7.8

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (211 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (103 reports)
  4. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  5. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
  6. replace dash (12 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 23)

Jan 092013

Ram 1500 4.7L

Crappy parts. I have never in my life seen something so bad that is caused by material or workmanship.

- , Plano, USA

May 112011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I dropped into a Dodge dealership while stationed in Everett Washington in 2011 to inquire about a repair dash as it just started cracking and was told by the employees that this was a known issue with the Dodge Trucks but wasn't something they replaced for free. They offered to order the 1600+ dollar part and install it for an additional 400+ dollars. I declined. The dash has continued to crack but has not fallen apart. Now due to the passenger airbag repair/recall the auto work will require the dash to be replaced out of pocket which is bull because it isn't something I did and is a known safety issue with Dodge trucks. This repair should be covered by Dodge as it is a "KNOWN" issue.

- , Chula Vista, CA, USA

Mar 052004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

It is a damn shame that an auto maker as big as Dodge (as much as they brag about reliability) would let a vehicle look like this. Not only is it ugly but it is also very dangerous. If a person were to get in a wreck and the airbag should go off the dash is in little pieces like scrap metal and could blind, injure, or even kill. Yet they know about it, thousands of complaints and they refuse to recall it. This is my way of saying if anything should happen to me or my family because of this I can take all legal action available as they have been told of this condition.

- , Livingston, TX, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

My cracked dash has been annoying, but the issue has just become serious. I found out that they can't replace my defective airbag, included in the major recall, because of my cracked dash. The airbag attaches to the underside of the dash, and since it has already cracked, if they tried to remove the dash it will disintegrate. I guarantee, the Service guy was sorry he told me this information! When I inquired how much a new dash cost, I was told about $700, but none are available at this time, because of a back order. Then after reading the design flaw would still be in a replacement dash, what do you do? So ...here I am.

- , DeLand, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Initially I thought that my cracked dash cover was an isolated issue! I was somewhat comforted when I found through research that my issue was not mine alone! Since this issue is widespread, Dodge should replace this part (part & labor) at no charge to the vehicle owner in order to preserve brand loyalty! Minimally, Dodge should provide the part free of charge with free shipping and no handling charge to each Dodge Ram owner.

- , Ac, GA, USA

Dec 032014

Ram 1500

I keep my truck nicer than most cars! The dash falling apart is the only damage on the vehicle.

- , loveland, CO, USA

Oct 142014

Ram 1500 SXT 5.7L

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED BY DODGE AT THEIR EXPENSE. THE DASHES ARE CHEAP PLASTIC THAT WERE PROBABLY IMPORTED.

- , TUCSON, AZ, USA

May 052011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My truck was only 5 years old when the filler panel cracked in 5 places. The next year the dash cracked in 3 places. Never been wrecked

- , Smyrna, USA

Oct 012004

Ram 1500 ST 3.7L V6

This is totally ridiculous that Dodge has not replaced these hazards that could cause more damage to the vehicle and its passengers. I've taken this vehicle in numerous times only to be told it's cosmetic. But when I paid $26,000 for it that wasn't cosmetic or a problem. They knew these dashes were defective and still put them on vehicles. So what in the H did they need any bail out money I'm sure billions were save by cheating the consumer. So we should have said if you business is going under it's cosmetic so sorry.

- , Hampton, USA

Feb 012015

Ram 1500 XLT 4.9L

I purchased my truck in Dec. 2002. It's always been garaged and dash has been kept clean with Armor All or other products. I was totally surprised when my passenger noticed a crack a couple of months ago. A straight line crack, front to back. While looking to find a replacement piece online, I noticed a forum where I found this was a common occurrence due to poor manufacturing practices.

I have to say, adding this to the faulty post handle on the driver's side I replaced and the faulty, broken ash try hinge....this manufacturer of all these plastic parts has failed miserably.

- , Renton, USA

Apr 192013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Cracked dash in front of steering wheel and passenger top side in line with left side of glove box, are about 1" wide and looks horrible. Reports are that Dodge dealers are refusing to work on faulty airbags. Recall because dash falls apart during work.

- , Buena Park, CA, USA

May 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I bought the truck in 2004, sometime around 2011 the dash had a hairline crack. Today the dash is completely cracked and pieces of the dash is falling into the vents. I thought Dodge made quality products. My truck only has 87000 miles on it and it looks cheaply made.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I have taken excellent care of my truck since the day I bought it. In fact, after it gets washed, people often ask me if I bought a new truck, which is a nice compliment for a 12 year old truck. However, the dash is cracked in two places - driver and passenger side. The cracks run the entire depth of the dash and makes the truck look extremely cheap, which, quite frankly, is a black mark on Dodge.

Those same people that ask if my truck is new, when they get in ask "you obviously take great care of your truck. Did Dodge just totally cheap out on this particular part?"

Answer - yes.

- , Oxnard, CA, USA

Apr 012012

Ram 1500 V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

There is a crack (no, a total break 1/4 inch gap) on the passenger side of the dashboard. I took it to the dealer and they advised Dodge will NOT replace this even though there has been an obvious issue with this vehicle. It would expensive to repair this if I have to pay for this myself. Now, an additional concern is what is going to happen to the rest of this dash if they take the truck apart to replace the possibly defective airbag? I am concerned about anyone riding as a passenger in this vehicle. This is my primary vehicle for numerous trips I make with my camper as well as picking up other items I haul in this pickup.

We noticed this when it first occurred but thought it was normal for things to crack in the Texas sun. As it got bigger, we became aware this was NOT normal wear and tear for any vehicle.

Update from Apr 1, 2015: Adding picture of cracked dash. Unable to delete first picture which was in error.....

- , Midlothian, TX, USA

Feb 052014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

This is not cosmetic. The dash is cracked severely in two different areas.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 272007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dodge Ram dashboards SUCK...They literally disintegrates before your eyes.. DON'T EVER BUY A DODGE RAM!!!

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Passenger window fails to operate from right window switch but works from driver's side. Standard cab with no window lock button I could find. Passenger airbag on and tried with it off.

- , Hinesville, GA, USA

Aug 132013

Ram 1500 1500 5.7L

Pieces missing all over . When the windows down while driving , I had a piece come loose and hit my face. I jerked the wheel and almost hitting on coming traffic. I had to buy a dash cover, and now when taking off at a light , the cover slides and have to hold it down. Very dangerous problem.

- , Jupiter, FL, USA

Sep 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dash started as a small crack, but now is missing chucks. I tried to remove the broken pieces as they fell into the vents and parts just broke off and were very brittle.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Apr 122014

Ram 1500 LX V6

I want my dashboard replaced.

And I want Dodge to replace it.

- , Mauldin, SC, USA