- February 11: Ford Wins $3 Million Ford Ranger Lawsuit on Appeal news | 14 days ago
- February 1: Ford Sudden Deceleration Lawsuit Aims At Throttle Body System news | 24 days ago
- January 26: Ford Recalls F-150, Focus and C-MAX recalls | 30 days ago
- January 13: Ford Recalls 816,000 Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 43 days ago
- January 1: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Denied Class-Action Certification news | 55 days ago
2006 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
Worst 2006 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems296NHTSA complaints: 120
- cooling system problems243NHTSA complaints: 93
- engine problems68NHTSA complaints: 148
- interior accessories problems39NHTSA complaints: 21
- body / paint problems27NHTSA complaints: 11
- AC / heater problems14NHTSA complaints: 4
- brakes problems12NHTSA complaints: 50
- wheels / hubs problems12NHTSA complaints: 9
- drivetrain problems11NHTSA complaints: 164
- electrical problems4NHTSA complaints: 34
- seat belts / air bags problems4NHTSA complaints: 11
- windows / windshield problems4NHTSA complaints: 10
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 25
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- steering problems2NHTSA complaints: 7
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 5
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 10
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.