1. waiting for Ford to recall (289 reports)
  3. replace panel (105 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (59 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 37)

Oct 132015

Explorer Limited 4.6L

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I want this fixed by Ford. I'm a loyal Ford guy and I don't believe this should be my problem as Every Explorer of this year (2004) has this broken !It's funny, in April, a 30 year friend of mine said to me, wow I have never seen that back panel on a Explorer that was not cracked. So I have gone out of my way to be very careful when touching it and it made no difference, cracked anyway! Bullshit. James

- , Sparks, NV, USA

Feb 012012

cracked panel below the rear window

In 2012 I noticed this annoying crack that went down through the center of the truck tailgate. I took the truck to Koons Ford body shop and they said that there wasn't a recall on the issue. The repair would cost a nice amount to repair. I have noticed a large number of Ford/Mercury SUV's with the crack down the center of the tailgate. Some almost in the same location. I feel that Ford/Mercury should repair the damage and apologize for deceiving people knowing that this damage is a factory defect.

- , Baltimore County, MD, USA

Jun 032013

Explorer SPT V6

My husband bought this Explorer for my birthday and just image seeing your gift with a crack in it, not to say how bad my husband felt to get me a gift that has a crack in it

- , Seffner, FL, USA

Feb 102015

Explorer Sport Utility V6

Rear panel cracked this past winter 2015. Went to Ford dealer which said, this happens a lot, but Ford will not fix this. It will most likely cost $500 or more to fix plus paint.

- , Roanoke, VA, USA

Jun 012005

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Soon after the first crack and shortly after the vehicle passed the 36K miles original warranty, I visited a Ford dealership and was turned down on the repair indicating it was out of warranty.

- , Davie, FL, USA

Jun 152010

Explorer XLT V6

Why is there no recall for this issue? I see other vehicles with the same cracks on the rear panel. Seems like a class action suit is necessary.

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Feb 082012

Just like every other owner of this vehicle, I closed the lift gate one day and it had a long crack going down the right side of the Ford logo. Great job yet again, Ford.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 222011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I bought this truck used in great condition for the miles it had. Then using the tailgate often I saw that a crack was coming out. Then the whole panel next to the FORD logo cracked with the closing and driving of the back door. Ford needs to get these fixed since every 10 Explorers I see, 8 to 9 are cracked. REALLY?

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Jun 062015

Explorer XLS 4L

cracked panel below the rear window

Ford should continue to support the cost of the repair with the assistance program. Its an unacceptable customer irritant, that affects quality.

Fix it Ford!

Update from Aug 8, 2015: It cost $450 (Canadian) to fix the defective panel and could happen again, because the panel is poorly designed.

- , Beeton, ON, Canada

May 092013

Explorer V6

I've noticed this same crack in other 2004 Ford Explorers and I'm wondering if its a recall.

- , Woodlawn, MD, USA

Jan 052015

Explorer XTL 4.0L V6

Ford initially provided a fix now refuses to repair.

- , Sun City, CA, USA

Jan 042015

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V8

I see these all the f*ing time. My dad owns two Explorers; a white 2005 which my mother bought new, this one is yet to crack but only has 140,000. I bought this Eddie Bauer one from my old substitute teacher/neighbor for $2000 with 200,000 miles on it because everything but the transmission was tip-top. Drove it for literally two months, shut trunk hatch as one unit with normal force and it cracks right along the Ford logo.

My dad owns am auto repair shop and I see these and the Mercury Montaineers roll in with this damage all the time, it's really annoying and makes the car look like crap without any fault of the owner. I really wish Ford would offer some sort of aftermarket fix for this.

- , East Lansing, MI, USA

Sep 242011

Explorer XLT V6

Panel cracked right by the emblem with the Ford symbol. Now I have two cracks. Called Ford and they said that there was not a recall for it. I would need to repair and pay for it. Strange thing is...Ford also made the Lincoln Aviator same year had the exact same problem and they did do a recall for that. Not cool on Ford. Not happy

- , Gladstone, MO - Missouri, USA

Mar 012015

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I had heard about this problem and my hatch didn't crack till after this cold winter. But, this is the first winter that this explorer has been kept outside, not garaged. My garaged is under my house and insulated. It never gets below freezing in the garage. I called Ford and asked them if they can help financially with the repairs. They said no.

- , Windsor Locks, CT, USA

Jul 032013

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Body of Explorer looks great except this! Being this is a problem across the board, Ford should make it right or disclose the flaw!

- , Orange Park, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Ford needs to fix this defective part. I'm now seeing cracked Ford Explorers every time I'm driving on the road or pulling into store parking lots. Why should the consumer pay for what is clearly a defective part?????

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 012007

I am petrified that these two cracks in my rear panel are going to cause harm to me or someone else. I am afraid that when opening or closing of the rear hatch panel the entire glass is going to come crashing down on whoever is there!!!!

This to me seems very dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!

And should have been noticed a very long time ago...I see PLENTY of explorers with the same problem just in my everyday driving. How could this not be seen as a RECALL???????

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 012008

Explorer Limited V6

I drive down the road and see Explorer after Explorer with this same problem, yet when I called Ford customer service to complain they stated there was no such issue with the Ford Explorer. They decided to be willfully blind, even though at least 99% of the vehicles have this very same crack across the back of the rear panel, below the glass window. Ford's lack of action in addressing this obvious engineering flaw is ground for a class action lawsuit.

- , Frisco, TX, USA

Sep 132008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Ford sucks, this vehicle has had the best of care, always garaged at night, low miles and the back lift gate cracked and the assholes won't fix it. I only buy Dodge for my two companies now. Chevrolet isn't any better. These jerks wonder why the Japanese and European car companies do so well in the US.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 012014

Water does leak through the crack. Ford needs to fix this.

- , Blue Island, IL, USA