until 125tsd Miles never a big repair. Now I have the same issue, faulty radiator kills/silents the transmission. Did visit the dealer for every service even as the problem starts little by little. First an unpleasant shifting, Dealer recommends a transmission flush before the official service interval, done. After we are still not happy as we can tell the transmission shifts different as we did know it from before.

See the Nissan dealer again, they write the order with the customer complaint, “Customer complains about transmission problems”. Written Statement of the dealer, Transmission checked no issues found. Some miles later, total failure of the transmission, special the DCU. Good Customer, will not see now Dealer again but a lawyer.

- , Simpsonville, SC, USA

Jun 032014

Pathfinder V6

Why are manufacturers allowed to sell faulty merchandise and nothing is done unless many lives are lost. Nissan motors knew there was a problem and they didn't care for us suckers. It started with the 2005 models and the still continuing to use these bad parts in the Pathfinder , the consumer report does nothing to protect the consumer. GM had to recall their bad cars, why didn't anyone make Nissan do the same?

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

May 152014

Pathfinder

I am really disappointed with Nissan. They have lost one more customer unless they take care of this problem. Nissan should pay me back for the $5000 bill.

- , Austin, TX, USA

May 302014

Pathfinder

NISSAN REALLY NEEDS TO PAY FOR ALL THE REPAIRS. THEY ARE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM. IF NOT FIXED BY THEM I WILL NEVER BY FROM NISSAN AGAIN. I HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THEM UNTIL NOW

- , Bowie, MD, USA

Jan 012014

Pathfinder ES 3.2L V6

we can't drive faraway. we only used for town .between 40 to 60 miles hearts nose. and 1hrs driving star smelly burn.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

May 012014

Pathfinder S 4.0L

Tried selling the car and the guy who was going to purchase it pointed the problem out to me and now I can't afford to fix it. I noticed today this is a huge problem with model. Want them to pay for it.

- , Warren, MI, USA