9.3

$2,832.00

1. replaced with rebuilt transmission (110 reports)
  2. replace transmission (82 reports)
  3. transmission needs to be recalled (79 reports)
  4. call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
  6. local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 22)

Jun 012013

Explorer

Ford should be terminated and never be able to make vehicles anymore. They made and sold defective vehicles and won't do anything about it.Put the owner, President of Ford and anyone else responsible for selling defective vehicles in jail! They are crooks. This has cost me more than money, it cost my job, home.. I will never have anything to do with or good to say about Ford unless they recall 2002 thru 2005 Exploders for their junk transmissions and timing chains for the engine...

Update from Aug 11, 2015: ford will not make good on their junk transmissions..i will never have anything to do with ford again! they are thieves.i recomend nobody ever buy anything from ford.

- , Silver Lake Wisconsin, USA

Jun 062015

Explorer

Our 30 year old daughter is dead because of Ford's faulty transmission. Her 2002 Ford Explorer surged into reverse in her garage on April 1st, 2012 and she was pinned with the driver side door against the wall of her garage and she died while her 2 year old baby was strapped in her car seat. She lay there pinned for quite sometime before she was found.

Ford should take responsibility for our daughter's death. I have emailed Ford many times all I get is a sorry for your loss. Ford needs to step forward and be accountable for our Daughter's death and recall every Ford explorer on the road with this faulty transmission before it happens to someone else. Ford not only took daughter's life, but ruined our family, we have been torn to pieces and will never be put back together.

Be careful everyone with older Ford Explorers, please don't take any chances! Those transmissions are a time bomb waiting to explode. In a split second you life can change forever as we found out the hard way.

- , Fort Sask, AB, Canada

Jul 102009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

The family was on the way to the beach for summer vacation. We were 25 miles from our destination when the transmission quit. We had to have it replaced with a rebuilt transmission from Ford. It really threw a huge burden on us during our vacation.

- , Mclean, VA, USA

Sep 162012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

The rebuilt Ford transmission that we had replaced 3 years earlier failed on us. We took it to a Ford dealer and had it replaced again with another transmission

- , Mclean, VA, USA

Oct 222013

Explorer LT V8

The transmission on my Explorer went out for the second time at 124,000 miles. Going back to the same transmission repair shop the gave me a great discount for being return customer and gave me the same warranty on the repairs that Ford would have given me for the same repairs. In addition the charge for the repairs was less than half of what the Ford dealership where I had bought this my second Exploder.

>>>> Below is my First Transmission Failure Complaint on this site <<<<

[When I took the Exploder to the dealer they wanted $4,200 to repair the transmission. In speaking to the service rep. he mentioned "off the record" that it was a design flaw in the transmission and that he would never "formally" admit to that fact. At that point not trusting Ford or the dealer I found a reputable repair shop that only does transmission work. The service rep was well aware of the Ford Exploder transmission problem and explained to me that they "... repair several of them each week..." the price was $3200.

Ford needs to step up and show some integrity by standing behind their product and reimburse those who purchased Explorers with flawed transmissions.]

- , Falls Church, VA, USA

Jul 142010

Explorer LT V8

- , Falls Church, VA, USA

Mar 122012

Explorer XLT V6

2nd Time transmission had to be rebuilt 1500$!!!!! Seriously FORD Wow!

- , Eden, NY, USA

Oct 012005

Explorer XLT 4.0L

This is my first complaint after replacing in 2005 right after purchasing I will be adding 3 more complaints considering I've had to replace transmission 4 times since purchased in 2008.

- , Gainesville, GA, USA

Mar 012013

Explorer XLT 4.0L

3rd rebuilt transmission since 2005, rebuilt in 2005, 2008, 2013 and now just went out again! Ford made a terrible product when they made this year! It's obviously a Ford issue and Ford needs to recall this immediately! This can be dangerous too when it won't go in gear and your driving down the road with many other people around you! Not OK for me as a mother of 2 and one is a child with special needs and I have to drive to many doctors 100 miles away very often!! Something needs to be done!!

- , Gainesville, GA, USA

Jan 282010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I purchased this 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 new hoping that it would last a long time. I did all routine maintenance. This transmission failure was the first that I have had in any car excepting another Ford product. This same vehicle had all four wheel bearings fail at 60000 miles and a differential failure at 65000 miles, fluid had been always kept to spec. Twice I've repaired a leaking transfer case.

The last straw was that my daughter's Ford Escape spontaneously caught fire in my garage burning it to the ground. Not surprisingly, neither I nor any of my family will ever buy a Ford product again. If you buy a Ford product for the long term consider over $8000 dollars in out of warranty repairs that I have had to pay during my ownership of this car.

- , Sresmboat Springs, CO, USA

Sep 202014

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.8L V6

I REPLACED THE FACTORY TRANSMISSION AT ABOUT 75000 MILES AT A COST OF $1,800.00. AT 17 MONTHS THE TRANSMISSION HAS TO BE REPLACED AGAIN. FORD NEEDS TO STEP UP FOR PUTTING OUT AN INFERIOR PRODUCT. THIS IS RIDICULOUS THAT I AM GOING ON THE THIRD TRANSMISSION WITHIN 100,000 MILES.

- , Conyers, GA, USA

Oct 312013

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

First off, shame on Ford for allowing this to happen and not fix THEIR MISTAKES! They know about the transmission problems and continue to ignore it. I bought this vehicle used and I wished so badly I had seen this website before my purchase. Soon after my purchase of this vehicle I noticed it was shifting strange. First gear would shift hard, 2nd to 3rd didn't feel like a good solid shift and 4th was what they called a chatter.If you can imagine your teeth chattering, that's how 4th gear felt. I took it to a reputable tranny shop and they tore it down and found out it was a servo that went out.

Apparently from what I have read about these transmissions 5R55W they tend to get hot.... very hot. I got a rebuilt transmission for the outrageous cost of $3700.00. Fortunately I purchased a warranty for about $700.00 when I bought the Explorer and they covered $1600.00 of that repair.

I also got a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. I am also going to purchase a transmission cooler so it will hopefully save my transmission in the future. We will see. Everything that has happened with these vehicles is happening to mine 1 thing at a time. I currently have some wheel bearings sitting out in my garage for repair this week sometime. My brother recommended this vehicle to me and I wished he would have just shut up. I was prepared to buy a GMC. Never will I purchase a Ford again.

- , West Valley City, UT, USA

Dec 082004

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I've taken the vehicle to the dealer several times for the issues & they would never admit there was a problem.

At first it was hard to shift the vehicle into gear and a clunking noise with no apparent routine. Now there is a grinding, rattling , o/d light flashes ,they tell me I need transmission work to the tune of $2400.00, and its out of warranty. There was a warranty when I first noticed the problem.

- , Manassas, VA, USA

May 162014

Explorer V6

My 2002 Ford Explorer looks badass sitting in the driveway even today, just a day from being picked up for donation ... Undriveable ...

The transmission failure at 160k is such a drag ... The flashing O/D of death thing ... The clear failure of the transmission ,,,,

I hate letting go but with a bent frame (courtesy of my teen age son) and the 2002's remarkably expensive transmission fix options (no realistic option) ... it just doesn't make sense to keep.

Goodbye Dwarves, Iggy Pop, Germs stickers .... Good bye you gas guzzling bitch. I never touched anyone else while driving you -- never an accident. You were a charm. Until you weren't.

And even after my son's close encounter with a grassy knoll, even after your frame was bent and you no longer whispered along the highway, but rather whined along, no longer smooth, you remained perfect from a superficial standpoint -- you looked good on the outside and you continued to roll

But tomorrow you';re gone -- Off to the Humane Society for auction and parts sale ...

- , Lakewood, CA, USA

Jul 182014

Explorer LT V6

I have only owned Fords but this has me rethinking my next purchase. Every mechanic I have called said this is a known problem. Ford really needs to offer assistance.

- , Lexington, SC, USA

Nov 302013

Explorer XLS V6

Disgusting that so many 2002 Explorers are all having the same transmission problems (Trans failure, O/D light coming on, etc) and Ford is not doing anything about it. This is a manufacturer default that we're all stuck with the bill for.

- , Paramus, NJ, USA

Mar 062014

Explorer 4.6L

Transmission failed after buying vehicle from dealer in Colorado and driving to New Mexico (550 miles). This was bought to replace a Dodge Dakota which saved my life in a rollover accident in February but the insurance company only paid out so much and I have to make a move to Ohio to start a new job. I was in a hurry to find a replacement vehicle that can tow a trailer and have some utility to it... boy was I wrong. Should have researched it better. I almost bought a 2004 Dodge Durango... but decided against it.... bummer.

ONE DAY LATER, during the drive to New Mexico, to pack and get on the road; the Engine started surging, and the transmission seized. Currently at the Ford dealer seeking a diagnosis.. will not be able to move my new job in Ohio... will most likely cost me my (not even started) new job. Will try to call Ford and complain. The vehicle came with a "3 month or 3000 mile limited warranty" but I am sure they will tell me to pound sand when I call them tomorrow. Will add few other issues I have had within ONE DAY.

- , Monument, CO, USA

Dec 022013

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

THIS TRUCK WAS A GOOD TRUCK, THEN SLOWLY TURNED INTO A F*CKING PIECE OF SH*T THAT CAUSED MANY PROBLEMS GETTING TO WORK ON TIME ANYWAYS. FIRST THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT CAME ON FOR EMISSIONS. THEN PAINT STARTED PEELING. THEN THE TRANSMISSION F*CKS UP!!! THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE. I'LL NEVER BUY AN EXPLORER AGAIN!!!! TRADED THAT PIECE OF SH*T IN ON A HONDA ACCORD. BUYERS BEWARE, STAY AWAY FROM ANY EXPLORERS!

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Sep 152013

Explorer

I had my transmission replaced with a used one 2 years ago for $1500 (bad idea), only for it to go out again last month and the repair is gonna cost me $1900 that I do not have. So, I am now without a vehicle.....again. I've talked to so many others and they too have the same problem, which is transmission slipping (specifically 3rd gear). There are far too many identical problems for this to not be recalled. I will never buy another Ford.

- , Summit, MS, USA

Nov 142011

Explorer XLS 4.0L

ford has a ongoing problem with transmission failure on explorers mostly in years 02 to 04 and will not acknowledge it or do anything to help with the cost. I have bought ford products for every new car truck i have owned in the past, over 10 brand new vehicles in all. but i WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT.CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS. GMC HERE I COME MAKE ME AN OFFER AND I'LL BUY IT. FORD SUCKS.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA