7.8

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (204 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (98 reports)
  4. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  5. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
  6. replace dash (7 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 22)

May 232006

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Had a crack when I bought it (used). Now it's terrible. Definitely a manufacturing defect, other makers do not have this problem and Ram should be required to replace it.

- , Huffman, T, USA

Nov 052007

Ram 1500

I want Dodge to step up and admit wrong doing and replace the dash boards, I will NOT buy another Chrysler product until it's fixed. Goodby Chrysler!!!!

- , Lighthouse Point, Florida, USA

Dec 122013

Ram 1500 LXT 5.7L V8 Hemi

THE DASH CRACKED AND JUST GOT WORSE. FINALLY WENT TO REPLACE IT AND UNAVAILABLE AT DEALER OR YARDS. LOOKS LIKE A PIECE OF JUNK NOW. PARTS DEALER SAID IT'S A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH IT CRACKING AND NO PARTS ARE AVAILABLE FOR IT. THIS TRUCK IS RIDICULOUS. I AM MAD. DODGE SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.

- , Raytown, Missouri, USA

Oct 302014

Ram 1500 LS 5.7L V8

When I researched buying my 2003 Ram 1500, I saw some complaints about dash cracking problems but assumed they were overblown. Have loved my truck with very few problems until this morning when I climbed in and noticed huge crack across my dash, looks terrible and makes me nervous about safety issues now. I won't buy a Ford because I got screwed with their spark plug issue in their trucks when they would not fix their problems, that cost me 4000 dollars to fix my motor. Now Dodge won't fix their screw ups either. Next truck will be a Chevy and hope they will stand behind their products.

- , Elroy, WI, USA

Jul 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

They need to fix the problem. Chrysler not only needs to recall the problem with the cracked dash but other problems. I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 that has several issue that needs to be recalled this is a bunch of sh*t that you pay so much for a truck that just falls apart right before your eyes. They need to stand by there product and do what is right. Recall recall recall!!!

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 152014

Ram 1500 Lonestar V6

My truck looks terrible with the dash completely shattered. Just don't have the money to fix it. I was given a estimate by the dealership of around $800 parts and labor. I have 29 year old Pontiac and the dash is complete like the day I brought it. I love my Dodge truck.

- , San Antonio, Texas, USA

Dec 002011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Cracked dash fell against an air bag connector and shorted out, setting the console area on fire. I used the fire extinguisher that had been under the seat for years, so no major damage. The Dodge tech said he was surprised the air bag wasn't deployed or something,but they wanted over $100.00 to test to see if it is still working, yea sure I'm going to spend another $100.00 on this piece of crap. Before I left, he suggested I rip out the cracked up dash before I get hurt.

- , Pleasant Grove, AL, USA

Nov 062013

Ram 1500 Hemi

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I SENT A PICTURE OF MY TRUCK. YOU CAN SEE ITS IN REALLY NICE SHAPE. THIS CRACKED DASH IS REALLY A POOR QUALITY DESIGN. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'D WANT ME REPRESENTING DODGE THIS WAY. MY GRANDDAUGHTER WENT TO GET SOMETHING THAT ROLLED ON THE DASH AND CUT HER ARM ON THIS DASH.

THAT'S WHEN I DECIDED ITS TIME TO LET YOU KNOW I NEED TO HAVE IT REPLACED. I FEEL WITH THE PRICE YOU CHARGE FOR THESE TRUCKS AND ALL THE COMPLAINTS THERE ARE ABOUT THIS SAME ISSUE, THAT DODGE SHOULD DO SOMETHING TO FIX THIS BEFORE SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS HAPPENS...

- , holly hill, florida, USA

Mar 272014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

dashboard and passenger side air bag cover busted, the dash cover busted all to hell and the air bag cover is busted and flopping, posing a danger to passengers.

- , Roderfield, WV, USA

Jun 142010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I am a car enthusiast. I keep my vehicles immaculate inside and out. It's very frustrating to spend hours keeping your vehicle maintained only to have pieces fail. I've owned this vehicle from new. When it was about 7 years old, the dash started cracking. It spread like cancer. Now, it has numerous cracks and pieces from the vent grilles have fallen down into the main plenum. As a result of this, the defrost doors do not close on any setting. On hot, humid days in the summer with the a/c on, the cold air going through the defrost vents actually causes the air to condense on the outside of the windshield. This fogs up the windshield and obstructs the view. This is dangerous. I have to constantly use the wipers to clear the condensation. Luckily, there have not been any pieces flying out of the vents yet. Also, to add insult to injury, I was going to trade it in for a new one (I ultimately re-considered) and the dealer subtracted money from my trade-in due to the condition of the dash (as well as the rotted rear fenders) which both I had no control over. I have seen other brand trucks of the same year with no cracks in their dashes.

I hope that Ram steps up to the plate and recalls these dashes due to obvious material failure which could result in injury or death.

- , Blackstone, MA, USA

Jul 062014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

I recently noticed the crack on my dash and it seems to have gotten a bit larger. This is frustrating because I take great care of my truck. I also have a 2005 Dodge SRT-4 that had the same issue and my only solution was to buy the dash and install it myself. Apparently Dodge is having issues with the type of plastic material they are using. The dash for the Dodge Ram is not cheap at all. My truck only has 71,500 miles on it and has always been parked under my carport as it is my secondary vehicle. I hope Dodge steps up to the plate and takes care of this as I have been a loyal Dodge fan for many years.

- , Buena Park, CA, USA

Jun 152013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

It was bad enough when the Dodge dealer blamed me for the dash cracks, now that it is coming completely apart, the vents are full of cracked pieces and sometimes doesn't let enough air to blow to know the air conditioning is on. Fear the worse is to come. This week a piece fell in and jammed the steering. Several months ago, I had a piece fall off and get under the accelerator.

Now that the dash is starting to literately fall apart, I think this is now a "killer" truck.

- , Pleasant Grove, AL, USA

May 242014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

this is the 3rd dodge ram 1500 I have had and they all have ended up dashboard has cracked. I have tried giving them a chance but this is just damn ridiculous. I mean you pay 18-30,000 for a truck you expect them to be building you a high quality truck not a piece of sh*t made from junk plastic that busts so easy. yes truck has few years on it but two of the three trucks were rather new maybe 4 years old and the dashes started cracking, and to hear dodge say yeah we know but oh well really pisses me off. what happened to building a truck to last. my brother in law has an 80 model and drives it on farm and has over 300,000 miles has replaced motor and tranny but no trouble with dash or interior. I keep mine in shade and use windshield cover and has still cracked and heat vents are busting and going down vent. dodge you need to stop and take a minute to rethink your look on this cause. this is my last dodge truck. friend has a nice chevy truck and very few problems and dodge, I mean transmission went out on other one at 90,000 and it exploded. my son has a 99 and his dash looks like you hit it with a sledge hammer someone please try and get the dodge people to start respecting the customers and help us owners and to use better materials to build parts out of. I've been patient and tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but this is bullshit you either spend 200-300 dollars or more on new one or buy a cover to hide their crap. looks like they enjoy building junk and figure fools buy them. once would have fought someone talking about dodge, now I'm cussing them - high dollar sh*tty trucks !!!

- , Randolph, VA, USA

Jul 112014

Ram 1500 LST 5.7L Hemi V8

I was driving my 2003 dodge ram today, a truck with a new engine and new warranty and kept in absolute perfect condition, when the dashboard suddenly cracked. A piece flew up and hit me in the face and only my sunglasses, which are now broken, saved me from losing my entire eye. This is appalling. This should never happen to anybody ever. I'm so thankful my children were not in the car when it happened as they surely would've been injured. If Chrysler thinks this isn't a safety issue then they are sorely mistaken and negligent. I'm furious.

- , Westlake Village, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 Thunder Road 5.7L

Just one more aggravated customer who took care of his vehicle and and the dashboard crack clean through in two places. This shouldn't happen on vehicles nowadays. This is a problem form the 80's.

- , Athens, Alabama, USA

Apr 032014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

At this point I just chalk it up as "what did I expect? It's a Dodge..."

- , Ft Riley, KS, USA

Apr 012008

Ram 1500 ST 5.7L

I HAVE HAD THIS RAM SINCE NEW, I HAVE HAD FEW COMPLAINTS ABOUT IT AS IT IS A GREAT TRUCK. I KEEP IT CLEAN BOTH INSIDE AND OUT AND MOST PEOPLE CAN'T BELIEVE IT IS A 2003. BUT THE DASHBOARD IS AWFUL IT HAS NUMEROUS CRACKS. I HAVE TRIED TO REPAIR IT WITH VARIOUS MATERIALS BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK ON IT. I KNOW A FEW OTHER RAM OWNERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM SO THIS MUST BE A DESIGN FLAW AND A RECALL IS NEEDED

- , Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jun 092014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Definitely warrants a recall From Dodge, this is hugely widespread.

- , Howes Cave, New York, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I bought my 2003 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 5.7 L Hemi brand new 0 miles, well maybe 6 or 7 miles on it. The dash started cracking around 2010, 1 small crack in the middle of the dash. Then a few months later another one, and so on. My dash now looks like a dropped glass plate. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, with a Dodge Ram from 1999 to about 2006 is having this problem, yet no recall. Thousands of complaints, but this is not a Dodge defect, no not at all.

They sell a cover to go over the cracked dash, wouldn’t it still make extremely nauseating noise, maybe not. You can replace it from Dodge, installed $2,500. Oh by the way, Dodge recommends you replace your actuator and evaporator while you have the dash out, because they usually go out around 100,000 miles, that’s just wonderful, looking forward to that.

I guess I will end up buying the dash from Dodge, thanks Dodge, and maybe youtube how to do it myself, I have to wonder, will the new dash crack up like the old one, wouldn’t that just make your day. I know, Dodge has got me by the balls and I know it.

- , Orange City, FL, USA

May 082013

Ram 1500 SLT Lone Star 5.7L

Ford should use this as the reason not to buy a Dodge. I was warned that this would happen. I have had the car from day 1. Always well taken care of. I thought about buying a replacement, but I am sure that it will just happen all over again.

Dodge has known this problem has existed for years. I feel taken advantage of.

- , The Colony, TX, USA