7.8

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (198 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (95 reports)
  4. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (10 reports)
  6. replace dash (5 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 21)

Apr 152013

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI. Well Kept. This truck is clean enough that the cracked dash has destroyed the resale value. When I invested in this truck I never imagined that the dash would come apart. Just began to crack (first noticed) May 2013. I am very aware of other local cases to the extreme that the entire dash is gone.

I believe that Dodge and or Ram should consider my loss of revenue, as a result of my investment in what is otherwise an excellent machine. Have enjoyed it very much. Replace the dash. It has not put my eye out yet, or caused any horrific accidents.

ma.jennings@aol.com

- , Weatherford, TX, USA

Feb 122014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

My whole dashboard is falling apart ..I'm depressed because i dont have the pink slip yet and here i have to pay for a new dashboard on a fairly new truck..this makes not wanna buy another dodge..cause my ford didnt have this problem..maybe i should just trade it in for a different truck.. So pissed off and depressing I've gotten in fights with my spouse cause of it ..now i have dust particles from the dash coming into my face.

- , Buena Park, California, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 SLS 4.7L

since the 2003's have the sand in the engine issue eating up heater cores this is all on Dodge!!! you gotta take the dash out to replace the core. dumbass design! the dash flexes during removal and install causing a stress crack in the dash. btw....im on my 4th heater core in 200,000 miles at $700 bucks a pop and a sh*tty dash. and the blend door doesn't function too!!!!!!

im heading towards a shovel head and charcoal for heat...more reliable.

- , Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Jan 112014

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Take great care of my truck, even put a sun blocker up during the summer, and have never used any automotive products know to dry out plastic, yet it still cracked, all the way across.

- , Avon, IN, USA

Jun 052007

Ram 1500 4.6L

This is a serious issue. I own 3 ram pickups, my family owns a total of 7. All the dashes have cracks or holes except the 2009. I'm just waiting for it to happen any day.

- , Villa Rica, Georgia, USA

Jun 032013

Ram 1500 Quad Cab Slt 4.7L

THE DASH IS FALLING APART I CANT BELIEVE THIS THERE ARE BIG SHARP PIECES OF THE DASH THAT IS BREAKING AWAY SOME OF THE DASH IS FALLING IN . I CANT BELIEVE THE PRICE THAT YOU PAY FOR THESE TRUCKS AND SOMETHING LIKE THIS IS HAPPENING. THE PART OF THE DASH THAT CONTROLS THE AIR MOVING TO DIFFERENT PLACES. THESE PLASTIC FLAPS INSIDE THE HEAT AND AC UNIT ARE BROKEN OFF ALSO.TURN AC ON THE DRIVER IS COLD PASSENGER BURNS UP WITH HOT AIR I THINK DODGE SHOULD MADE TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS BECAUSE OF SAFETY ISSUES WITH DASH BREAKING APART. AND NOT BEING ABLE TO CONTROL HEAT AND AC IN WINTER TIME OR SUMMER

- , Bsl-southport, NC, USA

Oct 012009

Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi 5.7L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

It is bad enough that they use plastic for the whole dash let alone the crap they used. This should never have cracked like this no matter how old the car is or how much Sun it got. They need to replace this free of charge.

- , Fresno, Fresno, USA

Mar 152013

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Dashboard cracked in two places, above glove box and above speedometer. Called Chrysler, would not fix it even though I only have 54000 mi's and the original owner of the vehicle. Have filed a complaint/report with NHTSA.

- , Massapequa Park, NY, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This issue has been awful. pretty bad to spend so much money on a vehicle and have something like this happen. the worst part is when im driving i have to constantly look at my cracked dashboard and watch as pieces fall apart. I have no ac in the summer and no heat in the winter and living in the midwest and being winter now, lets just say its a very long and cold ride to work in the morning! Why hasn't there been a recall on this issue it sounds like there has been enough complaints! There's a couple of people i work with that have dodge rams and there dashboards are cracked in the same spot!

- , Rock Falls, IL, USA

Jul 312013

Ram 1500 Sport 5.8L V8

Truck overall has been quite a good unit. The center of the Dashboard has a crack perpendicular to the windshield and it's probably a matter of time before it becomes a major problem. Daimler Chrysler must have used cheap inferior plastic for these dash boards.

- , Atl, Florida, USA

May 132009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

The dashboard has become so brittle that it cracked in several places. It is now in four large pieces with lots of spider webbing. I can see in accident where the sharp flying edges may cause injuries to occupants.

- , Aiea, HI, USA

Dec 212011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

All the problems I've had with this truck is unbelievable. I have vent plastic pieces rattling thru the vents when they're on and it just keeps breaking apart. Dodge should be liable to fix this it has to be made of cheap plastic and that's a SHAME as much as these trucks are to pay for and maintain through Dodge and their BPMI subsidiary warranty company THEY should cover this!!!

- , Springfield, MO, USA

Aug 162012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

With such a nice truck, I can't believe they built the dash so cheap. Chrysler should replace them.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Dec 182009

Ram 1500 4.7L

dodge engineers should have had enough sense to know that you can't use a thin piece of plastic like they chose to stay in one piece especially being a one piece panel, this is another one of dodges many problems that should be recalled and repaired.

- , Vicco, KY, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

2003 DODGE RAM 1500 SLT: The dashboard has severe cracks in it starting back in 2010. I bought a carpet dash cover to protect the dash from further damage, but the cracks continued to get worse. In 2011 I could hear pieces falling into the dash and now my heating vents on the driver side will not open properly to allow heat to come through. During the winter time the passenger side vents blow hot air as normal, but the driver side is blowing whatever the outside temp is. I called Dodge to complain in 2011 and they said I would have to pay for a new dash. I paid my mechanic (independent) to fix the heating problem last year 2012. He fixed it and the vents all worked as normal for about 2 months. I told my mechanic it was doing the same thing again, and he told me the dashes continue to fall apart from the inside due to the cheap piece of plastic its made of, and this will continue to be an ongoing cycle. I don't expect the guy to keep fixing it everytime for free so for now, I'm just going to freeze my butt off during the winter. Thanks a lot Dodge, you will never get another cent out of me!

- , Sachse, TX, USA

Jan 072010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

a dashboard should never crack. Ive had numerous trucks and never happen. Defective dash.

inside poutside door is inside the dash on the heater box........it cracked and fell off....rarely used....never touched by human.....defective plastic againt....easy to fix when dashboard is being fixed

- , Elkton, Maryland, USA

Jun 232010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7lV8

You would think that when dodge built their trucks, they would have pride that they wouldn't cut corners on the parts that would be the first things you would see of bad quality in plain sight.

- , Coffeyville, Kansas, USA

Sep 192012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Started as one little crack and now it's spiderwebbing. Worried that my three year old son who rides in it could catch a piece of flying plastic. Dodge needs to fix this now!

- , Champaign, IL, USA

Jan 152010

Ram 1500 XLT 3.7L V8

Dodge has been my care company for more than 20 years. I have had my Dodge Ram 1500 4 x4 XLT Laramie since 2003 and it has been a wonderful truck. The dash board is now cracking pretty significantly and needs to be replaced. I am thinking it will be in the $1000.00 range because both pieces are cracking. Warranty has long been gone but I had this happen on my previous Chrysler Town and Country van as well. Frustrating to have to spend money for junk parts.

- , Hardyville, Virginia, USA

May 012013

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

Its a cracked dash, what else is there more to say.

I can say that I haven't used a lot of harsh chemicals that leach out the plasticizers over the life of this vehicle.

I certainly hope there's a recall.

- , Bristow, VA, USA