- March 25: Ford Recalls 221,000 Vehicles in Three Recalls
- March 23: Ford Focus and Fusion Power Steering Lawsuit Dismissed
- March 18: Ford Unintended Acceleration Lawsuit Filed in Louisiana
- March 12: Massive Car Hacking Lawsuit Filed Against Ford, GM and Toyota
- March 3: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Investigation Expanded
2006 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
Worst 2006 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems271NHTSA complaints: 52
- cooling system problems239NHTSA complaints: 18
- engine problems64NHTSA complaints: 37
- interior accessories problems38NHTSA complaints: 14
- body / paint problems23NHTSA complaints: 6
- AC / heater problems14NHTSA complaints: 3
- wheels / hubs problems13NHTSA complaints: 2
- brakes problems11NHTSA complaints: 9
- drivetrain problems8NHTSA complaints: 9
- windows / windshield problems5NHTSA complaints: 5
- electrical problems3NHTSA complaints: 7
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 3
- exterior accessories problems2
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- steering problems2NHTSA complaints: 2
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 3
- exhaust system problems1
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.