CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates.

8.8

$3,000.00

2013 Hyundai Elantra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012013

Elantra

My 2013 Hyundai Elantra gets 18-20% less mileage (city/hwy/combined) than originally advertised (I measure mileage by filling the tank up and calculating based off my odometer). I told the dealer and Hyundai Canada and they said there were no reported problems they need to fix and the car is fine. Then they fed me the regular excuses like, your car isn't 'worked in' (I have 30k now), or you don't drive it efficiently.

The class action lawsuit seems to have been cutoff right around my model VIN. Has anyone considered another class action lawsuit for 2013 Hyundai owners that were not covered in the original settlement? Sign me up !

- , B, NS, Canada

Sep 162014

Elantra

Mileage has been down year to year throughout the lease, which began August 2012. The drop was extreme, however, since we moved and my commute was cut from 25 miles to 7 each way, where in the space of 1 fill-up, my mileage went from about 27 MPG, which itself was inadequate and below par to me, to around 20 mpg (The lying gauge usually indicates 23.5 thereabouts, but it always showed me more than I really got)..

After a wasteful back and forth with the dealer about it, both the service manager and Hyundai itself finally decided that my mileage stinks because I don't drive long enough. So I should maybe take a 15 mile out of the way detour to and from work every day to increase my mileage? What kind of @#$% is that?

I should warm up the car for about 10 minutes before driving? What am I, driving a 1965 Oldsmobile that it has to sit idling cold for an eternity before it will move? I start it up in 70 plus degree weather every morning. It needs to be warmed up? WHAT KIND OF S@%T IS THAT?

So I'm punished by Hyundai for having a blessedly short commute. If you drive only 7 or so miles each way, you can only get about 20 MPG. My old 1986 Grand Marquis could nearly match that.

No solution and no satisfaction. They lied through their teeth about the mileage, period, no discussion!

Very unhappy.

- , Charlotte, nc, USA

Apr 132014

Elantra LTD 4 cyl

Manufacturers estimated MPG should to be close to MPG. Hyundai uses as a selling point for their cars an inflated MPG .

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Nov 282013

Elantra

I bought my 2013 hyundai elantra in November 2013, within weeks of having it I noticed the fuel gauge is inaccurate. I learned this by being on the side of the road when my hyundai dashboard said I had 42 miles to E left. I took it to the dealership the issue was never resolved. I was told they recalibrated it. I took it to the dealership in Raleigh and was told that is common with hyundai.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Nov 242012

Elantra Gls Pzev 4 cyl

The sticker shows 32 MPG combined,28 city, we were told it would be closer to the 32 MPG for city. I average about 26 in the summer, in the winter I'm getting anywhere from 19-22. Terrible, terrible!!

- , East Amherst, New York, USA

Apr 172014

Elantra ES 1.8L 4-cyl

I'm getting 18mpg city driving. Just horrible considering I should be getting 28 city. We drive it to and from school (about 5 miles each way) daily. We drive it normally. I would never have bought this car if I new the gas mileage would be so poor.

- , Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Nov 202013

Elantra Limited 1.8L 145 Hp 4c

I wanted this car. Now I would like to drive it off a cliff. I bought it because I thought I would get 28-36 MPG. Ha! I have checked since day one and get 23-25 max. I now have 6000 miles on my car. I take it in to Tustin Hyundai Ca.and they say nothing is wrong with my new car. I show them my receits from every fill up. ???? It's got to be how I drive. I've been told I drive like a grandma so??? This is so misleading to consumers.

I wanted to get at least 30 to justify the buy of the car for the car payment monthly. I use to drive a SUV that got 16 MPGS. I guess I should have just kept it due to the fact I'm not saving ANYTHING. To top it off that's NOT all that is wrong with my NEW car. Brakes squeak, can not run AC and have car in drive without the car shaking like crazy, blue tooth doesn't work (and this problem they DO know about) but not sure when Bluetooth will be fixed. I said put in a diff. radio NOW. That is a safety issue because I drive all over and need to talk to clients, not use my phone which I can get a ticket for. Customer service there at Tustin Ca. is BAD. GM and the Service MNGR both do not care. Lemon law I guess here I come.............

- , Tustin, CA, USA

Nov 242012

Elantra ES 1.8L

The mpg is lousy. I drive half highway and some city and have yet to avg. 28mpg. That's with Eco on.

- , Emmaus, PA, USA

Dec 012013

Elantra Gls Pzev 1.8L

One key factor in me buying the Elantra was that the sticker says 32mpg city/hwy, 28 city, 38 hwy. I am currently getting 20-21mpg.

I live in a very congested area and my 17 mile commute each way to work takes an hour, so its all stop and go. Seeing that 28mpg made me very excited, but turns out its the same, actually slightly worse than my old cars were. I had a 2000 Grand Prix which averaged 22mpg and a 2011 Accord which was about 24mpg. And they were midsized cars with a much larger gas tank, prob 18 gallons. So now im getting a worse mpg and going to the gas station almost twice as often to fill up, i think this car has about an 11 gallon tank.

- , W Babylon, NY, USA

Apr 092013

Elantra GT 1.8L 4 CYL

I purchased this car because the fuel economy was supposed to be 27mpg city 37 hwy. When the tank is full the distance to empty isn't even 300 miles. I drove the car from Florida to New York which is all highway and only got about 22mpg. I brought it in for service to complain and Hyundai said there was nothing wrong with it. Hyundai has been cited before for poor gas mileage for their 2012 models. Shouldn't they also look into 2013? I have two big cars that get better gas mileage than this car. Are there other complaints like this?

- , Holbrook, NY, USA

Jan 032014

Elantra LTD 1.8L

1. The EPA estimate has never been = the real MPG. I didn't expect it.
  2. I did expect the auto computer to correctly calculate the actual MPG but it does not. We're not idiots out here. I've been calculating my own mileage on other cars for years. So, remove the program that gives totally inaccurate results.
  3. The EPA estimates are also created under ideal conditions. I did my own test years ago with my last car. When I drove on the highway at 55 mph consistently, my mileage improved. Who does that these days? I do drive at fairly consistent speeds (slightly variable for the break-in) but they've never been this off. I tested my last vehicle at a couple of other higher speeds and the mileage dropped. But again, do you want to buy a car based on fiction or non-fiction (liars either way).
  4. It's really time that two lawsuits - against the EPA or just don't put the mileage out there. Against Hyundai for improper (marketing scheme, I guess) programming. An educated guess says the programmers did exactly what they were told by the company.

I should've bought the Subaru but the mileage would be worse but closer to EPA estimates. That will be the next car and that's coming up soon.

- , Asheville, NC, USA

Oct 122013

Elantra GS 4.0L

Wow like everybody else in here I bought for the mileage and I'm getting 25-26 mpg on the highway. I commute and the bulk of my driving is highway , this stinks, at the mpg I'm getting i can get a decent truck!! If there is a class action suit out there please let me know!!!!

- , Brick, NJ, USA

Sep 152013

Elantra ES 4 cyl

Gas mileage nowhere near what is claimed by the manufacturer. Could it have something to do with the word KIA stamped on the engine it came with? If I wanted a Kia I would have bought one! Actually, it says Hyundai AND Kia on the engine, as Hyundai bought Kia from what I understand. But the nameplate on the back of the car says Hyundai, not Hyundai Kia. I'm suspecting that they took an underpowered Kia 4 cyl engine and put it in the Elantra for the 2013 year, as would explain why the sudden surge in poor mileage complaints. I also suspect that hyundai would rather lie to the public than tell the truth and deal with the fact that they are not living up to government mandates for improved gas mileage. But deal with the dealership and see how they deal with you, citing that poor driving habits are the cause for the poor mileage. They stress their 10 year drivetrain warranty, but can't back up their mileage claims. I didn't go to buy a ten year warranty, I wanted to buy a car that would be reliable for ten years! I am very sorry that I purchaced the Hyundai Elantra, and suggest to potential buyers to avoid it.

Update from Nov 27, 2013: Took my Elantra on a long distance road trip. I already knew the car was falling far short of epa mileage estimates for around town, but wanted to test its highway mileage. We drove, nonstop, for a couple hours with the cruize set at 65 mph in good weather. The onboard computer showed that we averaged 39.8 mph, which anyone would be happy with; however, this was not the case. Starting with a full tank and recording the mileage, we drove to our destination, recorded the new mileage and refilled the tank. Dividing the amount of gas to fill the tank the second time into the difference between both mileage readings we came up with only 33.4 mpg, a difference of 6.4 mpg from what the computer was relaying to us. The mpg on the way back were the same. I can't wait to hear the dealership's explanation for this one. Hyundai is lying to us and supplies us with the means to prove it. Whether on the highway or around town, the Elantra is getting around 6 mpg less than its computer is leading us to believe. How do they get away with this?

Update from Dec 12, 2013: GREAT NEWS! Turns out that my poor gas mileage WAS my poor driving habits. I actually got 40.5 mpg on my Elantra while on a highway trip! All I had to do was burn 91 octane gas, which costs 40 cents more per gallon than the 87 octane that is recommended by the manufacturer for this vehicle! Oh, and one more thing; I had to drive with the cruize set at 55 mph on the interstate with the fear of 18 wheelers flying up behind me and running over me for the entire road trip! Highways in Illinois allow you to drive as low as 45 mph; no telling how great the mileage would be then! Of course, the Elantra's computer showed that we were getting 46.8 mpg. So at least the lies are consistent. If anyone dares test drive their Elantra at 45 mph on the highway, let me know your mpg results. Just be ready to be run over by 18 wheelers and get plenty of dirty looks along with some creative sign language!

- , Rockdale, IL, USA

Sep 072013

Elantra GLS G4nb

This car was purchased on 11/03/2013, one day after 11/02/2013, when the P-15 2012 Hyundai Elantra MPG Champagne ended. The Hyundai MPG Call Center....report that: We have found that your 2013 Elantra does not qualify for the program for the following reason: It was purchased after November 2, 2012.

My having an average of 24 to 25 mpg, for all highway and city driving is very POOR..MPG. A Hyundai MPG LIE.

- , Palmetto, FL, USA

Nov 262012

Elantra GT

Like the rest of the upset Hyundai Elantra owners who were fooled into buying a car on the basis of it's 40 MPG fuel efficiency, I am completely apalled at this finding from the EPA. What is worst is that Hyundai has a MPG campaign to reimburse owners for the erroneous MPG estimates, but are only taking responsibility for a difference of 1 MPG!!!! The reimbursement amount is less than $100 per year while we suffer at the gas pump. I bought my car a few months ago and am looking into joining a class action suit, but also into the possibility of returning my vehicle since it is losing re-sale value. Has anyone had any success with returning the car yet? FYI: If You do decide to join the MPG campaign, it does not preclude you from also joining the class action suit. I think Hyundai should allow new car owners who have bought vehicles within the past few months to return the car given the news was released on Nov. 2, 2012.

- , Santa Clara, CA, USA

May 312013

Elantra Limited 1.8L

I purchased the 2013, Hyundai Elantra with the assumption I would get around 31-33 miles average. The mileage listed on the sticker was 28 city/38 Highway. This was the only reason I purchased this vehicle I was looking for something to save on fuel. Prior to this vehicle I had the Sonata and was averaging 24mpg but never went under that, it was better at times which was good because the city mpg on the Sonata is 24. Back to the Elantra, we drive mostly highway (70%) (30% City) and get 28mpg or less, right now it is at 26mpg (checked the dash board last night) and have never gotten 38 not even on a freeway trip recently. This vehicle is bad on fuel mileage I believe we were ripped off. I want to take it back and get the Sonata more power and the fuel is more in line with what they said you would get. Recommendation DO NOT PURCHASE THE Elantra! Hyundai needs to be held accountable for their deception about their MPG on fuel for the Elantra 2013.

- , Oxnard, CA, USA

Dec 092012

Elantra GT 2.0L

Drove this car on PURE highways for a whole weekend and got ~30mpg [estimates are 39mpg Hwy]

City mileages is closer to 24 which is the same as my [sold] 12 yr old car this one replaced. Bought this car to have MUCH better mileage but it's JUST NOT THERE! Meeting with Dealer next week to discuss.

Update from Jul 30, 2013: Fuel system still not giving me anything close to the reported [Moroni sticker] values.

I get 24 city [which is usually combined City & Highway] and a maximum of 34 highway in PERFECT conditions.

Otherwise I get 29 - 32 on PURE highway driving.

This is NOT good enough. I intentionally bought this car for the hig mileage it promised. I had hoped to get mileage closer to the 40 vs 30 and it's JUST NOT THERE! I would have bought a Hybrid if I were only going to get 30mpg!

- , Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 262012

Elantra Limited 1.8L

use much much more gas than stated by dealer, 30% more!!!. The worst is that they announced in the news that the difference is only 0.3L/100km. I checked that is 2L/100km difference as stated. Cheating customer and still try to hide the actual fact. very disappointed of Hyundai.

- , London, ON, Canada

Dec 012012

Elantra Limited

Hyundai admitted that they misstated the mileage on this car (33/40) by one mile, but our mileage is consistently 12 under the ratings. (21 city, 28 highway). When I call, they say it's the way I drive or all kinds of other unknowable problems that aren't their fault, but 12 miles under is pretty extreme.

I love the car otherwise, but feel absolutely betrayed by this problem, because mileage was a KEY factor in making my decision to buy this car.

- , Burlington, VT, USA

Jul 172012

Elantra

I bought the car because of gas mileage. I know several people who average 5 mpg or more than me. I do mostly open road driving and I'm lucky if I get 25 mpg. Most people I know or talk with average 30 or more. Hyundai says take it to the dealer and the dealer says they can't find anything wrong.

- , Marion, PA, USA