- January 25: Ford Fiesta and Focus Transmission Lawsuit Filed After Complaints
- January 20: Ford Trucks Investigated After Reports of Stalling Engines
- January 1: Ford Recalls Escape and Lincoln MKC SUVs
- December 18: Ford Recalls 500,000 Mustangs To Fix Exploding Airbags
- December 4: Ford Recalls Mustang Sports Cars and Transit Connect Cargo Vans
2011 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.
The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.
It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.
Worst 2011 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- cooling system problems15
- body / paint problems14NHTSA complaints: 10
- electrical problems13NHTSA complaints: 30
- steering problems12NHTSA complaints: 278
- AC / heater problems10NHTSA complaints: 2
- windows / windshield problems6NHTSA complaints: 3
- interior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 12
- engine problems4NHTSA complaints: 26
- miscellaneous problems3NHTSA complaints: 8
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 8
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 3
- transmission problems2
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 43
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 23
- exhaust system problems1
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 10
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2011 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.