- January 25: Ford Fiesta and Focus Transmission Lawsuit Filed After Complaints
- January 20: Ford Trucks Investigated After Reports of Stalling Engines
- January 1: Ford Recalls Escape and Lincoln MKC SUVs
- December 18: Ford Recalls 500,000 Mustangs To Fix Exploding Airbags
- December 4: Ford Recalls Mustang Sports Cars and Transit Connect Cargo Vans
2002 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission failure417
- o/d light is blinking378
- transmission slips when shifting and clunks145
- enclosed transmission had to be overhauled130
- difficulties shifting89
- hard/soft shifting, rattling noise, gear ratio out, ...51
- won't shift into 3rd gear48
- transmission hesitates27
- shifts into gear but won't go19
- rattling noise from transmission18
- transmission shutters16
- loses gears14
- solenoid failure14
- grinding noise from transmission8
- servo plug casting broke8
- transmission fluid leaking8
- can only drive in 1st gear6
- slips when put into gear & pops out of gear at stops6
- defective valve body5
- rolls a bit after shifting into park4
- trans slips in 2nd to 3rd gear. od light flashing4
- transmission whines4
- intermittent jerking3
- slips into neutral when coming to quick stop3
- service engine light stays on after repair2
- can shift to other gears but will only go forward in ...1
- clutch pack failure1
- could not turn off od1
- makes a winding down noise when stopping1
- surges forward when brakes applied1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission887
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...44
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter14
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...13
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission13
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...6
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Park/Neutral ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission: Floor Shift ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Cooling ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.