1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (216 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (107 reports)
  4. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  5. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
  6. replace dash (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 24)

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 4.7L

Every Dodge Ram (models from late 90s to maybe 05 or 06) I've seen have the same issue; cracked dashboards. Cracks and falling pieces, no spider web lines or anything. Dodge has failed to correct this issue even though the consequences can hurt people if the airbag is deployed and sharp pieces of plastic are projected into their face, eyes, etc.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8 Hemi

I just want a reasonable replacement option. $1500 for three plastic dash parts is not reasonable. Dash Caps are not possible since the current dash is broken into 20+ pieces, there is no foundation to attach caps to. My local Dodge Dealer, Tempe Dodge tells me these parts are no longer available anyway. Can anyone direct me to replacement parts that can be purchased for a few hundred dollars? Can we force Dodge to provide suitable replacement parts.

- , Tempe, AZ, USA

Aug 012014

Ram 1500 LS 4.7L

The dash started cracking after five years. Always garaged and cared for. Then suddenly, craaaaaaack, down the main stress point. Since then it has virtually disintegrated before my eyes. Huge pieces drop off daily and now my dash is a gaping hole filled with shard of plastic. I complained and, what? Out of warranty? Everybody I know that owns my year has this problem and Dodge refuses to admit it was a flaw in their design. The rest of the truck is perfect and still runs great.

- , San Marcos, CA, USA

May 102010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I just want to replace my dashboard myself. if not how is the dodge dealership going to charge me to do it. It's cracked really bad and every time I turn on the AC some insulation blows out the vents.

- , Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 002010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I purchased my truck in 2010 used. It had one small crack in the dash(about an inch) on passenger side.

I talked to local dealer about it to see if it could be repaired. He said NEW DASH. He said it was because the other owner had used amorer all on it .Told me not to use it anymore and it shouldn't get ant worse.He suggested I put a cover over it to protect it. Now it you TOUCH IT it falls apart. I am ashamed for people to look inside my truck. It is hard to believe that DODGE will not recall these dashes(at their expense).I really like this truck,couldn't wait to get it. Now if you try to sell it first thing people ask is the dash cracked.

Don't think I'll buy another DODGE after this.

- , Clover, SC, USA

Jul 232009

Ram 1500 Slt Sprot 5.7L V8

I love the performance of my 5.7 Ram Sport but only after 6years of it being in existence the dash board started to crack. The Cracks have now become huge shards of plastic that breaks off and moves around inside the truck. as I read on this website earlier, if I were to hit something head on and a shard of plastic broke loose, the airbag could potentially drive the piece of plastic right into my face or chest.

I think Dodge should at least pay half of the bill and use better material so that this would not happen within the next 6-7 years. A good Truck can be on the road for more than 20 years. I consider my truck to be a "good truck", I should not have to worry about being stabbed in the chest by a piece of dashboard.

I was not prepared to give pictures, I will provide later. I am a loyal Dodge truck owner, this is my third Dodge truck. in the past I have owned a 1997 white short bed sport that I kept for 3years 2000 prior to being transferred to Japan (military)I sold it. upon my return from Japan in 2003 I purchased a 1998 same color extended cab. I kept the '98 for two years until 2005 when I traded for the truck I have today. I have had no mechanical problems out of any of the trucks that I have owned.

- , Lemon Grove, CA, USA

May 032010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

This dash is definitely a safety hazard and, especially if involved in a wreck. Pieces of plastic will injure occupants. I can't believe how many dashes are involved. This is a definite design flaw and should be recalled.

- , Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 3.6

It started with three cracks. It has since become a big holes in the dashboard. I am the original owner of the truck. Never had a major problem with with the truck except for this one. It is not fail a company knows the dashboard were make with defective materials and will not conduct a recall. If I knew the truck was assemble with defective materials, I would have invested my money in it. I did not buy a used vehicle, I brought a brand new truck. the dashboard should be replaced by Dodge at no expense to me.

- , Edinburg, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 ST/SLT 5.7L

I can't believe Dodge won't do anything about the issue with dashes cracking. This is my third Dodge Ram and all three of them had cracked dashes. That is sad that they won't stand behind their products.

- , Craig, NE, USA

Aug 042015

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This is a manufacturing problem and Dodge should stand behind its products. I will never purchase another Dodge and anyone that ask me about it I will tell them, just don't do it. Simple as that.

- , New Caney, TX, USA

Aug 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I keep my truck in great shape and I've done several things to slow this process down but it keeps getting worse. It's sad that a company knows there's a problem but chooses to ignore it. This is my second Dodge (1987 Dakota) which I bought new and traded in on this truck and this might be my last Dodge.

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Sep 102014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Called for an estimate..total is $896 for the part and approximately $300-350 for labor. When one considers that there is no indication of improved replacement parts...a poor product will replace a poor product....at the risk of safety, depreciation, and aesthetics of a necessary vehicle. The safety factor is obviously the biggest issue and I am quite distressed that the manufacturer is willing and knowingly risking my family's safety. This will be a huge consideration for future purchases.

- , Windsor, ON, Canada

Jan 092013

Ram 1500 4.7L

Crappy parts. I have never in my life seen something so bad that is caused by material or workmanship.

- , Plano, USA

May 112011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I dropped into a Dodge dealership while stationed in Everett Washington in 2011 to inquire about a repair dash as it just started cracking and was told by the employees that this was a known issue with the Dodge Trucks but wasn't something they replaced for free. They offered to order the 1600+ dollar part and install it for an additional 400+ dollars. I declined. The dash has continued to crack but has not fallen apart. Now due to the passenger airbag repair/recall the auto work will require the dash to be replaced out of pocket which is bull because it isn't something I did and is a known safety issue with Dodge trucks. This repair should be covered by Dodge as it is a "KNOWN" issue.

- , Chula Vista, CA, USA

Mar 052004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

It is a damn shame that an auto maker as big as Dodge (as much as they brag about reliability) would let a vehicle look like this. Not only is it ugly but it is also very dangerous. If a person were to get in a wreck and the airbag should go off the dash is in little pieces like scrap metal and could blind, injure, or even kill. Yet they know about it, thousands of complaints and they refuse to recall it. This is my way of saying if anything should happen to me or my family because of this I can take all legal action available as they have been told of this condition.

- , Livingston, TX, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

My cracked dash has been annoying, but the issue has just become serious. I found out that they can't replace my defective airbag, included in the major recall, because of my cracked dash. The airbag attaches to the underside of the dash, and since it has already cracked, if they tried to remove the dash it will disintegrate. I guarantee, the Service guy was sorry he told me this information! When I inquired how much a new dash cost, I was told about $700, but none are available at this time, because of a back order. Then after reading the design flaw would still be in a replacement dash, what do you do? So ...here I am.

- , DeLand, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Initially I thought that my cracked dash cover was an isolated issue! I was somewhat comforted when I found through research that my issue was not mine alone! Since this issue is widespread, Dodge should replace this part (part & labor) at no charge to the vehicle owner in order to preserve brand loyalty! Minimally, Dodge should provide the part free of charge with free shipping and no handling charge to each Dodge Ram owner.

- , Ac, GA, USA

Dec 032014

Ram 1500

I keep my truck nicer than most cars! The dash falling apart is the only damage on the vehicle.

- , loveland, CO, USA

Oct 142014

Ram 1500 SXT 5.7L

May 052011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My truck was only 5 years old when the filler panel cracked in 5 places. The next year the dash cracked in 3 places. Never been wrecked

- , Smyrna, USA