8.5

$2,276.00

2. ford needs to recall their faulty transmission (114 reports)
  3. complete rebuild (78 reports)
  4. new tranmission (46 reports)
  5. new solenoid, pistol in tranny broken (11 reports)
  6. new solenoid (4 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 19)

May 302014

Explorer ES V6

Just bought this vehicle 3 weeks ago, and one week after I bought it, the service engine light came on. I didnt have the time to have it serviced right away, but now the O/D light is flashing too. I just brought it to the transmission shop, and they told me it will be $1800.00 to repair the transmission. Ive been reading alot of info online, and find out that this tranny in the this vehicle is known for its problems, and Ford is doing nothing to help out with the repairs. From what Ive read, this is a very widespread problem with Explorer owners and a very expensive problem to repair. Ford must know that this transmission is a piece of crap, and they should stand behind their product. We need a recall from Ford .

- , Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Jan 012012

Explorer V6

Bought a 2002 Ford Explorer new in 2002, 1st new car that I ever owned. In the 1st year the back window hinge broke twice and had it replaced. Then the back panel with the Ford Emblem cracked in two twice and now the O/D light is on and the transmission is slipping and lurching. I had it checked and was told it was a sensor in the trans. and was told it would cost $400.00 for part and $400.00 for labor and THAT was not guaranteed that would fix the problem. I was told to fix the O/D light would be a new trans for 2600 dollars.

YES FORD SHOULD RECALL THESE TRANS BECAUSE OF ALL THE COMPLAINTS THERE ARE .HELL, THERE'S NOT EVEN A PLACE TO CHECK WITH A DIPSTICK. DIDN'T KNOW THAT WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND WON'T BE FOOLED AGAIN.

- , Pinnacle, NC, USA

Dec 062013

Explorer V6

I have 2 children and it is very dangerous for the transmission to be clipping like that i could be rear ended or anything when it starts acting up. I definitely think ford needs to do a recall on their transmission and fix this problem. This is the first ford I've ever owned and it will definitely be my last. I have already put over 500 dollars into fixing this problem and it didn't fix it. VERY upset with ford. Ill be buying dodge from now on.

- , Martinsburg, WV, USA

Apr 092014

Explorer Limited V8

If this is a widespread problem as it appears to be, Ford needs to recall and fix these cars.

- , New Boston, MI, USA

Nov 302013

Explorer XLS V6

It is obvious how prevalent this problem is with this make, year, and model. Own up to your default, Ford!

- , Paramus, NJ, USA

Jan 022014

Explorer

O/D light blinking and transmission slipping. Took it to a few "transmission experts." Price to rebuild ranges from 1400-3800 depending on the crooks . Plus, you have to leave the car with them for 3-4 days . And since you're not seeing what they're doing, you don't know if all that's needed in some minor work and you're getting charged for major work. You just don't know. I already had a rebuilt engine put in and new wheel bearings .

Ford knew what they were doing . They knew this cars transmission would break down after so many miles.

They should be held responsible for selling a defective vehicle. All of these vehicles should be recalled.

A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IS WHAT'S NEEDED !

- , Yonkers, NY, USA

Dec 182013

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

The O/D light kept blinking O/D Off. Vehicle started to shake and slow down to a crawl. Was able to drive it to my Ford dealership. I was told that my transmission was shot and that I had two repair options:

1. Rebuilt transmission-----Cost $2,200

2. New transmission---Cost $4,200

I take care of my cars and had all of the regular checkups done at the dealership. This vehicle only has 112,000 miles on it. THERE IS NO WAY THAT THIS TRANSMISSION SHOULD HAVE GONE OUT IN THE CAR. READ A REPORT THAT SHOWED 412 COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE TRANSMISSIONS IN FORD EXPLORERS FROM THE YEARS 2000 TO 2004 WERE PROBLEMS. RECEIVED NOTHING IN THE MAIL ABOUT THIS. AM VERY UPSET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is our 4th Ford product that we have purchased from this dealer. Have been a customer there for 40 years.

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 052013

Explorer XLT 4.0L

2 out 3 months ago had transmission rebuilt, needle bearing went out on first and second gear. now the over drive light keeps blinking and tired gear kicks in hard with a knock and a jerk. I think it's a solenoid or valve body gasket.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

May 022013

Explorer Limited V6

Ford Co. Need to do a recall on their transmission!

- , Mcarthur, OH, USA

Apr 172012

Explorer

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD AGAIN!!!! I HAS TROUBLE SHIFTING INTO GEARS THE O/D LIGHT KEEPS BLINKING IT WILL FOR DEF NEED A NEW SOLENOID PACK IF NOT A NEW TRANSMISSION.

- , Biloxi, MS, USA

Jul 262013

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Recall or fix this problem, there are too many complaints to ignore Ford or you will continue to lose customers...

- , Hickory, MS, USA

Apr 022010

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

its so unfair that the ford co. don't do anything about it. I had other cars and the transmission on them seem in very good condition and they were older than this one.

What's up with ford company it started with this problem a long time ago close to the time the build it, but ford didn't do anything about it no satisfy customer here I tell you.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 252012

Explorer XLS 4.0L

they need to fix it, the tramission are messing, the back glass dont shut, speed control dont work, 4x4 dont work... all i have ever own was a ford explorer but after this one i dont know if i will ever buy another one

- , Hobbsville, NC, USA

Mar 152013

Explorer 4.0L V6

O/D light would come on and keep blinking. This occurred along with the transmission revving up and going no where and not wanting to shift. I was told I need a new transmission.

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

May 042012

Explorer

I think it's stupid that there's so many complaints and they won't do a recall!!! Transmissions aren't cheap

- , Georgetown, SC, USA

Feb 062013

Explorer 4.0L

As I was driving one day I noticed my o/d light blinking. I began researching the issue only to find ALL the complaints from the majority of Explorer owners. I have now began a petition to make Ford recognize their wrong in this situation and demand they help financially. PLEASE sign the petition so we, meaning you as well because you most likely wouldn't be reading this if you weren't experiencing problems, can get our vehicle fixed to be the reliable ABC dependable vehicle we purchased and was promised it would be.

Click j this link and sign :http://www.change.org/petitions/ford-motor-company-create-a-recall-to-repair-the-transmission-in-the-2000-2004-explorer-2

- , Sanford, NC, USA

Jan 292013

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.7L

I bought this vehicle with 198000+ on it. The transmission started slipping as I was going up a long hill doing about 45 and dropped out of O/D - with the light blinking - and CHECK TRANSMISSION on the dash. Took it to the local "FORD" dealer. Initial estimate $190 - for a fluid change, and inspection of the issue. Code kicked out as "Solenoid B - Malfunction". After pulling valve body, problem still not found. $800 and climbing. Transmission removed from vehicle, and torn down to inspect. Problem turned out to be the Solenoid BORE was somehow "scored" - with a groove and needs to be repaired. Extended Warranty company wouldn't cover it (another scam). 2 Days into it, the bill is now at least $2750 - to REPAIR - not REBUILD - or Remanufacture. FORD Motor Company will be getting a call from one P###D off customer. I was about to drive CROSS COUNTRY for a new job - and now - I need to scramble for repair costs. I understand it's a high mileage vehicle - but I can't even take this one to the "USED CAR" dealer I bought it from - lemon laws in Oregon don't cover used vehicles. My advice would be to tell everyone to avoid this model year -- Eddie Bauer edition - 4x4, and very costly to maintain....Owned it for 60 days and already have to spend better than HALF of the purchase price to repair a pre-existing yet undetected problem. Is this how FORD stays in business? It's BS -- and I wish they would pony up some of the cost to fix something that they obviously know is an issue.

- , Hillsboro, OR, USA

Mar 272013

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Seems to be a common problem, going to see what it will cost to fix, can't see putting $2000 or $3000 into the car

- , Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Feb 262013

Explorer ES 3.2L V6

This is second time this problem has occurred and is clearly do to poor design. This should have been recalled long ago but, money talks and bull sh*t walks...literally.

- , Edgewater, MD, USA

Feb 182013

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

I've seen a lot of problems with the tranny going out on the 2002 Ford Explorer. I've tried everything but it will still cost me $2500. I don't want to continue to keep throwing money in this truck when it will keep failing me. Ford really needs to recall this tranny.

- , Clarksville, IN, USA