- August 13: Ford Faces Exhaust Odor and Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit news | 3 days ago
- August 10: Three Police Officers Sue Ford Over Carbon Monoxide Exposure news | 6 days ago
- August 2: Lawsuit Says Ford Lifted Trucks Have Wrong Jacks and Spare Tires news | 14 days ago
- August 1: 'Built Ford Tough' is Mere 'Puffery,' Says Federal Judge news | 15 days ago
- July 30: Ford and Mazda Want Out of Takata Recall of 2.7 Million Airbags recalls | 17 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
wheels / hubs Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer wheels / hubs Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- wheel bearing failure181
- hub and bearing failure81
- rear tire hub problems13
- wheel studs shear off12
- abnormal and premature tire wear4
- chrome peeling off wheels1
- NHTSA: Wheels56
- NHTSA: Tires27
- NHTSA: Wheels: Lugs/Nuts/Bolts10
- NHTSA: Wheels: Cap/Cover/Hub6
- NHTSA: Tires: Sidewall4
- NHTSA: Tires: Temporary/Emergency Spare Tire3
- NHTSA: Wheels: Multi Piece2
- NHTSA: Tires: Tread/Belt1
- NHTSA: Tires: Valve1
- NHTSA: Wheels: Center Section1
- NHTSA: Wheels: Rim 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.