6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (284 reports)
  3. replace panel (102 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (55 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 36)

Jan 012007

Explorer

I am petrified that these two cracks in my rear panel are going to cause harm to me or someone else. I am afraid that when opening or closing of the rear hatch panel the entire glass is going to come crashing down on whoever is there!!!!

This to me seems very dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!

And should have been noticed a very long time ago...I see PLENTY of explorers with the same problem just in my everyday driving. How could this not be seen as a RECALL???????

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 012008

Explorer Limited V6

I drive down the road and see Explorer after Explorer with this same problem, yet when I called Ford customer service to complain they stated there was no such issue with the Ford Explorer. They decided to be willfully blind, even though at least 99% of the vehicles have this very same crack across the back of the rear panel, below the glass window. Ford's lack of action in addressing this obvious engineering flaw is ground for a class action lawsuit.

- , Frisco, TX, USA

Sep 132008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Ford sucks, this vehicle has had the best of care, always garaged at night, low miles and the back lift gate cracked and the assholes won't fix it. I only buy Dodge for my two companies now. Chevrolet isn't any better. These jerks wonder why the Japanese and European car companies do so well in the US.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 012014

Explorer

Water does leak through the crack. Ford needs to fix this.

- , Blue Island, IL, USA

Jun 242009

Explorer Limited V8

On a sunny June day in 2009 I drove to a country furniture store within 10 miles of my home. I purchase a table for my kitchen with chairs. The furniture was loaded into the back of my 2004 Explorer by the store owner. Within 1 mile of my leaving the store I was startled by a very loud pop. I quickly pulled to the side of the road to check the furniture, thinking a chair shifted. I could find nothing to explain the noise. However later while unloading the furniture I noticed a crack starting at the top of the panel around the FORD logo in the back door. I concluded this was the cause of the loud pop noise.

Shortly afterwards I called Ford's toll free number and complained but received no satisfaction. I have continued to complain whenever the Explorer is in for service at the dealerships in Richmond & Lexington, Kentucky. Now when I'm out on the roads I always check out all Explorers 2002-2005 for the crack...it is no surprise to see most of them with the same or similar annoying crack. I take excellent care of my Explorer and believe faulty materials or poor design caused this crack. I hold Ford Motor Company accountable for this defect.

- , Irvine, Kentucky, USA

Jan 072015

Explorer XLT Sport 4.6L V8

Concerned about water intrusion into latch area or other issues due to crack.

- , Chanhassen, MN, USA

Jan 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

A second crack has occurred this past weekend 1/2/15. I'll post photos later.

- , Canyon Country, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Explorer XLT V8

The crack on the rear lift gate on my Explorer really looks bad. This is my third Explorer and if Ford does not fix this, there is not going to be a number 4.

- , Mission, Texas, USA

Mar 012011

Explorer LS 4.0L

When my wife discovered the crack it was 1 inch long. I was washing the car 2 weeks later and noticed the crack went from the top just under the window to the bottom of the door. Went to get an estimate from the body shop and was quoted $450 to repair. I have not had it repaired yet.

- , Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA

Feb 102010

Explorer 4.0L V6

There are two cracks in the rear panel that are an eyesore. Not happy with this vehicle. Would not recommend to others.

- , La Vernia, TX, USA

Oct 012006

Explorer

My 2004 Ford Explorer is like every other one I see; it has an open crack on the back hatch that extends downward below the rear window hatch. You cant blame this on the owner or on poor quality workmanship. This is clearly the result of poor design, poor materials for manufacture, or a combination of both. The Ford obviously Corporation knows this defect exists and is widespread; not to know it would indicate an organization clueless of product aftermarket business such as parts and repair sales. Every report is almost exactly the same in reporting. its time for Ford to do the right thing - Issue a Vehicle Recall for rear door replacement at no cost to the owner.

- , Culloden, GA, USA

Feb 062012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

First one crack came up on left side of Ford emblem and now another also came up on left side. Both go from top to bottom of small panel just below rear tailgate window. Ford has known about this for years and yet won't do anything about it. I know from seeing other Explorers on the road I have seen and from all the people online that have this same problem. I hear there is a possible Class Action Lawsuit...I would like to know how to become a member of this lawsuit? Randy

- , Queen City, Texas, USA

Dec 262009

Explorer

I like to keep any vehicle as long as possible. Taking care of it, maintenance, have necessary repairs done, etc. Usually my vehicles last for years and years. My Ford Explorer is now 10 years old with less than 80K miles. If I had wrecked my car in some way I would have had it repaired. I like my vehicle to look nice. From no abuse or neglect or accident of the owner, the body of my vehicle just cracks! Ridiculous!! Cracked body, what am I driving, an egg?????? So far I haven't had any problems related to the crack in the back hatch, but wouldn't it be expected that water seeping in through the cracks would damage the electronic door lock assembly? It seems the integrity of the Ford Company is nonexistent concerning this issue.

Ford Company had the government's help in bailing them out of financial failure. Now they are producing many vehicles that seem quite popular and the company's sales are up. I think more of their potential customers should be made aware of this silly problem that Explorer owners experience and the fact that Ford just doesn't stand behind their product, pure and simple.

Why don't we design a back panel sticker to cover the crack that reads, "Ford Motor Company doesn't cover the crack that appeared on this door because of poor design. What am I driving, an egg or a big tough vehicle? Buyer beware of Ford Motor Vehicles."

- , Willow Spring, North Carolina, USA

Dec 152014

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

What can you say the Vehicle is ten yrs old the hinges had to be replaced and the pistons as well. I guess the stress was too much and one cold night the panel cracked, just to the right of the emblem from the top to bottom of the panel. I wouldn't waste my time with Ford they will just say how sorry they are to hear of my problem and is their any other way that we can help you.

- , Bradenton, FL, USA

Nov 012014

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

Mine is not the only car this happened to and Ford should repair

- , Millburn, NJ, USA

Nov 062013

Explorer

So everyone and their mother with a Ford Explorer XLT 2004 (certain years) has experienced the crack below the rear tailgate window... and what has FORD done... NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! NOT HAPPY

- , Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

Jan 012013

Explorer XLS 6.4L

My mother in law had her back window shatter because of this problem. This is crap!!!!!!Ford stand up and take care of your customers/ My next car may be from someone else.!!!!

- , Mooresville, IN, USA

Nov 122012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

The rear hatch cracked for no apparent reason. Went out to the vehicle in the morning and found that the hatch was cracked. I have seen many other Ford explorers with the same problem since I discovered mine cracked. I have asked several persons with a cracked hatch on their Ford Explorers how their hatches cracked and they told me that it just cracked on its own. It is quite awful that Ford wont do anything about since the vehicle is out of warranty, but is is so obvious that all the cracks are in the same place that it was a manufacturing defect.

I also had to have the hinges for the hatch replaced and was told by Ford that they are an item that needs replacing every 5-6 years. It is a shame that Ford won't stand behind their products when it is clearly a manufacturing defect.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

May 052010

Explorer

The crack started small and now is full crack down the back. I have seen other explorers just like mine with the same crack. you would think Ford would stand behind their vehicles.

- , Longview, IL, USA

Oct 312009

Explorer 4.0L V6

it was cracked when I purchased the vehicle. I see just about every vehicle with the crack on back panel.

- , Longwood, FL, USA