- September 26: Ford Recalls 850,000 Vehicles For Short Circuit That Disables Air Bags
- September 15: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Investigation Underway
- September 12: Ford Recalls Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid After Engines Stall
- August 22: Ford Recalls Vehicles With Leaking Gas Tanks and Flying Roof Glass
- August 17: Ford Recalls 160,000 Escape and Focus ST Vehicles For Erratic Engines
2002 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission failure412
- o/d light is blinking372
- transmission slips when shifting and clunks142
- enclosed transmission had to be overhauled130
- difficulties shifting60
- hard/soft shifting, rattling noise, gear ratio out, ...48
- won't shift into 3rd gear48
- transmission hesitates25
- shifts into gear but won't go19
- difficulty shifting from park to reverse18
- rattling noise from transmission17
- transmission shutters15
- loses gears14
- solenoid failure14
- servo plug casting broke8
- transmission fluid leaking8
- grinding noise from transmission7
- difficulty shifting from park to drive6
- can only drive in 1rst gear5
- defective valve body5
- slips when put into gear & pops out of gear at stops5
- rolls a bit after shifting into park4
- transmission whines4
- difficulty shifting into park3
- slips into neutral when coming to quick stop3
- service engine light stays on after repair2
- clutch pack failure1
- intermittent jerking1
- makes a winding down noise when stopping1
- surges forward when brakes applied1
- trans slips in 2nd to 3rd gear. od light flashing1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission886
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...43
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter14
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...13
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission13
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...6
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Park/Neutral ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission: Floor Shift ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Cooling ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.