- September 26: Ford Recalls 850,000 Vehicles For Short Circuit That Disables Air Bags
- September 15: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Investigation Underway
- September 12: Ford Recalls Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid After Engines Stall
- August 22: Ford Recalls Vehicles With Leaking Gas Tanks and Flying Roof Glass
- August 17: Ford Recalls 160,000 Escape and Focus ST Vehicles For Erratic Engines
Cracked Panel Below The Rear Window
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 33)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 73,186 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 657 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- waiting for Ford to recall (270 reports)
- not sure (189 reports)
- replace panel (94 reports)
- possible class action lawsuit (34 reports)
- call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (25 reports)
- do not buy Ford again (22 reports)
body / paint problem