- February 11: Ford Wins $3 Million Ford Ranger Lawsuit on Appeal news | 11 days ago
- February 1: Ford Sudden Deceleration Lawsuit Aims At Throttle Body System news | 21 days ago
- January 26: Ford Recalls F-150, Focus and C-MAX recalls | 27 days ago
- January 13: Ford Recalls 816,000 Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 40 days ago
- January 1: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Denied Class-Action Certification news | 52 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer steering Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- steering column broke in half6
- power steering went out2
- steering wheel vibrates at highway speed2
- very sensitive1
- NHTSA: Steering106
- NHTSA: Steering: Column25
- NHTSA: Steering: Rack And Pinion7
- NHTSA: Steering: Hydraulic Power Assist System4
- NHTSA: Steering: Gear Box (Other Than Rack And Pinion)3
- NHTSA: Steering: Wheel And Handle Bar3
- NHTSA: Steering: Gear Box: Shaft Sector2
- NHTSA: Steering: Linkages: Tie Rod Assembly2
- NHTSA: Steering: Column Locking: Anti-Theft Device1
- NHTSA: Steering: Rack And Pinion: Pinion Shaft1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.