- August 22: Honda Upgrades 2015 Honda Fit Front Bumpers To Pass Crash Test
- August 3: Honda Accord Air Bags Inflate When People Close the Doors
- July 9: Acura Recalls Cars With Fiery Halogen Headlights
- June 23: Honda Recalls 2 Million Cars With Defective Air Bags
1998 Honda Accord
fuel system Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
Worst 1998 Accord fuel system Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- gas pump does not supply enough gas to the injector1
- intermittently won't start1
- oil dipstick smells like gas1
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Other25
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Storage: Tank Assembly19
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Other: Storage: Fuel Gauge System13
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline10
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Storage: Tank Assembly: ...3
- NHTSA: Fuel/Propulsion System3
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Other: Storage: Tank Assembly: ...2
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Carburetor System1
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Delivery: Hoses, Lines/Piping, ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 1998 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.