- August 22: Ford Recalls Vehicles With Leaking Gas Tanks and Flying Roof Glass
- August 17: Ford Recalls 160,000 Escape and Focus ST Vehicles For Erratic Engines
- August 14: Ford Recalls 83,000 Vehicles Because of One Small C-Clip
- August 8: Ford Recalls Vans and SUVs for Leaking Brake Fluid and Bubbly Windshields
- July 17: Ford Lawsuit Claims Steering Defects in Ford Fusion and Focus Cars
2006 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
Worst 2006 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems258NHTSA complaints: 120
- cooling system problems233NHTSA complaints: 91
- engine problems61NHTSA complaints: 125
- interior accessories problems38NHTSA complaints: 20
- body / paint problems17NHTSA complaints: 10
- AC / heater problems14NHTSA complaints: 4
- wheels / hubs problems12NHTSA complaints: 6
- brakes problems10NHTSA complaints: 40
- drivetrain problems8NHTSA complaints: 106
- windows / windshield problems5NHTSA complaints: 9
- electrical problems3NHTSA complaints: 24
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 5
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 5
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- steering problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 24
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 7
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.