7.8

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (207 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (102 reports)
  4. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  5. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
  6. replace dash (11 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 23)

May 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I bought the truck in 2004, sometime around 2011 the dash had a hairline crack. Today the dash is completely cracked and pieces of the dash is falling into the vents. I thought Dodge made quality products. My truck only has 87000 miles on it and it looks cheaply made.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I have taken excellent care of my truck since the day I bought it. In fact, after it gets washed, people often ask me if I bought a new truck, which is a nice compliment for a 12 year old truck. However, the dash is cracked in two places - driver and passenger side. The cracks run the entire depth of the dash and makes the truck look extremely cheap, which, quite frankly, is a black mark on Dodge.

Those same people that ask if my truck is new, when they get in ask "you obviously take great care of your truck. Did Dodge just totally cheap out on this particular part?"

Answer - yes.

- , Oxnard, CA, USA

Apr 012012

Ram 1500 V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

There is a crack (no, a total break 1/4 inch gap) on the passenger side of the dashboard. I took it to the dealer and they advised Dodge will NOT replace this even though there has been an obvious issue with this vehicle. It would expensive to repair this if I have to pay for this myself. Now, an additional concern is what is going to happen to the rest of this dash if they take the truck apart to replace the possibly defective airbag? I am concerned about anyone riding as a passenger in this vehicle. This is my primary vehicle for numerous trips I make with my camper as well as picking up other items I haul in this pickup.

We noticed this when it first occurred but thought it was normal for things to crack in the Texas sun. As it got bigger, we became aware this was NOT normal wear and tear for any vehicle.

Update from Apr 1, 2015: Adding picture of cracked dash. Unable to delete first picture which was in error.....

- , Midlothian, TX, USA

Feb 052014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

This is not cosmetic. The dash is cracked severely in two different areas.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 272007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dodge Ram dashboards SUCK...They literally disintegrates before your eyes.. DON'T EVER BUY A DODGE RAM!!!

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Passenger window fails to operate from right window switch but works from driver's side. Standard cab with no window lock button I could find. Passenger airbag on and tried with it off.

- , Hinesville, GA, USA

Aug 132013

Ram 1500 1500 5.7L

Pieces missing all over . When the windows down while driving , I had a piece come loose and hit my face. I jerked the wheel and almost hitting on coming traffic. I had to buy a dash cover, and now when taking off at a light , the cover slides and have to hold it down. Very dangerous problem.

- , Jupiter, FL, USA

Sep 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dash started as a small crack, but now is missing chucks. I tried to remove the broken pieces as they fell into the vents and parts just broke off and were very brittle.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Apr 122014

Ram 1500 LX V6

I want my dashboard replaced.

And I want Dodge to replace it.

- , Mauldin, SC, USA

Jul 122013

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

I love this truck and will fix it, I've taken care of it , and for the most part I'm very happy with it. Dodge stated the same things to me that I've been reading on all the sites, and I think they should have stood behind there product, at least some type of discount on the part. Very disappointed with them.

- , lindenhurst, NY, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I'm the original owner & this 2003 Ram 1500 has been well maintained. Only 50,000 miles on it in 12 years but the dash started falling apart about 6 or 7 years ago. The dealership refused to replace the dash under warranty, and quoted me about $1400 to fix it. It's gotten worse & worse, so now pieces of the dashboard are falling down into the wiring harnesses, & coincidentally I've had plenty of electrical problems.

It's obvious they had a defective batch of dashboards in 2003, so why don't they do the right thing & fix them. I've been shopping for a new truck & will probably go with Ford. Don't know if Ford is a better truck, but it just pisses me off that Dodge hasn't stepped up to the plate on this and made it right.

Oh well,, all I can do is steer clear of Dodge trucks in the future & let others know about the poor quality of their interiors.

- , Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Jan 052015

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Vent part of dash completely fell into small pieces and fell into inner part of dash. Was told when we tried to get it replaced that our warranty had been out 28 days and it was a cosmetic problem and in other words, a no go on getting it replaced and it was our problem. now and sorry about your luck. Has continued falling apart and now pieces fell into heating and cooling and heater core is out and truck sitting at repair shop to get fixed. Ordered the vent part of dash to replace it and upon removing larger part of dash it also fell into tiny pieces. It is a pain for me at 73 years old to put up with this and also have to find one to replace it so I can get my truck from the repair shop. Right now its a holdup for them. After all this there is an airbag recall to be done by the dealer and the dash removed again if I do have a it replaced completely.. Just think of the money the truck owners will be putting out to replace the broken dashes that fall apart when the dealers fix the airbag problem...Won't end up costing the company a dime.....

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 022012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Clearly manufacture defect. Have NEVER had a vehicle that did this. Out of no where one day dash started to crack. Yes Dodge, must be this harsh, terrible Southern California weather, or maybe that the car was babied and garaged most of the time. Truly terrible when a company will not stand up and back it's own product. The small cost to such a large company to make this right would far outweigh all of the negative press and opinions that are being generated by it.

- , Wilmington, CA, USA

May 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My 98 dash cracked after the warranty was up. The 2001 did the same & the 2003 I bought used in 2004 cracked 3 years later. All three look like a disaster! If they were only cracks that would be bad, but the cracks turned into pieces flying off when hitting a bump in the road.

Along with my 1998 pickup I have owned a 1961 Dodge Phoenix as my second new car & over the years I have owned 23 Chrysler, Dodge & Plymouth cars & trucks from my 1961 to date! I have owned Chrysler, Daimler-Chrysler & now will be buying FCA stock. I am sure that SERGIO Marchionie would not be happy that us previous to FCA owners have been ignored for years. Lee Iacoca would not be very happy to hear about our wonderful dashboards either! I have also had to replace an engine in my 2004 Durango that blew a hole in the block 7000 miles after the warranty expired. & an engine in my 2003 Dodge pickup 12000 miles

after the warranty expired.

For now it would be nice to see some response about our dashboards ! ! !

Nick Angiuli

- , Palm Beach, FL, USA

May 232006

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Had a crack when I bought it (used). Now it's terrible. Definitely a manufacturing defect, other makers do not have this problem and Ram should be required to replace it.

- , Huffman, T, USA

Nov 052007

Ram 1500

I want Dodge to step up and admit wrong doing and replace the dash boards, I will NOT buy another Chrysler product until it's fixed. Goodby Chrysler!!!!

- , Lighthouse Point, FL, USA

Dec 122013

Ram 1500 LXT 5.7L V8 Hemi

THE DASH CRACKED AND JUST GOT WORSE. FINALLY WENT TO REPLACE IT AND UNAVAILABLE AT DEALER OR YARDS. LOOKS LIKE A PIECE OF JUNK NOW. PARTS DEALER SAID IT'S A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH IT CRACKING AND NO PARTS ARE AVAILABLE FOR IT. THIS TRUCK IS RIDICULOUS. I AM MAD. DODGE SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.

- , Raytown, MO, USA

Oct 302014

Ram 1500 LS 5.7L V8

When I researched buying my 2003 Ram 1500, I saw some complaints about dash cracking problems but assumed they were overblown. Have loved my truck with very few problems until this morning when I climbed in and noticed huge crack across my dash, looks terrible and makes me nervous about safety issues now. I won't buy a Ford because I got screwed with their spark plug issue in their trucks when they would not fix their problems, that cost me 4000 dollars to fix my motor. Now Dodge won't fix their screw ups either. Next truck will be a Chevy and hope they will stand behind their products.

- , Elroy, WI, USA

Jul 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

They need to fix the problem. Chrysler not only needs to recall the problem with the cracked dash but other problems. I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 that has several issue that needs to be recalled this is a bunch of sh*t that you pay so much for a truck that just falls apart right before your eyes. They need to stand by there product and do what is right. Recall recall recall!!!

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 152014

Ram 1500 Lonestar V6

My truck looks terrible with the dash completely shattered. Just don't have the money to fix it. I was given a estimate by the dealership of around $800 parts and labor. I have 29 year old Pontiac and the dash is complete like the day I brought it. I love my Dodge truck.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA