8.2

1. replace window regulator (299 reports)
  3. fixed it myself so I don't have to be ripped off by Ford (24 reports)
  4. replace window regulator with 2006 and newer regulator (16 reports)
  5. replace elevator cable (13 reports)
  6. Ford paid for most of the fix (10 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 31)

Oct 122013

F-150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L

Driver pwr side window completely fails in the down position? Are you kidding me, Ford? I'm wowed alright. Who goes out and buys these trucks new at over $50,000 after reading thru these complaint lists? I bought mine used. I will NEVER buy American again. Thank God my friend was willing to kill an entire Saturday fixing it for me.

- , Beltsville, MD, USA

Dec 052013

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Drivers side front window motor failure. The design lacked sufficient testing. Failure was sure to happen. Had to spend good money to fix the first time. The repair last for about 10 iterations of rolling up and down and failed a second time. This work was replaced under warranty.

- , Lebanon, MO, USA

Oct 202014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Right side rear window would not roll up. I bought parts at store, watched video and replaced it myself. It took a couple of hours or my time. This is the third motor I have had replaced and now the drivers window is acting up again.

- , Lebanon, MO, USA

Oct 282014

F-150 FX4 5.4L Triton

Got off work in the middle of the night in a heavy rain. Started up my pickup and pushed the button to roll down the driver's side window to clear off the condensation and the window just dropped like a brick into the door. Had a real unpleasant drive home in the pouring rain.

Ford knows their window regulators are crap on the 2004 F150. I have no idea how they're getting away without a recall when these have to be replaced multiple times. This definitely has the potential to be a safety hazard if it happens in inclement weather at freeway speeds.

- , Vancouver, WA, USA

Mar 252014

F-150 XLT 4.6L

I just purchased a 2004 Ford F150 Super Crew 4 door pickup and within two weeks 3 of the 4 windows have stopped working. The driver front went before I had a chance to get it safe so that had to be fix right away.Purchased the new regulator for $160 and installed it myself to save some money.

I just cannot believe that with so many complaints and the safety issues for this problem that Ford will still do nothing to fix this. I love the truck but what a pain in the ass having windows that I can't use unless I drop hundreds of dollars to fix it. Ford needs to own up and come good for this and help out all of these dedicated but enraged Ford drivers.

- , Forest, Ontario, canada

Dec 112013

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Have 5 Ford Trucks and SUV's sitting at the house right now. Have driven them for 40 years. This is the 3rd regulator I've changed in this crew cab in 60K miles. Now the Rear slider has quit too. Your window regulators are junk! 45K for the truck when new and you sell it with Junk power windows!

Looking at a Dodge diesel now!

- , Joplin, MO, USA

Aug 122010

F-150 5.2L

Second one to fail, dealer told me it was because we didn't use them enough. This was the second back window to break.

- , Canon, GA, USA

Dec 142011

F-150

2004 Ford F-150 has lots of horrible problems and Ford is not doing anything about it. I will NEVER buy a ford again. These problems are reported all over the internet, they should have been recalled. Especially for this year, I am not sure what happened but the mechanics all know about it and when I call Ford they don't care. The window mechanism is defective, you have only one option to spend $800 per window and then they will probably brake again within the year from what I have read. 3 out of 4 windows don't break within the same month randomly.... PERIOD. And the only reason the last one has not broken is because we have not used it. We pay a lot of money every month for our truck and we cannot afford the "repairs". Now its not even running because it needs a tune up which thanks to faulty wires will cost somewhere in the ball park of 2500. And yet ford again refused to do anything about it, they clearly do not care about the buyer.

- , Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jan 052011

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I've had 2 windows out of nowhere, drop into the door and not come back up. Both times while driving in the pouring rain. I had to tape plastic over the windows and took it to the dealer. the window regulator and basically a rubber cable were bad. I tried getting the door panel off myself, but found you need a special tool for the panels at a cost of about 75$, so I took it to the dealer and paid $465, not covered under warranty. I asked the mechanic about it after the second one broke 2 months later and he said it was an issue they knew about. WELL THEN FIX IT FORD.... I've had this truck for 3 yrs and have poured $10,000 plus into repairs on it. WORST TRUCK EVER> I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN, and I come from a Ford family and have had nothing but Fords from 1st vehicle I've owned. Never again.!!!

- , Shingle Springs, CA, USA

Sep 062010

F-150 XLT 5.4L

the rear driver side window may or may not roll up, it will go up to about 4" to the top and bog down like it's jammed, I haven't had it fixed due to the cost. I've had 2 other window regulators break and they run $465 to have the dealer fix.

- , Shingle Springs, CA, USA

Apr 052010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

The window has no problem rolling down (drivers side) but when to go up you have to click it a few times until the button seems to catch something, and the window rolls up with a bit of a grind noise > don't know what the problem is yet.

- , Fort Mcmurray, AB, canada

Jun 012012

F-150

All four of my windows have broken. It is embarrassing to own my Ford. I cannot believe that Fords knows about this and will not help the consumers out. I will never buy another Ford again. All they had to do was be honorable and make a recall to fix this problem and they chose not to.

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

Aug 312013

F-150

Winter 2012 the driver's window fell and I had no idea when. I hadn't driven the truck in over a wk. We had a snow storm and I was going to drive it when I found the seat full of snow. Drove it to the dealer and the cost was over $700 for that repair.

Fast forward to Aug 2013. I'm driving to the marina for a day of sun and fun and the rear driver side window falls as I'm going down the road. A friend of mine there took the door panel off and got the window up so we could wedge it closed using driftwood. That's a nice touch.

Oh my Ford wasn't done w/ me yet. On the same day......that evening after a day of boating I'm driving up RT 95 in the Washington DC area, lots of traffic but moving I hear road noise. I check the rear wedged window. Nope not that one. The front passenger window then starts its descent downward and won't come back up. I removed the panel and accessed the window via removing the speaker so it is now wedged closed w/ wood shims.

Being Labor Day no shops are open but I have a mechanic friend who just text-ed to tell me he will install if I get the regulators. Bless him! So all in all I will have replaced 3 of those suckers. I don't abuse the truck. I've put less than 7,000 mi on it in 2yrs. It looks like new (when the windows aren't shimmed shut w / driftwood and milled trees.)

Update from Sep 3, 2013: Got the regulators but had to go to 2 different auto parts shops which were, of course, across town from each other. Then one of them gave me the opposite rear door which was not broken. My mechanic friend fixed them and we decided to replace the one that hasn't broken just to be safe.

My having a mechanic friend saved me a bundle. I know there are a couple of videos online showing how to replace. I've not watched them but if you are inclined to be a bit handy you might want to. Each regulator cost me $135. Much less than the $700 I paid to fix the 1st one that broke.

Update from Oct 27, 2014: Well in Aug of 2013 I lost the driver rear winder regulator on a Sunday morning. That evening driving home from the marina I lost the passenger window regulator. I got both of those replaced and 2 weeks later on the way to vacation for a few days of surf fishing I lost the passenger rear window. I'm reporting each of these as separate incidents although since it is not a safety issue I doubt Ford will do a recall.

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Apr 282012

F-150 5.4L

While on vacation my passenger back window fell into the door well, I had to pry it up and then tape it closed, I didn't have the right tools to take off the door panel so I had to buy some at a auto center which added to the cost of the total repair. It seems Ford knows about this problem but does nothing for the consumer to solve this problem, I will not buy another Ford vehicle again !

- , Sandy, UT, USA

Aug 052013

F-150

This is the third window regulator we have had replaced in our 2004 Ford F150....come on Ford enough is enough!

- , Paris, MO, USA

Sep 062012

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

This is the first window regulator I have replaced on my truck. I have read about other folks having this problem, but did not think it was a big deal. This happened last week, and the reason I'm writing this today, is because today another one of the regulators (different door) failed as well.. What the hell?? I replaced the first one myself, and I just took out the second one, it is the same damn part that failed...small white plastic block where two of the guide wires connect....I will post the second complaint as soon as I get home and take a picture of the part....didn't realize I could post pictures here. Hopefully you guys at Ford are reading this and if nothing else reimburse us for the parts. The fix is pretty easy, just annoying as all heck.

- , Morris Plains, NJ, USA

Dec 042012

F-150 FX4 5.4L

have owned 1973,1978,1979,1985,1990,1999,2004,2005, ford products.bought the 2004 f150 new.all road miles working as insurance adjuster, computers ,printers, equipment in back seat.have had 5 window regulator cables snap, windows fall anytime day or night. come out of motel window will be down raining equipment will be wet . or riding down road 20 degrees with window down. it is real bad ford has not had a recall to fix problem.but i can fix the problem next time i buy a new vehicle.all the other fords i owned are great. too bad ford has not had a recall

- , Nathalie, VA, USA

Oct 012012

F-150 Super Crew 5.4L V8

Ford needs to recall their window assembly. The plastic clip holding the cable is what broke.

- , Acworth, GA, USA

Feb 182013

F-150

Third repair for same thing, 3 different windows. Each repair approximately $300.00

- , Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Aug 042012

F-150

Second of 3 repairs. Each repair approximately $300.00.

- , Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA