2013 Hyundai Elantra
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.
Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.
Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.
The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates.
Worst 2013 Elantra Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- brakes problems48NHTSA complaints: 54
- wheels / hubs problems36NHTSA complaints: 87
- fuel system problems31NHTSA complaints: 10
- engine problems26NHTSA complaints: 38
- suspension problems22NHTSA complaints: 52
- interior accessories problems16NHTSA complaints: 3
- electrical problems16NHTSA complaints: 28
- steering problems12NHTSA complaints: 61
- windows / windshield problems9NHTSA complaints: 4
- body / paint problems6NHTSA complaints: 19
- transmission problems6
- AC / heater problems4
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 23
- exterior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 21
- lights problems3NHTSA complaints: 20
- drivetrain problems2NHTSA complaints: 8
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 13
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Hyundai Elantra Model Years
Curious how the 2013 Elantra compares to other years?
Check out our Hyundai Elantra overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Elantra.