7.8

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (210 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (102 reports)
  4. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  5. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
  6. replace dash (12 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 23)

Jan 012013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Initially I thought that my cracked dash cover was an isolated issue! I was somewhat comforted when I found through research that my issue was not mine alone! Since this issue is widespread, Dodge should replace this part (part & labor) at no charge to the vehicle owner in order to preserve brand loyalty! Minimally, Dodge should provide the part free of charge with free shipping and no handling charge to each Dodge Ram owner.

- , Ac, GA, USA

Dec 032014

Ram 1500

I keep my truck nicer than most cars! The dash falling apart is the only damage on the vehicle.

- , loveland, CO, USA

Oct 142014

Ram 1500 SXT 5.7L

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED BY DODGE AT THEIR EXPENSE. THE DASHES ARE CHEAP PLASTIC THAT WERE PROBABLY IMPORTED.

- , TUCSON, AZ, USA

May 052011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My truck was only 5 years old when the filler panel cracked in 5 places. The next year the dash cracked in 3 places. Never been wrecked

- , Smyrna, USA

Oct 012004

Ram 1500 ST 3.7L V6

This is totally ridiculous that Dodge has not replaced these hazards that could cause more damage to the vehicle and its passengers. I've taken this vehicle in numerous times only to be told it's cosmetic. But when I paid $26,000 for it that wasn't cosmetic or a problem. They knew these dashes were defective and still put them on vehicles. So what in the H did they need any bail out money I'm sure billions were save by cheating the consumer. So we should have said if you business is going under it's cosmetic so sorry.

- , Hampton, USA

Feb 012015

Ram 1500 XLT 4.9L

I purchased my truck in Dec. 2002. It's always been garaged and dash has been kept clean with Armor All or other products. I was totally surprised when my passenger noticed a crack a couple of months ago. A straight line crack, front to back. While looking to find a replacement piece online, I noticed a forum where I found this was a common occurrence due to poor manufacturing practices.

I have to say, adding this to the faulty post handle on the driver's side I replaced and the faulty, broken ash try hinge....this manufacturer of all these plastic parts has failed miserably.

- , Renton, USA

Apr 192013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Cracked dash in front of steering wheel and passenger top side in line with left side of glove box, are about 1" wide and looks horrible. Reports are that Dodge dealers are refusing to work on faulty airbags. Recall because dash falls apart during work.

- , Buena Park, CA, USA

May 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I bought the truck in 2004, sometime around 2011 the dash had a hairline crack. Today the dash is completely cracked and pieces of the dash is falling into the vents. I thought Dodge made quality products. My truck only has 87000 miles on it and it looks cheaply made.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I have taken excellent care of my truck since the day I bought it. In fact, after it gets washed, people often ask me if I bought a new truck, which is a nice compliment for a 12 year old truck. However, the dash is cracked in two places - driver and passenger side. The cracks run the entire depth of the dash and makes the truck look extremely cheap, which, quite frankly, is a black mark on Dodge.

Those same people that ask if my truck is new, when they get in ask "you obviously take great care of your truck. Did Dodge just totally cheap out on this particular part?"

Answer - yes.

- , Oxnard, CA, USA

Apr 012012

Ram 1500 V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

There is a crack (no, a total break 1/4 inch gap) on the passenger side of the dashboard. I took it to the dealer and they advised Dodge will NOT replace this even though there has been an obvious issue with this vehicle. It would expensive to repair this if I have to pay for this myself. Now, an additional concern is what is going to happen to the rest of this dash if they take the truck apart to replace the possibly defective airbag? I am concerned about anyone riding as a passenger in this vehicle. This is my primary vehicle for numerous trips I make with my camper as well as picking up other items I haul in this pickup.

We noticed this when it first occurred but thought it was normal for things to crack in the Texas sun. As it got bigger, we became aware this was NOT normal wear and tear for any vehicle.

Update from Apr 1, 2015: Adding picture of cracked dash. Unable to delete first picture which was in error.....

- , Midlothian, TX, USA

Feb 052014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

This is not cosmetic. The dash is cracked severely in two different areas.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 272007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dodge Ram dashboards SUCK...They literally disintegrates before your eyes.. DON'T EVER BUY A DODGE RAM!!!

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Passenger window fails to operate from right window switch but works from driver's side. Standard cab with no window lock button I could find. Passenger airbag on and tried with it off.

- , Hinesville, GA, USA

Aug 132013

Ram 1500 1500 5.7L

Pieces missing all over . When the windows down while driving , I had a piece come loose and hit my face. I jerked the wheel and almost hitting on coming traffic. I had to buy a dash cover, and now when taking off at a light , the cover slides and have to hold it down. Very dangerous problem.

- , Jupiter, FL, USA

Sep 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dash started as a small crack, but now is missing chucks. I tried to remove the broken pieces as they fell into the vents and parts just broke off and were very brittle.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Apr 122014

Ram 1500 LX V6

I want my dashboard replaced.

And I want Dodge to replace it.

- , Mauldin, SC, USA

Jul 122013

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

I love this truck and will fix it, I've taken care of it , and for the most part I'm very happy with it. Dodge stated the same things to me that I've been reading on all the sites, and I think they should have stood behind there product, at least some type of discount on the part. Very disappointed with them.

- , lindenhurst, NY, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I'm the original owner & this 2003 Ram 1500 has been well maintained. Only 50,000 miles on it in 12 years but the dash started falling apart about 6 or 7 years ago. The dealership refused to replace the dash under warranty, and quoted me about $1400 to fix it. It's gotten worse & worse, so now pieces of the dashboard are falling down into the wiring harnesses, & coincidentally I've had plenty of electrical problems.

It's obvious they had a defective batch of dashboards in 2003, so why don't they do the right thing & fix them. I've been shopping for a new truck & will probably go with Ford. Don't know if Ford is a better truck, but it just pisses me off that Dodge hasn't stepped up to the plate on this and made it right.

Oh well,, all I can do is steer clear of Dodge trucks in the future & let others know about the poor quality of their interiors.

- , Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Jan 052015

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Vent part of dash completely fell into small pieces and fell into inner part of dash. Was told when we tried to get it replaced that our warranty had been out 28 days and it was a cosmetic problem and in other words, a no go on getting it replaced and it was our problem. now and sorry about your luck. Has continued falling apart and now pieces fell into heating and cooling and heater core is out and truck sitting at repair shop to get fixed. Ordered the vent part of dash to replace it and upon removing larger part of dash it also fell into tiny pieces. It is a pain for me at 73 years old to put up with this and also have to find one to replace it so I can get my truck from the repair shop. Right now its a holdup for them. After all this there is an airbag recall to be done by the dealer and the dash removed again if I do have a it replaced completely.. Just think of the money the truck owners will be putting out to replace the broken dashes that fall apart when the dealers fix the airbag problem...Won't end up costing the company a dime.....

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 022012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Clearly manufacture defect. Have NEVER had a vehicle that did this. Out of no where one day dash started to crack. Yes Dodge, must be this harsh, terrible Southern California weather, or maybe that the car was babied and garaged most of the time. Truly terrible when a company will not stand up and back it's own product. The small cost to such a large company to make this right would far outweigh all of the negative press and opinions that are being generated by it.

- , Wilmington, CA, USA