CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

8.4

$3,000.00

2013 Hyundai Elantra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 102013

Elantra GLS 1.8L I4

Purchased this car for the Great Fuel Mileage. Was unable to get even CLOSE to the 40 (later changed to 38) MPG that the car was supposed to get the best I ever saw was a trip to Vegas at over 250 miles with just my wife and myself in the car. I got a poor 31mpg. Mind you this is 100% highway at 70 mph... while my 16 year Civic gets 362 miles per 9.7 gal on the last fill up. You can do the math.

I feel cheated every single time I get in the car and it upsets me that I settled for this car that can't even get its rated MPG. I had a 2003 Altima that was rated 28 on the highway. That same trip to Vegas? I got 31 out of it? so Why did I downgrade to a smaller car with less power and comfort for the same fuel econ? Just knowing that Hyundai cheated on the EPA test means more about the confidence they put in their cars....

- , Hesperia, CA, USA

May 182015

Elantra Limited

This car gets nowhere near the gas mileage promised by the dealership. I'm now down to 21/34 and about 267 miles to empty on a full tank. I'm trying to dump this car if at all possible because I'm constantly have to fill it up. Don't buy this car.

- , Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jan 142016

Elantra

Hyundai advertised avg. 37mpg...you'd have to have over 37 and right under 37 do average 37!!!!! This car doesn't even come close! 30 maybe 32 in the summer! False advertisement - AGAIN! Won't buy another one!

- , Westwood, KS, USA

Feb 042014

Elantra

Hyundai Elentra 2013 does not get advertised gas mileage.This is major for me.This is a deal breaker!!!

- , Canton, GA, USA

Nov 012015

Elantra GL 1.8L

My 2013 auto Elantra (built in S.Korea) with 30000+ miles of driving has averaged an excellent 39mpg with 15% city driving & using 100% ethanol-free gasoline(E0). Top mpg with extra highway driving has been 43mpg. When using E10(10% ethanol), mpg drops to 36 & lower with excess city driving & stop&go traffic.The car is now in the hands of another family member & we purchased a 2016 manual Elantra. MPG is lower, down to 35.5 mpg, but in heavy stop&go traffic, 25% city, & more use of E10. When E0 was used in a trip to the ocean, with stops for pix & beach walking, travel over hills & a bit of stop&go I-5 traffic, we got 46mpg. Elantra only has 130lbs-ft of torque. MPG goes away quickly, with anything but the easiest of featherfooting.

- , Everett, WA, USA

Jun 012013

Elantra

Bought the Elantra in December of 2012. The first few months we had decent mileage, but then it went south quickly. We traded our 4runner in to save money but we only get low 30's for gas mileage on the highway, and low 20's in town. We feel betrayed, and it just plain ticks me off!

- , Waco, TX, USA

Jun 012015

Elantra GLS

The Elantra MPG is totally a lie. I've driven this car for almost 2 years (half local and half highway), and the average mpg is 25, anything but close to the advertised mpg. During the first few months when I first noticed the problem, I went to the dealer and they told me there's an ease-in period, and once I got 5000 miles, the mpg would pick up. However, that never happens, even with 12000+ miles now.

Before this brand new Elantra, I had a used 2002 Honda Civic. It had much better mpg, 32 on average. So Elantra doesn't save me money at all.

I wanted to love this car - indeed, it looks sleek and pretty from outside. But its performance is disappointing. Very unhappy with the misleading advertising of Hyundai. Will not buy from Hyundai again.

- , Bothell, WA, USA

Sep 242013

Elantra Limited 1.8L

Purchased my Elantra in March of 2013. Loved it. Was getting 35MPG combined city/highway. The following September (2013) over a period of 3 fill-ups, I watched my great gas mileage drop from @350 miles on a 10 gallon fill-up to 335. Okay things happen. The next fill-up it dropped to 320. The next fill-up was down to 290 miles. And it stayed there. After 3 more fill-ups of less than 300 miles per tank, I made an appointment with the dealer. This was a drop off of almost 20%. The dealers answer, "it's winter gas". Really? I bought the car last March in "the winter!" But they insisted winter gas was the cause. I got no satisfaction from the dealer. It's now a year and a half later. I've gotten about half of it back. Getting @ 32MPG now. But I guess my days of 35MPG are gone forever.

Also need to mention that this drop in mileage coincided with an acceleration issue that also couldn't be resolved. But that's another complaint.

- , Feasterville, PA, USA

Jul 012013

Elantra

My 2013 Hyundai Elantra gets 18-20% less mileage (city/hwy/combined) than originally advertised (I measure mileage by filling the tank up and calculating based off my odometer). I told the dealer and Hyundai Canada and they said there were no reported problems they need to fix and the car is fine. Then they fed me the regular excuses like, your car isn't 'worked in' (I have 30k now), or you don't drive it efficiently.

The class action lawsuit seems to have been cutoff right around my model VIN. Has anyone considered another class action lawsuit for 2013 Hyundai owners that were not covered in the original settlement? Sign me up !

- , B, NS, Canada

Sep 162014

Elantra

Mileage has been down year to year throughout the lease, which began August 2012. The drop was extreme, however, since we moved and my commute was cut from 25 miles to 7 each way, where in the space of 1 fill-up, my mileage went from about 27 MPG, which itself was inadequate and below par to me, to around 20 mpg (The lying gauge usually indicates 23.5 thereabouts, but it always showed me more than I really got)..

After a wasteful back and forth with the dealer about it, both the service manager and Hyundai itself finally decided that my mileage stinks because I don't drive long enough. So I should maybe take a 15 mile out of the way detour to and from work every day to increase my mileage? What kind of @#$% is that?

I should warm up the car for about 10 minutes before driving? What am I, driving a 1965 Oldsmobile that it has to sit idling cold for an eternity before it will move? I start it up in 70 plus degree weather every morning. It needs to be warmed up? WHAT KIND OF S@%T IS THAT?

So I'm punished by Hyundai for having a blessedly short commute. If you drive only 7 or so miles each way, you can only get about 20 MPG. My old 1986 Grand Marquis could nearly match that.

No solution and no satisfaction. They lied through their teeth about the mileage, period, no discussion!

Very unhappy.

- , Charlotte, nc, USA

Apr 132014

Elantra LTD 4 cyl

Manufacturers estimated MPG should to be close to MPG. Hyundai uses as a selling point for their cars an inflated MPG .

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Nov 282013

Elantra

I bought my 2013 hyundai elantra in November 2013, within weeks of having it I noticed the fuel gauge is inaccurate. I learned this by being on the side of the road when my hyundai dashboard said I had 42 miles to E left. I took it to the dealership the issue was never resolved. I was told they recalibrated it. I took it to the dealership in Raleigh and was told that is common with hyundai.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Nov 242012

Elantra Gls Pzev 4 cyl

The sticker shows 32 MPG combined,28 city, we were told it would be closer to the 32 MPG for city. I average about 26 in the summer, in the winter I'm getting anywhere from 19-22. Terrible, terrible!!

- , East Amherst, NY, USA

Apr 172014

Elantra ES 1.8L 4-cyl

I'm getting 18mpg city driving. Just horrible considering I should be getting 28 city. We drive it to and from school (about 5 miles each way) daily. We drive it normally. I would never have bought this car if I new the gas mileage would be so poor.

- , Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Nov 202013

Elantra Limited 1.8L 145 Hp 4c

I wanted this car. Now I would like to drive it off a cliff. I bought it because I thought I would get 28-36 MPG. Ha! I have checked since day one and get 23-25 max. I now have 6000 miles on my car. I take it in to Tustin Hyundai Ca.and they say nothing is wrong with my new car. I show them my receits from every fill up. ???? It's got to be how I drive. I've been told I drive like a grandma so??? This is so misleading to consumers.

I wanted to get at least 30 to justify the buy of the car for the car payment monthly. I use to drive a SUV that got 16 MPGS. I guess I should have just kept it due to the fact I'm not saving ANYTHING. To top it off that's NOT all that is wrong with my NEW car. Brakes squeak, can not run AC and have car in drive without the car shaking like crazy, blue tooth doesn't work (and this problem they DO know about) but not sure when Bluetooth will be fixed. I said put in a diff. radio NOW. That is a safety issue because I drive all over and need to talk to clients, not use my phone which I can get a ticket for. Customer service there at Tustin Ca. is BAD. GM and the Service MNGR both do not care. Lemon law I guess here I come.............

- , Tustin, CA, USA

Nov 242012

Elantra ES 1.8L

The mpg is lousy. I drive half highway and some city and have yet to avg. 28mpg. That's with Eco on.

- , Emmaus, PA, USA

Dec 012013

Elantra Gls Pzev 1.8L

One key factor in me buying the Elantra was that the sticker says 32mpg city/hwy, 28 city, 38 hwy. I am currently getting 20-21mpg.

I live in a very congested area and my 17 mile commute each way to work takes an hour, so its all stop and go. Seeing that 28mpg made me very excited, but turns out its the same, actually slightly worse than my old cars were. I had a 2000 Grand Prix which averaged 22mpg and a 2011 Accord which was about 24mpg. And they were midsized cars with a much larger gas tank, prob 18 gallons. So now im getting a worse mpg and going to the gas station almost twice as often to fill up, i think this car has about an 11 gallon tank.

- , W Babylon, NY, USA

Apr 092013

Elantra GT 1.8L 4 CYL

I purchased this car because the fuel economy was supposed to be 27mpg city 37 hwy. When the tank is full the distance to empty isn't even 300 miles. I drove the car from Florida to New York which is all highway and only got about 22mpg. I brought it in for service to complain and Hyundai said there was nothing wrong with it. Hyundai has been cited before for poor gas mileage for their 2012 models. Shouldn't they also look into 2013? I have two big cars that get better gas mileage than this car. Are there other complaints like this?

- , Holbrook, NY, USA

Jan 032014

Elantra LTD 1.8L

1. The EPA estimate has never been = the real MPG. I didn't expect it.
  2. I did expect the auto computer to correctly calculate the actual MPG but it does not. We're not idiots out here. I've been calculating my own mileage on other cars for years. So, remove the program that gives totally inaccurate results.
  3. The EPA estimates are also created under ideal conditions. I did my own test years ago with my last car. When I drove on the highway at 55 mph consistently, my mileage improved. Who does that these days? I do drive at fairly consistent speeds (slightly variable for the break-in) but they've never been this off. I tested my last vehicle at a couple of other higher speeds and the mileage dropped. But again, do you want to buy a car based on fiction or non-fiction (liars either way).
  4. It's really time that two lawsuits - against the EPA or just don't put the mileage out there. Against Hyundai for improper (marketing scheme, I guess) programming. An educated guess says the programmers did exactly what they were told by the company.

I should've bought the Subaru but the mileage would be worse but closer to EPA estimates. That will be the next car and that's coming up soon.

- , Asheville, NC, USA

Oct 122013

Elantra GS 4.0L

Wow like everybody else in here I bought for the mileage and I'm getting 25-26 mpg on the highway. I commute and the bulk of my driving is highway , this stinks, at the mpg I'm getting i can get a decent truck!! If there is a class action suit out there please let me know!!!!

- , Brick, NJ, USA