- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 19: Ford Recalls Vehicles for Steering and Windshield Problems
- January 15: Ford Recalls Edge (Again): Gas Leak Could Cause Fire
- January 14: Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Over MyFord Touch Complaints
- January 3: The Worst Cars and Car Problems of 2013
- December 30: Ford Recalls Lincoln MKZ Hybrid For Roll Away Risk
- December 23: The Safest Cars to Drive in 2014
2006 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
Worst 2006 Explorer transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission lunges, hard jolt when shifting207
- transmission hesitates24
- won't go into gear20
- transmission failure16
- transmission stuck in overdrive2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission114
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.