8.5

$2,276.00

2. ford needs to recall their faulty transmission (110 reports)
  3. complete rebuild (78 reports)
  4. new tranmission (46 reports)
  5. new solenoid, pistol in tranny broken (11 reports)
  6. new solenoid (4 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 19)

Nov 302013

Explorer XLS V6

It is obvious how prevalent this problem is with this make, year, and model. Own up to your default, Ford!

- , Paramus, NJ, USA

Jan 022014

Explorer

O/D light blinking and transmission slipping. Took it to a few "transmission experts." Price to rebuild ranges from 1400-3800 depending on the crooks . Plus, you have to leave the car with them for 3-4 days . And since you're not seeing what they're doing, you don't know if all that's needed in some minor work and you're getting charged for major work. You just don't know. I already had a rebuilt engine put in and new wheel bearings .

Ford knew what they were doing . They knew this cars transmission would break down after so many miles.

They should be held responsible for selling a defective vehicle. All of these vehicles should be recalled.

A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IS WHAT'S NEEDED !

- , Yonkers, NY, USA

Dec 182013

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

The O/D light kept blinking O/D Off. Vehicle started to shake and slow down to a crawl. Was able to drive it to my Ford dealership. I was told that my transmission was shot and that I had two repair options:

1. Rebuilt transmission-----Cost $2,200

2. New transmission---Cost $4,200

I take care of my cars and had all of the regular checkups done at the dealership. This vehicle only has 112,000 miles on it. THERE IS NO WAY THAT THIS TRANSMISSION SHOULD HAVE GONE OUT IN THE CAR. READ A REPORT THAT SHOWED 412 COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE TRANSMISSIONS IN FORD EXPLORERS FROM THE YEARS 2000 TO 2004 WERE PROBLEMS. RECEIVED NOTHING IN THE MAIL ABOUT THIS. AM VERY UPSET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is our 4th Ford product that we have purchased from this dealer. Have been a customer there for 40 years.

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 052013

Explorer XLT 4.0L

2 out 3 months ago had transmission rebuilt, needle bearing went out on first and second gear. now the over drive light keeps blinking and tired gear kicks in hard with a knock and a jerk. I think it's a solenoid or valve body gasket.

- , Knoxville, Tennessee, USA

May 022013

Explorer Limited V6

Ford Co. Need to do a recall on their transmission!

- , Mcarthur, Ohio, USA

Apr 172012

Explorer

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD AGAIN!!!! I HAS TROUBLE SHIFTING INTO GEARS THE O/D LIGHT KEEPS BLINKING IT WILL FOR DEF NEED A NEW SOLENOID PACK IF NOT A NEW TRANSMISSION.

- , Biloxi, MS, USA

Jul 262013

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Recall or fix this problem, there are too many complaints to ignore Ford or you will continue to lose customers...

- , Hickory, MS, USA

Apr 022010

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

its so unfair that the ford co. don't do anything about it. I had other cars and the transmission on them seem in very good condition and they were older than this one.

What's up with ford company it started with this problem a long time ago close to the time the build it, but ford didn't do anything about it no satisfy customer here I tell you.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 252012

Explorer XLS 4.0L

they need to fix it, the tramission are messing, the back glass dont shut, speed control dont work, 4x4 dont work... all i have ever own was a ford explorer but after this one i dont know if i will ever buy another one

- , Hobbsville, North Carolina, USA

Mar 152013

Explorer 4.0L V6

O/D light would come on and keep blinking. This occurred along with the transmission revving up and going no where and not wanting to shift. I was told I need a new transmission.

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

May 042012

Explorer

I think it's stupid that there's so many complaints and they won't do a recall!!! Transmissions aren't cheap

- , Georgetown, South Carolina, USA

Feb 062013

Explorer 4.0L

As I was driving one day I noticed my o/d light blinking. I began researching the issue only to find ALL the complaints from the majority of Explorer owners. I have now began a petition to make Ford recognize their wrong in this situation and demand they help financially. PLEASE sign the petition so we, meaning you as well because you most likely wouldn't be reading this if you weren't experiencing problems, can get our vehicle fixed to be the reliable ABC dependable vehicle we purchased and was promised it would be.

Click j this link and sign :http://www.change.org/petitions/ford-motor-company-create-a-recall-to-repair-the-transmission-in-the-2000-2004-explorer-2

- , Sanford, North Carolina, USA

Jan 292013

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.7L

I bought this vehicle with 198000+ on it. The transmission started slipping as I was going up a long hill doing about 45 and dropped out of O/D - with the light blinking - and CHECK TRANSMISSION on the dash. Took it to the local "FORD" dealer. Initial estimate $190 - for a fluid change, and inspection of the issue. Code kicked out as "Solenoid B - Malfunction". After pulling valve body, problem still not found. $800 and climbing. Transmission removed from vehicle, and torn down to inspect. Problem turned out to be the Solenoid BORE was somehow "scored" - with a groove and needs to be repaired. Extended Warranty company wouldn't cover it (another scam). 2 Days into it, the bill is now at least $2750 - to REPAIR - not REBUILD - or Remanufacture. FORD Motor Company will be getting a call from one P###D off customer. I was about to drive CROSS COUNTRY for a new job - and now - I need to scramble for repair costs. I understand it's a high mileage vehicle - but I can't even take this one to the "USED CAR" dealer I bought it from - lemon laws in Oregon don't cover used vehicles. My advice would be to tell everyone to avoid this model year -- Eddie Bauer edition - 4x4, and very costly to maintain....Owned it for 60 days and already have to spend better than HALF of the purchase price to repair a pre-existing yet undetected problem. Is this how FORD stays in business? It's BS -- and I wish they would pony up some of the cost to fix something that they obviously know is an issue.

- , Hillsboro, OR, USA

Mar 272013

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Seems to be a common problem, going to see what it will cost to fix, can't see putting $2000 or $3000 into the car

- , Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Feb 262013

Explorer ES 3.2L V6

This is second time this problem has occurred and is clearly do to poor design. This should have been recalled long ago but, money talks and bull sh*t walks...literally.

- , Edgewater, Maryland, USA

Feb 182013

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

I've seen a lot of problems with the tranny going out on the 2002 Ford Explorer. I've tried everything but it will still cost me $2500. I don't want to continue to keep throwing money in this truck when it will keep failing me. Ford really needs to recall this tranny.

- , Clarksville, IN, USA

Feb 252013

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Don't really know where to start with this SUV. Rear gate cover cracked then basically fell off....water to the latch causing the alarm to go off on its on...error message constantly stays on. Had to take all the light bulbs from inside out because they would not go out because of the door ajar message. 5....yes 5 window regulators in two years. 5 disc CD changer does not eject...can only use the stereo. Right rear axel had to be replaced two years ago. Finally, the O/D light started flashing...took it to the dealer and they said the error message indicated that the torque converter was defective....he said he wasn't sure that it was bad due to the fact these transmissions are almost ALL defective. Continued to drive it with the error message beeping every twenty miles because it wont reset. Finally one day the message went away and the car seemed fine....now after 119000 miles the transmission struggles to change gears and driving down the road it roars like a b**ch! Mechanic said it needs a new transmission. While he was checking it out it also has an oil leak around the oil filter assembly that is leaking onto the sensor causing the oil pressure gauge to go crazy with error messages flashing so much you cant even drive it. Got it home.....backed it in the garage....put cardboard under it to catch the oil from the leak and that is where it will stay. Ford really screwed us faithful customers on this one. They need a RECALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going to sell it for junk probably and buy a Toyota truck.

- , Graniteville, SC, USA

Dec 192011

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

i was driving home after just purchasing my new POS and i pulled in my drive way and the OD light came on it also made a squeal. And bad stutter on my way back to the dealership. i couldn't get it above 35 mph. i tried to tell em to to take it back but they pretty much said ur outa luck, u signed the papers and drove off the lot. luckily i had an extended warranty on it, otherwise it woulda been a nice 3500 dollar bill along with my new POS. thanks ford for making such a crappy car.

- , Bellevue, Ohio, USA

Dec 282012

Explorer LX

Unfortunately, I bought this explorer thinking that I was doing a good thing in supporting an American company. However, based on the situation I have with this vehicle and in reading through the internet, this issue with Ford Explorers is very common. The company should be held responsible for this!!! Ford vehicles are very costly and the bottom line is that people like me buy a car because of necessity. The company is aware of the faulty transmission problem and does nothing to help its costumers. Complaint after complaint and nothing is done. The government should be involved in these matters as the citizens are being taken advantage of. It is ridiculous that you purchase a car and soon after you have to invest in a NEW TRANSMISSION or any costly repair. Shame on you Ford Company for knowing this and not caring for your "loyal" customers, who believe in supporting American businesses like yours. In order to continue striving you need customers and If you continue with poor customer service and taking NO responsibility of your actions you will be soon part of the past. As far as I am concerned I will never purchase a Ford vehicle nor will I recommend anyone to do so. If you're a smart company, you will step up to the plate and DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 222012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

O/D OFF flashing, CHECK TRANSMISSION came on. Transmission guy said I need a new solenoid pack but from reading reviews I'm not sure that is going to take care of it. I have owned 5 vehicles, this being my first American made, and I get this problem after having it for less than 6 months. Should have known better and will never buy American again.

- , Louisville, KY, USA