7.9

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (223 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (119 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 25)

Feb 092012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

My dashboard has been cracking for years now and keep using black silicon to hold it together...already replaced the back vent piece twice and now looks like I will soon have to replace the front half. This is crap and looks like it is going to be a royal pain in the ass to do. This shouldn't be happening to something you're spending over 30,000.00 TO BUY

- , York, SC, USA

Oct 062014

cracked dashboard

This is such a easy fix for the manufacture ,own up to your blunder fix the problem maybe you will have repeat costumer . No response to me would move on to a competitor. Your move.

- , Bristol, VA, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500

A simple case of inferior non UV resistant plastic material used to manufacture this part. I have a plastic soft water conditioner salt bin that has sat in the sun now for over 45 years and STILL has not cracked. The technology and chemicals have existed for that long to allow plastic to hold up in the sun. It just cost a fewpennies more per pound to make plastic UV resistant..Chrysler or the supplier that made the dash for Chrysler cheaped out on the raw materials to make the dash and now 10's of thousands of Dodge customers pay the the price for Chrysler not making sure the product was designed and produced properly. Over all the truck has been a good truck but this is BS, it is clear it is not an isolated problem and they should own up to it and at least off a skin replacement.

- , COVINA, CA, USA

May 092014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This is a problem that all dodge customers have and dodge will not help us. Mine is cracked all around the passenger side air bag and i have recall on it now.

- , N. Richland Hills, TX, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7

The dashboard has begun cracking apart since about 2012.

- , Blue River, OR, USA

Mar 242005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

As much as a new vehicle costs these days (of which this one was) it is really sad that the workmanship is this poor on them.

- , Rocky Face, GA, USA

Aug 152015

Ram 1500 SLT 5.8L Hemi

The dashboard has single crack in it. I received a recall to replace the air bag. the dealer will not replace the air bag without fixing the dashboard. This is no longer a "COSMETIC" issue.

- , Jackson, NJ, USA

Nov 182013

Ram 1500 3.7L

I feel that the material used for the dash is substandard. should be replaced by the manufacturer. This is unacceptable.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Apr 132010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Am needing to replace the evaporator core in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. To do so I will need to remove my entire dash, which is in shambles. Afraid that should I remove the dash to replace the evaporator core my dash will shatter into a million pieces and I'm left with an instrument cluster duct taped to my steering column. So, am going t have to live without A/C...in South Florida...thanks Dodge!!!!

- , Naples, FL, USA

Jan 152014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8 Hemi

cracked dashboard

I am the 2nd owner of this 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. It has been a wonderful vehicle for me over the past 10 years with very minimal problems. In January 2014, I drove over a speed bump and while doing so, I heard a "pop" sound from the dash area. I didn't think anything of it at the time. The next day, I noticed a crack in the main dash area that extended from the front to the seam (3/4 back to the windshield). Over the past 2 years, as you see in the photos, the cracking has continued and become worse to the point large sections broke off and fallen down into the dash. One piece had jammed an a/c blending door actuator, which I was able to pry out and fix the door. My concern is, if I am unfortunate enough to be involved in a collision, where are those razor sharp shards of plastic going to hit when the passenger airbag deploys? I no longer allow my grandchild to ride in this vehicle due to the dash cracks. If an area of the dash is pressed on, a large section just breaks off as if the plastic is the consistency of a cracker. Dodge created this dash and has put my safety and the safety of all other owner at risk. This should be on a priority list for a recall. I've owned vehicles from other makers older than this one and have never had an issue with plastic dash boards cracking.

- , Marana, AZ, USA

Jun 012005

Ram 1500 SLT

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Bought this vehicle brand new after retirement from US Army with expectations of keeping the truck for long term. Within a couple of years I noticed a small stress fracture which over time has produced a cracked dash board that rattles when you drive and sore for the eyes to look at. I am very disappointed in Dodge and hope that Dodge will do the right thing for the consumers who have experienced the same problem. Replace dashboard at no cost to consumer NOW! At this time I would not buy another dodge product or recommend to my friends to buy one. Dodge, stand by your product and change my feelings.

- , Lincolnton, GA, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 4.8L

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Looking terrible is the lease of my problems;

I'm having Electrical issues with my turning signals and Brake lights going out a few times per years also i keep getting a dash indicator showing "light out "then goes away. I'm worry because i gave the truck to my youngest son years ago and i'm always having to remind him to be careful. If i could afford a new truck i would buy it for him but, it WON'T ever be a DODGE or Ram vehicle.

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

May 132015

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

This year after my factory recall for air bag problem there was significant more damage to the dashboard . This is poor product makeup and poor dealership in not saying anything about it. The problem got totally worse after they completed the recall. Pieces have broken off and fallen down inside of dash. What say ye?

- , Bristol, VA, USA

Nov 012010

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8

Daimler Chrysler really used cheap plastic for the dash in this vehicle. Cracking in many spots regardless of covering the dash with a sun reflector. Just junk, and now affordable replacement. The dash covers are not a solution. They just cover it up, but the mess remains underneath.

- , Kyiv, Ukraine

Oct 012015

Ram 1500 4x4 Stl 5.7L

This problem could cause injury in an accident. The plastic used to make the dashboard was defective and will crack into small pieces causing injury to driver and passengers.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 252006

Ram 1500 LS 5.7L

I like the truck all except dashboard that is probably the worst design and workmanship l have ever seen. It started to crack in 2006, and was right down the middle after that the cracks were every where. now it's starting to have pieces are starting to fall out of it. Like I said this sorriest workmanship I haver seen.

- , Jacksonville, FL, US

Jun 152000

Ram 1500 5.7L

This dash is definitely a safety hazard, especially if involved in a wreck. Pieces of plastic will injure occupants. I can't believe how many dashes are involved. This is a definite design flaw and should be recalled.

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

May 052013

Ram 1500

Started cracking after extended warranty expired along with other problems after warranty expired

- , Humble, TX, USA

Feb 012016

Ram 1500 Larime 5.7L

Had a small crack, no biggie. Then I took it in for an air bag recall. When I picked it up the passenger side dash is a total mess. I bring it to the dealers attention and they say no way we did it, we go thru the glove box, never touched the dash??? Total bullshit and I told them as much! They gave me the customer service number for Dodge. I call, and while I am on the line, Dodge puts me on hold to call my dealer where I had the recall done. The dealer says that "they may have done the damage" WTF!! I go back to the dealer and they say tough sh*t.

My truck may be a 2003, but it looks like new! The dash rattles and God help my passenger if the air bag ever deploys. It would cut them to pieces.

- , Greenwood, SC, USA

Feb 052015

Ram 1500 4.7L

Ok I purchased a 2003 doge ram low miles clean looks good and no problems but the dashboard if you tap on it it could make a hole it is barely holding together it cracks all of the vent covers have dropped off into the vents leaving just holes this is not a problem normally seen on any vehicle its a screwup in manufacturing this dashboard is falling apart like he material it is made of is faulty.

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, US