6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (279 reports)
  3. replace panel (99 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (47 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (26 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (23 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 35)

Sep 152008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Crack developed on rear window panel. It appeared years ago and AI've noticed so many Explorers on the road with the same problem.

- , Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 312014

Explorer V6

I have always babied this car, it is kept clean and maintained. I always have something going on with it... this time it is the cracked back panel under the window. Ridiculous!

- , Canton, OH, USA

Oct 012013

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

FROM THE SOUND OF ALL THE COMPLAINTS FORD SHOULD HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM SOMEHOW. USUALLY YOU DON'T HEAR THAT MANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT SOMETHING IF A FLUKE. I LOVE MY EXPLORER AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS TAKEN CARE OF.

- , Somerset, KY, USA

Jan 012012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

The crack is minor compared to other problems I've had, i.e.: 3 wheel bearings, transmission replacement, hatchback window hinges breaking, multiple fluid leaks. And absolutely no sympathy from Ford customer, no-service.

- , Neenah, WI, USA

Jul 032014

Explorer LX 5.0L

Back panel on rear hatch crack all way thru Ford sign and hinges worn too.

- , Atchison, KS, USA

Jun 052011

Explorer

I guess ditto to all others will suffice. Big ole crack down tailgate just like every other Explorer. Still on the road because its transmission still kinda works.

- , Rockland, ME, USA

Jan 012010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

They know this is an issue ... Ford needs to fix this problem.

- , Florence, KY, USA

Aug 152011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 6 cyl

This is the second time this has happened to my 2004 Ford Explorer. The first crack was replaced under warranty. The second one appeared just over a year later. I haven't had it fixed, what's the use? Every 2004 Ford Explorer you see on the road has a cracked rear panel below the rear glass. Built Ford Tough? Yeah right.

- , Pilot Mountain, NC, USA

Dec 002008

Explorer Eddie Bauer XLT V-6

After noticing the crack on the rear tailgate I started looking and at least a couple times a day I am behind an Explorer with the same problem. When I first noticed the problem and did check on the Ford website and learned they were not taking responsibility for the cracks! It is past time for me to purchase a new car but due to this problem and the problem I had with my transmission I will NOT be purchasing a Ford product.

- , Snellville, GA, USA

Aug 112014

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

ford used defective materials that allow moisture and air to build up behind the window panel.

just need the cracked rear panel repaired.

- , UNION, NEW JERSEY, USA

Jan 012009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Called Ford Customer Service twice. Both times they denied any knowledge of the problem. Went to a few dealers and body shops and was laughed at. Response was that every Explorer had it and Ford did not take responsibility.

- , Frankfort, IL, USA

Jun 152008

Explorer Eddy Bauer

Crack is under Rear Window. I and my Wife have both been pinched and cut from the cracked door. In cold weather the crack squeaks loudly when driving. In the summer it seems to be less noisy. Almost every Explorer in our area has a cracked rear door. if you have one you tend to notice and watch for them. We Won't buy another one, way too many problems with this one.

- , Windsor, Colorado, USA

Jan 052005

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I have this game I play when I see an Explorer of this vintage. Make myself a bet, crack or no crack. I must have looked at 100 or more Ford- Merc. And surenuf, there's the crack. Estimate in this area to fix = $500.00 . Haven't lost a bet yet!!!

- , Cambridge, WI, USA

Jun 182010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

I purchased the 2004 Explorer in 2006. Wish I would have known about the problem, wouldn't have purchased it. I was looking at GMC Envoy, decided to buy the Explorer. The crack looks bad. It happened in 2010. I hope it doesn't get worse and the entire panel falls off before I get rid of it. I have seen many cracked Explorer's in my area and Mountaineer's. I went to Montrose Ford, Akron,OH where I purchased the Explorer, they did nothing. The mechanic hardly said anything about it. Heard it costs about $500-700 ? to fix it. I'm not fixing it. I'm waiting for recall !!!! or get rid of it. I'm not buying another Ford! Also had a Ford Windstar that was junk but they had a recall on it and covered it.

- , Seven Hills, OH, USA

Jul 022012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Way too much flex in the back door. Seen it happen to others so was being really careful.

Someone else closed it with uneven force, cracked straight away.

Come on Ford, this is not good enough.

- , Haymarket, Virginia, USA

Sep 102010

Explorer V6

Every Ford Explorer I see on the road has the same crack.

- , Graysville, TN, USA

Dec 012011

Explorer XLT

I think that Ford should fix the cracked rear panel. When you pay $45000.00 for a vehicle you would expect the company to honor the defect.

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

May 092011

Explorer LXT 4000cc

NEED TO BE MADE TO REPLACE WITH A NEW ONE FOR EVERY CAR LIKE THIS.

- , Turkey, NC, USA

Apr 012008

Explorer XLT 4.0ltr

Ford needs to stand behind their product.The crack appeared just after the warranty was up, just simply from closing the rear gate.

- , Madison, AL, USA

Jul 012009

Explorer

The cracked lift gate, should be something that Ford should have to fix. I hate how it looks and think eventually it will cause other problems.

- , Dallas, GA, USA