- August 18: Ford Recalls 26,400 Ford F-650 and F-750 Trucks
- August 15: Ford Headlights Not Working? Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis Investigated
- August 8: Ford F-150 Aluminum-Body Crash Test Results
- August 4: Lincoln MKT Livery SUVs Recalled For Wrong Placard
- July 30: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Gets Green Light
2011 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.
The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.
It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.
Worst 2011 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems25NHTSA complaints: 15
- cooling system problems16
- electrical problems14NHTSA complaints: 32
- steering problems13NHTSA complaints: 305
- AC / heater problems12NHTSA complaints: 2
- windows / windshield problems8NHTSA complaints: 4
- interior accessories problems5NHTSA complaints: 12
- engine problems4NHTSA complaints: 28
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 3
- miscellaneous problems3NHTSA complaints: 8
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 13
- transmission problems2
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 45
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 25
- exhaust system problems1
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 11
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 5
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2011 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.