CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

9.3

$2,997.00

2. paid for a new transmission (46 reports)
  3. replace transmission (37 reports)
  4. honda paid partial "goodwill repair" (14 reports)
  5. complete rebuild (12 reports)
  6. fixed with new warranty from transmission specialty shop (9 reports)
2004 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Sep 302015

Accord EX-L V6

Was driving at 100km/h on the freeway when the transmission shifted down for no reason. Wouldn't shift back up, just high RPM's if I hit the gas. So I pulled over, shut the car off, and waited a couple of minutes. Drove away and reached my destination.

Same thing happened twice on my way home. I tried to use the car for a few more days but it got to the point where it was pretty much undrivable.

Finally limped over to the dealership, and was told the torque converter was broken, which required an entire replacement. They offered a new Honda tranny for $5500, or a rebuild for $4500. Left and had a couple of independent shops look at it, ended up getting it done for just under $3700. Came with a 2 year / 20k kms warranty.

Wouldn't have bought the car if I researched a bit more and saw these problems.

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jan 042016

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Honda had a safety recall for the 5 speed automatic transmission on many of its cars back in 2004. My car was supposed to be included in the recall based on the VIN numbers listed in the recall documents on file with the NHTSA back in 2004. Honda developed a fix, an oil jet kit that would provide the extra lubrication required to prevent over heating and prevent premature failure and in rare cases a dangerous transmission lockup.

This complaint is more about Honda motor company of America and the way they behaved when I called inquiring why my call which was recalled never actually got recalled. My VIN matches the range on letter Honda sent to NHTSA and also in they're service bulletin (04-037). yet they sent me notice notice of recall and never intended to. somehow my VIN was excluded from the recall and Honda maintains that my VIN is not affected even though it fits the VIN range. Honda also says they don't know why it was not included but their records said my VIN is not included and so therefore it is not included. Well my transmission failed at 90,000 miles where most honda transmissions go well over 150000 miles, before requiring significant repairs. So here I am stuck with a useless Honda which will cost 4-6K to fix and Honda says the bill goes to me. I'm wondering how many more of these crap transmissions are out there getting ready to stand, dupe and possible injure or kill someone and Honda doesn't care. You know I'm done with Honda.

- , Bremerton, USA

Dec 282015

Accord EX 3.0L

I LOVE HONDA VEHICLES, BUT I'M WONDERING AFTER BUYING THIS USED 2004 HONDA ACCORD EX WAS IT WORTH IT. AT FIRST IT RAN LIKE A DREAM AND REAL QUIET. IT TOOK ME TO WORK, ERRANDS WITHOUT A GLITCH. I WENT TO FAIRFAX AND BACK WITH NO PROBLEM. I HAD DONE ALL NECESSARY TUNE UPS AND EXCESS BY HAVING TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP AND OTHER BELTS REPLACED AT AN EXPENSE OF $2,000. NEVER DID IT OCCUR TO ME THAT I WOULD BE FORKING OUT MORE MONEY ON THE TRANSMISSION.

I WONDERED IF I PUT MONEY IN THE WRONG THINGS TO BEGIN WITH. BUT AFTER READING SO MANY COMPLAINTS ON THIS PARTICULAR HONDA MODEL, AND ON TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS, I AM NOW PART OF THE CLUB OF DISGRUNTLED 2004 HONDA ACCORD OWNERS.

I AM SADDENED THAT HONDA WOULD IGNORE ITS CUSTOMERS PLIGHT TO HAVE THIS TRANSMISSION PROBLEM FIXED ONCE AND FOR ALL. I STILL DON'T KNOW IF MY TRANSMISSION REBUILD WILL BE FOR GOOD. MY TCS LIGHT IS STILL ON, BUT THE HONDA DEALER SAYS IT MAY JUST NEED RESETTING. TRANSMISSIONS AMERICA GOT ALL NEW UP TO DATE PARTS FROM HONDA, BUT THE GUESSING GAME IS ON.

ON TOP OF THAT I HAVE NOW A HEAD GASKET LEAK. ANOTHER HEAD ACHE AND MORE MONEY. I HATE THE SMELL OF BURNT OIL FUMES. HONDA SHOULD KNOW THAT THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION ARE THE HEART OF THE VEHICLE. IF HONDA WANTS CUSTOMERS, IT BETTER DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR ITS CUSTOMERS. HONDA WAY BACK IN THE DAYS WAS KNOWN FOR QUALITY, BUT IN TODAY'S WORLD QUALITY MAY BE OUT THE WINDOW.

- , Roanoke, VA, USA

Dec 152015

Accord ES V6

My 2004 Honda Accord has been well maintained. I was intending it to be my daughter's car who will turn 16 in two months. Fortunately the transmission failed on the highway and I was able to pull off safely on the shoulder. I lost a day of work and so far an estimated $3,100 including the tow back to town. I am fortunate this didn't happen two months later when my new driving daughter would be behind the wheel and driving in town traffic.

Based on the amount of comments on the internet, I assume there is some kind of class action law suit and would welcome assistance.

- , Lincoln, NE, USA

Oct 192015

Accord EX V6

Bought this car used from Honda Dealership, three months later starter went out, electrical problems happening, and now..........

Loud noise coming from engine. Had two different shops check it out and both of them thinks it's a manufacturing defect. Torque converter shot along with a bad flex plate. Service center at Honda won't fix it so I guess I'm stuck with a $2400 fix.......

Third Honda I've owned, love Honda's. Until now!!! They SERIOUSLY need to do a recall and fix this MESS!!

- , Maple Valley, USA

Nov 302015

Accord EX V6

Haven't had transmission fixed. Only got estimates and haven't decided to get it fixed or go look for another car. I love my car, but after reading all the problems with the transmission, probably won't look at another HONDA!!!! No warning, just driving on interstate and it started slipping.

- , Yukon, OK, USA

Oct 012015

Accord EX 3.0L V6

just upset that a HONDA's transmission would go out at 130,000 miles......who can afford $3700 to fix that?

- , Scottsbluff, NE, USA

Oct 092015

Accord EX 3.0L V6

HERE I AM ON THIS WEBSITE WITH SO MANY OTHER PEOPLE WHO PURCHASED A 2004 HONDA ACCORD EX V6 3.0 ,THINKING YOU MADE A RIGHT CHOICE IN THE CAR YOU PURCHASED AND HERE WE ALL ARE HAVING TO PUT ALL THIS MONEY INTO A DEFECTED TRANSMISSION THAT CLEARLY IS A SERIOUS DEFECT THAT HONDA CORP IS AND WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR. THE DEFECT THAT WILL COST THE PERSON A ESTIMATED AMOUNT OF $2200 TO $2500TO FIX. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER HONDA AGAIN.

- , van Nuys, CA, USA

Jul 162015

Accord EX 3.0L

The transmission problem that I experienced with my 2004 Honda Ex 3.0 L is really annoying. While on the run I do not feel any problem in the transmission. I stop at a traffic light and then try to move on picks up speed feel gears change from first to two and then three only. Do not shift to forth and fifth. I manage to go short distances in rural areas without a big hassle.

Dealership need $5200 to replace the transmission. But after reading the complaints from other victims of this problem, new transmission can go through the same problem down the road. Now I need to stop the engine at every stop sign or light and crank up the engine and proceed as normal and noticed gears shift from first normally to fifth gear and runs normal until I come to the stage of braking. After braking the speed I cannot speed up by stepping on gas. Cut the engine completely and then start again and proceed.

This gives me the feeling that the problem is not the transmission but the ECM Electrical command module. But I could not locate this module if there is any in the Engine compartment. The command signals for the ABS unit works fine and auto cruise commands works fine. I appreciate if anyone could highlight on this situation.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Jul 222015

Accord EX-L V6

Seems Honda has had several issues with this year with the V^. I believe they should do a recall!!!

- , Easley, SC, USA

Aug 212015

Accord EX-L 3.0L V6

Bought my 2004 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Automatic with only 52,000 miles on it. Absolutely loved it! Only thing I did to it was regular maintenance and new starter. One day was on my way to work, now had 101,000 miles on it and boom, the transmission started going crazy. Up-shifted and downshifted constantly. Then barely went at all. All the lights, engine light, TCM light, ABS light...whole dash lit up! Literally, limped into the parking lot of work.

That is when I called my friend and master mechanic. Got it towed and checked out at the shop. It was done! After doing a lot of research found out there were many complaints about the 2003-2007 Accord V6 transmissions. Blown away actually! Never did I think Honda had so many complaints. Had many Honda's in the past. 2 Preludes ('84, '85) 2 Accords ('90, '92). All 4cylinders!

I decided to get a transmission from a group in California...I live in PA. They were Honda transmission specialists that do a total rebuild and said to have corrected the manufacturing issues with these transmissions.

Shipped it here and the core back, had it installed and beautiful. As the miles were put on this transmission, something seemed not quite right. Here it is, now 11k on this transmission and all the lights went on including the D4 drive light started flashing. It reacted much different than the first time. As I found out it went into a "Limp" mode. At this time the engine light was on and the TCM light as well.

Had my mechanic check it out and he did a hard reset. All lights off! 20 minutes down the road...all back on. Codes were showing differently this time. Solenoid A, then B, then A and B, then nothing. Replaced the A solenoids, and reset and things were back to normal...drove all day! Next day, the same thing again! Again limped to my mechanic. Now another code! So, replace solenoid B. Good to go...ran like someone put a turbo in it! Chirped going into 2nd gear! We both looked at each other...like really! Wow! Decided to drive home and half way there, bam again!!! At this point...I'm not feeling this! Back to my mechanic...this car has been now in the shop for two weeks. The California Honda place was adamant that this was electrical!!! Seemed to me that would be the correct assessment? So now I am replacing all six solenoids. Praying this is the issue and not the ECU...not sure what else to do but drive this car to the dealer and show them all the complaints...and demand nicely at first a good trade in value. If they even want to consider me a life long Honda customer...they better! If not, everywhere and everyone will hear my story how Honda doesn't care about the quality of their cars. If they make an inferior product with this many complaints they should take care of the issue! Period!!! Verdict to be determined. I'll be following up!

- , Slatington, PA, USA

Sep 062015

Accord LX 3.2L V6

Thought Hondas were reliable. Searching the web find out 2004 Accord is a dud. Like the car but now am concerned about Honda reliability. Just driving in the US coming back to Canada. Needed 2 tow trucks one to the border and one from the Canadian side home..A 45 minute trip took 67 hours. Still don't know the repair/replacement cost? I'll keep you posted.

- , Trail, BC, Canada

Mar 272015

Accord EXL 3.0L V6

No indication that the transmission was going to fail, there was no prior slipping. Just completely died on me one day in the middle of traffic. had to get home on a high way and restart the car and accelerate as much as I could and coast after it died until I got home.. ridiculous just bought the car used a little over a year ago.

- , Ambler, PA, USA

Mar 062015

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Bought this car 2 years ago from a reputable dealer, just had transmission failure today, the car will not move... Took it to my local transmission shop, come to find out the transmission has been replaced before with a re-manufactured transmission. I am having to come out of pocket $2300 today to have yet another transmission put in this car, making it a total of 3 transmissions that this car with 172,000 miles has had.

I am infuriated with my call to Honda, they told me they have no documented history of this year having any issues on file with them....HUH? Have they been listening to their customers or just blatantly ignoring them..? Type in 2004 Honda Accord transmission issues and there are 717,000 matches. WHAT?!?!?!

Whatever, never buying a Honda again. I had a 98 Toyota 4Runner that I gave up for this piece of crap. BTW, my 4Runner had over 360,000 miles and the only thing I had to replace was the radiator and the lower control arm. Man, am I sick to my stomach now for ever letting go of my Toyota. Guess what I am going to buy today..? 2006 Toyota 4Runner, woot, WOOT!! So excited!! Goodbye Honda... Never again.....

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Mar 052015

Accord EX V6

WITHOUT WARNING IN AFTERNOON RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC, PRESSED ACCELERATOR TO ENTER EXPRESS LANE, RPM'S WENT INTO RED, WITHOUT INCREASING SPEED, THEN JERKED INTO GEAR, RAN FOR ABOUT 15 MILES THEN CAR DECELERATED. GOD WAS WITH ME! I WAS ABLE TO COAST TO SIDE OF ROAD. . .WOULD NOT GO IN ANY GEAR. CUT CAR OFF TO CALL FOR HELP. WHILE WAITING FOR ASSISTANCE DECIDED TO TRY AGAIN. CAR STARTED AND I CREPT IN EMERGENCY LANE FOR APPOX. 2 MILES TO EXIT RAMP AND SAFETY. I'VE HAD A 1999 AND A 2001 HONDA ACCORD BOTH V-6'S, EACH GAVE ME GREAT SERVICE. I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS 2004 MODEL!

- , Hoschton, GA, USA

Feb 282015

Accord LX V6

I am the type of car owner who drives a car until it is no longer driveable. I purchased the Honda because of the company's reputation, believing I would get many years of performance from this car. I serviced the car exactly as Honda recommended and have the records to prove it. At no time has there been an indication that the transmission was at risk until it failed completely while I was driving on the interstate. I was fortunate enough to get the the shoulder and to an off ramp before needing the police to push me to a safe location, because the car would no longer go into any gear.

I feel like Honda has let me down. After doing some research it is apparent that Honda has had issues with this transmission however, when I called Honda they told me " it is not in the company's best interest to assist" since the car is 10 years old.

I am truly disappointed and can emphatically state that unless Honda is willing to assist, I will never purchase another Honda vehicle.

- , Decatur, GA, USA

Feb 072015

Accord LX V6

I want to know whether there is a recall for this transmission failures for Honda Accord 2004 V6?

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Oct 222014

Accord EX 2.4L 4

No warning.....just quit. Bought this car for my son so he would have a "reliable" auto. Have spend more money fixing this car then ANY other car I have ever owned. I will NEVER buy another Honda, ever. Cannot believe that Consumer Reports gives this car such a high rating....thinnest metal and cheapest plastic I have seen in a car.

- , Perrysburg, OH, USA

Feb 132015

Accord LX 3.2L V7

Total transmission failure without ANY warning, rush hour, extremely busy traffic, car full of passengers; many hours of work to have towed and achieve rental car.

Honda will provide NO help with any 'good will' on repair. Honda wants approximately $5500 for transmission.

My mechanic, using Honda OEM parts, fixed for under $2000.

Honda mechanical quality has significantly degraded since 1990's. No longer a good rating from me about their products or repairs.

I WILL NOT purchase another Honda product.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 302015

Accord V6

Have taken it in several times about not running right when it was under warranty. Now that the warranty is up transmission went out. Not happy took it in yesterday Honda dealership said to drive it home and think about if I want fix it. I almost got killed car stopped in traffic. Have taken to dealership several times in the last five years saying it has a funny smell and no pick up. Honda should goodwill and pay for the repairs

- , Temecula, CA, USA