6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (290 reports)
  3. replace panel (109 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (60 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 38)

Jan 192016

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Well, on January 19, 2016, I joined the thousands of explorer owners who have had their rear hatch panel crack from bottom of rear window, to bottom of panel. I have a 2004 with just 96k miles! Nope, it's not freeze related, so don't believe that crap. I'm in Wa, and there was no freeze. No it isn't the wiper motor, as some have claimed. In the morning it wasn't there(45 degrees), and in the midday(50 degrees) it was cracked. I believe it's a material fatigue. Why didn't jerks at ford just use aluminum or some other metal instead of some stupid hybrid formula. Considering all the use a hatch panel gets, you'd think someone would have a brain, but apparently collectively, they didnt. I researched the class action suit going on, and it's a joke. ford managed to get the critical fix part of suit dismissed, so I doubt we'll get jack. I also did research on the fix. The only one out there worth anything is a plastic after market panel. To get it all done is still over $200ish for panel, install, and painting. not sure I will do it, but will wait until summer when weather dry and sunny. I haven't heard or read anything that guarantees the replacement will be crack free for life. If I had known the problem spanned 4 years of models, I wouldn't have bought it. A friend of mine owns a 2003, and his crack is far worse, and he never got it fixed. In 2004, or so, ford changed materials, but found it still cracked, and still no recall. I believe that since it's a body defect, ford should step up and pay for the replacement panels, and installs. Part of me wants to join other thousands and leave the crack for all to see. Would I buy another ford? well yes. And that's because other automakers are just as bad, and sometimes worse. A crack in a back panel wont kill us, unlike other problems with other vehicles. I got this explorer in 2008, but there wasn't enough on the internet to suggest I shouldn't buy it. Now there is. Time tells. When this vehicle croaks, if I don't first, I'm not sure at this point what I would get. It's rare to have honesty in manufacturing these days, so it's buyer beware for virtually everything. I bought my explorer used, and can say i'm really glad I did. Can you imagine outlaying a small fortune, and possibly still having payments and having this happen? sucky. When and if, I get the panel repaired, I will post the outcome.

Oh, and before I forget, I got some silicon seal that stays flexible, as you really should seal any cracks anyway. Plus, I sealed the lower rubber of the window, just to be sure all would stay dry. There could be more problems if moisture gets to motor, or wiring, or whatever, so don't put it off. So far the clear flexible seal is working thru tons of rain. And, by the way, my friend who has a 2003; his crack went down the center and affected his locking the hatch. i'm fortunate as mine was to the right side of the ford logo(awful reminder), and so lock not affected. But, there's no guarantee another crack wont show up somewhere with material fatigue. That's what makes this whole problem with us owners, irritating. Ford should fix all their major complaints for everything!!!

- , Lynnwood, WA, USA

Jan 172016

Explorer XLT V6

Purchased this car in 2004. Only 40,000 miles. Concerns me that this problem could get even worse. One day no crack, next day, large crack. Ford should repair this problem, especially since I found out this is a problem with a LARGE amount of Explorers. This is THEIR oversight, and they should be responsible for the repair.

I'm not asking for money, I'm asking for a repair due to Ford's negligence.

What's right is right - and the right thing to do in this instance is for Ford to issue a repair for all damaged vehicles.

- , Morrow, GA, USA

Jan 152006

Explorer XLT V6

Every Ford Explorer I see with this panel below the rear window has this crack in the same area of the panel. Why would this be if there wasn't something wrong with this design. I would love not look at this every time I go back there but it's there and every Ford Explorer I get behind in traffic and see in a parking lot and every where else I go. It is something that I'm living with but if I had known about this problem I never would have bought a Ford Explorer .... What ever Ford could do for all the people with this problem would really be appreciated, I'm sure they would keep future customers. If not they may lose a lot of sales. Do it for the consumer this time. It is ugly

- , Stratford, CT, USA

Oct 282015

Explorer Limited 4.0L V6

The crack in the rear panel appeared shortly after purchasing this Ford. I had contacted Ford who said there was nothing in their records of this being an issue! It was not how many Fords had the issue vs. how few did not. I actually had it fixed at my local Ford Dealer for $450.00. Thought the issue was put to rest, until I walked out and saw that the CRACK had REAPPERED. Repair lasted 2 years! Definately a design issue. I will never purchase another Ford.

- , Frisco, TX, USA

Dec 282011

Explorer

I was told by a dealer that this happens mostly during the winter months, water gets behind the panel, freezes, and then when you shut the window it causes it to break.

- , Alvaton, KY, USA

Nov 092015

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

Extremely disappointed to find a crack under the window on the rear lift gate. I have spent a lot of money keeping this car in good shape. Over the years I have replaced a lot of parts in the suspension, wheel bearings, rear differential bearing (fixing that wasn't cheap), peeling paint on the hood, shift indicator broke years ago, I could on and on. No more Explorers for me, bad move.

Update from Jan 29, 2016: The cracked panel I wrote about now caused the heart window to spontaneously explode while I was parked at work. I called FORD and as I suspected it's not a recalled problem because according to them it's not a safety issue. Imagine this happening while I was driving down the road.

- , West Bend, WI, USA

Jan 011917

Explorer XL V6

It is absolutely insane that ford hasn't recalled this. I'm in my truck everyday all day for work. Every single Ford Explorer I see has the same cracked panel under their rear window. Ford company should not get away with this!

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 132015

Explorer Limited 4.6L

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I want this fixed by Ford. I'm a loyal Ford guy and I don't believe this should be my problem as Every Explorer of this year (2004) has this broken !It's funny, in April, a 30 year friend of mine said to me, wow I have never seen that back panel on a Explorer that was not cracked. So I have gone out of my way to be very careful when touching it and it made no difference, cracked anyway! Bullshit. James

- , Sparks, NV, USA

Feb 012012

cracked panel below the rear window

In 2012 I noticed this annoying crack that went down through the center of the truck tailgate. I took the truck to Koons Ford body shop and they said that there wasn't a recall on the issue. The repair would cost a nice amount to repair. I have noticed a large number of Ford/Mercury SUV's with the crack down the center of the tailgate. Some almost in the same location. I feel that Ford/Mercury should repair the damage and apologize for deceiving people knowing that this damage is a factory defect.

- , Baltimore County, MD, USA

Jun 032013

Explorer SPT V6

My husband bought this Explorer for my birthday and just image seeing your gift with a crack in it, not to say how bad my husband felt to get me a gift that has a crack in it

- , Seffner, FL, USA

Feb 102015

Explorer Sport Utility V6

Rear panel cracked this past winter 2015. Went to Ford dealer which said, this happens a lot, but Ford will not fix this. It will most likely cost $500 or more to fix plus paint.

- , Roanoke, VA, USA

Jun 012005

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Soon after the first crack and shortly after the vehicle passed the 36K miles original warranty, I visited a Ford dealership and was turned down on the repair indicating it was out of warranty.

- , Davie, FL, USA

Jun 152010

Explorer XLT V6

Why is there no recall for this issue? I see other vehicles with the same cracks on the rear panel. Seems like a class action suit is necessary.

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Feb 082012

Explorer

Just like every other owner of this vehicle, I closed the lift gate one day and it had a long crack going down the right side of the Ford logo. Great job yet again, Ford.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 222011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I bought this truck used in great condition for the miles it had. Then using the tailgate often I saw that a crack was coming out. Then the whole panel next to the FORD logo cracked with the closing and driving of the back door. Ford needs to get these fixed since every 10 Explorers I see, 8 to 9 are cracked. REALLY?

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Jun 062015

Explorer XLS 4L

cracked panel below the rear window

Ford should continue to support the cost of the repair with the assistance program. Its an unacceptable customer irritant, that affects quality.

Fix it Ford!

Update from Aug 8, 2015: It cost $450 (Canadian) to fix the defective panel and could happen again, because the panel is poorly designed.

Update from Jan 26, 2016: OMG the panel cracked again at 158k in December. Ford you're losing loyal customers over this poor design & poor panel material.

FIX IT!

- , Beeton, ON, Canada

May 092013

Explorer V6

I've noticed this same crack in other 2004 Ford Explorers and I'm wondering if its a recall.

- , Woodlawn, MD, USA

Jan 052015

Explorer XTL 4.0L V6

Ford initially provided a fix now refuses to repair.

- , Sun City, CA, USA

Jan 042015

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V8

I see these all the f*ing time. My dad owns two Explorers; a white 2005 which my mother bought new, this one is yet to crack but only has 140,000. I bought this Eddie Bauer one from my old substitute teacher/neighbor for $2000 with 200,000 miles on it because everything but the transmission was tip-top. Drove it for literally two months, shut trunk hatch as one unit with normal force and it cracks right along the Ford logo.

My dad owns am auto repair shop and I see these and the Mercury Montaineers roll in with this damage all the time, it's really annoying and makes the car look like crap without any fault of the owner. I really wish Ford would offer some sort of aftermarket fix for this.

- , East Lansing, MI, USA

Sep 242011

Explorer XLT V6

Panel cracked right by the emblem with the Ford symbol. Now I have two cracks. Called Ford and they said that there was not a recall for it. I would need to repair and pay for it. Strange thing is...Ford also made the Lincoln Aviator same year had the exact same problem and they did do a recall for that. Not cool on Ford. Not happy

- , Gladstone, MO - Missouri, USA