7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (218 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (112 reports)
  4. replace dash (14 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 24)

Feb 032010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dash has been busted through for about 3 years. Then completely disintegrated when I attempted to removed it to replace the heater core.

- , Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Dec 262012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

they should have already recalled this problem. dodge uses useless material on their dashes. ive seen other types of trucks at salvage yards with very bad front end collisions and the dash was still in tact, but u drive my dodge down the road with windows down and the wind will blow shards of the dash in your face then they want to charge me 266.00 just for the uper defrost vent cover of dash thats thier fault dash is falling apart

- , Hot Springs, AR, USA

Feb 022016

Ram 1500 SL 3.2L V6

Dash of my pickup began rapid disintegration. I looked it up on line an discovered this is a huge problem for several years of production (2002-2005). Dodge won't fix it. Given the age of the truck I could live with a dash cover replacement but I think they should have them available and install them as part of a recall. Do I think it will happen? No. Will this influence my next car purchase. Oh Yes!

- , Woodbury, NJ, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 1500 4.6L

My 2003 Dodge Ram's dash is falling apart. I've used the window shade and still the freaking thing is falling apart. Today I put my window down and a piece of it flew into my eye. I almost hit another car by veering right. I had to pull off the road to dig it out. Dodge YOU SUCK. This is an obvious factory defect. If it were 1 or 2 I'd say different but it's not. Bunch od crap that I'll NEVER buy again. I'll tell everyone I know that's in the truck shopping mode to stay away. Why should we support them, they're not supporting us.

- , New Bern, NC, USA

Mar 022016

Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 5.7L V8

THE CRACKED AND DISINTEGRATING DASH IS A SAFETY CONCERN FOR ME AND MY FAMILY AND SHOULD BE FIXED BY DODGE.

- , Huntley, IL, USA

Nov 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.3L

Dash board is cracking to pieces. part has dropped down in the fan for the vents.

- , Winnsboro, SC, USA

Jun 072009

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

Like everyone else that has the same problem, dash broken and cracked, foam blowing out the vents. I suspect the foam build up around my control valve to switch from defrost to direct heat/ac to floor or face is why it has such a hard time converting it over. All car makers have issues, some take care of loyal customers (mostly imports) some don't care. Problem is the new dash they replace it with has the same problem, until there s a costly lawsuit involving serious injury and deemed a faulty dashboard contributed to the injury, nothing will be done

Update from Mar 28, 2016: say goodbye to your dash if you get the airbag recall done on the passenger side

- , Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Feb 012016

Ram 1500 SLT Hemi

Owned truck for 8 years, always parked inside pole barn. Went to sweep it out this weekend and seen the dash was cracked from far right vent to side window vent. Chrysler needs to recall this.

- , Columbia City, IN, USA

Jan 142009

Ram 1500 SLT

My dash on my 2003 Dodge Ram started cracking on my Dodge truck and it got so bad that I had to cover it up. I just want Dodge to replace it so I can be happy with my truck again.

- , Bartlesville, OK, USA

Aug 152007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

dashboard was cracking within 3yrs & not covered per dodge?

It is pathetic to have a truck that was seldom used and was like new except for the cracks in the Dashboard, which started at about 8,000 miles and about 4yrs after buying it and gradually got worse. I complained to the Dealer about the “Cracking Dashboard” in 2008 & 2011 only to be told that dashboard cracks are not covered… I believe that it is a major safety hazard and fear of a future day my airbags deploy as it may send hundreds of flying projectiles into the face, eyes and lungs… The CPSC should force a recall base on the potential safe hazard!

- , Monrovia, USA

Jan 152015

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I am very disappointed with the Dodge Ram dash boards. I have multiple cracks in my dash. I keep my truck clean as a whistle. Wax it every year before winter and after winter. It is spot less, and now I have this awful dash that had so many cracks! I want something to be done!!!!

- , Pa, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 4.7L

Every Dodge Ram (models from late 90s to maybe 05 or 06) I've seen have the same issue; cracked dashboards. Cracks and falling pieces, no spider web lines or anything. Dodge has failed to correct this issue even though the consequences can hurt people if the airbag is deployed and sharp pieces of plastic are projected into their face, eyes, etc.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8 Hemi

I just want a reasonable replacement option. $1500 for three plastic dash parts is not reasonable. Dash Caps are not possible since the current dash is broken into 20+ pieces, there is no foundation to attach caps to. My local Dodge Dealer, Tempe Dodge tells me these parts are no longer available anyway. Can anyone direct me to replacement parts that can be purchased for a few hundred dollars? Can we force Dodge to provide suitable replacement parts.

- , Tempe, AZ, USA

Aug 012014

Ram 1500 LS 4.7L

The dash started cracking after five years. Always garaged and cared for. Then suddenly, craaaaaaack, down the main stress point. Since then it has virtually disintegrated before my eyes. Huge pieces drop off daily and now my dash is a gaping hole filled with shard of plastic. I complained and, what? Out of warranty? Everybody I know that owns my year has this problem and Dodge refuses to admit it was a flaw in their design. The rest of the truck is perfect and still runs great.

- , San Marcos, CA, USA

May 102010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I just want to replace my dashboard myself. if not how is the dodge dealership going to charge me to do it. It's cracked really bad and every time I turn on the AC some insulation blows out the vents.

- , Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 002010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I purchased my truck in 2010 used. It had one small crack in the dash(about an inch) on passenger side.

I talked to local dealer about it to see if it could be repaired. He said NEW DASH. He said it was because the other owner had used amorer all on it .Told me not to use it anymore and it shouldn't get ant worse.He suggested I put a cover over it to protect it. Now it you TOUCH IT it falls apart. I am ashamed for people to look inside my truck. It is hard to believe that DODGE will not recall these dashes(at their expense).I really like this truck,couldn't wait to get it. Now if you try to sell it first thing people ask is the dash cracked.

Don't think I'll buy another DODGE after this.

- , Clover, SC, USA

Jul 232009

Ram 1500 Slt Sprot 5.7L V8

I love the performance of my 5.7 Ram Sport but only after 6years of it being in existence the dash board started to crack. The Cracks have now become huge shards of plastic that breaks off and moves around inside the truck. as I read on this website earlier, if I were to hit something head on and a shard of plastic broke loose, the airbag could potentially drive the piece of plastic right into my face or chest.

I think Dodge should at least pay half of the bill and use better material so that this would not happen within the next 6-7 years. A good Truck can be on the road for more than 20 years. I consider my truck to be a "good truck", I should not have to worry about being stabbed in the chest by a piece of dashboard.

I was not prepared to give pictures, I will provide later. I am a loyal Dodge truck owner, this is my third Dodge truck. in the past I have owned a 1997 white short bed sport that I kept for 3years 2000 prior to being transferred to Japan (military)I sold it. upon my return from Japan in 2003 I purchased a 1998 same color extended cab. I kept the '98 for two years until 2005 when I traded for the truck I have today. I have had no mechanical problems out of any of the trucks that I have owned.

- , Lemon Grove, CA, USA

May 032010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

This dash is definitely a safety hazard and, especially if involved in a wreck. Pieces of plastic will injure occupants. I can't believe how many dashes are involved. This is a definite design flaw and should be recalled.

- , Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 3.6

It started with three cracks. It has since become a big holes in the dashboard. I am the original owner of the truck. Never had a major problem with with the truck except for this one. It is not fail a company knows the dashboard were make with defective materials and will not conduct a recall. If I knew the truck was assemble with defective materials, I would have invested my money in it. I did not buy a used vehicle, I brought a brand new truck. the dashboard should be replaced by Dodge at no expense to me.

- , Edinburg, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 ST/SLT 5.7L

I can't believe Dodge won't do anything about the issue with dashes cracking. This is my third Dodge Ram and all three of them had cracked dashes. That is sad that they won't stand behind their products.

- , Craig, NE, USA