- September 15: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Investigation Underway
- September 12: Ford Recalls Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid After Engines Stall
- August 22: Ford Recalls Vehicles With Leaking Gas Tanks and Flying Roof Glass
- August 17: Ford Recalls 160,000 Escape and Focus ST Vehicles For Erratic Engines
- August 14: Ford Recalls 83,000 Vehicles Because of One Small C-Clip
2011 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.
The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.
It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.
Worst 2011 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- cooling system problems13
- electrical problems13NHTSA complaints: 22
- steering problems11NHTSA complaints: 238
- AC / heater problems10NHTSA complaints: 2
- body / paint problems8NHTSA complaints: 4
- windows / windshield problems6NHTSA complaints: 3
- interior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 12
- engine problems3NHTSA complaints: 18
- miscellaneous problems3NHTSA complaints: 2
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 6
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 3
- transmission problems2
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 13
- exhaust system problems1
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 31
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 4
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2011 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.