- August 18: Ford Recalls 26,400 Ford F-650 and F-750 Trucks
- August 15: Ford Headlights Not Working? Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis Investigated
- August 8: Ford F-150 Aluminum-Body Crash Test Results
- August 4: Lincoln MKT Livery SUVs Recalled For Wrong Placard
- July 30: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Gets Green Light
2006 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
Worst 2006 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems277NHTSA complaints: 120
- cooling system problems240NHTSA complaints: 93
- engine problems66NHTSA complaints: 137
- interior accessories problems38NHTSA complaints: 20
- body / paint problems23NHTSA complaints: 11
- AC / heater problems14NHTSA complaints: 4
- wheels / hubs problems13NHTSA complaints: 7
- brakes problems11NHTSA complaints: 45
- drivetrain problems8NHTSA complaints: 140
- windows / windshield problems5NHTSA complaints: 10
- electrical problems3NHTSA complaints: 26
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 8
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 5
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 24
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- steering problems2NHTSA complaints: 7
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 7
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.