- July 17: Ford Lawsuit Claims Steering Defects in Ford Fusion and Focus Cars
- July 12: Investigation Looks at Steering Problems in 500,000 Ford Cars
- July 9: Ford Recalls Cars and SUVs for Flying Roof Glass and Roll Away Danger
- June 29: Ford Dealers Told How to Fix Rough Idle and Rattle Noise
- June 25: Ford Recalls F-150 Over Steering Problems, Tells Owners to Park Trucks
2011 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.
The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.
It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.
Worst 2011 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- cooling system problems13
- electrical problems13NHTSA complaints: 22
- steering problems11NHTSA complaints: 238
- AC / heater problems10NHTSA complaints: 2
- body / paint problems8NHTSA complaints: 4
- windows / windshield problems5NHTSA complaints: 3
- interior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 12
- miscellaneous problems3NHTSA complaints: 2
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 6
- engine problems2NHTSA complaints: 18
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 3
- transmission problems2
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 13
- exhaust system problems1
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 31
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 4
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2011 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.