7.8

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (201 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (97 reports)
  4. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (11 reports)
  6. replace dash (6 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 22)

Jun 142010

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I am a car enthusiast. I keep my vehicles immaculate inside and out. It's very frustrating to spend hours keeping your vehicle maintained only to have pieces fail. I've owned this vehicle from new. When it was about 7 years old, the dash started cracking. It spread like cancer. Now, it has numerous cracks and pieces from the vent grilles have fallen down into the main plenum. As a result of this, the defrost doors do not close on any setting. On hot, humid days in the summer with the a/c on, the cold air going through the defrost vents actually causes the air to condense on the outside of the windshield. This fogs up the windshield and obstructs the view. This is dangerous. I have to constantly use the wipers to clear the condensation. Luckily, there have not been any pieces flying out of the vents yet. Also, to add insult to injury, I was going to trade it in for a new one (I ultimately re-considered) and the dealer subtracted money from my trade-in due to the condition of the dash (as well as the rotted rear fenders) which both I had no control over. I have seen other brand trucks of the same year with no cracks in their dashes.

I hope that Ram steps up to the plate and recalls these dashes due to obvious material failure which could result in injury or death.

- , Blackstone, MA, USA

Jul 062014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

I recently noticed the crack on my dash and it seems to have gotten a bit larger. This is frustrating because I take great care of my truck. I also have a 2005 Dodge SRT-4 that had the same issue and my only solution was to buy the dash and install it myself. Apparently Dodge is having issues with the type of plastic material they are using. The dash for the Dodge Ram is not cheap at all. My truck only has 71,500 miles on it and has always been parked under my carport as it is my secondary vehicle. I hope Dodge steps up to the plate and takes care of this as I have been a loyal Dodge fan for many years.

- , Buena Park, CA, USA

Jun 152013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

It was bad enough when the Dodge dealer blamed me for the dash cracks, now that it is coming completely apart, the vents are full of cracked pieces and sometimes doesn't let enough air to blow to know the air conditioning is on. Fear the worse is to come. This week a piece fell in and jammed the steering. Several months ago, I had a piece fall off and get under the accelerator.

Now that the dash is starting to literately fall apart, I think this is now a "killer" truck.

- , Pleasant Grove, AL, USA

May 242014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

this is the 3rd dodge ram 1500 I have had and they all have ended up dashboard has cracked. I have tried giving them a chance but this is just damn ridiculous. I mean you pay 18-30,000 for a truck you expect them to be building you a high quality truck not a piece of sh*t made from junk plastic that busts so easy. yes truck has few years on it but two of the three trucks were rather new maybe 4 years old and the dashes started cracking, and to hear dodge say yeah we know but oh well really pisses me off. what happened to building a truck to last. my brother in law has an 80 model and drives it on farm and has over 300,000 miles has replaced motor and tranny but no trouble with dash or interior. I keep mine in shade and use windshield cover and has still cracked and heat vents are busting and going down vent. dodge you need to stop and take a minute to rethink your look on this cause. this is my last dodge truck. friend has a nice chevy truck and very few problems and dodge, I mean transmission went out on other one at 90,000 and it exploded. my son has a 99 and his dash looks like you hit it with a sledge hammer someone please try and get the dodge people to start respecting the customers and help us owners and to use better materials to build parts out of. I've been patient and tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but this is bullshit you either spend 200-300 dollars or more on new one or buy a cover to hide their crap. looks like they enjoy building junk and figure fools buy them. once would have fought someone talking about dodge, now I'm cussing them - high dollar sh*tty trucks !!!

- , Randolph, VA, USA

Jul 112014

Ram 1500 LST 5.7L Hemi V8

I was driving my 2003 dodge ram today, a truck with a new engine and new warranty and kept in absolute perfect condition, when the dashboard suddenly cracked. A piece flew up and hit me in the face and only my sunglasses, which are now broken, saved me from losing my entire eye. This is appalling. This should never happen to anybody ever. I'm so thankful my children were not in the car when it happened as they surely would've been injured. If Chrysler thinks this isn't a safety issue then they are sorely mistaken and negligent. I'm furious.

- , Westlake Village, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 Thunder Road 5.7L

Just one more aggravated customer who took care of his vehicle and and the dashboard crack clean through in two places. This shouldn't happen on vehicles nowadays. This is a problem form the 80's.

- , Athens, Alabama, USA

Apr 032014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

At this point I just chalk it up as "what did I expect? It's a Dodge..."

- , Ft Riley, KS, USA

Apr 012008

Ram 1500 ST 5.7L

I HAVE HAD THIS RAM SINCE NEW, I HAVE HAD FEW COMPLAINTS ABOUT IT AS IT IS A GREAT TRUCK. I KEEP IT CLEAN BOTH INSIDE AND OUT AND MOST PEOPLE CAN'T BELIEVE IT IS A 2003. BUT THE DASHBOARD IS AWFUL IT HAS NUMEROUS CRACKS. I HAVE TRIED TO REPAIR IT WITH VARIOUS MATERIALS BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK ON IT. I KNOW A FEW OTHER RAM OWNERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM SO THIS MUST BE A DESIGN FLAW AND A RECALL IS NEEDED

- , Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jun 092014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Definitely warrants a recall From Dodge, this is hugely widespread.

- , Howes Cave, New York, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I bought my 2003 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 5.7 L Hemi brand new 0 miles, well maybe 6 or 7 miles on it. The dash started cracking around 2010, 1 small crack in the middle of the dash. Then a few months later another one, and so on. My dash now looks like a dropped glass plate. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, with a Dodge Ram from 1999 to about 2006 is having this problem, yet no recall. Thousands of complaints, but this is not a Dodge defect, no not at all.

They sell a cover to go over the cracked dash, wouldn’t it still make extremely nauseating noise, maybe not. You can replace it from Dodge, installed $2,500. Oh by the way, Dodge recommends you replace your actuator and evaporator while you have the dash out, because they usually go out around 100,000 miles, that’s just wonderful, looking forward to that.

I guess I will end up buying the dash from Dodge, thanks Dodge, and maybe youtube how to do it myself, I have to wonder, will the new dash crack up like the old one, wouldn’t that just make your day. I know, Dodge has got me by the balls and I know it.

- , Orange City, FL, USA

May 082013

Ram 1500 SLT Lone Star 5.7L

Ford should use this as the reason not to buy a Dodge. I was warned that this would happen. I have had the car from day 1. Always well taken care of. I thought about buying a replacement, but I am sure that it will just happen all over again.

Dodge has known this problem has existed for years. I feel taken advantage of.

- , The Colony, TX, USA

May 082013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

My dash is falling apart. This is terrible. There needs to be a recall on this situation

- , rockford, IL, USA

Apr 152013

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI. Well Kept. This truck is clean enough that the cracked dash has destroyed the resale value. When I invested in this truck I never imagined that the dash would come apart. Just began to crack (first noticed) May 2013. I am very aware of other local cases to the extreme that the entire dash is gone.

I believe that Dodge and or Ram should consider my loss of revenue, as a result of my investment in what is otherwise an excellent machine. Have enjoyed it very much. Replace the dash. It has not put my eye out yet, or caused any horrific accidents.

ma.jennings@aol.com

- , Weatherford, TX, USA

Feb 122014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

My whole dashboard is falling apart ..I'm depressed because i dont have the pink slip yet and here i have to pay for a new dashboard on a fairly new truck..this makes not wanna buy another dodge..cause my ford didnt have this problem..maybe i should just trade it in for a different truck.. So pissed off and depressing I've gotten in fights with my spouse cause of it ..now i have dust particles from the dash coming into my face.

- , Buena Park, CA, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 SLS 4.7L

since the 2003's have the sand in the engine issue eating up heater cores this is all on Dodge!!! you gotta take the dash out to replace the core. dumbass design! the dash flexes during removal and install causing a stress crack in the dash. btw....im on my 4th heater core in 200,000 miles at $700 bucks a pop and a sh*tty dash. and the blend door doesn't function too!!!!!!

im heading towards a shovel head and charcoal for heat...more reliable.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 112014

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Take great care of my truck, even put a sun blocker up during the summer, and have never used any automotive products know to dry out plastic, yet it still cracked, all the way across.

- , Avon, IN, USA

Jun 052007

Ram 1500 4.6L

This is a serious issue. I own 3 ram pickups, my family owns a total of 7. All the dashes have cracks or holes except the 2009. I'm just waiting for it to happen any day.

- , Villa Rica, GA, USA

Jun 032013

Ram 1500 Quad Cab Slt 4.7L

THE DASH IS FALLING APART I CANT BELIEVE THIS THERE ARE BIG SHARP PIECES OF THE DASH THAT IS BREAKING AWAY SOME OF THE DASH IS FALLING IN . I CANT BELIEVE THE PRICE THAT YOU PAY FOR THESE TRUCKS AND SOMETHING LIKE THIS IS HAPPENING. THE PART OF THE DASH THAT CONTROLS THE AIR MOVING TO DIFFERENT PLACES. THESE PLASTIC FLAPS INSIDE THE HEAT AND AC UNIT ARE BROKEN OFF ALSO.TURN AC ON THE DRIVER IS COLD PASSENGER BURNS UP WITH HOT AIR I THINK DODGE SHOULD MADE TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS BECAUSE OF SAFETY ISSUES WITH DASH BREAKING APART. AND NOT BEING ABLE TO CONTROL HEAT AND AC IN WINTER TIME OR SUMMER

- , Bsl-southport, NC, USA

Oct 012009

Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi 5.7L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

It is bad enough that they use plastic for the whole dash let alone the crap they used. This should never have cracked like this no matter how old the car is or how much Sun it got. They need to replace this free of charge.

- , Fresno, Fresno, USA

Mar 152013

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Dashboard cracked in two places, above glove box and above speedometer. Called Chrysler, would not fix it even though I only have 54000 mi's and the original owner of the vehicle. Have filed a complaint/report with NHTSA.

- , Massapequa Park, NY, USA