- November 26: Ford Recalls 150,000 Escapes That Could Go Up in Flames
- November 23: Ford Recalls Focus Electric Car For Transmission Software Problems
- October 27: Ford Recalls Cars With Silent Door Chimes
- September 30: Drive a Ford F-250? Better Lock the Doors
- September 11: Ford Focus Electric Cars Target of Federal Investigation
Cracked Panel Below The Rear Window
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 13)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 72,731 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 626 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- waiting for Ford to recall (263 reports)
- not sure (180 reports)
- replace panel (92 reports)
- possible class action lawsuit (30 reports)
- call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (24 reports)
- do not buy Ford again (17 reports)
body / paint problem