- April 11: Ford Recalls 435,000 Escapes For Rusted Subframes
- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 19: Ford Recalls Vehicles for Steering and Windshield Problems
2006 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
Worst 2006 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- transmission problems270NHTSA complaints: 120
- cooling system problems233NHTSA complaints: 91
- engine problems59NHTSA complaints: 117
- AC / heater problems15NHTSA complaints: 4
- body / paint problems12NHTSA complaints: 9
- wheels / hubs problems12NHTSA complaints: 6
- electrical problems11NHTSA complaints: 23
- brakes problems10NHTSA complaints: 39
- interior accessories problems9NHTSA complaints: 20
- drivetrain problems8NHTSA complaints: 86
- exterior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 4
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 5
- windows / windshield problems3NHTSA complaints: 9
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 24
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- steering problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 9
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.